|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As A Vintage Thunderbird opens, who are the people driving from Virginia to New York?
2. What does the mother in The First Day ask for help in doing?
3. In the story Chopin in Winter, who is the first person in Mrs. Kubiac's family to graduate from high school and attend college?
4. What show does Robert and his hosts end up watching on television?
5. In Testimony of Pilot, how does Lillian die?
Short Essay Questions
1. In The Fat Girl, what is the secret that follows Louise from high school to college?
2. Who is Hattie Benedict in Wickedness, and how does she survive the blizzard?
3. In Testimony of Pilot, how does Quadberry get the scar over his right eye?
4. Who is speaking in Girl, and to who is she directing her instructions?
5. Who does the mother in the story The First Day ask the woman at Walker Jones School and why?
6. In A Romantic Weekend, how long do Beth and her companion stay in Washington,D.C. and how do they return home? Why did they actually make the trip?
7. In the story Chopin in Winter, what do Michael and Dzia-Dzia talk about at night and why?
8. In the story A Romantic Weekend, where are Beth and her companion going for their romantic weekend, and how does the narrator describe the apartment?
9. How does the woman in The Darling meet Lenny?
10. How does Dzia-Dzia describe Chopin's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chose three female characters from any of the short stories in the book. Discuss what these three women have in common with each other, and how they are different from each other. Include the ways in which the woman are victims and of what or whom.
Essay Topic 2
Earl, in Rock Springs, tries to change his life by stealing a car and leaving Montana with his girlfriend and his daughter. How does the author use foreshadowing to prepare the reader for Earl's failed attempt at this new life? How does the last paragraph of the story foreshadow the rest of Earl's life?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Ad Magic? How does his name give important information about who he is and what he does with his life? How does his affliction blur the lines of reality and fantasy for Ad Magic?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)