|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
2. Where do Thorstein and his men first land on their trip?
3. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
4. What arrangement does Freydis have with the brothers Helgi and Finnbogi?
5. Who is Leif?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
2. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
3. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
4. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
5. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
6. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
7. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
8. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
9. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
10. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Icelandic Sagas?
Part 1. What are the Icelandic Sagas? When were they written and by whom?
Part 2. Why are the Icelandic Sagas important historically? What do we know from them?
Part 3. Summarize and analyze the content of the Vinland sagas.
Essay Topic 2
The Vinland Sagas are part of the history of Iceland. Write an essay about Iceland.
Part 1. Describe Iceland physically - where is it and what is the nature like there?
Part 2. What role does Iceland play in the Vinland Sagas? Why are the Vinland Sagas important to Iceland?
Part 3. Cover the history of Iceland. Who discovered it? When? What has happened to Iceland since then?
Part 4. What is modern Iceland like? Who lives there? What kind of government do they have? What has happened to them recently?
Essay Topic 3
The historical novel "The Thrall's Tale" takes place during the sagas. Read the novel and then analyze the novel's connections to the sagas.
Part 1. Introduce and summarize the novel.
Part 2. During which saga does the action of the novel take place? What events happen in both?
Part 3. Which characters from the novel are also characters from the sagas? Are they consistent with their portrayal in the sagas? Does the fiction created surrounding the characters seem likely or plausible? Why or why not?
Part 4. According to you, how well did the author of "The Thrall's Tale" weave her fiction into the sagas? What did she do well and what could she have done better?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)