|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bjarni travel to see "some time later" after sighting the land to the west?
2. What does Tyrkir find?
3. Who is Thorvald?
4. Who is Leif?
5. What happens to Tyrkir?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
2. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
3. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
4. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
5. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
6. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
7. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
8. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
9. What does the saga of Gudrid's Ancestry tell us about Aud's faith and what she does to practice it?
10. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
Essay Topic 1
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
Essay Topic 2
What are the Oseberg and Gokstad Ships? Why are they special?
Part 1. When and where were the Oseberg and Gokstad discovered?
Part 2. Why were they part of a burial? What else do we know about those burials?
Part 3. Describe the Oseberg and Gokstad ships. How do they differ from each other? What were their uses?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the runic alphabets.
Part 1. When were the runic alphabets used?
Part 2. What different runic alphabets are there? How do they differ from each other?
Part 3. What runic alphabet did the Vikings use? Give particulars of this alphabet.
Part 4. Give an example of how to translate something into runes.
This section contains 2,368 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)