|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is telling the story of the first day?
(a) The narrator looking back on the first day of summer camp.
(b) The mother looking back on taking her child to school.
(c) The teacher taking in a new student to her classroom.
(d) The narrator looking back on the first day of kindergarten.
2. How does the protagonist in Tall Tales from the Mekong Deltareact when Lenny shows up at her house unannounced?
(a) She is nervous.
(b) She is curious.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is thrilled.
3. Who does Georgie pick up hitchhiking on the side of the road?
(a) A young woman escaping a horrible husband.
(b) A young man AWOL from the army trying to get to Canada.
(c) A young man running from the police.
(d) A young woman who has been shot.
4. In the story Emergency, how long has the narrator been working in the emergency room when his story begins?
(a) About six months.
(b) About three weeks.
(c) About three months.
(d) About a year.
5. What does the couple decide to do after their first night together on their romantic weekend?
(a) Take a long walk.
(b) Go to a museum.
(c) Read the Sunday paper.
(d) Return home.
6. What did Michael remember hearing as a child from the open window in his room?
(a) His parents singing.
(b) The sound of the traffic on the street.
(c) The Kubiacs fighting.
(d) The discussions in the Kubiac's apartment.
7. What does Bryan tell his father to do with the picture he has drawn?
(a) He tells his father to give it back to him.
(b) He tells his father to keep it.
(c) He tells his father to throw it away.
(d) He tells his father to put it up on the wall.
8. What does the father in the story Minor Heroism do for a living?
(a) He is a desk sergeant.
(b) He is an attorney.
(c) He is an insurance salesman.
(d) He is a used car dealer.
9. Who is Dzia-Dzia?
(a) Michael's uncle.
(b) Michael's mother.
(c) Michael's grandfather.
(d) Michael's sister.
10. What instructions does the speaker give in The Girl about eating?
(a) Eat so that you get the most food.
(b) Eat so that no one around you is disgusted.
(c) Eat alone so as to have some quiet time.
(d) Eat quickly so as to resume your duties.
11. What instrument does Quadberry in Testimony of Pilot play?
(a) The saxophone.
(b) The clarinet.
(c) The drums.
(d) The violin.
12. What advise does the speaker in Girl give about bread?
(a) Always buy the largest loaf.
(b) Always squeeze it so you know it is fresh.
(c) Always buy warm bread.
(d) Always buy white bread.
13. In the story Wickedness, where does Ainslie Classen find shelter in the blizzard?
(a) With the cows in the barn.
(b) With his family in the storn cellar.
(c) In his home.
(d) With the pigs in the slops trough.
14. In the story Girl, on what day does the speaker tell the girl to wash clothes?
15. In Tall Tales from the Mekong Delta, where is the protagonist going when she first meets Lenny?
(a) To work.
(b) To the movies.
(c) To her AA meeting.
(d) To the grocery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Louise's two girl friends in high school?
2. Who is Louise's close friend in college?
3. In the story Girl, why does the speaker say not to pick other people's flowers?
4. Where do Irene and the children move when they leave Flagstaff?
5. What does Robert call the husband?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)