|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where do the boys watch the paramedics arrive at the Lisbon house?
2. What happens just as the paramedics arrive?
3. Which of these is NOT something the boys get Joe to do?
4. Who finds Cecilia's body first?
5. Which Lisbon girl is thought of as "the weird sister"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Hedlie do at the Lisbon house?
2. How does Mary spend her time at home after her stay in the hospital?
3. How do the Lisbon girls save, at least temporarily, their elm tree?
4. What rebellious activities does Lux engage in?
5. What kind of night do the boys have at Alice O'Connor's party?
6. Why does Mr. Lisbon have to take a tour of several cemeteries?
7. What is Dr. Hornicker's opinion of Lux after meeting with her in the hospital?
8. How did Trip Fontaine "make his move" regarding Lux?
9. Describe Mary Lisbon's favorite way to pass time during the imprisonment.
10. How did the Lisbons deal with their friends' and neighbors' offers of sympathy?
Essay Topic 1
Lux Lisbon becomes the one that we as readers know the most intimately. In a well-developed essay, describe her character, how it differs from her sisters', and how she fits into her family.
Essay Topic 2
During the media frenzy following the triple suicide, the boys, "For the first time ever...sympathized with the President because we saw how wildly our sphere of influence was misrepresented by those in no position to know what was going on." Please explain what they meant by this and discuss its justification.
Essay Topic 3
The Virgin Suicides is full of sexual and religious symbolism. Please choose at least three major symbols and explain their significance to the story and relation to one another, and explain how these two seemingly disparate subjects intertwine.
This section contains 1,544 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)