|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is a rumor that which Lisbon girl has a crush on Dominic Palazzano?
2. Which Lisbon sister likes to sunbathe in a bikini?
3. Who finds Cecilia after her first suicide attempt?
4. What does the psychiatrist recommend to Cecilia's parents?
5. Which sister has her own bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name three events the boys read about in Cecilia's diary.
2. Why were the boys happy that Joe came to the party?
3. How did the emergency workers retrieve Cecilia's body?
4. What does Peter Sissen find in the Lisbon girls' bathroom?
5. When Peter Sissen reports back to the boys about his time inside the Lisbon house, what does Paul Baldino vow to do?
6. Describe Cecilia's bedroom.
7. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
8. Describe Cecilia Lisbon's first attempt at suicide.
9. What does the cemetery where Cecilia's service is held look like?
10. Describe a few of the changes the boys noticed at the Lisbon house after Cecilia came home from the hospital.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeffrey Eugenides opens the book with the last Lisbon girl's suicide. How does that set the tone for the novel? Is it helpful to the reader or does it take away from the story?
Essay Topic 2
Most people, after a tragedy, look for something or someone on whom to put the blame, even if it is the victim(s). This happens several times throughout the course of the novel. Please discuss at least three ways in which a character tries to place blame, including on whom/what, why, and how it affects other characters/the story itself.
Essay Topic 3
How does the state of the Lisbon house connect to the rest of the story? What connections can be drawn between the conditions of the house and the condition of the people inside it? How do the people viewing it from the outside respond? The people inside?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)