|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Departures, according to the young seminarian, for how long do Jesuits meditate each day?
(a) Two hours.
(b) An hour.
(c) They do not meditate.
(d) Fifteen minutes.
2. What does the narrator of the story Home do for a living while she is living with her mother?
(a) She is a second grade teacher.
(b) She is a school counselor.
(c) She is a tutor for remedial reading students.
(d) She is a math tutor.
3. In Lawns, how does the narrator describe her mother?
(a) "Ms. I-know-everything-and-you-don't."
(b) "Ms. Everything-will-be-alright."
(c) "Ms. America."
(d) "Ms. I'm-going-to-be-perfect."
4. Who is Blankenship?
(a) A petty thief who seeks Elliot's help.
(b) A fellow scientist at the university.
(c) A psychiartist.
(d) A law partner.
5. Why does Mr. Muirhead say he always talks to young men?
(a) Because he is fascinated with their career choices.
(b) Becaue his wife will not let him talk to young women.
(c) Because he is interested in young men.
(d) Because he is bored talking to his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Gunther and the narrator meet in the morning?
2. Who is Danica writing a postcard to about which that Jane criticizes her?
3. What did the narrator of Rules of the Game receive at the annual church Christmas party?
4. In Lawns, what room has the narrator reserved at the hotel?
5. In Home, what record does the narrator buy for her mother to enjoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story Daddy Garbage, how does Strayhorn discover the baby in the box?
2. What questions does Danica ask Jane's father near the end of the train trip, and how does he respond?
3. Who does Strayhorn immediately find to help him figure out what to do with the dead baby and why?
4. In the story Helping, who are Elliot and Grace and what do they do for a living? How are their jobs similar and how are they different?
5. Before she dies, what story does Margaret tell Evie and Lydia that change their lives?
6. What news does the narrator receive about Sparky Smith shortly after her move from Fort Niagara?
7. In the story Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been, who is Arnold French, and how does he strike up a conversation with Connie?
8. Why does Daniel not want the narrator of Home to see his back?
9. Where is the priest going at the end of Departures, and where has he been? How is he traveling?
10. What secret does the narrator of Lawns finally reveal to her boyfriend and her mother? How do they react?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)