|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 35-39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What one thing did Mencken feel was useful from the contributions of Sigmund Freud?
(a) The notion that "mother issues" were deeply-seated.
(b) The notion that people could be easily hypnotized.
(c) The notion that dreams could reveal aspects of our everyday lives.
(d) The notion that lying stemmed from an unconscious place.
2. What did Mencken, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, feel about the tradition of giving medals in the military?
(a) Medals should be given to common soldiers, and not just generals.
(b) Medals should be given on a daily basis, because every day soldiers sacrifice.
(c) Medals should be given only at the conclusion of career service.
(d) Medals should be reserved just for generals, as the "idea men" of the military.
3. What would best describe Mencken's attitude toward Oliver Wendell Holmes?
(a) He was a Liberal hero in name only.
(b) He was a fantastic advocate of progressive causes.
(c) He was a quack chiropractor.
(d) His rulings were thoroughly corrupt.
4. What did Mencken conclude in his examination of rulings in "Mr. Justice Holmes"?
(a) Justice Holmes rendered fantastically bizarre rulings, and should be impeached.
(b) Justice Holmes ruled too often for rabble-rousers, and not often enough for the aristocracy.
(c) Justice Holmes ruled too often in favor of the powers that be, rather than the people.
(d) Mencken slyly suggests Holmes should tuck chickens under his arms because of his chicken-like cowardice.
5. What is democracy's "aim," according to Mencken?
(a) To indoctrinate everyone in religious "poppycock."
(b) To pull everyone down to the same level.
(c) To protect the children of a society.
(d) To ensure great wealth for all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the function of the Bill of Rights, per "Mr. Justice Holmes"?
2. What was the nature of the Prince of Wales story Mencken tells in "The Art Eternal"?
3. What city was featured in "The Libido for the Ugly"?
4. Which was NOT a challenge to the schoolboy Mencken mentioned in "Travail"?
5. Which war was General John Pershing most famously involved in?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)