|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eirik get depressed as Christmas draws near when he has guests staying at Brattahlid?
2. What happens on the trip to Greenland?
3. What do Karsefni and his crew learn about the natives?
4. When do Karlsefni and his men see the natives again?
5. What does Thorbjorg tell Gudrid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
2. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
3. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
4. How does Freydis drive away the natives giving chase?
5. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
6. Describe Thorhall and explain why he is on the expedition to Vinland.
7. Explain Sigrid's vision, including where she was when she had it and the three individuals in her vision she identifies.
8. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
9. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
10. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do some outside research on the mystical creature referred to as a uniped, and write an essay about it.
Part 1. What is a uniped?
Part 2. Other than the Vinland Sagas, where are unipeds referred to them?
Part 3. What lore surrounds unipeds?
Part 4. Do you have an explanation about what unipeds might be? What other theories are out there about what this and other unipeds might be?
Essay Topic 2
What are the Oseberg and Gokstad Ships? Why are they special?
Part 1. When and where were the Oseberg and Gokstad discovered?
Part 2. Why were they part of a burial? What else do we know about those burials?
Part 3. Describe the Oseberg and Gokstad ships. How do they differ from each other? What were their uses?
Essay Topic 3
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)