|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story Home, why does the narrator come home to live with her mother?
(a) Her father asked her to come take care of her mother.
(b) Her sister called her and told her to go visit their mother.
(c) Her mother is dying of Parkinson's disease.
(d) She ran out of money and was not in love with anyone.
2. In Home, why does Daniel not want the narrator to see his back?
(a) Because of his wounds from Vietnam.
(b) Because of his deformity.
(c) Because he is very hairy.
(d) Because he believes it is bad luck.
3. What does Lieutenant Jimmy Cross and his men do after Lavender is taken away by the chopper?
(a) They evacuate women and children from Than Khe.
(b) They leave Lavender's belongings in Than Khe.
(c) They recruit the men from Than Khe.
(d) They burns down Than Khe.
4. What do Margaret's family members learn about Dr. Sakuma?
(a) He was the father of her children.
(b) He was the man who named her Many Wounds.
(c) He was her grandfather, a white man.
(d) He was the teacher who inspired her to learn.
5. Who does the narrator of Lawns fall in love with the second time she sees him?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Aunt Granny Lith, what does Nomey give Beth to wear?
2. What do the two men who come to visit Gunther leave with him as they go?
3. In Rules of the Game, what magazine features an article about the narrator?
4. Why do Gunther and the narrator show up at Otis and Luke's' house?
5. What person do both the narrator and her mother of Home think about simultaneously?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Men Under Water, who is the narrator's wife, and how does she feel about him working for Gunther? What does the narrator do for a living?
2. What does G.R. ask Cody after he hears Cody's story of his near accident off the mountain that day?
3. What are some of the superstitious things the soldiers carry with them, and what is the most unusual of them?
4. In the story Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been, who is Arnold French, and how does he strike up a conversation with Connie?
5. In Cody's Story, who are Cody and G.R.? What do they do for a living and where?
6. In the story Helping, who are Elliot and Grace and what do they do for a living? How are their jobs similar and how are they different?
7. In the short story Train, who are the two little girls on the train, how old are they, and where are they going?
8. In the story Murderers, who do the young boys want to see when they climb up onto the water tower, and why?
9. In the story Dog Heaven, who is Sparky Smith and what game does he and the narrator play together?
10. Why does Daniel not want the narrator of Home to see his back?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)