|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thorbjorg tell Gudrid?
2. What do Karlsefni and his men see when they are stopped at the lake?
3. What does the expedition see as they approach Vinland?
4. Where do Karsefni and the crew spend their third Winter?
5. What was the general division of people between the two ships that travel with Karlsefni to Vinland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
2. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
3. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
4. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
5. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
6. How do the two native boys describe the land that is across from their own land? Where might this be?
7. Explain Sigrid's vision, including where she was when she had it and the three individuals in her vision she identifies.
8. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
9. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
10. How does Karlsefni's mother feel about Gudrid when she meets her and how does that change over time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Vinland Sagas are about the Vikings. Write an essay about Vikings.
Part 1. Who were the Vikings? When and where did they live?
Part 2. What were the Vikings famous and feared for? What were they like as a people and how did they survive? What did they accomplish?
Part 3.What records do we have about the Vikings? Discuss both the sagas and the archeological record.
Part 4. How did the Vikings leave their mark on the world?
Essay Topic 2
Do some outside research on the mystical creature referred to as a uniped, and write an essay about it.
Part 1. What is a uniped?
Part 2. Other than the Vinland Sagas, where are unipeds referred to them?
Part 3. What lore surrounds unipeds?
Part 4. Do you have an explanation about what unipeds might be? What other theories are out there about what this and other unipeds might be?
Essay Topic 3
The historical novel "The Thrall's Tale" takes place during the sagas. Read the novel and then analyze the novel's connections to the sagas.
Part 1. Introduce and summarize the novel.
Part 2. During which saga does the action of the novel take place? What events happen in both?
Part 3. Which characters from the novel are also characters from the sagas? Are they consistent with their portrayal in the sagas? Does the fiction created surrounding the characters seem likely or plausible? Why or why not?
Part 4. According to you, how well did the author of "The Thrall's Tale" weave her fiction into the sagas? What did she do well and what could she have done better?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)