|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sparky Smith die?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He is hit by a car.
(d) He falls off a cliff.
2. Who gives birth at the end of Daddy Garbage?
3. How old is the priest in Departures when he goes by train to his family's home after six years away?
(a) Fifty five.
(b) Twenty five.
(c) Twenty one.
4. In Dog Heaven, what is "Fact Monday"?
(a) The day on which students were tested on math facts.
(b) The day on which the teacher showed a movie about state history.
(c) The day on which the teacher taught on a specific topic.
(d) The day on which students were tested on spelling words.
5. In Aunt Granny Lith, what does Nomey give Beth to wear?
(a) A piece of moley root.
(b) A chain or garlic.
(c) A gold necklace.
(d) A new dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story Helping, what do both Elliot and Grace do for a living?
2. At dinner, how does Jane introduce herself and Danica to the couple at their table?
3. In Murderers, what music could the boys hear from their vantage point?
4. Who is Daddy Garbage?
5. In his dream, what does the priest see the soldier do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the short story Train, who are the two little girls on the train, how old are they, and where are they going?
2. What questions does Danica ask Jane's father near the end of the train trip, and how does he respond?
3. In the story Daddy Garbage, how does Strayhorn discover the baby in the box?
4. In the story Dog Heaven, who is Sparky Smith and what game does he and the narrator play together?
5. In the story Murderers, who do the young boys want to see when they climb up onto the water tower, and why?
6. In the story Home, what does the narrator's mother say to her to convince the narrator to move in with her for awhile? What help does she offer her daughter in the move?
7. In Men Under Water, who is the narrator's wife, and how does she feel about him working for Gunther? What does the narrator do for a living?
8. Why does Daniel not want the narrator of Home to see his back?
9. Who is Vopotik in the story Helping?
10. How do the boys in Murderers get caught on their misadventure, and what happens to them?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)