|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 40-44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was "lamentable" about the North beating the South in the Civil War, according to Mencken?
(a) Technological innovation was delayed by 25 years.
(b) The quality of tobacco was never the same.
(c) The slaves were freed.
(d) The South's aristocracy was destroyed.
2. Why was early Christianity superior to modern Christianity, per "Holy Writ"?
(a) Early Christianity had a less strict interpretation of Biblical stories.
(b) Services took place in cold places, to ensure better concentration.
(c) It featured a lot less sermonizing.
(d) It featured more moral instructions.
3. What dominated Puritanism, according to Mencken in "The National Letters"?
(a) Free-thinking men of purpose.
(b) The simple necessities of food, clothing, and shelter.
(c) Religious tomfoolery.
(d) Fear, and the suspicion of art.
4. What was Mencken's current opinion of the American South, as revealed in "The Calamity of Appomattox"?
(a) It was a culturally inferior place.
(b) It was a lightning-rod of controversy.
(c) It was a culturally superior place.
(d) It was an economic powerhouse.
5. Which man did Mencken dub the "Star-Spangled Man"?
(a) Woodrow Wilson.
(b) George Washington.
(c) William Jennings Bryan.
(d) John Pershing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of old-time education did Mencken miss most in modern education?
2. According to Mencken, what was the Union fighting for in the Civil War?
3. What was Mencken's opinion of Gothic architecture?
4. In "Star-Spangled Man," Mencken argued that who, besides soldiers, should get medals?
5. What quotation did Mencken borrow from Theodore Dreiser in "Cavia Cobaya"?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)