|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story Girl, why does the speaker say not to pick other people's flowers?
(a) You might be seen.
(b) You might catch something.
(c) You might get stung by a bee.
(d) You might get in trouble with the police.
2. In Talk of Heroes, Who is Willi Varig?
(a) Emily's husband.
(b) The director of the church.
(c) A Vietnam veteran.
(d) A famous Norwegian war hero.
3. What does the husband in Cathedral find disconcerting about Robert?
(a) Robert is a paraplegic.
(b) Robert is blind.
(c) Robert is over seven feet tall.
(d) Robert is only twenty years old.
4. What does Bryan tell his father to do with the picture he has drawn?
(a) He tells his father to give it back to him.
(b) He tells his father to throw it away.
(c) He tells his father to put it up on the wall.
(d) He tells his father to keep it.
5. What kind of car does the narrator of Rock Springs steal?
(a) A black Cadillac.
(b) A white Corvette.
(c) A cranberry Mercedes.
(d) A grey Continental.
6. What does Ad Magic give to the young boy with the performing monkey?
(a) HIs sweater.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) All of his change.
(d) His hat.
7. In Testimony of Pilot, who is Lillian?
(a) Radcleve's sister.
(b) Quadberry's girlfriend.
(c) A girl the narrator of the story has a crush on in college.
(d) The narrator's mother.
8. What is Michael working on when he sits at the kitchen table in the evenings?
(a) His art.
(b) His math.
(c) His science.
(d) His penmanship.
9. How old is the new county school teacher in Wickedness?
(a) Twenty five.
(c) Thirty nine.
10. What show does Robert and his hosts end up watching on television?
(a) A show about boating.
(b) A show about dog training.
(c) A show about cathedrals.
(d) A show about automobiles.
11. In the story The First Day, what time does the mother tell her daughter she will pick her up?
12. Who does Louise marry when she is thin?
13. In the story Girl, on what day does the speaker tell the girl to wash clothes?
14. Where does Hattie Benedict and the two children find shelter during the blizzard?
(a) In a haystack.
(b) In a wooden house.
(c) In an automobile.
(d) In a pig sty.
15. What does Georgie hit when he is driving around with the narrator after their shifts?
(a) A cow.
(b) A truck.
(c) A deer.
(d) A pregnant rabbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the vintage Thunderbird?
2. In River of Names, who is the narrator's lover?
3. In the story A Romantic Weekend, where does the couple go for dinner on their weekend?
4. In A Romantic Weekend, what does the woman want to talk about after dinner?
5. When did Emily first meet Willi Varig?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)