|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hattie Benedict and the two children find shelter during the blizzard?
(a) In an automobile.
(b) In a pig sty.
(c) In a wooden house.
(d) In a haystack.
2. In All the Way in Flagstaff, what does William want to do when he grows up?
(a) Become a priest.
(b) Become a teacher.
(c) Become a firefighter.
(d) Become a doctor.
3. In the story The First Day, what time does the mother tell her daughter she will pick her up?
4. Who are Louise's two girl friends in high school?
(a) Jessica and Marie.
(b) Jean and Melanie.
(c) Joan and Marjorie.
(d) Joan and Harriet.
5. In The Fat Girl, what did Louise's mother start talking to her about when Louise was eight years old?
(a) Watching her weight.
(b) Attending high school.
(c) Her career.
(d) Attending college.
6. In the story Rock Springs, what animal does Edna win in a bet?
(a) A goat.
(b) A spider monkey.
(c) A tarantula.
(d) A kitten.
7. Who does Louise marry when she is thin?
8. What does the father in the story Minor Heroism do for a living?
(a) He is an attorney.
(b) He is a used car dealer.
(c) He is an insurance salesman.
(d) He is a desk sergeant.
9. In The Darling, what is Dolores Starr's unusual occupation?
(a) She is a zoo keeper.
(b) She is a detective.
(c) She is a murderer.
(d) She is a sky diver.
10. After the accident, where does Ad Magic encounter the white horse?
(a) With the boy and the monkey.
(b) In front of the New Zealand Cafe.
(c) On the beach of the Arabian Sea.
(d) On the race track outside the restaurant.
11. Where does Hattie Benedict move after the blizzard?
(a) Sarasota, Florida.
(b) Seattle, Washington
(c) Oakland, California.
(d) Raleigh, North Carolina.
12. What does Ad Magic give to the young boy with the performing monkey?
(a) His hat.
(b) HIs sweater.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) All of his change.
13. Who is telling the story of the first day?
(a) The teacher taking in a new student to her classroom.
(b) The narrator looking back on the first day of kindergarten.
(c) The mother looking back on taking her child to school.
(d) The narrator looking back on the first day of summer camp.
14. In Testimony of Pilot, how does Lillian die?
(a) She is murdered in her apartment.
(b) She dies in a car crash.
(c) She contracts cancer and dies within a year.
(d) A bomb explodes in a plane on which she is a stewardess.
15. In the story The Girl, why does the speaker suggest growing okra far away from the house?
(a) Okra trees harbor red ants.
(b) Okra attracts deer.
(c) Okra smells bad.
(d) Okra has deep roots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instructions does the speaker give in The Girl about eating?
2. In the story Girl, why does the speaker say not to pick other people's flowers?
3. What is the young girl carrying with her on the first day?
4. Who becomes deaf playing drums in a band in the story Testimony of Pilot?
5. In River of Names, who is the narrator's lover?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)