|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times is Dominic Palazzano mentioned in Cecilia's diary?
2. Which sister has her own bedroom?
3. Which of these is NOT something the boys get Joe to do?
4. Which of the Lisbon girls is the last to attempt suicide?
5. Which Lisbon sister used a depilatory wax?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cecilia's ascent from the party to her bedroom.
2. What do the adult boys discover about Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon after speaking to Mr. Lisbon?
3. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
4. Describe a few of the changes the boys noticed at the Lisbon house after Cecilia came home from the hospital.
5. What does Cecilia look like in her coffin?
6. What does the cemetery where Cecilia's service is held look like?
7. Describe Cecilia's bedroom.
8. How did Cecilia Lisbon die?
9. What are Cecilia's two moods toward the end of the diary?
10. What were Mr. Lisbon's problems with the cemeteries he visited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon. What is their relationship like? What are their relationships with their daughters like? How does the male-female dynamic play out in these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Communication--and the lack of it--plays a crucial role in the telling of this story. Please discuss ways in which the Lisbon girls communicate with the outside and with one another, as well as how a lack of communication affects the story.
Essay Topic 3
The Virgin Suicides is written from an unusual first-person plural point of view. How does this point of view affect how the story is told? What characters are part of the "we," and why do you think the author uses this deliberate ambiguity?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)