|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the neighbors suspect the Lisbons are getting their food from?
2. What does Mr. Lisbon attempt to flush down the toilet?
3. What song's lyrics are published in the newspaper as a possible cause of the Lisbon girls' suicides?
4. Who fetches the Lisbons' mail?
5. Who does Mr. Lisbon think for a few moments is a ghost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on Trip Fontaine's vacation in Acapulco that changes his life significantly?
2. How do the Lisbon girls save, at least temporarily, their elm tree?
3. What signs did the Lisbon girls show of rejoining the community?
4. What was the media's first reaction to Cecilia's suicide, and why?
5. How did the three older girls end their evening at the dance?
6. Describe Mary Lisbon's favorite way to pass time during the imprisonment.
7. Describe the state of the Lisbon house in Chapter 4.
8. How does Mr. Lisbon's behavior at school change after Cecilia's suicide?
9. How did the Lisbons deal with their friends' and neighbors' offers of sympathy?
10. How did Trip Fontaine "make his move" regarding Lux?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Old Mrs. Karafilis is introduced in Chapter 4 and is only active for a short portion of the book. She, however, represents several important factors otherwise missing from the characters surrounding the Lisbon girls' tragedy. Describe Old Mrs. Karafilis, her connection to the girls, and the importance her character has on the telling of the story.
Essay Topic 2
We have talked a lot about setting in the context of this novel. Please discuss in an essay what the setting of The Virgin Suicides is, how it affects the story, how it affects the characters, and how the characters affect the setting.
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes of The Virgin Suicides is grief. How do different characters in the novel deal with their grief? Are some ways more effective than others? Why or why not?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)