|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Home, why does Daniel not want the narrator to see his back?
2. What color is Arnold's car?
3. What do most of the PFC and Spec4s carry with them?
4. Where do the narrator of Rules of the Game and her family live?
5. How old is Connie's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator of Lawns, and what is her crime?
2. Why does Daniel not want the narrator of Home to see his back?
3. In the story Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been, who is Arnold French, and how does he strike up a conversation with Connie?
4. Who is Vopotik in the story Helping?
5. What secret does the narrator of Lawns finally reveal to her boyfriend and her mother? How do they react?
6. What news does the narrator receive about Sparky Smith shortly after her move from Fort Niagara?
7. In the story Daddy Garbage, how does Strayhorn discover the baby in the box?
8. In Men Under Water, who is the narrator's wife, and how does she feel about him working for Gunther? What does the narrator do for a living?
9. Before she dies, what story does Margaret tell Evie and Lydia that change their lives?
10. In the story Helping, who are Elliot and Grace and what do they do for a living? How are their jobs similar and how are they different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fat Girl chronicles the story of a young woman with an eating disorder. How does Louise suffer at the hands of those who wish to help her? Discuss her relationships with her mother, her college roommate, and her husband in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
In the story Minor Heroism, from whose point of view is the story told? How is point of view, or voice, used to enrich the story? Discuss and use examples.
Essay Topic 3
In his Introduction, Tobias Wolff quotes Kafka as saying literature is like an axe with which to break "the frozen sea within us." What did Kafka mean by this? What two stories in the collection had this affect on you and why?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)