|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Haki and Hekja leave to do?
2. When the natives return for a third time, what happens?
3. What kills many people while Thorstein and Gudrid are in Lysufjord?
4. Which of the following best characterizes Gudrid's father?
5. Who does Karsefni and his crew pick up on their way home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
2. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
3. How do the two native boys describe the land that is across from their own land? Where might this be?
4. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
5. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
6. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
7. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
8. How and why does Einar pursue Gudrid in marriage?
9. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
10. What happens with the whale? Why do people refuse to eat it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
Essay Topic 2
The Vinland Sagas are about the Vikings. Write an essay about Vikings.
Part 1. Who were the Vikings? When and where did they live?
Part 2. What were the Vikings famous and feared for? What were they like as a people and how did they survive? What did they accomplish?
Part 3.What records do we have about the Vikings? Discuss both the sagas and the archeological record.
Part 4. How did the Vikings leave their mark on the world?
Essay Topic 3
Eirik the Red and his sons explored a considerable amount of new land. Write an essay about the family that may have been the first Europeans to discover America.
Part 1. What lands were Eirik the Red and his sons the first Europeans to discover and explore?
Part 2. Each of the four of the explorers had a different motivation for their exploration. What was the motivation of each and how did they differ from one another?
Part 3. There are descriptions of Eirik, Leif, Thorvald, and Thorstein in the sagas. What were they like? Is there evidence to suggest how they get along together?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)