|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Thorbjorn not in the house during Thorbjorg's visit?
2. Who is Einar?
3. What is Thorbjorn's reaction when he hears of the potential match for Gudrid?
4. What is the woman Thorbjorg by trade?
5. Who travels with Thorbjorn to Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
2. Describe who Thorbjorg is and what her behavior is like when she arrives at Herjolfsness.
3. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
4. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
5. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
6. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
7. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
8. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
9. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
10. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Oseberg and Gokstad Ships? Why are they special?
Part 1. When and where were the Oseberg and Gokstad discovered?
Part 2. Why were they part of a burial? What else do we know about those burials?
Part 3. Describe the Oseberg and Gokstad ships. How do they differ from each other? What were their uses?
Essay Topic 2
Gudrid (Gudridur Thorbjarnardottir) is possibly one of the best documented and traveled women of her era. Do further outside research and write an essay about Gudrid.
Part 1. Who was Gudrid? Who were her family?
Part 2. What kind of person was Gudrid? How did this affect her life?
Part 3. Where did Gudrid travel during her life? How and why did she travel so extensively?
Part 4. What other major events happened during Gudrid's life and how did she handle them?
Essay Topic 3
Gudrid's father, Thorbjorn Vifilsson, is the son of a slave and is a respected well admired man, but is offended with another son of a slave proposes marriage to his daughter. Research and write an essay about the practice of slavery in Viking culture.
Part 1. How was the concept of slavery for the Vikings fundamentally different than the concept for slavery was for the United States? Which other cultures shared this practice?
Part 2. Where did the Vikings get their slaves?
Part 3. What were the likely and possible futures for a slave once taken by the Vikings?
Part 4. What were the social stigmas attached to slavery or having previously been a slave?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)