|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Einar?
2. How does Freydis get left behind?
3. What does Sigrid see in her vision?
4. Where do Karsefni and the crew spend their third Winter?
5. How does Thorbjorn announce his departure to Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why does Einar pursue Gudrid in marriage?
2. What happens with the whale? Why do people refuse to eat it?
3. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
4. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
5. Describe Thorhall and explain why he is on the expedition to Vinland.
6. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
7. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
8. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
9. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
10. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters that make a brief appearance in the sagas that merit more attention, for example, Aud the Deep-Minded. Choose a minor character in the sagas and do some further research about them. If there is little information about the person you choose, then write about two different characters.
Part 1. What character or character did you choose to learn more about? Why?
Part 2. Describe the person or persons and what they did.
Part 3. Why is this significant or meaningful? What impact did they have?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about women in Viking culture.
Part 1. How did the rights of viking women compare with the rights of women in other areas of Europe?
Part 2. What traditions surrounded the processes of marriage and divorce?
Part 3. What were the roles and responsibilities of women in a marriage and society?
Essay Topic 3
What are the Oseberg and Gokstad Ships? Why are they special?
Part 1. When and where were the Oseberg and Gokstad discovered?
Part 2. Why were they part of a burial? What else do we know about those burials?
Part 3. Describe the Oseberg and Gokstad ships. How do they differ from each other? What were their uses?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)