|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Lisbon say was Cecilia's state of mind the day she killed herself?
2. What is Mrs. Lisbon's reaction to Cecilia's asking to leave the party?
3. Which of the Lisbon girls is the last to attempt suicide?
4. What accessory is Cecilia wearing at the party?
5. How does Cecilia succeed in killing herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the boys obtain Cecilia's diary?
2. Describe Cecilia's bedroom.
3. Describe Cecilia's ascent from the party to her bedroom.
4. How did it happen that Paul Baldino found Cecilia in the bathtub?
5. Describe Cecilia Lisbon's first attempt at suicide.
6. What were Mr. Lisbon's problems with the cemeteries he visited?
7. What does Cecilia look like in her coffin?
8. When Peter Sissen reports back to the boys about his time inside the Lisbon house, what does Paul Baldino vow to do?
9. How did Cecilia Lisbon die?
10. Why does Mr. Lisbon have to take a tour of several cemeteries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon. What is their relationship like? What are their relationships with their daughters like? How does the male-female dynamic play out in these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Most people, after a tragedy, look for something or someone on whom to put the blame, even if it is the victim(s). This happens several times throughout the course of the novel. Please discuss at least three ways in which a character tries to place blame, including on whom/what, why, and how it affects other characters/the story itself.
Essay Topic 3
At the dance, Therese says to her date, "We just want to live. If anyone would let us." What does she mean? Are the Lisbon girls not living? Is she referring to Cecilia, or to her own future suicide? Is there someone or something refusing to let them live?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)