|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 40-44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who started chiropractic, according to Mencken?
(a) Andrew Still.
(b) Alistair Cooke.
(c) Dr. William Bayle Howard.
(d) William Jennings Bryan.
2. In "The Baltimore of the Eighties," why does Mencken's mother lament about a trip to the market?
(a) The vendors had started charging for roe.
(b) The price of crabs had doubled.
(c) A pickpocket had stolen her purse.
(d) Mencken had stolen some penny candy.
3. What was the subject of the first Mencken-written article that was ever published?
(a) The gold standard.
(b) A horse robbery.
(c) A high-society party.
(d) Political discontent in Europe.
4. What do saints have in common with scientists?
(a) Both unselfishly serve mankind.
(b) Both simply seek the truth.
(c) Both corrupt the truth to suit their best interests.
(d) Both manipulate public opinion to advance their own position.
5. Why did Mencken curse those who translated the Bible into English?
(a) They made the prose overly flowery and beautiful.
(b) They made many factual errors.
(c) They made a host of grammatical errors.
(d) They misinterpreted the principles of Jesus Christ.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Pater Patriae," which was NOT one of the reasons Mencken admired George Washington?
2. What might Mencken say about a writer's sense of beauty?
3. Why might the Anglo-Saxon race have entered into the Spanish-American war, according to Mencken?
4. What must modern religions do to "escape absurdity"?
5. What was the function of the Bill of Rights, per "Mr. Justice Holmes"?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)