|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Freydis first break her word?
2. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
3. What do the settlers end up trading to the natives?
4. According to the prophecy, where will Gudrid go on pilgrimage?
5. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
2. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
3. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
4. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
5. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
6. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
7. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
8. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
9. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
10. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Vinland Sagas are about the Vikings. Write an essay about Vikings.
Part 1. Who were the Vikings? When and where did they live?
Part 2. What were the Vikings famous and feared for? What were they like as a people and how did they survive? What did they accomplish?
Part 3.What records do we have about the Vikings? Discuss both the sagas and the archeological record.
Part 4. How did the Vikings leave their mark on the world?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about women in Viking culture.
Part 1. How did the rights of viking women compare with the rights of women in other areas of Europe?
Part 2. What traditions surrounded the processes of marriage and divorce?
Part 3. What were the roles and responsibilities of women in a marriage and society?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Vikings compare as shipbuilders, seamen and explorers to their contemporaries?
Part 1. As explorers and sea voyagers, how did the vikings compare to others of their time?
Part 2. What kind of ships did the Vikings use? What were the advantages and disadvantages of these ships? How were they made?
Part 3. What influence did the Viking ships have on other nautical customs of the time? What legacy have they left behind?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)