|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was FDR's chief opponent in the Democratic Convention of 1932?
(a) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(b) Woodrow Wilson.
(c) Al Smith.
(d) William Randolph Hearst.
2. What might Mencken say about a writer's sense of beauty?
(a) The writer has a profound sense of beauty.
(b) The writer has an average sense of beauty.
(c) The writer has a very poor sense of beauty.
(d) Beauty is irrelevant to the writer, who must deal with cold, hard facts.
3. What was the subject of Mencken's final published article?
(a) A horse robbery.
(b) The murder of an adulterous housewife.
(c) A court case tinged with racism.
(d) The "newest quackery" of household appliances.
4. What was Mencken's phrase for religious fundamentalism?
(a) "That Old-Time Religion."
(b) "Ye Olde Honest Truth."
(c) "The Shepherd's Porridge."
(d) "The Fluff of the Flock."
5. Who did Mencken NOT count among the "crackpots" present in "The Wallace Paranoia"?
(a) Bible-belt evangelists.
(b) Career political operatives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a trait of the Anglo-Saxon race, per "The Anglo-Saxon"?
2. Which was NOT a reason Mencken used in his assessment that houses are ugly in "The Libido for the Ugly"?
3. How did Mencken describe the music of Puccini?
4. What was Calvin Coolidge's chief trait, according to Mencken?
5. What is wrong, in Mencken's opinion, with most artists' depictions of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Mencken's aesthetics conform to the ideals of the "new architecture"? Explain.
2. How did Mencken--with tongue firmly in cheek--try to justify a man's murdering of his wife in "A Good Man Gone Wrong"?
3. What examples did Mencken provide to support his judgment of Anglo-Saxons?
4. For what reasons did Mencken admire Grover Cleveland?
5. Why did Mencken take issue with Oliver Wendell Holmes' final court case?
6. What was Mencken's opinion of chiropractic?
7. How was FDR able to win the Democratic National Convention of 1932?
8. What aspect of death interested Mencken the most?
9. In "Exeunt Omnes," Mencken described his second book on death, which has collected sayings and thoughts on death. What did Mencken maintain was the main idea of the book?
10. What type of people attended the Progressive Party convention of 1948?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)