|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT something the boys get Joe to do?
2. How many times is Dominic Palazzano mentioned in Cecilia's diary?
3. Why are no bodies being buried during Chapter 2?
4. Which sister interrupts one of the boys in his search through their bathroom?
5. What is Mr. Lisbon's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the Baldinos' backyard to arouse neighborhood suspicions?
2. What major revelation do the boys have upon entering the Lisbon girls' party?
3. What does Peter Sissen find in the Lisbon girls' bathroom?
4. What does the cemetery where Cecilia's service is held look like?
5. Who was Dominic Palazzano and what was his part in Cecilia's story?
6. Describe a few of the changes the boys noticed at the Lisbon house after Cecilia came home from the hospital.
7. Describe Cecilia's bedroom.
8. How did it happen that Paul Baldino found Cecilia in the bathtub?
9. Why does Mr. Lisbon have to take a tour of several cemeteries?
10. When Peter Sissen reports back to the boys about his time inside the Lisbon house, what does Paul Baldino vow to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We have talked a lot about setting in the context of this novel. Please discuss in an essay what the setting of The Virgin Suicides is, how it affects the story, how it affects the characters, and how the characters affect the setting.
Essay Topic 2
Jeffrey Eugenides opens the book with the last Lisbon girl's suicide. How does that set the tone for the novel? Is it helpful to the reader or does it take away from the story?
Essay Topic 3
Trip Fontaine is a central character in the Lisbon girls' story, especially Lux's. Compare and contrast his life with that of the Lisbon girls. What is his purpose in the novel? What does he represent to the girls, and to their parents, and to the town as a whole?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)