|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thorvald die of?
2. After her time in Orkney, where does Aud go?
3. What men come with Aud to Iceland?
4. Who is Freydis?
5. Who gives the prophecy about Gudrid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the saga of Gudrid's Ancestry tell us about Aud's faith and what she does to practice it?
2. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
3. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
4. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
5. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
6. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
7. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
8. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
9. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
10. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters that make a brief appearance in the sagas that merit more attention, for example, Aud the Deep-Minded. Choose a minor character in the sagas and do some further research about them. If there is little information about the person you choose, then write about two different characters.
Part 1. What character or character did you choose to learn more about? Why?
Part 2. Describe the person or persons and what they did.
Part 3. Why is this significant or meaningful? What impact did they have?
Essay Topic 2
The historical novel "The Thrall's Tale" takes place during the sagas. Read the novel and then analyze the novel's connections to the sagas.
Part 1. Introduce and summarize the novel.
Part 2. During which saga does the action of the novel take place? What events happen in both?
Part 3. Which characters from the novel are also characters from the sagas? Are they consistent with their portrayal in the sagas? Does the fiction created surrounding the characters seem likely or plausible? Why or why not?
Part 4. According to you, how well did the author of "The Thrall's Tale" weave her fiction into the sagas? What did she do well and what could she have done better?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the runic alphabets.
Part 1. When were the runic alphabets used?
Part 2. What different runic alphabets are there? How do they differ from each other?
Part 3. What runic alphabet did the Vikings use? Give particulars of this alphabet.
Part 4. Give an example of how to translate something into runes.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)