|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Bjarni Grimolfsson's ship to sink?
2. What does Gudrid do for Thorbjorg?
3. Why does Leif travel to the Hebrides?
4. How does Thorbjorn announce his departure to Greenland?
5. What do Karlsefni and his men first see on the opposite side of a clearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
2. How does Freydis drive away the natives giving chase?
3. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
4. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
5. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
6. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
7. How and why does Einar pursue Gudrid in marriage?
8. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
9. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
10. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Erik the Red.
Part 1. Who was Erik the Red? When and where did he live and die?
Part 2. How do we know about Erick the Red? What sources do we have regarding him?
Part 3. Write a brief biography about Erik the Red. Include what he did throughout his life and his reasons for doing those things. Who were his children?
Essay Topic 2
Eirik the Red is sentenced to outlawry by the Thorsness Assembly. Write an essay about the concept of outlawry.
Part 1. What does the legal sentence of outlawry mean?
Part 2. What places practiced the sentence of outlawry? When did they stop?
Part 3. What are the good and bad consequences of the practice of outlawry? Why do you think it is no longer practiced?
Essay Topic 3
Gudrid's father, Thorbjorn Vifilsson, is the son of a slave and is a respected well admired man, but is offended with another son of a slave proposes marriage to his daughter. Research and write an essay about the practice of slavery in Viking culture.
Part 1. How was the concept of slavery for the Vikings fundamentally different than the concept for slavery was for the United States? Which other cultures shared this practice?
Part 2. Where did the Vikings get their slaves?
Part 3. What were the likely and possible futures for a slave once taken by the Vikings?
Part 4. What were the social stigmas attached to slavery or having previously been a slave?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)