Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
2. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
3. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
4. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
5. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
2. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
3. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
4. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
5. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
6. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
7. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
8. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
9. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
10. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the sagas we see a prophecy delivered and taken seriously. Write an essay about the Viking tradition of prophecy.
Part 1. Were the Vikings, in general, a superstitious people? Give examples. What, other than prophecies, did they believe in?
Part 2. How seriously did the Vikings take prophecies?
Part 3. What were some of the common ways for Vikings to receive prophecies?
Part 4. What evidence of prophecies is there in the Vinland Sagas?
Essay Topic 2
The Vinland Sagas are part of the history of Iceland. Write an essay about Iceland.
Part 1. Describe Iceland physically - where is it and what is the nature like there?
Part 2. What role does Iceland play in the Vinland Sagas? Why are the Vinland Sagas important to Iceland?
Part 3. Cover the history of Iceland. Who discovered it? When? What has happened to Iceland since then?
Part 4. What is modern Iceland like? Who lives there? What kind of government do they have? What has happened to them recently?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Vikings compare as shipbuilders, seamen and explorers to their contemporaries?
Part 1. As explorers and sea voyagers, how did the vikings compare to others of their time?
Part 2. What kind of ships did the Vikings use? What were the advantages and disadvantages of these ships? How were they made?
Part 3. What influence did the Viking ships have on other nautical customs of the time? What legacy have they left behind?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)