|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 10-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was "The Art Eternal" according to Mencken?
(b) Portrait painting.
2. In "Pater Patriae," which was NOT one of the reasons Mencken admired George Washington?
(a) He put his trust and authority in intellectuals and lawyers.
(b) He was tough-living, and whiskey-drinking.
(c) He could cuss up a storm.
(d) He was not convinced of the wisdom of common people.
3. According to "The Skeptic," what do women always bear?
(a) The burden of caring for families.
(b) A strong sense of household finances.
(c) A healthy mistrust of their husbands.
(d) The strength of their religious convictions.
4. Why was Theodore Dreiser compared to Franz Schubert by Mencken?
(a) Dreiser and Schubert both created work that is "lighter than air."
(b) Dreiser and Schubert didn't know the theory of their arts, but nonetheless they produce valuable work.
(c) Dreiser and Schubert used whimsy, irony, and a sense of silliness.
(d) Dreiser and Schubert exhibited an uncommon and sometimes perverse imagination.
5. Which was described as Mencken's earliest memory?
(a) Watching a carnival of the Order of Orioles.
(b) Attending a speech of William Jennings Bryan.
(c) Swatting flies with his brother in the kitchen.
(d) Getting bitten by a snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Gore in the Caribees," how was Jose Miguel captured?
2. In which city did Mencken grow up?
3. Why do the majority of people lie, according to Mencken?
4. According to "The Incomparable Buzz-Saw," what is a woman's only power?
5. Why shouldn't men trust other men?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)