|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the uniped do when it sees Karlsefni and the men?
2. What does Eirik offer the traders in return for their generosity?
3. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
4. What is morale like the last Winter in Vinland?
5. What takes Thorstein Eriksson and Gudrid to Lysufjord?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
2. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
3. How do the two native boys describe the land that is across from their own land? Where might this be?
4. Describe who Thorbjorg is and what her behavior is like when she arrives at Herjolfsness.
5. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
6. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
7. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
8. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
9. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
10. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Vikings compare as shipbuilders, seamen and explorers to their contemporaries?
Part 1. As explorers and sea voyagers, how did the vikings compare to others of their time?
Part 2. What kind of ships did the Vikings use? What were the advantages and disadvantages of these ships? How were they made?
Part 3. What influence did the Viking ships have on other nautical customs of the time? What legacy have they left behind?
Essay Topic 2
The Vinland Sagas are about the Vikings. Write an essay about Vikings.
Part 1. Who were the Vikings? When and where did they live?
Part 2. What were the Vikings famous and feared for? What were they like as a people and how did they survive? What did they accomplish?
Part 3.What records do we have about the Vikings? Discuss both the sagas and the archeological record.
Part 4. How did the Vikings leave their mark on the world?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about many popular misconceptions about Vikings.
Part 1. What is the popular image of a Viking?
Part 2. What parts of the popular image of a Viking are wrong?
Part 3. Provide explanations or evidence that suggests that these popular misconceptions are not historical.
Part 4. What might historical Vikings have been like instead?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)