|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Louise sneak out of the kitchen when she was a young child?
(a) Her mother's diet pills.
(b) Peanut butter sandwiches.
(c) Homemade chocolate chip cookies.
(d) Diet cola.
2. What do Nick and Karen do on Sundays?
(a) They jogged or worked out in a gym.
(b) They jogged or practiced basketball.
(c) They drove to the country.
(d) They slept late and read the paper all afternoon.
3. Who is telling the story of the first day?
(a) The narrator looking back on the first day of summer camp.
(b) The teacher taking in a new student to her classroom.
(c) The mother looking back on taking her child to school.
(d) The narrator looking back on the first day of kindergarten.
4. What does the older son in Minor Heroism do for a living?
(a) He is an attorney.
(b) He is a college professor.
(c) He is a school teacher.
(d) He is a writer.
5. In the story The First Day, what time does the mother tell her daughter she will pick her up?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Testimony of Pilot, how does Lillian die?
2. Where are the narrator and his passengers going in the story Rock Springs?
3. What does Bryan tell his father to do with the picture he has drawn?
4. What happens to Quadberry in the VIetnam war?
5. In The Fat Girl, what did Louise's mother start talking to her about when Louise was eight years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story A Romantic Weekend, where are Beth and her companion going for their romantic weekend, and how does the narrator describe the apartment?
2. In the story Emergency, who is Terrence Weber? What unusual thing has happened to him?
3. In the story Rock Springs, how do Edna, Cheryl and the narrator end up in Rock Springs?
4. In Moonwalk, who is Margaret Many Wounds and what is happening to her as the story opens? Who is taking care of her?
5. In Men Under Water, who is the narrator's wife, and how does she feel about him working for Gunther? What does the narrator do for a living?
6. Who is the main character of Departures? How old is he when the story opens? Where is he going?
7. What are some of the things the speaker in Girl encourages the young girl to learn how to do in the home?
8. In the story Dog Heaven, who is Sparky Smith and what game does he and the narrator play together?
9. Why does Daniel not want the narrator of Home to see his back?
10. Who does Strayhorn immediately find to help him figure out what to do with the dead baby and why?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)