|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Cecilia's diary from the Lisbon house?
2. What does Mr. Lisbon find Cecilia doing in preparation for the party?
3. Which of the Lisbon girls is the last to attempt suicide?
4. Where is Cecilia during the majority of the party?
5. Who finds Cecilia's body first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cecilia Lisbon's first attempt at suicide.
2. What are Cecilia's two moods toward the end of the diary?
3. What does the cemetery where Cecilia's service is held look like?
4. Name three events the boys read about in Cecilia's diary.
5. How did the emergency workers retrieve Cecilia's body?
6. Describe Cecilia's bedroom.
7. What does Cecilia look like in her coffin?
8. Describe Cecilia's ascent from the party to her bedroom.
9. How did the boys obtain Cecilia's diary?
10. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the dance, Therese says to her date, "We just want to live. If anyone would let us." What does she mean? Are the Lisbon girls not living? Is she referring to Cecilia, or to her own future suicide? Is there someone or something refusing to let them live?
Essay Topic 2
Please discuss the use and effectiveness of foreshadowing throughout the novel. How does Eugenides use it to set the tone? How does it affect the reader? Is it effective? Please explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes of The Virgin Suicides is grief. How do different characters in the novel deal with their grief? Are some ways more effective than others? Why or why not?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)