|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the boys wait for the Lisbon girls' signal the night of June 15?
2. When the boys call the Lisbon girls the second time, what do they do?
3. What does Mr. Lisbon often bring home for his daughters?
4. Who fetches the Lisbons' mail?
5. What does Mr. Lisbon talk about with the neighborhood fathers who come to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the media's first reaction to Cecilia's suicide, and why?
2. Describe the physical changes happening to the Lisbon home.
3. Describe the state of the Lisbons' basement on June 15th.
4. How did Trip Fontaine "make his move" regarding Lux?
5. Why is Lux taken by ambulance to the hospital?
6. How did Lux's date end?
7. What is Mrs. Lisbon's reaction to Lux's disobedience?
8. Describe Mr. Lisbon's vision of a ghost.
9. How does Mr. Lisbon's behavior at school change after Cecilia's suicide?
10. What happens on Trip Fontaine's vacation in Acapulco that changes his life significantly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Old Mrs. Karafilis is introduced in Chapter 4 and is only active for a short portion of the book. She, however, represents several important factors otherwise missing from the characters surrounding the Lisbon girls' tragedy. Describe Old Mrs. Karafilis, her connection to the girls, and the importance her character has on the telling of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Most people, after a tragedy, look for something or someone on whom to put the blame, even if it is the victim(s). This happens several times throughout the course of the novel. Please discuss at least three ways in which a character tries to place blame, including on whom/what, why, and how it affects other characters/the story itself.
Essay Topic 3
The character of Dr. Hornicker recurs throughout the novel. What is his significance? How does he contribute to the story? What is his effect, if any, on the Lisbon family?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)