|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 35-39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would best describe how Mencken felt about stage acting?
(a) Like portrait painting, stage acting provides a window into the truth.
(b) It stabs at the soul with genuine feeling.
(c) It gladdens the heart with falsity.
(d) It is completely unworthy of the price of admission.
2. Why shouldn't men trust other men?
(a) Men lie constantly.
(b) Men can be subject to temptation, and thus betrayal.
(c) Men can become violent at any moment.
(d) Men are only interested in accumulating wealth.
3. What city was featured in "The Libido for the Ugly"?
(a) Baltimore, Maryland.
(b) Washington, D. C.
(c) Dayton, Ohio.
(d) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
4. Why do "handsome men" deserve suspicion?
(a) They are always self-serving and vain.
(b) They are terrible conversationalists.
(c) The human body is inherently ugly.
(d) They are "ugly" inside.
5. According to "The Incomparable Buzz-Saw," what is a woman's only power?
(a) The power to ruin a man's life with divorce.
(b) The power of a house's pursestrings.
(c) The power over her children.
(d) The power to torture a man through love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which man did Mencken dub the "Star-Spangled Man"?
2. What do saints have in common with scientists?
3. What does Mencken call a man who resists the charms of women?
4. What was the subject of "A Good Man Gone Wrong"?
5. What problem did Mencken have with Justice Holmes' final court case?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)