|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tall Tales from the Mekong Delta, where is the protagonist going when she first meets Lenny?
(a) To her AA meeting.
(b) To the movies.
(c) To work.
(d) To the grocery.
2. Who is Louise's close friend in college?
3. What does the speaker in Girl teach about spitting up in the air?
(a) Why good girls do not do it.
(b) Why not to do it.
(c) How to do it, and how to catch it.
(d) How to do it, and how to get out of the way.
4. Who is telling the story of the first day?
(a) The narrator looking back on the first day of kindergarten.
(b) The mother looking back on taking her child to school.
(c) The teacher taking in a new student to her classroom.
(d) The narrator looking back on the first day of summer camp.
5. In Minor Heroism, what happens between father and son one New Year's Eve that shocks the father?
(a) In frsutration the father called his son names.
(b) His son told him he was getting married.
(c) His son knocked him to the ground.
(d) In anger the father hit his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Michael and Delores first find they have in common?
2. What instrument does Quadberry in Testimony of Pilot play?
3. Where are the narrator and his passengers going in the story Rock Springs?
4. In River of Names, what does the narrator's lover accuse her of?
5. In the story The Girl, why does the speaker suggest growing okra far away from the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story Wickedness, what happens in Nebraska on the twelfth of January, 1888? How does this affect the townspeople?
2. In Carol Bly's story "Talk of Heroes," who is Willi Varig?
3. How does Dzia-Dzia describe Chopin's death?
4. What happens to Ad Magic in the beginning of A White Horse, and how do the people he is with react to his situation?
5. In the story Emergency, who is Terrence Weber? What unusual thing has happened to him?
6. What picture do the narrator of Catherdraland Robert draw and why?
7. Who are the main characters in River of Names, and how are they different from each other?
8. What memory does Bryan relate in the third part of the story Minor Heroism?
9. Who is speaking in Girl, and to who is she directing her instructions?
10. In the story The First Day, where are the mother and child going at the opening of the story? Why is this an important day?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)