|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls attempt to save from certain death?
2. What kind of music does Mrs. Lisbon listen to?
3. What happens to Mr. Lisbon over Christmas vacation?
4. Whose idea is the "Day of Grieving"?
5. What does Trip do in his car during the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on Trip Fontaine's vacation in Acapulco that changes his life significantly?
2. Describe Mary Lisbon's favorite way to pass time during the imprisonment.
3. How did Lux's date end?
4. How did the Lisbons deal with their friends' and neighbors' offers of sympathy?
5. What was the media's first reaction to Cecilia's suicide, and why?
6. What do the boys see when they first look into the Lisbons' home on June 15th?
7. Describe the state of the Lisbons' basement on June 15th.
8. What do the boys make of Therese's ham radio conversations?
9. Why is Lux taken by ambulance to the hospital?
10. How did the three older girls end their evening at the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the media frenzy following the triple suicide, the boys, "For the first time ever...sympathized with the President because we saw how wildly our sphere of influence was misrepresented by those in no position to know what was going on." Please explain what they meant by this and discuss its justification.
Essay Topic 2
At the dance, Therese says to her date, "We just want to live. If anyone would let us." What does she mean? Are the Lisbon girls not living? Is she referring to Cecilia, or to her own future suicide? Is there someone or something refusing to let them live?
Essay Topic 3
Jeffrey Eugenides opens the book with the last Lisbon girl's suicide. How does that set the tone for the novel? Is it helpful to the reader or does it take away from the story?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)