|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Karlsefni?
2. What do the settlers end up trading to the natives?
3. What does Thorvald decide they should do when spring arrives?
4. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
5. After her time in Orkney, where does Aud go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
2. What does the saga of Gudrid's Ancestry tell us about Aud's faith and what she does to practice it?
3. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
4. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
5. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
6. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
7. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
8. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
9. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
10. Describe the woman that Gudrid sees and the discourse between them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Norway
Part 1. Describe the location and geography of Norway.
Part 2. What is Norway currently like? Describe what it is today.
Part 3. Describe Norway during the Viking era. Who were some prominent people of the time and what did they do?
Part 4. What remnants of the Vikings still exist in Norway?
Essay Topic 2
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Hebrides and the role of the Vikings in their history.
Part 1. Where are the Hebrides? What is their geology like? Give an introduction to the Hebrides.
Part 2. Why might have the Hebrides been so aptly suited to Viking settlements? Explain the safety and accessibility of the Hebrides.
Part 3. When did Vikings first arrive on the Hebrides? How long did they stay? Give examples and cite particulars.
Part 4. What evidence remains, archeological and otherwise, of the Viking occupation of the Hebrides?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)