Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
2. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
3. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
4. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
5. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
2. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
3. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
4. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
5. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
6. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
7. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
8. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
9. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
10. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the sagas we see a prophecy delivered and taken seriously. Write an essay about the Viking tradition of prophecy.
Part 1. Were the Vikings, in general, a superstitious people? Give examples. What, other than prophecies, did they believe in?
Part 2. How seriously did the Vikings take prophecies?
Part 3. What were some of the common ways for Vikings to receive prophecies?
Part 4. What evidence of prophecies is there in the Vinland Sagas?
Essay Topic 2
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
Essay Topic 3
What are the Oseberg and Gokstad Ships? Why are they special?
Part 1. When and where were the Oseberg and Gokstad discovered?
Part 2. Why were they part of a burial? What else do we know about those burials?
Part 3. Describe the Oseberg and Gokstad ships. How do they differ from each other? What were their uses?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)