|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 10-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Baltimore of the Eighties," why does Mencken's mother lament about a trip to the market?
(a) A pickpocket had stolen her purse.
(b) The price of crabs had doubled.
(c) Mencken had stolen some penny candy.
(d) The vendors had started charging for roe.
2. Which is NOT one of the reasons winters were difficult in 1880s Baltimore?
(a) The cold was severe, and furnaces did not help much.
(b) Water pipes could burst.
(c) Cellars could flood.
(d) Snow caused many roofs to cave in.
3. What profession should the truth-teller NOT aspire to, according to Mencken?
(a) A jewelry maker.
(b) A bartender.
(c) The President of the United States.
(d) Owner of a large company.
4. According to "Text for Newspaper Days," what is modern journalism missing?
(a) Proper attention to art and art history.
(b) Proper fact checking.
(c) Multiple points of view.
(d) A carefree nature.
5. Which boat captain helped Mencken while in Cuba?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Gore in the Caribees," what was Mencken's perspective on the revolution in Cuba?
2. What does Mencken call a man who resists the charms of women?
3. According to Mencken, what was Christianity's history with lying?
4. What is democracy's "aim," according to Mencken?
5. What was the name of H. L. Mencken's brother?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)