|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 35-39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "The Incomparable Buzz-Saw," what is a woman's only power?
(a) The power over her children.
(b) The power to torture a man through love.
(c) The power to ruin a man's life with divorce.
(d) The power of a house's pursestrings.
2. What human flaw does democracy depend upon, according to Mencken?
3. What did Mencken, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, feel about the tradition of giving medals in the military?
(a) Medals should be given only at the conclusion of career service.
(b) Medals should be reserved just for generals, as the "idea men" of the military.
(c) Medals should be given on a daily basis, because every day soldiers sacrifice.
(d) Medals should be given to common soldiers, and not just generals.
4. What aspect of man-woman relationships are the movies incorrect about, according to Mencken?
(a) There is no such thing as romantic love.
(b) Women always begin a romance; men are too cowardly.
(c) Men don't like to date women younger than themselves.
(d) Handsome men are not sought after by women.
5. What would best describe how Mencken felt about stage acting?
(a) Like portrait painting, stage acting provides a window into the truth.
(b) It gladdens the heart with falsity.
(c) It is completely unworthy of the price of admission.
(d) It stabs at the soul with genuine feeling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do "handsome men" deserve suspicion?
2. What profession should the truth-teller NOT aspire to, according to Mencken?
3. In "The Good Man," what general statement did Mencken make about mankind?
4. What is a man's usual response to beauty?
5. What would best describe Mencken's attitude toward Oliver Wendell Holmes?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)