|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Karlsefni's son when they left Vinland?
2. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
3. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
4. What does the uniped do to Thorvald?
5. Who is Einar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
2. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
3. How does Karlsefni's mother feel about Gudrid when she meets her and how does that change over time?
4. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
5. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
6. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
7. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
8. What happens with the whale? Why do people refuse to eat it?
9. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
10. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the runic alphabets.
Part 1. When were the runic alphabets used?
Part 2. What different runic alphabets are there? How do they differ from each other?
Part 3. What runic alphabet did the Vikings use? Give particulars of this alphabet.
Part 4. Give an example of how to translate something into runes.
Essay Topic 2
Gudrid's father, Thorbjorn Vifilsson, is the son of a slave and is a respected well admired man, but is offended with another son of a slave proposes marriage to his daughter. Research and write an essay about the practice of slavery in Viking culture.
Part 1. How was the concept of slavery for the Vikings fundamentally different than the concept for slavery was for the United States? Which other cultures shared this practice?
Part 2. Where did the Vikings get their slaves?
Part 3. What were the likely and possible futures for a slave once taken by the Vikings?
Part 4. What were the social stigmas attached to slavery or having previously been a slave?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Hebrides and the role of the Vikings in their history.
Part 1. Where are the Hebrides? What is their geology like? Give an introduction to the Hebrides.
Part 2. Why might have the Hebrides been so aptly suited to Viking settlements? Explain the safety and accessibility of the Hebrides.
Part 3. When did Vikings first arrive on the Hebrides? How long did they stay? Give examples and cite particulars.
Part 4. What evidence remains, archeological and otherwise, of the Viking occupation of the Hebrides?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)