|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general division of people between the two ships that travel with Karlsefni to Vinland?
2. How does Freydis get left behind?
3. Where does Thorhall announce he wants to go as he hoists the sail to part company with Karlsefni?
4. What do Haki and Hekja come back with?
5. When the natives return for a third time, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
2. Explain what happens during Thorstein and Eirik's trip to Vinland, and what they do for the crew at the end of it.
3. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
4. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
5. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
6. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
7. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
8. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
9. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
10. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gudrid (Gudridur Thorbjarnardottir) is possibly one of the best documented and traveled women of her era. Do further outside research and write an essay about Gudrid.
Part 1. Who was Gudrid? Who were her family?
Part 2. What kind of person was Gudrid? How did this affect her life?
Part 3. Where did Gudrid travel during her life? How and why did she travel so extensively?
Part 4. What other major events happened during Gudrid's life and how did she handle them?
Essay Topic 2
Eirik the Red is sentenced to outlawry by the Thorsness Assembly. Write an essay about the concept of outlawry.
Part 1. What does the legal sentence of outlawry mean?
Part 2. What places practiced the sentence of outlawry? When did they stop?
Part 3. What are the good and bad consequences of the practice of outlawry? Why do you think it is no longer practiced?
Essay Topic 3
The historical novel "The Thrall's Tale" takes place during the sagas. Read the novel and then analyze the novel's connections to the sagas.
Part 1. Introduce and summarize the novel.
Part 2. During which saga does the action of the novel take place? What events happen in both?
Part 3. Which characters from the novel are also characters from the sagas? Are they consistent with their portrayal in the sagas? Does the fiction created surrounding the characters seem likely or plausible? Why or why not?
Part 4. According to you, how well did the author of "The Thrall's Tale" weave her fiction into the sagas? What did she do well and what could she have done better?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)