|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Aunt Granny Lith ask Casey to do?
2. Why is Grace angry with Elliot throughout the story?
3. In The Things They Carried, what are some of things the soldiers carry for personal use?
4. What person do both the narrator and her mother of Home think about simultaneously?
5. Where do the narrator of Rules of the Game and her family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the short story Train, who are the two little girls on the train, how old are they, and where are they going?
2. In the story Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been, who is Arnold French, and how does he strike up a conversation with Connie?
3. In the story Rules of the Game, who is Lau Fo?
4. In Cody's Story, who are Cody and G.R.? What do they do for a living and where?
5. How does Connie's mother treat her?
6. In Moonwalk, who is Margaret Many Wounds and what is happening to her as the story opens? Who is taking care of her?
7. Before she dies, what story does Margaret tell Evie and Lydia that change their lives?
8. Who is Vopotik in the story Helping?
9. In the story Murderers, who do the young boys want to see when they climb up onto the water tower, and why?
10. In the short story Aunt Granny Lith, who is Aunt Granny Lith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of metaphors in the story Men Under Water. How do they reflect the relationship between the narrator and Gunther?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author portray nature and the forces of nature in the story Wickedness?
Essay Topic 3
Earl, in Rock Springs, tries to change his life by stealing a car and leaving Montana with his girlfriend and his daughter. How does the author use foreshadowing to prepare the reader for Earl's failed attempt at this new life? How does the last paragraph of the story foreshadow the rest of Earl's life?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)