|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens just as the paramedics arrive?
2. How does Cecilia first attempt suicide?
3. What does Mr. Lisbon find Cecilia doing in preparation for the party?
4. How many times is Dominic Palazzano mentioned in Cecilia's diary?
5. What does Mr. Lisbon say was Cecilia's state of mind the day she killed herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Cecilia do on the last day of her life?
2. What major revelation do the boys have upon entering the Lisbon girls' party?
3. Describe Cecilia's ascent from the party to her bedroom.
4. Describe the appearance of Cecilia's diary.
5. What were Mr. Lisbon's problems with the cemeteries he visited?
6. How did the boys obtain Cecilia's diary?
7. How did it happen that Paul Baldino found Cecilia in the bathtub?
8. When Peter Sissen reports back to the boys about his time inside the Lisbon house, what does Paul Baldino vow to do?
9. How did the emergency workers retrieve Cecilia's body?
10. Why does Mr. Lisbon have to take a tour of several cemeteries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trip Fontaine is a central character in the Lisbon girls' story, especially Lux's. Compare and contrast his life with that of the Lisbon girls. What is his purpose in the novel? What does he represent to the girls, and to their parents, and to the town as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
We have talked a lot about setting in the context of this novel. Please discuss in an essay what the setting of The Virgin Suicides is, how it affects the story, how it affects the characters, and how the characters affect the setting.
Essay Topic 3
Jeffrey Eugenides opens the book with the last Lisbon girl's suicide. How does that set the tone for the novel? Is it helpful to the reader or does it take away from the story?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)