|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the couple stay for the weekend in A Romantic Weekend?
2. What did Louise sneak out of the kitchen when she was a young child?
3. What do Nick and Karen do on Sundays?
4. When did Emily first meet Willi Varig?
5. What unusual injury befalls Terrence Weber in Emergency?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story Minor Heroism, who is Bryan, and what about him bothers his father?
2. In A Romantic Weekend, how long do Beth and her companion stay in Washington,D.C. and how do they return home? Why did they actually make the trip?
3. In the story Emergency, who is Terrence Weber? What unusual thing has happened to him?
4. Who does the mother in the story The First Day ask the woman at Walker Jones School and why?
5. In Carol Bly's story "Talk of Heroes," who is Willi Varig?
6. In the story A Romantic Weekend, where are Beth and her companion going for their romantic weekend, and how does the narrator describe the apartment?
7. Why does Delores kill her husband Michael in Scott Bradfield's story "The Darling"?
8. What story does Edna tell the narrator of Rock Springs about her pet, a monkey?
9. Who is Petra in Ann Beattie's story "A Vintage Thunderbird"?
10. How does the narrator of Testimony of Pilot lose his hearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story Dog Heaven, the author has created two children and a dog who live in a work of adults involved in the military. The narrator therefore focuses the story on the elements of childhood most recognized by people growing up. Discuss three of those elements and how they help the reader to relate to the story and to the narrator as a child.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ad Magic? How does his name give important information about who he is and what he does with his life? How does his affliction blur the lines of reality and fantasy for Ad Magic?
Essay Topic 3
In the story Lawn, the narrator steals from the mail room of her dormitory. In her life, she has had a great deal stolen from her. Discuss what the narrator steals and why, and then what has been stolen from her and why. Can she ever be compensated for what has been stolen from her? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)