|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times is Dominic Palazzano mentioned in Cecilia's diary?
2. Which sister interrupts one of the boys in his search through their bathroom?
3. Why are the neighborhood children kept from the funeral?
4. Which girl has a secret stash of makeup under the bathroom sink?
5. Where does Dominic end up moving to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a few of the changes the boys noticed at the Lisbon house after Cecilia came home from the hospital.
2. What major revelation do the boys have upon entering the Lisbon girls' party?
3. Why were the boys happy that Joe came to the party?
4. Describe Cecilia's ascent from the party to her bedroom.
5. How did the emergency workers retrieve Cecilia's body?
6. How did the boys obtain Cecilia's diary?
7. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
8. Describe Cecilia's bedroom.
9. Name three events the boys read about in Cecilia's diary.
10. Describe the appearance of Cecilia's diary.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the major themes of The Virgin Suicides is grief. How do different characters in the novel deal with their grief? Are some ways more effective than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Please discuss the use and effectiveness of foreshadowing throughout the novel. How does Eugenides use it to set the tone? How does it affect the reader? Is it effective? Please explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
We have talked a lot about setting in the context of this novel. Please discuss in an essay what the setting of The Virgin Suicides is, how it affects the story, how it affects the characters, and how the characters affect the setting.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)