|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 40-44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is democracy's "aim," according to Mencken?
(a) To protect the children of a society.
(b) To indoctrinate everyone in religious "poppycock."
(c) To ensure great wealth for all.
(d) To pull everyone down to the same level.
2. Who was Mencken with at a Bach concert in Pennsylvania when he decided to get some liquor?
(a) Alfred Knopf.
(b) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(c) Gene the magistrate.
(d) Woodrow Wilson.
3. According to Mencken, what was the Union fighting for in the Civil War?
(d) Against the notion of self-determinism.
4. According to Mencken, what kind of books did Theodore Dreiser produce?
(a) Breezy, summer-day reading.
(b) Weighty, substantial tomes that one must concentrate on for a long time.
(c) Wheezing, moralizing diatribes.
(d) Books more important as museum pieces than texts that should be read.
5. In "Pater Patriae," which was NOT one of the reasons Mencken admired George Washington?
(a) He put his trust and authority in intellectuals and lawyers.
(b) He was tough-living, and whiskey-drinking.
(c) He was not convinced of the wisdom of common people.
(d) He could cuss up a storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do common folk read the Bible, according to Mencken in "Holy Writ"?
2. What was Roosevelt's strategy at the Democratic National Convention of 1932?
3. What might Mencken say about a writer's sense of beauty?
4. Which of the following is NOT something that exists as a result of the Anglo-Saxon race, according to Mencken?
5. What was Mencken's attitude toward Grover Cleveland?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)