|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose car do the boys take to the dance?
2. How does Therese kill herself?
3. Where do the boys find Trip, years later, to interview him?
4. Which of the girls engages in promiscuous sexual relationships?
5. What is Lux observed doing on the roof of the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Dr. Hornicker recurs throughout the novel. What is his significance? How does he contribute to the story? What is his effect, if any, on the Lisbon family?
Essay Topic 2
Please discuss the use and effectiveness of foreshadowing throughout the novel. How does Eugenides use it to set the tone? How does it affect the reader? Is it effective? Please explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Virgin Suicides is full of sexual and religious symbolism. Please choose at least three major symbols and explain their significance to the story and relation to one another, and explain how these two seemingly disparate subjects intertwine.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)