|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What might Mencken say was Grover Cleveland's defining trait?
(b) Political acumen.
(d) A lust for life.
2. Who did Mencken NOT count among the "crackpots" present in "The Wallace Paranoia"?
(a) Bible-belt evangelists.
(d) Career political operatives.
3. What was the general atmosphere of the Democratic National Convention of 1932, as reported by Mencken?
(a) Like Mafia men meeting at a restaurant, as the politicians are all corrupt.
(b) A complete circus.
(c) Quiet, like a gentlemen's club.
(d) Stuffy and mannered.
4. What was the result of Mencken's attempt to trace the lineage of the Anglo-Saxon race?
(a) Mencken claimed, sarcastically, that he himself represents the apex of the race.
(b) He pointed out that the race was never the same after a battle in 1066.
(c) He traced it to a tribe in Western Africa.
(d) It was too complicated, and he gave up.
5. In "Valentino," what did the press find in a men's bathroom that caused them to mock Valentino and his "Latin Lover" image?
(a) A bar of lavender-scented soap-on-a-rope.
(b) Pink talcum-powder.
(c) Underwear with a hole in it.
(d) Women's perfume.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of old-time education did Mencken miss most in modern education?
2. What did Mencken call for in "Mencken's Last Stand"?
3. What was the art discussed in "The Comedian"?
4. What was Mencken's phrase for religious fundamentalism?
5. Which of the following did NOT happen during "The Hills of Zion"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mencken's opinion of stage acting?
2. Describe the religious service Mencken witnessed in "The Hills of Zion."
3. What examples did Mencken provide to support his judgment of Anglo-Saxons?
4. What opinions did Mencken render in "Masters of Tone"?
5. According to "The Author at Work," why do writers write?
6. According to Mencken in "The Calamity of Appomattox," what would have happened if the Civil War had never happened?
7. What did Mencken conclude about his research into the court cases of Oliver Wendell Holmes?
8. What opinion did Mencken have about the English translation of the Bible?
9. How did Mencken--with tongue firmly in cheek--try to justify a man's murdering of his wife in "A Good Man Gone Wrong"?
10. How did Mencken distinguish between plutocracy and aristocracy in "A Glance Ahead"?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)