|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did NOT happen during "The Hills of Zion"?
(a) A woman warned against reading books.
(b) A preacher appeared to strangle a woman to death before he miraculously "cures" her.
(c) The preacher began to speak in tongues.
(d) A young woman went into convulsions.
2. What did Mencken attribute to the fall of the "good man" in "A Good Man Gone Wrong"?
(a) A nagging housewife.
(b) A Presbyterian upbringing.
(c) An "unspeakable force in the universe."
(d) A runaway automobile.
3. Which of the following is a trait of the Anglo-Saxon race, per "The Anglo-Saxon"?
(a) Cultural superiority.
(c) Weak will.
4. What event did Mencken cover in "The Wallace Paranoia"?
(a) The Progressive Party convention.
(b) The marriage of a governor.
(c) A socialite's ball.
(d) The New York World's Fair.
5. How did Mencken describe the music of Bach?
(a) "The Deaf leading the Equally-Deaf."
(b) "Heaven upon a creamy macaroon."
(c) "Silver macaroni, exquisitely tangled."
(d) "Genesis I, I"
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the source of Oliver Wendell Holmes' allure?
2. What was the nature of the analogy Mencken uses involving Oliver Wendell Holmes, a hammer, and a feather?
3. Which of the following was true in regard to statements made by Mencken about chiropractic?
4. Complete the following aphorism found in "Sententiae": "Adultery is..."
5. How was Mencken able to get a taxi driver to drive him to a speakeasy in Pennsylvania?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of people attended the Progressive Party convention of 1948?
2. In "Exeunt Omnes," Mencken described his second book on death, which has collected sayings and thoughts on death. What did Mencken maintain was the main idea of the book?
3. What opinions did Mencken render in "Masters of Tone"?
4. What did Mencken feel were the true and most damaging consequences of the Civil War, according to "The Calamity of Appomattox"?
5. What was the content of "Sententiae"?
6. Why did Mencken miss corporal punishment in schools in "Travail"?
7. How did Mencken distinguish between plutocracy and aristocracy in "A Glance Ahead"?
8. Did Mencken's aesthetics conform to the ideals of the "new architecture"? Explain.
9. What opinion did Mencken have about the English translation of the Bible?
10. According to Mencken in "The Calamity of Appomattox," what would have happened if the Civil War had never happened?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)