|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, "The Psychology of Pleasure", Nathaniel Branden (1964).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
2. What must one have before being able to find meaningful relationships with others?
(a) Self worth.
(b) Self interest.
3. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
(b) Watching television.
(c) Working on a project.
(d) Writing a song.
4. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
5. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
(a) Better, worse.
(b) Worse, better.
(c) Lower, higher.
(d) Higher, lower.
Short Answer Questions
1. To be selfish is not simply to act on the basis of a __________.
2. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
3. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
4. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
5. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)