|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator meet observing a chess game in the park one afternoon in Rules of the Game?
(a) Lau Po.
(b) Max Reinhardt.
(c) Sin Lee.
(d) John Trumble.
2. How old is Connie's sister?
(a) Twenty four.
(b) Twenty nine,
(c) Twenty seven.
3. What gender does Beth believe her baby to be?
(a) A boy.
(b) She does not know.
(c) Both: she think she has twins.
(d) A girl.
4. In Home, why does Daniel not want the narrator to see his back?
(a) Because he believes it is bad luck.
(b) Because of his deformity.
(c) Because of his wounds from Vietnam.
(d) Because he is very hairy.
5. What does the narrator of the story Home do for a living while she is living with her mother?
(a) She is a tutor for remedial reading students.
(b) She is a second grade teacher.
(c) She is a school counselor.
(d) She is a math tutor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story Rules of Invisible Strength, what is invisible strength?
2. For the most part, what is one thing the narrator say determines what the soldiers carried with them?
3. What does the priest say to his mother when he sees her?
4. Why is Grace angry with Elliot throughout the story?
5. In the story Helping, what do both Elliot and Grace do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator of Lawns, and what is her crime?
2. Where is the priest going at the end of Departures, and where has he been? How is he traveling?
3. In the short story Aunt Granny Lith, who is Aunt Granny Lith?
4. How does Casey know Aunt Granny Lith, and what does he do when he sees her again?
5. Who is the main character of Departures? How old is he when the story opens? Where is he going?
6. In the story Helping, who are Elliot and Grace and what do they do for a living? How are their jobs similar and how are they different?
7. What questions does Danica ask Jane's father near the end of the train trip, and how does he respond?
8. How do the boys in Murderers get caught on their misadventure, and what happens to them?
9. What are some of the superstitious things the soldiers carry with them, and what is the most unusual of them?
10. Why does Daniel not want the narrator of Home to see his back?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)