|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Karsefni and his crew pick up on their way home?
2. Who initializes the marriage between Karlsefni and Gudrid?
3. Where does Thorstein's ship next put in to land after it leaves Eiriksfjord?
4. Who goes on the next exploration of Vinland in Eirik's saga?
5. How many ships and men travel with Karlsefni to Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
2. What happens with the whale? Why do people refuse to eat it?
3. Explain what happens during Thorstein and Eirik's trip to Vinland, and what they do for the crew at the end of it.
4. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
5. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
6. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
7. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
8. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
9. How does Karlsefni's mother feel about Gudrid when she meets her and how does that change over time?
10. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters that make a brief appearance in the sagas that merit more attention, for example, Aud the Deep-Minded. Choose a minor character in the sagas and do some further research about them. If there is little information about the person you choose, then write about two different characters.
Part 1. What character or character did you choose to learn more about? Why?
Part 2. Describe the person or persons and what they did.
Part 3. Why is this significant or meaningful? What impact did they have?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Erik the Red.
Part 1. Who was Erik the Red? When and where did he live and die?
Part 2. How do we know about Erick the Red? What sources do we have regarding him?
Part 3. Write a brief biography about Erik the Red. Include what he did throughout his life and his reasons for doing those things. Who were his children?
Essay Topic 3
Do some outside research on the mystical creature referred to as a uniped, and write an essay about it.
Part 1. What is a uniped?
Part 2. Other than the Vinland Sagas, where are unipeds referred to them?
Part 3. What lore surrounds unipeds?
Part 4. Do you have an explanation about what unipeds might be? What other theories are out there about what this and other unipeds might be?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)