|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, "The Psychology of Pleasure", Nathaniel Branden (1964).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
(b) Jesus Christ.
2. What does Branden identify as being referred to as an "evil" by Mystics?
3. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
(b) Self amorous.
4. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and guilt.
(b) Belief and guilt.
(c) Anxiety and frivolity.
(d) Reason and control.
5. Who is Nathaniel Branden in the context of this collection?
(a) Rand's favorite writer.
(b) Rand's associate.
(c) The creator of Objectivism.
(d) Rand's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
2. Which law does Rand propose should be used to determine man's interests?
3. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
4. Which of the following is not included in Branden's list of avenues where people find pleasure?
5. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)