|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Lisbon's reaction to Cecilia's asking to leave the party?
2. On whom does Dominic Palazzano have a crush?
3. What kind of music does Cecilia like to listen to?
4. Where do the boys congregate after changing out of their party clothes?
5. How do people know that Cecilia has attempted suicide a second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cecilia Lisbon die?
2. Why were the boys happy that Joe came to the party?
3. What do the adult boys discover about Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon after speaking to Mr. Lisbon?
4. What were Mr. Lisbon's problems with the cemeteries he visited?
5. Why does Mr. Lisbon have to take a tour of several cemeteries?
6. What does the cemetery where Cecilia's service is held look like?
7. What did Cecilia do on the last day of her life?
8. What major revelation do the boys have upon entering the Lisbon girls' party?
9. How does the Lisbon girls' party differ from other parties the boys have attended?
10. What does Peter Sissen find in the Lisbon girls' bathroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeffrey Eugenides opens the book with the last Lisbon girl's suicide. How does that set the tone for the novel? Is it helpful to the reader or does it take away from the story?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Dr. Hornicker recurs throughout the novel. What is his significance? How does he contribute to the story? What is his effect, if any, on the Lisbon family?
Essay Topic 3
Communication--and the lack of it--plays a crucial role in the telling of this story. Please discuss ways in which the Lisbon girls communicate with the outside and with one another, as well as how a lack of communication affects the story.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)