|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, "The Psychology of Pleasure", Nathaniel Branden (1964).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
(a) Directly and with proper intent.
(b) Complete and Incomplete.
(c) Purely and Directly.
(d) Directly and Indirectly.
2. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
(b) Christian dogma.
(c) The government.
(d) Traditional doctrines.
3. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
(a) Flatter your prospective employer.
(b) Only apply for a job in which you are extremely over-qualified.
(c) Explain your competence.
(d) Tell the employer of your competitor's incompetence.
4. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
5. Rand believes that because of altruism, what is the only reason people help others?
(c) Public Recognition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nathaniel Branden in the context of this collection?
2. Complete the sentence. A _________ person's desire for pleasure is the desire to escape reality.
3. According to Branden, what must human beings have in order to have pleasure?
4. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of the objectivist?
5. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)