|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what is Cecilia buried?
2. Which of the Lisbon girls is the last to attempt suicide?
3. What does Cecilia do for the majority of the afternoon on the day she died?
4. How do people know that Cecilia has attempted suicide a second time?
5. Which Lisbon sister used a depilatory wax?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the coroner's reaction to the bodies of the Lisbon girls?
2. What major revelation do the boys have upon entering the Lisbon girls' party?
3. Why were the boys happy that Joe came to the party?
4. Describe the physical changes happening to the Lisbon home.
5. What do the boys make of Therese's ham radio conversations?
6. Describe a few of the changes the boys noticed at the Lisbon house after Cecilia came home from the hospital.
7. What did Cecilia do on the last day of her life?
8. What does Cecilia look like in her coffin?
9. Why is Trip so flummoxed by his attraction to Lux?
10. What scene awaits the boys as they return home from Alice O'Connor's party?
Essay Topic 1
Describe several ways in which the parents of the neighborhood attempt to protect or shield their children from the Lisbons' suicides. Do their efforts succeed? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
We have talked a lot about setting in the context of this novel. Please discuss in an essay what the setting of The Virgin Suicides is, how it affects the story, how it affects the characters, and how the characters affect the setting.
Essay Topic 3
During the media frenzy following the triple suicide, the boys, "For the first time ever...sympathized with the President because we saw how wildly our sphere of influence was misrepresented by those in no position to know what was going on." Please explain what they meant by this and discuss its justification.
This section contains 1,622 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)