Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
2. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
3. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
4. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
5. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
2. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
3. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
4. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
5. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
6. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
7. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
8. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
9. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
10. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
Essay Topic 1
Gudrid (Gudridur Thorbjarnardottir) is possibly one of the best documented and traveled women of her era. Do further outside research and write an essay about Gudrid.
Part 1. Who was Gudrid? Who were her family?
Part 2. What kind of person was Gudrid? How did this affect her life?
Part 3. Where did Gudrid travel during her life? How and why did she travel so extensively?
Part 4. What other major events happened during Gudrid's life and how did she handle them?
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters that make a brief appearance in the sagas that merit more attention, for example, Aud the Deep-Minded. Choose a minor character in the sagas and do some further research about them. If there is little information about the person you choose, then write about two different characters.
Part 1. What character or character did you choose to learn more about? Why?
Part 2. Describe the person or persons and what they did.
Part 3. Why is this significant or meaningful? What impact did they have?
Essay Topic 3
Eirik the Red is sentenced to outlawry by the Thorsness Assembly. Write an essay about the concept of outlawry.
Part 1. What does the legal sentence of outlawry mean?
Part 2. What places practiced the sentence of outlawry? When did they stop?
Part 3. What are the good and bad consequences of the practice of outlawry? Why do you think it is no longer practiced?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)