|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the story Murderers set?
2. Where does the narrator of Lawns go to college?
3. Who is Buck in Cody's Story?
4. What person do both the narrator and her mother of Home think about simultaneously?
5. Why do Gunther and the narrator show up at Otis and Luke's' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story Dog Heaven, who is Sparky Smith and what game does he and the narrator play together?
2. In Moonwalk, who is Margaret Many Wounds and what is happening to her as the story opens? Who is taking care of her?
3. In Cody's Story, who are Cody and G.R.? What do they do for a living and where?
4. Before she dies, what story does Margaret tell Evie and Lydia that change their lives?
5. What questions does Danica ask Jane's father near the end of the train trip, and how does he respond?
6. Who does Strayhorn immediately find to help him figure out what to do with the dead baby and why?
7. In the short story Aunt Granny Lith, who is Aunt Granny Lith?
8. How does Connie's mother treat her?
9. In the short story Train, who are the two little girls on the train, how old are they, and where are they going?
10. What does G.R. ask Cody after he hears Cody's story of his near accident off the mountain that day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In her short story, Tan describes "invisible strength." How does MeiMei interpret the concept of invisible strength? What does she accomplish using this concept? What other female in another story uses what could be called invisible strength and how is it similar to MeiMei's?
Essay Topic 2
Earl, in Rock Springs, tries to change his life by stealing a car and leaving Montana with his girlfriend and his daughter. How does the author use foreshadowing to prepare the reader for Earl's failed attempt at this new life? How does the last paragraph of the story foreshadow the rest of Earl's life?
Essay Topic 3
When Danica asks Mr. Muirhead, in the story Train, whether she and Jane will be friends forever, how does he respond? Why does he know these things about his daughter, and likewise know Danica is not like his daughter?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)