|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul say the concrete tree stump in his yard is?
2. Which Lisbon sister used a depilatory wax?
3. Where is Dominic from?
4. What is Mrs. Lisbon's reaction to Cecilia's asking to leave the party?
5. What is Mr. Lisbon's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cecilia's ascent from the party to her bedroom.
2. What did Cecilia do on the last day of her life?
3. When Peter Sissen reports back to the boys about his time inside the Lisbon house, what does Paul Baldino vow to do?
4. How did Cecilia Lisbon die?
5. What does the cemetery where Cecilia's service is held look like?
6. What happens in the Baldinos' backyard to arouse neighborhood suspicions?
7. Why does Mr. Lisbon have to take a tour of several cemeteries?
8. Why were the boys happy that Joe came to the party?
9. Who was Dominic Palazzano and what was his part in Cecilia's story?
10. Describe Cecilia's bedroom.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Virgin Suicides is written from an unusual first-person plural point of view. How does this point of view affect how the story is told? What characters are part of the "we," and why do you think the author uses this deliberate ambiguity?
Essay Topic 2
We have talked a lot about setting in the context of this novel. Please discuss in an essay what the setting of The Virgin Suicides is, how it affects the story, how it affects the characters, and how the characters affect the setting.
Essay Topic 3
Jeffrey Eugenides opens the book with the last Lisbon girl's suicide. How does that set the tone for the novel? Is it helpful to the reader or does it take away from the story?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)