|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reassuring noise do Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon hear as the girls get ready for the party?
2. Which Lisbon girl is thought of as "the weird sister"?
3. From where do the boys watch the paramedics arrive at the Lisbon house?
4. How do people know that Cecilia has attempted suicide a second time?
5. What is Cecilia holding when she is taken to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cecilia Lisbon's first attempt at suicide.
2. Why does Mr. Lisbon have to take a tour of several cemeteries?
3. Why were the boys happy that Joe came to the party?
4. When Peter Sissen reports back to the boys about his time inside the Lisbon house, what does Paul Baldino vow to do?
5. How did the boys obtain Cecilia's diary?
6. What did Cecilia do on the last day of her life?
7. What happens in the Baldinos' backyard to arouse neighborhood suspicions?
8. How did it happen that Paul Baldino found Cecilia in the bathtub?
9. What do the adult boys discover about Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon after speaking to Mr. Lisbon?
10. Who was Dominic Palazzano and what was his part in Cecilia's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the media frenzy following the triple suicide, the boys, "For the first time ever...sympathized with the President because we saw how wildly our sphere of influence was misrepresented by those in no position to know what was going on." Please explain what they meant by this and discuss its justification.
Essay Topic 2
Lux Lisbon becomes the one that we as readers know the most intimately. In a well-developed essay, describe her character, how it differs from her sisters', and how she fits into her family.
Essay Topic 3
We have talked a lot about setting in the context of this novel. Please discuss in an essay what the setting of The Virgin Suicides is, how it affects the story, how it affects the characters, and how the characters affect the setting.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)