|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eirik name the land he discovered "Greenland"?
2. Where does the search party find Tyrkir?
3. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
4. In what way does Freydis first break her word?
5. How many men and ships return to Vinland with Thorvald?
Short Essay Questions
1. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
2. How does Karlsefni's mother feel about Gudrid when she meets her and how does that change over time?
3. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
4. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
5. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
6. What does the corpse of Thorstein Eriksson say about the dead? What do the people do after hearing it?
7. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
8. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
9. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
10. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Vikings compare as shipbuilders, seamen and explorers to their contemporaries?
Part 1. As explorers and sea voyagers, how did the vikings compare to others of their time?
Part 2. What kind of ships did the Vikings use? What were the advantages and disadvantages of these ships? How were they made?
Part 3. What influence did the Viking ships have on other nautical customs of the time? What legacy have they left behind?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about many popular misconceptions about Vikings.
Part 1. What is the popular image of a Viking?
Part 2. What parts of the popular image of a Viking are wrong?
Part 3. Provide explanations or evidence that suggests that these popular misconceptions are not historical.
Part 4. What might historical Vikings have been like instead?
Essay Topic 3
Eirik the Red and his sons explored a considerable amount of new land. Write an essay about the family that may have been the first Europeans to discover America.
Part 1. What lands were Eirik the Red and his sons the first Europeans to discover and explore?
Part 2. Each of the four of the explorers had a different motivation for their exploration. What was the motivation of each and how did they differ from one another?
Part 3. There are descriptions of Eirik, Leif, Thorvald, and Thorstein in the sagas. What were they like? Is there evidence to suggest how they get along together?
This section contains 2,454 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)