Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Lisbon girls is the last to attempt suicide?
2. How long before her death does Cecilia begin writing her diary?
3. Who finds Cecilia after her first suicide attempt?
4. Whose late arrival gives life to the party?
5. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon not find Cecilia's demeanor during the party strange?
Short Essay Questions
1. What signs did the Lisbon girls show of rejoining the community?
2. How did Trip Fontaine "make his move" regarding Lux?
3. Describe the state of the Lisbons' basement on June 15th.
4. What did Mary look like when she was found dead?
5. How did the emergency workers retrieve Cecilia's body?
6. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
7. What are Cecilia's two moods toward the end of the diary?
8. What do the boys make of Therese's ham radio conversations?
9. Who was Dominic Palazzano and what was his part in Cecilia's story?
10. How does Mary spend her time at home after her stay in the hospital?
Describe several ways in which the parents of the neighborhood attempt to protect or shield their children from the Lisbons' suicides. Do their efforts succeed? If so, how? If not, why not?
Communication--and the lack of it--plays a crucial role in the telling of this story. Please discuss ways in which the Lisbon girls communicate with the outside and with one another, as well as how a lack of communication affects the story.
The Virgin Suicides is written from an unusual first-person plural point of view. How does this point of view affect how the story is told? What characters are part of the "we," and why do you think the author uses this deliberate ambiguity?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)