|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thorvald know they have found rich country just before he dies?
2. Who is Einar?
3. What do Karlsefni and his natives do with the natives the second time they get visited?
4. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
5. What do Karlsefni and his men first see on the opposite side of a clearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
2. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
3. Explain why the small boat on Bjarni's ship would not sink while the large one was about to.
4. How and why does Einar pursue Gudrid in marriage?
5. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
6. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
7. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
8. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
9. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
10. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Vinland Sagas are part of the history of Iceland. Write an essay about Iceland.
Part 1. Describe Iceland physically - where is it and what is the nature like there?
Part 2. What role does Iceland play in the Vinland Sagas? Why are the Vinland Sagas important to Iceland?
Part 3. Cover the history of Iceland. Who discovered it? When? What has happened to Iceland since then?
Part 4. What is modern Iceland like? Who lives there? What kind of government do they have? What has happened to them recently?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Vikings compare as shipbuilders, seamen and explorers to their contemporaries?
Part 1. As explorers and sea voyagers, how did the vikings compare to others of their time?
Part 2. What kind of ships did the Vikings use? What were the advantages and disadvantages of these ships? How were they made?
Part 3. What influence did the Viking ships have on other nautical customs of the time? What legacy have they left behind?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Hebrides and the role of the Vikings in their history.
Part 1. Where are the Hebrides? What is their geology like? Give an introduction to the Hebrides.
Part 2. Why might have the Hebrides been so aptly suited to Viking settlements? Explain the safety and accessibility of the Hebrides.
Part 3. When did Vikings first arrive on the Hebrides? How long did they stay? Give examples and cite particulars.
Part 4. What evidence remains, archeological and otherwise, of the Viking occupation of the Hebrides?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)