|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mencken conclude in his examination of rulings in "Mr. Justice Holmes"?
(a) Justice Holmes ruled too often for rabble-rousers, and not often enough for the aristocracy.
(b) Justice Holmes ruled too often in favor of the powers that be, rather than the people.
(c) Mencken slyly suggests Holmes should tuck chickens under his arms because of his chicken-like cowardice.
(d) Justice Holmes rendered fantastically bizarre rulings, and should be impeached.
2. What would best describe Mencken's attitude toward Oliver Wendell Holmes?
(a) He was a fantastic advocate of progressive causes.
(b) His rulings were thoroughly corrupt.
(c) He was a quack chiropractor.
(d) He was a Liberal hero in name only.
3. Who started chiropractic, according to Mencken?
(a) Dr. William Bayle Howard.
(b) William Jennings Bryan.
(c) Alistair Cooke.
(d) Andrew Still.
4. What city was featured in "The Libido for the Ugly"?
(a) Baltimore, Maryland.
(b) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
(c) Washington, D. C.
(d) Dayton, Ohio.
5. Who were the two attorneys in the Scopes monkey trial?
(a) William Jennings Bryan and Andrew Still.
(b) Theodore Dreiser and John Pershing.
(c) William Jennings Bryan and Clarence Darrow.
(d) Clarence Darrow and Henry Cabot Lodge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the subject of the Scopes monkey trial?
2. According to Mencken, how might Calvin Coolidge had handled the Great Depression?
3. What was unique to the American psyche according to Mencken in "Libido for the Ugly"?
4. Which was NOT a reason Mencken used in his assessment that houses are ugly in "The Libido for the Ugly"?
5. What might Mencken say was Grover Cleveland's defining trait?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Noble Experiment," what story did Mencken relate about acquiring alcohol at the Republican National Convention?
2. How was FDR able to win the Democratic National Convention of 1932?
3. Contemporaries wrote that Calvin Coolidge bore several similarities to Abraham Lincoln. Why did Mencken disagree with this claim?
4. For what reasons did Mencken admire Grover Cleveland?
5. How did Mencken distinguish between plutocracy and aristocracy in "A Glance Ahead"?
6. What caused Mencken to question the American psyche in "The Libido for the Ugly"?
7. What did Mencken conclude about his research into the court cases of Oliver Wendell Holmes?
8. What type of people attended the Progressive Party convention of 1948?
9. What opinion did Mencken have about the English translation of the Bible?
10. What opinions did Mencken render in "Masters of Tone"?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)