|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which boy is known as the brainy one?
2. Which sister interrupts one of the boys in his search through their bathroom?
3. How long before her death does Cecilia begin writing her diary?
4. What is Cecilia holding when she is taken to the hospital?
5. Who takes Cecilia's diary from the Lisbon house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the adult boys discover about Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon after speaking to Mr. Lisbon?
2. What happens in the Baldinos' backyard to arouse neighborhood suspicions?
3. How did the boys obtain Cecilia's diary?
4. Describe Cecilia Lisbon's first attempt at suicide.
5. Why does Mr. Lisbon have to take a tour of several cemeteries?
6. How did the emergency workers retrieve Cecilia's body?
7. Describe a few of the changes the boys noticed at the Lisbon house after Cecilia came home from the hospital.
8. What does Peter Sissen find in the Lisbon girls' bathroom?
9. What major revelation do the boys have upon entering the Lisbon girls' party?
10. How did Cecilia Lisbon die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We have talked a lot about setting in the context of this novel. Please discuss in an essay what the setting of The Virgin Suicides is, how it affects the story, how it affects the characters, and how the characters affect the setting.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the title The Virgin Suicides: is it appropriate? What does it mean, exactly? Do the characters contribute to its authenticity? Are there actually virgin suicides? Can you think of a better title? If so, what is it, and why would you choose it?
Essay Topic 3
How does the state of the Lisbon house connect to the rest of the story? What connections can be drawn between the conditions of the house and the condition of the people inside it? How do the people viewing it from the outside respond? The people inside?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)