|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, "The Psychology of Pleasure", Nathaniel Branden (1964).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
(b) Working on a project.
(c) Writing a song.
(d) Watching television.
2. What type of scheme does Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism attempt to illustrate?
(c) Pros and cons.
(d) Cause and effect.
3. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
4. According to Branden, what must human beings have in order to have pleasure?
(c) A sense of purpose.
(d) Self esteem.
5. Which law does Rand propose should be used to determine man's interests?
(a) Law of Identity.
(b) Laws of the Self.
(c) Law of the Land.
(d) Law of Actual Reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
2. Finish the sentence based upon Rand's theory: One must achieve interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of another's ______.
3. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
4. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
5. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)