|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Mencken able to get a taxi driver to drive him to a speakeasy in Pennsylvania?
(a) He gave the driver a ten dollar bill.
(b) He threatened the driver with jail time.
(c) He showed the driver the musical score from a Bach concert.
(d) He agreed to write an article about the driver.
2. Complete the following aphorism found in "Sententiae": "Democracy is..."
(a) "...the application of love to money. Everybody's love."
(b) "...the Declaration of Independence after a trip to the dentist for a full root canal."
(c) "...the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
(d) "...the weapon waved by the fairer sex."
3. Who was Mencken with at a Bach concert in Pennsylvania when he decided to get some liquor?
(a) Gene the magistrate.
(b) Alfred Knopf.
(c) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(d) Woodrow Wilson.
4. In "The Hills of Zion," why did a woman warn against the reading of books?
(a) Reading would require too much effort.
(b) She asked, What knowledge could exist outside of the Bible?
(c) She believed that books are full of snakes and corn cobs.
(d) Only a congregation's preacher should take on the responsibility of reading.
5. What aspect of old-time education did Mencken miss most in modern education?
(a) The charm of the one-room schoolhouse.
(b) The insistence on only male teachers.
(c) Corporal punishment.
(d) The tolling of the dinner triangle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mencken describe the music of Bach?
2. How did Mencken describe the music of Chopin?
3. Why might the Anglo-Saxon race have entered into the Spanish-American war, according to Mencken?
4. What did Mencken conclude in his examination of rulings in "Mr. Justice Holmes"?
5. What problem did Mencken have with Justice Holmes' final court case?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)