|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What garment does Cecilia always wear?
2. Which of the following drawings is not found in Cecilia's diary?
3. Which of the Lisbon girls is the last to attempt suicide?
4. Who, in the boys' collective memory, has died recently?
5. Who finds Cecilia's body first?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
2. Why were the boys happy that Joe came to the party?
3. What were Mr. Lisbon's problems with the cemeteries he visited?
4. How did the boys obtain Cecilia's diary?
5. Describe the appearance of Cecilia's diary.
6. When Peter Sissen reports back to the boys about his time inside the Lisbon house, what does Paul Baldino vow to do?
7. Describe a few of the changes the boys noticed at the Lisbon house after Cecilia came home from the hospital.
8. Name three events the boys read about in Cecilia's diary.
9. Who was Dominic Palazzano and what was his part in Cecilia's story?
10. What major revelation do the boys have upon entering the Lisbon girls' party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people, after a tragedy, look for something or someone on whom to put the blame, even if it is the victim(s). This happens several times throughout the course of the novel. Please discuss at least three ways in which a character tries to place blame, including on whom/what, why, and how it affects other characters/the story itself.
Essay Topic 2
The Virgin Suicides is full of sexual and religious symbolism. Please choose at least three major symbols and explain their significance to the story and relation to one another, and explain how these two seemingly disparate subjects intertwine.
Essay Topic 3
Jeffrey Eugenides opens the book with the last Lisbon girl's suicide. How does that set the tone for the novel? Is it helpful to the reader or does it take away from the story?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)