|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, "The Psychology of Pleasure", Nathaniel Branden (1964).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
(a) Working on a project.
(c) Writing a song.
(d) Watching television.
2. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and guilt.
(b) Anxiety and frivolity.
(c) Reason and control.
(d) Belief and guilt.
3. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
4. In what year was "The Ethics of Emergencies" written?
5. Which of the following words is not included in those Rand uses to describe desire?
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
2. According to Branden, what must human beings have in order to have pleasure?
3. To be selfish is not simply to act on the basis of a __________.
4. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
5. What must one have before being able to find meaningful relationships with others?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)