Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Lisbon girls is the last to attempt suicide?
2. How long before her death does Cecilia begin writing her diary?
3. Who finds Cecilia after her first suicide attempt?
4. Whose late arrival gives life to the party?
5. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon not find Cecilia's demeanor during the party strange?
Short Essay Questions
1. What signs did the Lisbon girls show of rejoining the community?
2. How did Trip Fontaine "make his move" regarding Lux?
3. Describe the state of the Lisbons' basement on June 15th.
4. What did Mary look like when she was found dead?
5. How did the emergency workers retrieve Cecilia's body?
6. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
7. What are Cecilia's two moods toward the end of the diary?
8. What do the boys make of Therese's ham radio conversations?
9. Who was Dominic Palazzano and what was his part in Cecilia's story?
10. How does Mary spend her time at home after her stay in the hospital?
One of the major themes of The Virgin Suicides is grief. How do different characters in the novel deal with their grief? Are some ways more effective than others? Why or why not?
Jeffrey Eugenides opens the book with the last Lisbon girl's suicide. How does that set the tone for the novel? Is it helpful to the reader or does it take away from the story?
The character of Old Mrs. Karafilis is introduced in Chapter 4 and is only active for a short portion of the book. She, however, represents several important factors otherwise missing from the characters surrounding the Lisbon girls' tragedy. Describe Old Mrs. Karafilis, her connection to the girls, and the importance her character has on the telling of the story.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)