|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color corsages did the boys get for the Lisbon girls?
2. Who visits Lux in the hospital?
3. What spring activity do the girls not attend as usual?
4. What kind of music does Mrs. Lisbon listen to?
5. In what condition is the Lisbons' basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of the Lisbon house in Chapter 4.
2. How do the Lisbon girls save, at least temporarily, their elm tree?
3. Describe Mary Lisbon's favorite way to pass time during the imprisonment.
4. What do the boys see when they first look into the Lisbons' home on June 15th?
5. What is Dr. Hornicker's opinion of Lux after meeting with her in the hospital?
6. How does Mr. Lisbon's behavior at school change after Cecilia's suicide?
7. What was the media's first reaction to Cecilia's suicide, and why?
8. What happens on Trip Fontaine's vacation in Acapulco that changes his life significantly?
9. Describe Mr. Lisbon's vision of a ghost.
10. What is Mrs. Lisbon's reaction to Lux's disobedience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe several ways in which the parents of the neighborhood attempt to protect or shield their children from the Lisbons' suicides. Do their efforts succeed? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Please discuss the use and effectiveness of foreshadowing throughout the novel. How does Eugenides use it to set the tone? How does it affect the reader? Is it effective? Please explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
We have talked a lot about setting in the context of this novel. Please discuss in an essay what the setting of The Virgin Suicides is, how it affects the story, how it affects the characters, and how the characters affect the setting.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)