|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, "The Psychology of Pleasure", Nathaniel Branden (1964).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
(a) Writing a song.
(b) Working on a project.
(d) Watching television.
2. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
3. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
4. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
(c) Rational interests.
(d) Total freedom.
5. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and guilt.
(b) Belief and guilt.
(c) Reason and control.
(d) Anxiety and frivolity.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Rand write the essay, "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
2. According to "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", one must ask which question about the desired action?
3. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
4. What is necessary for the existence of self-esteem according to Branden?
5. What does Branden identify as being referred to as an "evil" by Mystics?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)