|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sister interrupts one of the boys in his search through their bathroom?
2. What is Mr. Lisbon's profession?
3. Why are no bodies being buried during Chapter 2?
4. Who leaves the party early?
5. Which of the Lisbon girls is the first to attempt suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a few of the changes the boys noticed at the Lisbon house after Cecilia came home from the hospital.
2. What does Peter Sissen find in the Lisbon girls' bathroom?
3. What does Cecilia look like in her coffin?
4. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
5. How did Cecilia Lisbon die?
6. What did Cecilia do on the last day of her life?
7. Describe the appearance of Cecilia's diary.
8. Describe Cecilia Lisbon's first attempt at suicide.
9. How did the boys obtain Cecilia's diary?
10. Why were the boys happy that Joe came to the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people, after a tragedy, look for something or someone on whom to put the blame, even if it is the victim(s). This happens several times throughout the course of the novel. Please discuss at least three ways in which a character tries to place blame, including on whom/what, why, and how it affects other characters/the story itself.
Essay Topic 2
Please discuss the use and effectiveness of foreshadowing throughout the novel. How does Eugenides use it to set the tone? How does it affect the reader? Is it effective? Please explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The character of Dr. Hornicker recurs throughout the novel. What is his significance? How does he contribute to the story? What is his effect, if any, on the Lisbon family?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)