|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Karlsefni and his men meet the natives?
2. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
3. What first attracts Einar to Gudrid?
4. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
5. In Eirik's saga, how does Leif encounter Vinland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
2. Explain Sigrid's vision, including where she was when she had it and the three individuals in her vision she identifies.
3. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
4. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
5. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
6. How do the two native boys describe the land that is across from their own land? Where might this be?
7. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
8. How does Karlsefni's mother feel about Gudrid when she meets her and how does that change over time?
9. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
10. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the runic alphabets.
Part 1. When were the runic alphabets used?
Part 2. What different runic alphabets are there? How do they differ from each other?
Part 3. What runic alphabet did the Vikings use? Give particulars of this alphabet.
Part 4. Give an example of how to translate something into runes.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Erik the Red.
Part 1. Who was Erik the Red? When and where did he live and die?
Part 2. How do we know about Erick the Red? What sources do we have regarding him?
Part 3. Write a brief biography about Erik the Red. Include what he did throughout his life and his reasons for doing those things. Who were his children?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about women in Viking culture.
Part 1. How did the rights of viking women compare with the rights of women in other areas of Europe?
Part 2. What traditions surrounded the processes of marriage and divorce?
Part 3. What were the roles and responsibilities of women in a marriage and society?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)