|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eirik name the land he discovered "Greenland"?
2. Who is Thorvald?
3. Why does Bjarni worry about the trip to Greenland?
4. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
5. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
2. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
3. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
4. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
5. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
6. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
7. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
8. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
9. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
10. Describe the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do some outside research on the mystical creature referred to as a uniped, and write an essay about it.
Part 1. What is a uniped?
Part 2. Other than the Vinland Sagas, where are unipeds referred to them?
Part 3. What lore surrounds unipeds?
Part 4. Do you have an explanation about what unipeds might be? What other theories are out there about what this and other unipeds might be?
Essay Topic 2
What are the Icelandic Sagas?
Part 1. What are the Icelandic Sagas? When were they written and by whom?
Part 2. Why are the Icelandic Sagas important historically? What do we know from them?
Part 3. Summarize and analyze the content of the Vinland sagas.
Essay Topic 3
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)