|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on the trip to Greenland?
2. What does Thorgunna send to Leif in Greenland?
3. What first attracts Einar to Gudrid?
4. What is Thorbjorn's reaction when he hears of the potential match for Gudrid?
5. What dispute arises between Thorhall and Karlsefni?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
2. Explain what happens during Thorstein and Eirik's trip to Vinland, and what they do for the crew at the end of it.
3. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
4. How does Freydis drive away the natives giving chase?
5. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
6. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
7. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
8. Summarize the part Thorhall plays in the expedition to Vinland, including how it ends for both him and Karlsefni.
9. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
10. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eirik the Red is sentenced to outlawry by the Thorsness Assembly. Write an essay about the concept of outlawry.
Part 1. What does the legal sentence of outlawry mean?
Part 2. What places practiced the sentence of outlawry? When did they stop?
Part 3. What are the good and bad consequences of the practice of outlawry? Why do you think it is no longer practiced?
Essay Topic 2
Several times in the sagas we see a prophecy delivered and taken seriously. Write an essay about the Viking tradition of prophecy.
Part 1. Were the Vikings, in general, a superstitious people? Give examples. What, other than prophecies, did they believe in?
Part 2. How seriously did the Vikings take prophecies?
Part 3. What were some of the common ways for Vikings to receive prophecies?
Part 4. What evidence of prophecies is there in the Vinland Sagas?
Essay Topic 3
Do some outside research on the mystical creature referred to as a uniped, and write an essay about it.
Part 1. What is a uniped?
Part 2. Other than the Vinland Sagas, where are unipeds referred to them?
Part 3. What lore surrounds unipeds?
Part 4. Do you have an explanation about what unipeds might be? What other theories are out there about what this and other unipeds might be?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)