|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
2. How many people could fit in the small boat they had?
3. Who speaks to Bjarni when Bjarni gets on the life boat?
4. How does Bjarni choose who gets to go in the life boat?
5. How do the natives come the second time they visit Karsefni and his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the whale? Why do people refuse to eat it?
2. Explain what happens during Thorstein and Eirik's trip to Vinland, and what they do for the crew at the end of it.
3. How does Karlsefni's mother feel about Gudrid when she meets her and how does that change over time?
4. Explain Sigrid's vision, including where she was when she had it and the three individuals in her vision she identifies.
5. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
6. Explain why the small boat on Bjarni's ship would not sink while the large one was about to.
7. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
8. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
9. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
10. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eirik the Red is sentenced to outlawry by the Thorsness Assembly. Write an essay about the concept of outlawry.
Part 1. What does the legal sentence of outlawry mean?
Part 2. What places practiced the sentence of outlawry? When did they stop?
Part 3. What are the good and bad consequences of the practice of outlawry? Why do you think it is no longer practiced?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about many popular misconceptions about Vikings.
Part 1. What is the popular image of a Viking?
Part 2. What parts of the popular image of a Viking are wrong?
Part 3. Provide explanations or evidence that suggests that these popular misconceptions are not historical.
Part 4. What might historical Vikings have been like instead?
Essay Topic 3
Gudrid's father, Thorbjorn Vifilsson, is the son of a slave and is a respected well admired man, but is offended with another son of a slave proposes marriage to his daughter. Research and write an essay about the practice of slavery in Viking culture.
Part 1. How was the concept of slavery for the Vikings fundamentally different than the concept for slavery was for the United States? Which other cultures shared this practice?
Part 2. Where did the Vikings get their slaves?
Part 3. What were the likely and possible futures for a slave once taken by the Vikings?
Part 4. What were the social stigmas attached to slavery or having previously been a slave?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)