|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
2. What is different about the trip Karlsefni makes to Vinland from the previous ones?
3. In what way does Freydis first break her word?
4. Which of the following best characterizes the natural resources and weather on the land that Leif and his men explore?
5. What happens to the brothers and their men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
2. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
3. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
4. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
5. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
6. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
7. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
8. What does the saga of Gudrid's Ancestry tell us about Aud's faith and what she does to practice it?
9. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
10. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Oseberg and Gokstad Ships? Why are they special?
Part 1. When and where were the Oseberg and Gokstad discovered?
Part 2. Why were they part of a burial? What else do we know about those burials?
Part 3. Describe the Oseberg and Gokstad ships. How do they differ from each other? What were their uses?
Essay Topic 2
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
Essay Topic 3
Gudrid's father, Thorbjorn Vifilsson, is the son of a slave and is a respected well admired man, but is offended with another son of a slave proposes marriage to his daughter. Research and write an essay about the practice of slavery in Viking culture.
Part 1. How was the concept of slavery for the Vikings fundamentally different than the concept for slavery was for the United States? Which other cultures shared this practice?
Part 2. Where did the Vikings get their slaves?
Part 3. What were the likely and possible futures for a slave once taken by the Vikings?
Part 4. What were the social stigmas attached to slavery or having previously been a slave?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)