|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the protagonist in Tall Tales from the Mekong Deltareact when Lenny shows up at her house unannounced?
(a) She is nervous.
(b) She is curious.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is thrilled.
2. In Minor Heroism, what happens between father and son one New Year's Eve that shocks the father?
(a) His son knocked him to the ground.
(b) In anger the father hit his son.
(c) In frsutration the father called his son names.
(d) His son told him he was getting married.
3. Where does Hattie Benedict move after the blizzard?
(a) Raleigh, North Carolina.
(b) Sarasota, Florida.
(c) Seattle, Washington
(d) Oakland, California.
4. What does Ad Magic give to the young boy with the performing monkey?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) HIs sweater.
(c) All of his change.
(d) His hat.
5. In the story The Girl, why does the speaker suggest growing okra far away from the house?
(a) Okra trees harbor red ants.
(b) Okra has deep roots.
(c) Okra attracts deer.
(d) Okra smells bad.
6. What two children are left at the school house with the teacher during the blizzard?
(a) Jason and Alice Meyer.
(b) Johan and Alma Lindquist.
(c) John and Annie Lendorff.
(d) Jacob and Annie Smithson.
7. In the story A Romantic Weekend, where is the couple in the story going for the weekend?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
8. In Cathedral, who is Robert?
(a) The wife's brother.
(b) The wife's grandfather.
(c) The wife's uncle.
(d) The wife's blind friend.
9. What is Georgie's job at the hospital?
(a) He is a janitor.
(b) He is a doctor.
(c) He is an orderly.
(d) He is a practical nurse.
10. Where does Hattie Benedict and the two children find shelter during the blizzard?
(a) In a wooden house.
(b) In an automobile.
(c) In a haystack.
(d) In a pig sty.
11. Who is Louise's close friend in college?
12. When does the story The First Day take place?
(a) In mid-winter at the start of the new school term.
(b) In early summer at the start of summer camp.
(c) In September at the start of the school year.
(d) In January at the start of the new year.
13. What is Walter's problem?
(a) He is an alcoholic.
(b) He is having an affair.
(c) He is dying of cancer.
(d) He is losing his memory.
14. In the story A Romantic Weekend, where does the couple go for dinner on their weekend?
(a) Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
(b) Roy Rogers Cafeteria.
15. In Minor Heroism, who is posing in the famous picture with the narrator's father?
(a) Betty Grable.
(b) Marilyn Monroe.
(c) Audrey Hepburn.
(d) The Andrews Sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the couple stay for the weekend in A Romantic Weekend?
2. What does Lenny in Tall Tales from the Mekong Delta give the protagonist before he leaves?
3. In The Darling, what is Dolores Starr's unusual occupation?
4. What do Michael and Delores first find they have in common?
5. In the story Emergency, how long has the narrator been working in the emergency room when his story begins?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)