|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Thorhall announce he wants to go as he hoists the sail to part company with Karlsefni?
2. What trouble is there with with Sigrid's corpse?
3. What makes Karlsefni decide to leave Vinland?
4. What do Karlsefni and his natives do with the natives the second time they get visited?
5. How does Freydis get left behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
2. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
3. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
4. How does Freydis drive away the natives giving chase?
5. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
6. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
7. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
8. How does Karlsefni's mother feel about Gudrid when she meets her and how does that change over time?
9. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
10. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gudrid's father, Thorbjorn Vifilsson, is the son of a slave and is a respected well admired man, but is offended with another son of a slave proposes marriage to his daughter. Research and write an essay about the practice of slavery in Viking culture.
Part 1. How was the concept of slavery for the Vikings fundamentally different than the concept for slavery was for the United States? Which other cultures shared this practice?
Part 2. Where did the Vikings get their slaves?
Part 3. What were the likely and possible futures for a slave once taken by the Vikings?
Part 4. What were the social stigmas attached to slavery or having previously been a slave?
Essay Topic 2
The Vinland Sagas are about the Vikings. Write an essay about Vikings.
Part 1. Who were the Vikings? When and where did they live?
Part 2. What were the Vikings famous and feared for? What were they like as a people and how did they survive? What did they accomplish?
Part 3.What records do we have about the Vikings? Discuss both the sagas and the archeological record.
Part 4. How did the Vikings leave their mark on the world?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Hebrides and the role of the Vikings in their history.
Part 1. Where are the Hebrides? What is their geology like? Give an introduction to the Hebrides.
Part 2. Why might have the Hebrides been so aptly suited to Viking settlements? Explain the safety and accessibility of the Hebrides.
Part 3. When did Vikings first arrive on the Hebrides? How long did they stay? Give examples and cite particulars.
Part 4. What evidence remains, archeological and otherwise, of the Viking occupation of the Hebrides?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)