|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mencken curse those who translated the Bible into English?
(a) They made a host of grammatical errors.
(b) They made many factual errors.
(c) They made the prose overly flowery and beautiful.
(d) They misinterpreted the principles of Jesus Christ.
2. In "The Wallace Paranoia," who was Mencken referring to with the phrase "raisins in the bread."
(a) Sweet, young ladies amid a bunch of old men.
(b) Honorable, career politicians.
(c) Extremists and the mentally unstable.
(d) Bible-belt evangelists.
3. Why did Valentino invite Mencken to dinner?
(a) To beg him to ask a young woman out on a date for him.
(b) To advise him on whether or not to take an upcoming film role.
(c) To challenge him to a duel for libel.
(d) To ask for advice about a fight with a New York newspaper.
4. What was the flaw of FDR's opponent in the Democratic National Convention of 1932?
(a) He was a complete political rookie.
(b) He was blinded by his hatred for FDR.
(c) He was too old, and he looked like a mummy next to FDR.
(d) He was ruined by a scandal involving adultery.
5. What criticism did Mencken have for a book filled with sayings and writings about death?
(a) The book had nothing from the ancient Greeks.
(b) The book failed to mention music at all.
(c) The book had three quotations attributed to the contemptible Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(d) The book failed to include the work of Theodore Dreiser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was unique to the American psyche according to Mencken in "Libido for the Ugly"?
2. What aspect of old-time education did Mencken miss most in modern education?
3. Why, according to Mencken, do virtuous people end up sinning the worst?
4. What was Mencken's phrase for religious fundamentalism?
5. What was Calvin Coolidge's chief trait, according to Mencken?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)