|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thorkel prepare for Thorbjorg before her arrival?
2. Why does Thorbjorn decide to travel to Greenland with Eirik the Red?
3. What did Haki and Hekja leave to do?
4. Why is Thorbjorn not in the house during Thorbjorg's visit?
5. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
2. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
3. Summarize the part Thorhall plays in the expedition to Vinland, including how it ends for both him and Karlsefni.
4. Describe who Thorbjorg is and what her behavior is like when she arrives at Herjolfsness.
5. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
6. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
7. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
8. What happens with the whale? Why do people refuse to eat it?
9. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
10. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters that make a brief appearance in the sagas that merit more attention, for example, Aud the Deep-Minded. Choose a minor character in the sagas and do some further research about them. If there is little information about the person you choose, then write about two different characters.
Part 1. What character or character did you choose to learn more about? Why?
Part 2. Describe the person or persons and what they did.
Part 3. Why is this significant or meaningful? What impact did they have?
Essay Topic 2
What are the Icelandic Sagas?
Part 1. What are the Icelandic Sagas? When were they written and by whom?
Part 2. Why are the Icelandic Sagas important historically? What do we know from them?
Part 3. Summarize and analyze the content of the Vinland sagas.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Hebrides and the role of the Vikings in their history.
Part 1. Where are the Hebrides? What is their geology like? Give an introduction to the Hebrides.
Part 2. Why might have the Hebrides been so aptly suited to Viking settlements? Explain the safety and accessibility of the Hebrides.
Part 3. When did Vikings first arrive on the Hebrides? How long did they stay? Give examples and cite particulars.
Part 4. What evidence remains, archeological and otherwise, of the Viking occupation of the Hebrides?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)