|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys find in the basement?
2. What does Trip ask Mr. Lisbon during fourth period?
3. Who is Miss Lynn Kilsem?
4. What do Trip and Lux do under the bleachers?
5. Whose car do the boys take to the dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lux's date end?
2. Describe the state of the Lisbon house in Chapter 4.
3. What was "The Day of Grieving" and how was it observed?
4. What is Mrs. Lisbon's reaction to Lux's disobedience?
5. How did the Lisbons deal with their friends' and neighbors' offers of sympathy?
6. Describe the physical changes happening to the Lisbon home.
7. What is Dr. Hornicker's opinion of Lux after meeting with her in the hospital?
8. What happens on Trip Fontaine's vacation in Acapulco that changes his life significantly?
9. What signs did the Lisbon girls show of rejoining the community?
10. Describe the state of the Lisbons' basement on June 15th.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Virgin Suicides is written from an unusual first-person plural point of view. How does this point of view affect how the story is told? What characters are part of the "we," and why do you think the author uses this deliberate ambiguity?
Essay Topic 2
Lux Lisbon becomes the one that we as readers know the most intimately. In a well-developed essay, describe her character, how it differs from her sisters', and how she fits into her family.
Essay Topic 3
Jeffrey Eugenides opens the book with the last Lisbon girl's suicide. How does that set the tone for the novel? Is it helpful to the reader or does it take away from the story?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)