|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Einar?
2. What do Karlsefni and his men first see on the opposite side of a clearing?
3. What does Thorbjorg do for Gudrid?
4. What trouble is there with with Sigrid's corpse?
5. Why does Gudrid not want to help Thorbjorg?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
2. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
3. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
4. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
5. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
6. Describe who Thorbjorg is and what her behavior is like when she arrives at Herjolfsness.
7. Explain Sigrid's vision, including where she was when she had it and the three individuals in her vision she identifies.
8. Summarize the part Thorhall plays in the expedition to Vinland, including how it ends for both him and Karlsefni.
9. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
10. How do the two native boys describe the land that is across from their own land? Where might this be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Icelandic Sagas?
Part 1. What are the Icelandic Sagas? When were they written and by whom?
Part 2. Why are the Icelandic Sagas important historically? What do we know from them?
Part 3. Summarize and analyze the content of the Vinland sagas.
Essay Topic 2
The Vinland Sagas are part of the history of Iceland. Write an essay about Iceland.
Part 1. Describe Iceland physically - where is it and what is the nature like there?
Part 2. What role does Iceland play in the Vinland Sagas? Why are the Vinland Sagas important to Iceland?
Part 3. Cover the history of Iceland. Who discovered it? When? What has happened to Iceland since then?
Part 4. What is modern Iceland like? Who lives there? What kind of government do they have? What has happened to them recently?
Essay Topic 3
Eirik the Red and his sons explored a considerable amount of new land. Write an essay about the family that may have been the first Europeans to discover America.
Part 1. What lands were Eirik the Red and his sons the first Europeans to discover and explore?
Part 2. Each of the four of the explorers had a different motivation for their exploration. What was the motivation of each and how did they differ from one another?
Part 3. There are descriptions of Eirik, Leif, Thorvald, and Thorstein in the sagas. What were they like? Is there evidence to suggest how they get along together?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)