|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thorvald die of?
2. Why do Eirik and Thorvald leave Norway?
3. What does Tyrkir find?
4. What does Thorvald decide they should do when spring arrives?
5. Which of the following best describes the sentiment between Freydis and the brothers in Vinland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
2. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
3. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
4. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
5. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
6. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
7. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
8. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
9. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
10. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Oseberg and Gokstad Ships? Why are they special?
Part 1. When and where were the Oseberg and Gokstad discovered?
Part 2. Why were they part of a burial? What else do we know about those burials?
Part 3. Describe the Oseberg and Gokstad ships. How do they differ from each other? What were their uses?
Essay Topic 2
Eirik the Red is sentenced to outlawry by the Thorsness Assembly. Write an essay about the concept of outlawry.
Part 1. What does the legal sentence of outlawry mean?
Part 2. What places practiced the sentence of outlawry? When did they stop?
Part 3. What are the good and bad consequences of the practice of outlawry? Why do you think it is no longer practiced?
Essay Topic 3
Gudrid's father, Thorbjorn Vifilsson, is the son of a slave and is a respected well admired man, but is offended with another son of a slave proposes marriage to his daughter. Research and write an essay about the practice of slavery in Viking culture.
Part 1. How was the concept of slavery for the Vikings fundamentally different than the concept for slavery was for the United States? Which other cultures shared this practice?
Part 2. Where did the Vikings get their slaves?
Part 3. What were the likely and possible futures for a slave once taken by the Vikings?
Part 4. What were the social stigmas attached to slavery or having previously been a slave?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)