|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 40-44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What moral choice faced Mencken and a cop on New Year's Day, in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
(a) A prostitute bribed the policeman.
(b) A man clearly beat his wife, but could not be technically arrested.
(c) They learned about a corrupt policeman, and had to decide whether to turn the man in.
(d) A dead man was found with a large sum of money in his pocket.
2. What was Mencken's phrase for religious fundamentalism?
(a) "The Fluff of the Flock."
(b) "Ye Olde Honest Truth."
(c) "That Old-Time Religion."
(d) "The Shepherd's Porridge."
3. Which of the following was true in regard to statements made by Mencken about chiropractic?
(a) There was no, and would never be, any beneficial effect of chiropractic.
(b) Chiropractic sprang from a perversion of brain science.
(c) Chiropractors were made up of intellectual heavyweights and aristocrats.
(d) The deaths of chiropractic patients was welcome, as it would mean less stupid people in the world.
4. What was Alistair Cooke's relationship to H. L. Mencken?
(a) A journalist and friend.
(b) A poet whom Mencken greatly admires.
(c) A childhood acquaintance.
(d) A political enemy.
5. What was the name of H. L. Mencken's brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem did Mencken have with Justice Holmes' final court case?
2. According to the editor, why were the 1930s Mencken's "downfall"?
3. How was Mencken able to get a taxi driver to drive him to a speakeasy in Pennsylvania?
4. What was the art discussed in "The Comedian"?
5. What did Mencken, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, feel about the tradition of giving medals in the military?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)