|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 10-14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Gene the magistrate handle an overzealous Methodist clergyman?
(a) Gene had policemen follow the clergyman wherever he went.
(b) Gene created trumped-up charges to render him no longer a problem.
(c) Gene ruled that religion was essential to the functioning of a democracy.
(d) Gene ruled that the clergyman was within his rights to practice in the Jewish ghetto.
2. Which is NOT one of the reasons winters were difficult in 1880s Baltimore?
(a) Water pipes could burst.
(b) The cold was severe, and furnaces did not help much.
(c) Snow caused many roofs to cave in.
(d) Cellars could flood.
3. What profession should the truth-teller NOT aspire to, according to Mencken?
(a) A jewelry maker.
(b) A bartender.
(c) The President of the United States.
(d) Owner of a large company.
4. What organization did Mencken's father force him to join at age fourteen?
(a) The Boy Scouts of America.
(b) The Junior Achievement League.
(d) The Baptist Church.
5. According to "The Incomparable Buzz-Saw," what is a woman's only power?
(a) The power of a house's pursestrings.
(b) The power over her children.
(c) The power to ruin a man's life with divorce.
(d) The power to torture a man through love.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Pater Patriae," which was NOT one of the reasons Mencken admired George Washington?
2. What was the subject of the first Mencken-written article that was ever published?
3. What was Mencken's nickname for Chesapeake Bay?
4. Which was NOT a source of terrible smell in the Baltimore of the 1880s, according to Mencken?
5. What does Mencken call a man who resists the charms of women?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)