|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
2. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
3. Which of the following most accurately describes the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid?
4. Why does Bjarni worry about the trip to Greenland?
5. What does Aud do to the men that she brings to Iceland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
2. Describe the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid.
3. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
4. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
5. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
6. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
7. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
8. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
9. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
10. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Erik the Red.
Part 1. Who was Erik the Red? When and where did he live and die?
Part 2. How do we know about Erick the Red? What sources do we have regarding him?
Part 3. Write a brief biography about Erik the Red. Include what he did throughout his life and his reasons for doing those things. Who were his children?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Norway
Part 1. Describe the location and geography of Norway.
Part 2. What is Norway currently like? Describe what it is today.
Part 3. Describe Norway during the Viking era. Who were some prominent people of the time and what did they do?
Part 4. What remnants of the Vikings still exist in Norway?
Essay Topic 3
The historical novel "The Thrall's Tale" takes place during the sagas. Read the novel and then analyze the novel's connections to the sagas.
Part 1. Introduce and summarize the novel.
Part 2. During which saga does the action of the novel take place? What events happen in both?
Part 3. Which characters from the novel are also characters from the sagas? Are they consistent with their portrayal in the sagas? Does the fiction created surrounding the characters seem likely or plausible? Why or why not?
Part 4. According to you, how well did the author of "The Thrall's Tale" weave her fiction into the sagas? What did she do well and what could she have done better?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)