|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose late arrival gives life to the party?
2. How do people know that Cecilia has attempted suicide a second time?
3. In what room do the girls hold their first party?
4. Which of these things is not found in Cecilia's room by Lucy Brock?
5. What does Dominic do to prove his love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cecilia Lisbon die?
2. What do the adult boys discover about Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon after speaking to Mr. Lisbon?
3. Who was Dominic Palazzano and what was his part in Cecilia's story?
4. What did Cecilia do on the last day of her life?
5. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
6. Describe a few of the changes the boys noticed at the Lisbon house after Cecilia came home from the hospital.
7. Name three events the boys read about in Cecilia's diary.
8. What were Mr. Lisbon's problems with the cemeteries he visited?
9. Why were the boys happy that Joe came to the party?
10. Describe the appearance of Cecilia's diary.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people, after a tragedy, look for something or someone on whom to put the blame, even if it is the victim(s). This happens several times throughout the course of the novel. Please discuss at least three ways in which a character tries to place blame, including on whom/what, why, and how it affects other characters/the story itself.
Essay Topic 2
We have talked a lot about setting in the context of this novel. Please discuss in an essay what the setting of The Virgin Suicides is, how it affects the story, how it affects the characters, and how the characters affect the setting.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon. What is their relationship like? What are their relationships with their daughters like? How does the male-female dynamic play out in these two characters?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)