|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the green pamphlets sent out by the Chamber of Commerce about?
2. What class does Lux Lisbon often skip with Julie Winthrop?
3. When the boys get to the Lisbon house, who is waiting for them?
4. Where does Mrs. Lisbon take the girls after removing them from school?
5. What health issue is Lux discovered to have while in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Lisbon's vision of a ghost.
2. How did Lux's date end?
3. How does Mr. Lisbon's behavior at school change after Cecilia's suicide?
4. Describe Mary Lisbon's favorite way to pass time during the imprisonment.
5. What do the boys see when they first look into the Lisbons' home on June 15th?
6. What happens on Trip Fontaine's vacation in Acapulco that changes his life significantly?
7. What was the media's first reaction to Cecilia's suicide, and why?
8. Describe the physical changes happening to the Lisbon home.
9. What do the boys make of Therese's ham radio conversations?
10. How do the boys spend the early part of the evening on June 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trip Fontaine is a central character in the Lisbon girls' story, especially Lux's. Compare and contrast his life with that of the Lisbon girls. What is his purpose in the novel? What does he represent to the girls, and to their parents, and to the town as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the story of the Lisbon girls to the story of the dying elm trees. How does one represent the other? How are they connected?
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes of The Virgin Suicides is grief. How do different characters in the novel deal with their grief? Are some ways more effective than others? Why or why not?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)