Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Lisbon girls is the last to attempt suicide?
2. How long before her death does Cecilia begin writing her diary?
3. Who finds Cecilia after her first suicide attempt?
4. Whose late arrival gives life to the party?
5. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon not find Cecilia's demeanor during the party strange?
Short Essay Questions
1. What signs did the Lisbon girls show of rejoining the community?
2. How did Trip Fontaine "make his move" regarding Lux?
3. Describe the state of the Lisbons' basement on June 15th.
4. What did Mary look like when she was found dead?
5. How did the emergency workers retrieve Cecilia's body?
6. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
7. What are Cecilia's two moods toward the end of the diary?
8. What do the boys make of Therese's ham radio conversations?
9. Who was Dominic Palazzano and what was his part in Cecilia's story?
10. How does Mary spend her time at home after her stay in the hospital?
During the media frenzy following the triple suicide, the boys, "For the first time ever...sympathized with the President because we saw how wildly our sphere of influence was misrepresented by those in no position to know what was going on." Please explain what they meant by this and discuss its justification.
Communication--and the lack of it--plays a crucial role in the telling of this story. Please discuss ways in which the Lisbon girls communicate with the outside and with one another, as well as how a lack of communication affects the story.
Explain the title The Virgin Suicides: is it appropriate? What does it mean, exactly? Do the characters contribute to its authenticity? Are there actually virgin suicides? Can you think of a better title? If so, what is it, and why would you choose it?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)