|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Karlsefni and his men meet the natives?
2. Where does Thorhall end up?
3. How does Freydis get left behind?
4. How does Bjarni choose who gets to go in the life boat?
5. Where does Thorstein's ship next put in to land after it leaves Eiriksfjord?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
2. Describe Thorhall and explain why he is on the expedition to Vinland.
3. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
4. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
5. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
6. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
7. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
8. Summarize the part Thorhall plays in the expedition to Vinland, including how it ends for both him and Karlsefni.
9. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
10. Explain what happens during Thorstein and Eirik's trip to Vinland, and what they do for the crew at the end of it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gudrid (Gudridur Thorbjarnardottir) is possibly one of the best documented and traveled women of her era. Do further outside research and write an essay about Gudrid.
Part 1. Who was Gudrid? Who were her family?
Part 2. What kind of person was Gudrid? How did this affect her life?
Part 3. Where did Gudrid travel during her life? How and why did she travel so extensively?
Part 4. What other major events happened during Gudrid's life and how did she handle them?
Essay Topic 2
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
Essay Topic 3
Eirik the Red and his sons explored a considerable amount of new land. Write an essay about the family that may have been the first Europeans to discover America.
Part 1. What lands were Eirik the Red and his sons the first Europeans to discover and explore?
Part 2. Each of the four of the explorers had a different motivation for their exploration. What was the motivation of each and how did they differ from one another?
Part 3. There are descriptions of Eirik, Leif, Thorvald, and Thorstein in the sagas. What were they like? Is there evidence to suggest how they get along together?
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)