|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
2. Who are the parents of Thorstein the Red?
3. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
4. Who is Thorvald?
5. What men come with Aud to Iceland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
2. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
3. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
4. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
5. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
6. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
7. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
8. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
9. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
10. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters that make a brief appearance in the sagas that merit more attention, for example, Aud the Deep-Minded. Choose a minor character in the sagas and do some further research about them. If there is little information about the person you choose, then write about two different characters.
Part 1. What character or character did you choose to learn more about? Why?
Part 2. Describe the person or persons and what they did.
Part 3. Why is this significant or meaningful? What impact did they have?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about many popular misconceptions about Vikings.
Part 1. What is the popular image of a Viking?
Part 2. What parts of the popular image of a Viking are wrong?
Part 3. Provide explanations or evidence that suggests that these popular misconceptions are not historical.
Part 4. What might historical Vikings have been like instead?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about women in Viking culture.
Part 1. How did the rights of viking women compare with the rights of women in other areas of Europe?
Part 2. What traditions surrounded the processes of marriage and divorce?
Part 3. What were the roles and responsibilities of women in a marriage and society?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)