|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Mencken describe the music of Puccini?
(a) "Silver macaroni, exquisitely tangled."
(b) "Two intertwined dogs yapping at each other."
(c) "Two embalmers at work upon a minor poet."
(d) "A dozen wind chimes in a hurricane."
2. Why did Mencken curse those who translated the Bible into English?
(a) They misinterpreted the principles of Jesus Christ.
(b) They made many factual errors.
(c) They made a host of grammatical errors.
(d) They made the prose overly flowery and beautiful.
3. What did Mencken call for in "Mencken's Last Stand"?
(a) For president Harry S. Truman to resign.
(b) An end to segregation.
(c) A more intelligent approach to chiropractic.
(d) For the world to leave him alone.
4. How was plutocracy created, according to Mencken?
(a) From a desperate and starving peasant class.
(b) From the corrupting influence of money.
(c) Through dictatorial grabs for power.
(d) From the ruins of proper aristocracy.
5. What was Mencken's phrase for religious fundamentalism?
(a) "Ye Olde Honest Truth."
(b) "The Shepherd's Porridge."
(c) "The Fluff of the Flock."
(d) "That Old-Time Religion."
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the function of the Bill of Rights, per "Mr. Justice Holmes"?
2. Which is the best style of architecture, according to Mencken?
3. According to "Exeunt Omnes," Mencken was disappointed with the amount of books dedicated to which subject?
4. Who was FDR's chief opponent in the Democratic Convention of 1932?
5. What was the source of Oliver Wendell Holmes' allure?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "The Wallace Paranoia," what did candidate Henry Wallace do during the convention of the Progressive Party?
2. How did Mencken distinguish between plutocracy and aristocracy in "A Glance Ahead"?
3. What was the content of "Sententiae"?
4. What did Mencken conclude about his research into the court cases of Oliver Wendell Holmes?
5. What stance did Mencken take in "Mencken's Last Stand"?
6. Why are artists "anti-patriotic," according to Mencken in "The Artist"?
7. What did Mencken feel were the true and most damaging consequences of the Civil War, according to "The Calamity of Appomattox"?
8. How was FDR able to win the Democratic National Convention of 1932?
9. What type of people attended the Progressive Party convention of 1948?
10. What aspect of death interested Mencken the most?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)