|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose late arrival gives life to the party?
2. What is one of Cecilia's major subjects near the end of the diary?
3. What kind of music does Cecilia like to listen to?
4. From where do the boys watch the paramedics arrive at the Lisbon house?
5. What do the paramedics do first upon arriving at the Lisbon house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Cecilia's diary.
2. What does the cemetery where Cecilia's service is held look like?
3. What were Mr. Lisbon's problems with the cemeteries he visited?
4. How did Cecilia Lisbon die?
5. Describe a few of the changes the boys noticed at the Lisbon house after Cecilia came home from the hospital.
6. How did the emergency workers retrieve Cecilia's body?
7. What do the adult boys discover about Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon after speaking to Mr. Lisbon?
8. Why does Mr. Lisbon have to take a tour of several cemeteries?
9. How did the boys obtain Cecilia's diary?
10. Who was Dominic Palazzano and what was his part in Cecilia's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeffrey Eugenides opens the book with the last Lisbon girl's suicide. How does that set the tone for the novel? Is it helpful to the reader or does it take away from the story?
Essay Topic 2
During the media frenzy following the triple suicide, the boys, "For the first time ever...sympathized with the President because we saw how wildly our sphere of influence was misrepresented by those in no position to know what was going on." Please explain what they meant by this and discuss its justification.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mr. and Mrs. Lisbon. What is their relationship like? What are their relationships with their daughters like? How does the male-female dynamic play out in these two characters?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)