|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Aunt Granny Lith ask Casey to do?
(a) To love her.
(b) To kill her.
(c) To move her.
(d) To marry her.
2. Who gives birth at the end of Daddy Garbage?
3. In the story Lawns, how does the narrator identify herself in the first sentence of the story?
(a) She blackmails.
(b) She kills.
(c) She steals.
(d) She lies.
4. In Murderers, what music could the boys hear from their vantage point?
(a) A symphony.
(c) Rock music.
(d) A rumba.
5. In Aunt Granny Lith, what does Nomey give Beth to wear?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A gold necklace.
(c) A chain or garlic.
(d) A piece of moley root.
6. In the story Murderers, what does Melvin Bloom tell the boys on the corner one summer afternoon?
(a) The rabbi is home with his wife.
(b) Marsha Bernstein is walking toward them.
(c) The donut shop is giving away donuts.
(d) There is a craps game in the alley.
7. In Dog Heaven, who is Duke?
(a) The dog.
(b) The janitor.
(c) The principal.
(d) The mascot.
8. Who dies on the day of the narrator's story in Murderers?
(a) Harold Cohen.
(b) Melvin Bloom.
(c) Marsha Bernstein.
(d) Arnold Bloom.
9. What does the narrator of Men Under Water do for a living?
(a) He is a handyman and general helper.
(b) He is poet.
(c) He is an experienced playwriter.
(d) He is an actor.
10. Where do Gunther and the narrator meet in the morning?
(a) The Stubborn Spoon Diner.
(b) The Shrek Diner.
(c) The Wonderland Diner.
(d) The Peter Pan Diner.
11. In Home, what record does the narrator buy for her mother to enjoy?
(a) The Sound of Music.
(c) Phantom of the Opera.
(d) The Beatles.
12. In Dog Heaven, what is "Fact Monday"?
(a) The day on which the teacher showed a movie about state history.
(b) The day on which students were tested on spelling words.
(c) The day on which students were tested on math facts.
(d) The day on which the teacher taught on a specific topic.
13. In Rules of the Game, what magazine features an article about the narrator?
(a) Seventeen Magazine.
(c) Life Magazine.
(d) Time Magazine.
14. In Departures, according to the young seminarian, for how long do Jesuits meditate each day?
(a) Two hours.
(b) They do not meditate.
(c) Fifteen minutes.
(d) An hour.
15. In the story Moonwalk, who is Margaret Many Wounds?
(a) A Native American woman who is dying.
(b) A Native American woman who runs a counseling center.
(c) A Native American woman whose son wants to walk on the moon.
(d) A Native American woman who believes she lives on the moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the narrator of Dog Heaven and her family live?
2. Who does the narrator meet observing a chess game in the park one afternoon in Rules of the Game?
3. Why does Mr. Muirhead say he always talks to young men?
4. In the story Home, why does the narrator come home to live with her mother?
5. How old is the priest in Departures when he goes by train to his family's home after six years away?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)