|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the boys get to the Lisbon house, who is waiting for them?
2. What does Mrs. Lisbon force Lux to destroy?
3. Where does Mary go by herself?
4. What major project is the Parks Department working on?
5. What does Trip ask Mr. Lisbon during fourth period?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the physical changes happening to the Lisbon home.
2. What do the boys make of Therese's ham radio conversations?
3. How did the three older girls end their evening at the dance?
4. What was "The Day of Grieving" and how was it observed?
5. What was the media's first reaction to Cecilia's suicide, and why?
6. How did Lux's date end?
7. Describe the state of the Lisbons' basement on June 15th.
8. Describe the state of the Lisbon house in Chapter 4.
9. How do the boys spend the early part of the evening on June 15?
10. How do the Lisbon girls save, at least temporarily, their elm tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Virgin Suicides is full of sexual and religious symbolism. Please choose at least three major symbols and explain their significance to the story and relation to one another, and explain how these two seemingly disparate subjects intertwine.
Essay Topic 2
One of the major themes of The Virgin Suicides is grief. How do different characters in the novel deal with their grief? Are some ways more effective than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Dr. Hornicker recurs throughout the novel. What is his significance? How does he contribute to the story? What is his effect, if any, on the Lisbon family?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)