|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Georgie hit when he is driving around with the narrator after their shifts?
(a) A cow.
(b) A deer.
(c) A pregnant rabbit.
(d) A truck.
2. In the story Testimony of Pilot, what does Radcleve do to Quadberry?
(a) Beats him up.
(b) Throws a lit firecracker in his face.
(c) Throws a rock in his face.
(d) Trips him goign down the stairs.
3. What did Louise sneak out of the kitchen when she was a young child?
(a) Homemade chocolate chip cookies.
(b) Diet cola.
(c) Peanut butter sandwiches.
(d) Her mother's diet pills.
4. In the story Rock Springs, what animal does Edna win in a bet?
(a) A spider monkey.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A goat.
(d) A tarantula.
5. In the story Emergency, how long has the narrator been working in the emergency room when his story begins?
(a) About six months.
(b) About three weeks.
(c) About a year.
(d) About three months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the young girl carrying with her on the first day?
2. In the story The Girl, why does the speaker suggest growing okra far away from the house?
3. Whose music does Dzia-Dzia hear while he sits at the other end of the kitchen table from Michael?
4. What does the older son in Minor Heroism do for a living?
5. What does Louise have hidden in the back of her closet behind her stuffed animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story Rock Springs, how do Edna, Cheryl and the narrator end up in Rock Springs?
2. In A Romantic Weekend, how long do Beth and her companion stay in Washington,D.C. and how do they return home? Why did they actually make the trip?
3. How does Dzia-Dzia describe Chopin's death?
4. What memory does Bryan relate in the third part of the story Minor Heroism?
5. In the story Emergency, who is Terrence Weber? What unusual thing has happened to him?
6. In the story Cathedral, who is Robert and how does he enter the story?
7. Who is Petra in Ann Beattie's story "A Vintage Thunderbird"?
8. In the story A Romantic Weekend, where are Beth and her companion going for their romantic weekend, and how does the narrator describe the apartment?
9. Who is Hattie Benedict in Wickedness, and how does she survive the blizzard?
10. In the story The First Day, where are the mother and child going at the opening of the story? Why is this an important day?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)