|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the boys congregate after changing out of their party clothes?
2. Why are no bodies being buried during Chapter 2?
3. On whom does Dominic Palazzano have a crush?
4. Where is Cecilia during the majority of the party?
5. What does Dominic do to prove his love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Cecilia do on the last day of her life?
2. Describe Cecilia Lisbon's first attempt at suicide.
3. How did the emergency workers retrieve Cecilia's body?
4. Describe Cecilia's ascent from the party to her bedroom.
5. Why were the boys happy that Joe came to the party?
6. How did it happen that Paul Baldino found Cecilia in the bathtub?
7. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
8. What were Mr. Lisbon's problems with the cemeteries he visited?
9. What does Peter Sissen find in the Lisbon girls' bathroom?
10. Describe Cecilia's bedroom.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Communication--and the lack of it--plays a crucial role in the telling of this story. Please discuss ways in which the Lisbon girls communicate with the outside and with one another, as well as how a lack of communication affects the story.
Essay Topic 2
Please discuss the use and effectiveness of foreshadowing throughout the novel. How does Eugenides use it to set the tone? How does it affect the reader? Is it effective? Please explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Most people, after a tragedy, look for something or someone on whom to put the blame, even if it is the victim(s). This happens several times throughout the course of the novel. Please discuss at least three ways in which a character tries to place blame, including on whom/what, why, and how it affects other characters/the story itself.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)