|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls attempt to save from certain death?
2. What color corsages did the boys get for the Lisbon girls?
3. Who fetches the Lisbons' mail?
4. How do the girls reach out to the boys?
5. What annual household chore does Mr. Lisbon ignore this year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lux's date end?
2. Describe Mary Lisbon's favorite way to pass time during the imprisonment.
3. What happens on Trip Fontaine's vacation in Acapulco that changes his life significantly?
4. Describe the state of the Lisbon house in Chapter 4.
5. What do the boys see when they first look into the Lisbons' home on June 15th?
6. How do the boys spend the early part of the evening on June 15?
7. What signs did the Lisbon girls show of rejoining the community?
8. How did the Lisbons deal with their friends' and neighbors' offers of sympathy?
9. Describe three ways in which the Lisbon girls tried to contact the boys.
10. Describe Mr. Lisbon's vision of a ghost.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the title The Virgin Suicides: is it appropriate? What does it mean, exactly? Do the characters contribute to its authenticity? Are there actually virgin suicides? Can you think of a better title? If so, what is it, and why would you choose it?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon. What is their relationship like? What are their relationships with their daughters like? How does the male-female dynamic play out in these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Most people, after a tragedy, look for something or someone on whom to put the blame, even if it is the victim(s). This happens several times throughout the course of the novel. Please discuss at least three ways in which a character tries to place blame, including on whom/what, why, and how it affects other characters/the story itself.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)