|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, "The Psychology of Pleasure", Nathaniel Branden (1964).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
(a) That everyone is selfish.
(b) That selfishness is the right way.
(c) That not all people are selfish.
(d) That selfishness is cruel and wrong.
2. Which law does Rand propose should be used to determine man's interests?
(a) Law of the Land.
(b) Law of Identity.
(c) Law of Actual Reality.
(d) Laws of the Self.
3. Which of the following is included in the four considerations of man's view of rationality that Rand describes?
4. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
5. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
(c) Elimination of context.
(d) A drop-key.
Short Answer Questions
1. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
2. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
3. Complete the sentence. A _________ person's desire for pleasure is the desire to escape reality.
4. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of the objectivist?
5. In what year did Rand write the essay, "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)