|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the girls reach out to the boys?
2. Which girl keeps watch for the boys?
3. Where does Mary go by herself?
4. What does Mr. Lisbon often bring home for his daughters?
5. How does Therese kill herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Lisbons deal with their friends' and neighbors' offers of sympathy?
2. Why is Lux taken by ambulance to the hospital?
3. Describe the state of the Lisbon house in Chapter 4.
4. Describe the physical changes happening to the Lisbon home.
5. What was the media's first reaction to Cecilia's suicide, and why?
6. What do the boys make of Therese's ham radio conversations?
7. What happens on Trip Fontaine's vacation in Acapulco that changes his life significantly?
8. How does Mr. Lisbon's behavior at school change after Cecilia's suicide?
9. What do the boys see when they first look into the Lisbons' home on June 15th?
10. Describe Mr. Lisbon's vision of a ghost.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please discuss the use and effectiveness of foreshadowing throughout the novel. How does Eugenides use it to set the tone? How does it affect the reader? Is it effective? Please explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the title The Virgin Suicides: is it appropriate? What does it mean, exactly? Do the characters contribute to its authenticity? Are there actually virgin suicides? Can you think of a better title? If so, what is it, and why would you choose it?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Dr. Hornicker recurs throughout the novel. What is his significance? How does he contribute to the story? What is his effect, if any, on the Lisbon family?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)