|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies on the day of the narrator's story in Murderers?
(a) Arnold Bloom.
(b) Marsha Bernstein.
(c) Melvin Bloom.
(d) Harold Cohen.
2. What do the two men who come to visit Gunther leave with him as they go?
(a) Their standard poodle George.
(b) A check for good-faith money for the movie.
(c) Twenty thousand dollars in cash.
(d) Their Mercedes.
3. In the story Moonwalk, who is Margaret Many Wounds?
(a) A Native American woman whose son wants to walk on the moon.
(b) A Native American woman who believes she lives on the moon.
(c) A Native American woman who runs a counseling center.
(d) A Native American woman who is dying.
4. In Home, why does Daniel not want the narrator to see his back?
(a) Because he is very hairy.
(b) Because of his deformity.
(c) Because he believes it is bad luck.
(d) Because of his wounds from Vietnam.
5. Where does the narrator of the story Home go on Saturdays?
(a) The public library in the next town.
(b) The movies.
(c) The Veterans of Foreign Wars rummage sales.
(d) The grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Margaret's family members learn about Dr. Sakuma?
2. Who are Evie and Lydia?
3. In Aunt Granny Lith, when did Casey's first wife die?
4. In Lawns, what room has the narrator reserved at the hotel?
5. In Home, what record does the narrator buy for her mother to enjoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story Rules of the Game, who is Lau Fo?
2. In the story Helping, who are Elliot and Grace and what do they do for a living? How are their jobs similar and how are they different?
3. What secret does the narrator of Lawns finally reveal to her boyfriend and her mother? How do they react?
4. In Rules of the Game, what is Meimei's mother's "chang"?
5. Who is the narrator of Lawns, and what is her crime?
6. Who is the main character of Departures? How old is he when the story opens? Where is he going?
7. How does Casey know Aunt Granny Lith, and what does he do when he sees her again?
8. In the short story Aunt Granny Lith, who is Aunt Granny Lith?
9. In the story Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been, who is Arnold French, and how does he strike up a conversation with Connie?
10. Before she dies, what story does Margaret tell Evie and Lydia that change their lives?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)