|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What criticism did Mencken have for a book filled with sayings and writings about death?
(a) The book had three quotations attributed to the contemptible Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(b) The book failed to mention music at all.
(c) The book failed to include the work of Theodore Dreiser.
(d) The book had nothing from the ancient Greeks.
2. What was the art discussed in "The Comedian"?
(a) Television situational comedy.
(b) Street musicianship.
(d) Stage acting.
3. What city was featured in "The Libido for the Ugly"?
(a) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
(b) Washington, D. C.
(c) Dayton, Ohio.
(d) Baltimore, Maryland.
4. What might Mencken say was Grover Cleveland's defining trait?
(b) Political acumen.
(d) A lust for life.
5. Why did Mencken call democracy a "self-limiting disease"?
(a) Democracy achieves equality, and once equality is achieved, democracy has nothing to accomplish.
(b) Democracy does damage, but the damage it can do is limited.
(c) Democracy is able to place limits on the power of politicians.
(d) Members of the Democratic Party inflict damage on themselves through numerous scandals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the source of Oliver Wendell Holmes' allure?
2. Which of the following describes an Anglo-Saxon soldier, according to Mencken?
3. What problem did Mencken have with Justice Holmes' final court case?
4. How was Mencken able to get a taxi driver to drive him to a speakeasy in Pennsylvania?
5. What event did Mencken cover in "The Wallace Paranoia"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are artists "anti-patriotic," according to Mencken in "The Artist"?
2. What opinion did Mencken have about the English translation of the Bible?
3. According to "The Wallace Paranoia," what did candidate Henry Wallace do during the convention of the Progressive Party?
4. In "The Noble Experiment," what story did Mencken relate about acquiring alcohol at the Republican National Convention?
5. What examples did Mencken provide to support his judgment of Anglo-Saxons?
6. What was Mencken's opinion of stage acting?
7. According to "The Author at Work," why do writers write?
8. How did Mencken distinguish between plutocracy and aristocracy in "A Glance Ahead"?
9. For what reasons did Mencken admire Grover Cleveland?
10. What was Mencken's opinion of chiropractic?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)