|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 10-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What organization did Mencken's father force him to join at age fourteen?
(a) The Junior Achievement League.
(c) The Boy Scouts of America.
(d) The Baptist Church.
2. Who is the editor of this volume?
(a) William Jennings Bryan.
(b) H. L. Mencken.
(c) Alfred Knopf.
(d) Alistair Cooke.
3. Who was the president of Cuba when Mencken visited the country in "Gore in the Caribees"?
(b) Jose Miguel.
4. Which is NOT a reason Mencken gives for admiring Theodore Dreiser?
(a) Dreiser's unique place in the world of literature.
(b) Dreiser's insistence on describing every detail of a scene.
(c) Dreiser's unchanging subject matter and style.
(d) The ability for Dreiser to touch a reader on an emotional level.
5. Which is NOT one of the reasons winters were difficult in 1880s Baltimore?
(a) Snow caused many roofs to cave in.
(b) Cellars could flood.
(c) The cold was severe, and furnaces did not help much.
(d) Water pipes could burst.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Theodore Dreiser like Joseph Conrad, according to Mencken?
2. What does Mencken state about the literary influence(s) of Theodore Dreiser?
3. What did Mencken satirize in "Quid Est Veritas"?
4. What was the subject of the first Mencken-written article that was ever published?
5. Which book was Mencken's touchstone into literature?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)