Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Lisbon talk about with the neighborhood fathers who come to visit?
2. What is Old Mrs. Karafilis' weekly ritual?
3. Where does Mary go by herself?
4. What does Trip ask Mr. Lisbon during fourth period?
5. In what condition is the Lisbons' basement?
Essay Topic 1
Jeffrey Eugenides opens the book with the last Lisbon girl's suicide. How does that set the tone for the novel? Is it helpful to the reader or does it take away from the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the story of the Lisbon girls to the story of the dying elm trees. How does one represent the other? How are they connected?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Old Mrs. Karafilis is introduced in Chapter 4 and is only active for a short portion of the book. She, however, represents several important factors otherwise missing from the characters surrounding the Lisbon girls' tragedy. Describe Old Mrs. Karafilis, her connection to the girls, and the importance her character has on the telling of the story.
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)