|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would best describe how Mencken felt about stage acting?
(a) Like portrait painting, stage acting provides a window into the truth.
(b) It gladdens the heart with falsity.
(c) It is completely unworthy of the price of admission.
(d) It stabs at the soul with genuine feeling.
2. What was the subject of "The Noble Experiment"?
(a) Drinking during Prohibition.
(b) Voting during World War I.
(c) The Cuban revolution.
(d) A scientific breakthrough Mencken reported on.
3. In "Travail," how did the boys going to school in the morning seem to Mencken?
(a) Upbeat and joyous.
(b) Like they might someday conquer the world.
(c) Energetic and hopeful.
(d) Tired and sad.
4. Why might the Anglo-Saxon race have entered into the Spanish-American war, according to Mencken?
(a) They knew they could seize the Spanish crown.
(b) They were courageous and foolhardy.
(c) The war protected vital interests in the Caribbean.
(d) It was a war they were sure to win.
5. In "Valentino," what did the press find in a men's bathroom that caused them to mock Valentino and his "Latin Lover" image?
(a) Pink talcum-powder.
(b) Underwear with a hole in it.
(c) A bar of lavender-scented soap-on-a-rope.
(d) Women's perfume.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a trait of the Anglo-Saxon race, per "The Anglo-Saxon"?
2. What aspect of old-time education did Mencken miss most in modern education?
3. What was the source of Oliver Wendell Holmes' allure?
4. What was the art discussed in "The Comedian"?
5. Who was FDR's chief opponent in the Democratic Convention of 1932?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opinions did Mencken render in "Masters of Tone"?
2. What opinion did Mencken have about the English translation of the Bible?
3. What stance did Mencken take in "Mencken's Last Stand"?
4. What examples did Mencken provide to support his judgment of Anglo-Saxons?
5. According to "The Wallace Paranoia," what did candidate Henry Wallace do during the convention of the Progressive Party?
6. Why did Mencken miss corporal punishment in schools in "Travail"?
7. What did Mencken feel were the true and most damaging consequences of the Civil War, according to "The Calamity of Appomattox"?
8. What was the content of "Sententiae"?
9. What type of people attended the Progressive Party convention of 1948?
10. According to Mencken in "The Calamity of Appomattox," what would have happened if the Civil War had never happened?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)