|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose car do the boys take to the dance?
2. What kind of music does Mrs. Lisbon listen to?
3. What is Lux observed doing on the roof of the house?
4. What does Trip do when faced with the headmaster one afternoon after returning from his car?
5. How does Old Mrs. Karafilis travel up and down stairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of the Lisbon house in Chapter 4.
2. What was "The Day of Grieving" and how was it observed?
3. What is Dr. Hornicker's opinion of Lux after meeting with her in the hospital?
4. What do the boys see when they first look into the Lisbons' home on June 15th?
5. How did Lux's date end?
6. How did the three older girls end their evening at the dance?
7. How did the Lisbons deal with their friends' and neighbors' offers of sympathy?
8. How do the Lisbon girls save, at least temporarily, their elm tree?
9. What do the boys make of Therese's ham radio conversations?
10. How did Trip Fontaine "make his move" regarding Lux?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We have talked a lot about setting in the context of this novel. Please discuss in an essay what the setting of The Virgin Suicides is, how it affects the story, how it affects the characters, and how the characters affect the setting.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Dr. Hornicker recurs throughout the novel. What is his significance? How does he contribute to the story? What is his effect, if any, on the Lisbon family?
Essay Topic 3
Please discuss the use and effectiveness of foreshadowing throughout the novel. How does Eugenides use it to set the tone? How does it affect the reader? Is it effective? Please explain your answer.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)