|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Haki and Hekja come back with?
2. Where do Karsefni and the crew spend their third Winter?
3. How many people could fit in the small boat they had?
4. What do Karlsefni and his men find when they stop for a fortnight when they sail south?
5. Who was Thorhall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
2. How and why does Einar pursue Gudrid in marriage?
3. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
4. Summarize the part Thorhall plays in the expedition to Vinland, including how it ends for both him and Karlsefni.
5. Describe who Thorbjorg is and what her behavior is like when she arrives at Herjolfsness.
6. How does Freydis drive away the natives giving chase?
7. Describe Thorhall and explain why he is on the expedition to Vinland.
8. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
9. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
10. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Erik the Red.
Part 1. Who was Erik the Red? When and where did he live and die?
Part 2. How do we know about Erick the Red? What sources do we have regarding him?
Part 3. Write a brief biography about Erik the Red. Include what he did throughout his life and his reasons for doing those things. Who were his children?
Essay Topic 2
What are the Icelandic Sagas?
Part 1. What are the Icelandic Sagas? When were they written and by whom?
Part 2. Why are the Icelandic Sagas important historically? What do we know from them?
Part 3. Summarize and analyze the content of the Vinland sagas.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about women in Viking culture.
Part 1. How did the rights of viking women compare with the rights of women in other areas of Europe?
Part 2. What traditions surrounded the processes of marriage and divorce?
Part 3. What were the roles and responsibilities of women in a marriage and society?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)