|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leif do when he hears rumors about what happened in Vinland.
2. What arrangement does Freydis have with the brothers Helgi and Finnbogi?
3. What is Aud's full title?
4. Why does Bjarni worry about the trip to Greenland?
5. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
2. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
3. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
4. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
5. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
6. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
7. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
8. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
9. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
10. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the sagas we see a prophecy delivered and taken seriously. Write an essay about the Viking tradition of prophecy.
Part 1. Were the Vikings, in general, a superstitious people? Give examples. What, other than prophecies, did they believe in?
Part 2. How seriously did the Vikings take prophecies?
Part 3. What were some of the common ways for Vikings to receive prophecies?
Part 4. What evidence of prophecies is there in the Vinland Sagas?
Essay Topic 2
What are the Icelandic Sagas?
Part 1. What are the Icelandic Sagas? When were they written and by whom?
Part 2. Why are the Icelandic Sagas important historically? What do we know from them?
Part 3. Summarize and analyze the content of the Vinland sagas.
Essay Topic 3
Eirik the Red is sentenced to outlawry by the Thorsness Assembly. Write an essay about the concept of outlawry.
Part 1. What does the legal sentence of outlawry mean?
Part 2. What places practiced the sentence of outlawry? When did they stop?
Part 3. What are the good and bad consequences of the practice of outlawry? Why do you think it is no longer practiced?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)