|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lie does Blankenship tell everyone?
(a) He is a Vietnam veteran.
(b) He is a published author.
(c) He is Einstein's great grandson.
(d) He is an idiot savant.
2. In the story Murderers, what does Melvin Bloom tell the boys on the corner one summer afternoon?
(a) The donut shop is giving away donuts.
(b) Marsha Bernstein is walking toward them.
(c) There is a craps game in the alley.
(d) The rabbi is home with his wife.
3. What do the two men who come to visit Gunther leave with him as they go?
(a) Their Mercedes.
(b) A check for good-faith money for the movie.
(c) Their standard poodle George.
(d) Twenty thousand dollars in cash.
4. What does the narrator of Men Under Water do for a living?
(a) He is an experienced playwriter.
(b) He is a handyman and general helper.
(c) He is an actor.
(d) He is poet.
5. How does Charles Bad Holy MacLeod die?
(a) Of cancer.
(b) Of a brain tumor.
(c) Of pneumonia.
(d) Of tuberculosis.
6. In the story Lawns, how does the narrator identify herself in the first sentence of the story?
(a) She steals.
(b) She blackmails.
(c) She kills.
(d) She lies.
7. At dinner, how does Jane introduce herself and Danica to the couple at their table?
(a) As Cathy and Carra, acrobats.
(b) As Crystal and Clara, twin sisters.
(c) As Jane and Danica, musical talents.
(d) As Carrin and Clara, twin gymnasts.
8. Who does the narrator of Lawns fall in love with the second time she sees him?
9. Where does Margaret explain her grandmother's wedding dress is?
(a) The Walker Art Museum in Minneapolis.
(b) The St. Louis Art Museum.
(c) The Metropolitan Museum in New York.
(d) The Field Museum in Chicago.
10. In Home, what record does the narrator buy for her mother to enjoy?
(a) The Sound of Music.
(b) Phantom of the Opera.
(c) The Beatles.
11. What does Lieutenant Jimmy Cross and his men do after Lavender is taken away by the chopper?
(a) They burns down Than Khe.
(b) They recruit the men from Than Khe.
(c) They leave Lavender's belongings in Than Khe.
(d) They evacuate women and children from Than Khe.
12. In Departures, according to the young seminarian, for how long do Jesuits meditate each day?
(a) An hour.
(b) They do not meditate.
(c) Fifteen minutes.
(d) Two hours.
13. In Lawns, how does the narrator describe her mother?
(a) "Ms. America."
(b) "Ms. Everything-will-be-alright."
(c) "Ms. I'm-going-to-be-perfect."
(d) "Ms. I-know-everything-and-you-don't."
14. What happens to Cody as he turns to go home from his nap on the rocks?
(a) He slips and falls to the rocks below.
(b) He trips over a tree root and nearly falls.
(c) He yells to G.R. and starts an avalanche.
(d) He slips and slides toward the edge of the summit.
15. In Murderers, who runs the camp to which the narrator goes in New Jersey?
(a) Camp counselors.
(b) WWII veterans.
(d) Marsha Bernstein's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both Cody and his partner drink on Sunday mornings?
2. Who is Danica writing a postcard to about which that Jane criticizes her?
3. Who dies on the day of the narrator's story in Murderers?
4. Where do Sparky Smith and the narrator attend school?
5. What did Aunt Granny Lith ask Casey to do?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)