|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men of the neighborhood try to remove?
2. What does Trip ask Mr. Lisbon during fourth period?
3. Where do the neighbors suspect the Lisbons are getting their food from?
4. What class does Lux Lisbon often skip with Julie Winthrop?
5. What do the boys find in the basement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the media frenzy following the triple suicide, the boys, "For the first time ever...sympathized with the President because we saw how wildly our sphere of influence was misrepresented by those in no position to know what was going on." Please explain what they meant by this and discuss its justification.
Essay Topic 2
Trip Fontaine is a central character in the Lisbon girls' story, especially Lux's. Compare and contrast his life with that of the Lisbon girls. What is his purpose in the novel? What does he represent to the girls, and to their parents, and to the town as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes of The Virgin Suicides is grief. How do different characters in the novel deal with their grief? Are some ways more effective than others? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)