|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Gunther and the narrator meet in the morning?
2. Where does Margaret explain her grandmother's wedding dress is?
3. Who dies on the day of the narrator's story in Murderers?
4. What color is Arnold's car?
5. In Murderers, what music could the boys hear from their vantage point?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story Rules of the Game, who is Lau Fo?
2. In the short story Train, who are the two little girls on the train, how old are they, and where are they going?
3. How do the boys in Murderers get caught on their misadventure, and what happens to them?
4. Where is the priest going at the end of Departures, and where has he been? How is he traveling?
5. Who is the main character of Departures? How old is he when the story opens? Where is he going?
6. In Moonwalk, who is Margaret Many Wounds and what is happening to her as the story opens? Who is taking care of her?
7. Before she dies, what story does Margaret tell Evie and Lydia that change their lives?
8. In the story Helping, who are Elliot and Grace and what do they do for a living? How are their jobs similar and how are they different?
9. What inspiration does Gunther in Men Under Water get about his next screenplay after visiting Acid Rain? Who does he find waiting for him at his home when he and the narrator pull up to his house?
10. Who does Strayhorn immediately find to help him figure out what to do with the dead baby and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fat Girl chronicles the story of a young woman with an eating disorder. How does Louise suffer at the hands of those who wish to help her? Discuss her relationships with her mother, her college roommate, and her husband in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
In Cathedral, the husband and Robert are very different people. Robert is blind and the husband is not, but that is not the most important different between them. How do these characters exchange sight in the evening they spend together? How does the evening change both men?
Essay Topic 3
In the story Dog Heaven, the author has created two children and a dog who live in a work of adults involved in the military. The narrator therefore focuses the story on the elements of childhood most recognized by people growing up. Discuss three of those elements and how they help the reader to relate to the story and to the narrator as a child.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)