|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karlsefni offer Eirik to cheer him up?
2. How old was Karlsefni's son when they left Vinland?
3. What happens with the uniped after Thorvald dies?
4. What does Eirik offer the traders in return for their generosity?
5. Why does Leif travel to the Hebrides?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
2. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
3. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
4. Describe Thorhall and explain why he is on the expedition to Vinland.
5. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
6. How does Freydis drive away the natives giving chase?
7. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
8. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
9. Describe who Thorbjorg is and what her behavior is like when she arrives at Herjolfsness.
10. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Vinland Sagas are part of the history of Iceland. Write an essay about Iceland.
Part 1. Describe Iceland physically - where is it and what is the nature like there?
Part 2. What role does Iceland play in the Vinland Sagas? Why are the Vinland Sagas important to Iceland?
Part 3. Cover the history of Iceland. Who discovered it? When? What has happened to Iceland since then?
Part 4. What is modern Iceland like? Who lives there? What kind of government do they have? What has happened to them recently?
Essay Topic 2
What are the Icelandic Sagas?
Part 1. What are the Icelandic Sagas? When were they written and by whom?
Part 2. Why are the Icelandic Sagas important historically? What do we know from them?
Part 3. Summarize and analyze the content of the Vinland sagas.
Essay Topic 3
The Vinland Sagas are about the Vikings. Write an essay about Vikings.
Part 1. Who were the Vikings? When and where did they live?
Part 2. What were the Vikings famous and feared for? What were they like as a people and how did they survive? What did they accomplish?
Part 3.What records do we have about the Vikings? Discuss both the sagas and the archeological record.
Part 4. How did the Vikings leave their mark on the world?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)