|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens with the uniped after Thorvald dies?
2. What first attracts Einar to Gudrid?
3. What do the traders offer Eirik the Red when they arrive at Brattahlid?
4. What does Leif find on his way home from Vinland?
5. Where does Thorhall announce he wants to go as he hoists the sail to part company with Karlsefni?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Leif's parents, Eirik the Red and Thjodhild, take to Christianity?
2. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
3. Describe who Thorbjorg is and what her behavior is like when she arrives at Herjolfsness.
4. How does Freydis drive away the natives giving chase?
5. Explain the interchange between Bjarni and the young Icelander. What are the circumstances and what is the result?
6. Summarize the part Thorhall plays in the expedition to Vinland, including how it ends for both him and Karlsefni.
7. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
8. Describe Thorhall and explain why he is on the expedition to Vinland.
9. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
10. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the Hebrides and the role of the Vikings in their history.
Part 1. Where are the Hebrides? What is their geology like? Give an introduction to the Hebrides.
Part 2. Why might have the Hebrides been so aptly suited to Viking settlements? Explain the safety and accessibility of the Hebrides.
Part 3. When did Vikings first arrive on the Hebrides? How long did they stay? Give examples and cite particulars.
Part 4. What evidence remains, archeological and otherwise, of the Viking occupation of the Hebrides?
Essay Topic 2
The Vinland Sagas are part of the history of Iceland. Write an essay about Iceland.
Part 1. Describe Iceland physically - where is it and what is the nature like there?
Part 2. What role does Iceland play in the Vinland Sagas? Why are the Vinland Sagas important to Iceland?
Part 3. Cover the history of Iceland. Who discovered it? When? What has happened to Iceland since then?
Part 4. What is modern Iceland like? Who lives there? What kind of government do they have? What has happened to them recently?
Essay Topic 3
Do some outside research on the mystical creature referred to as a uniped, and write an essay about it.
Part 1. What is a uniped?
Part 2. Other than the Vinland Sagas, where are unipeds referred to them?
Part 3. What lore surrounds unipeds?
Part 4. Do you have an explanation about what unipeds might be? What other theories are out there about what this and other unipeds might be?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)