|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
2. How does Bjarni spend the rest of his days?
3. How is Leif Eiriksson described?
4. What does Leif do when he hears rumors about what happened in Vinland.
5. What is the general consensus about Freydis after her trip to Vinland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
2. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
3. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
4. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
5. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
6. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
7. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
8. Describe the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid.
9. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
10. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Icelandic Sagas?
Part 1. What are the Icelandic Sagas? When were they written and by whom?
Part 2. Why are the Icelandic Sagas important historically? What do we know from them?
Part 3. Summarize and analyze the content of the Vinland sagas.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Norway
Part 1. Describe the location and geography of Norway.
Part 2. What is Norway currently like? Describe what it is today.
Part 3. Describe Norway during the Viking era. Who were some prominent people of the time and what did they do?
Part 4. What remnants of the Vikings still exist in Norway?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Hebrides and the role of the Vikings in their history.
Part 1. Where are the Hebrides? What is their geology like? Give an introduction to the Hebrides.
Part 2. Why might have the Hebrides been so aptly suited to Viking settlements? Explain the safety and accessibility of the Hebrides.
Part 3. When did Vikings first arrive on the Hebrides? How long did they stay? Give examples and cite particulars.
Part 4. What evidence remains, archeological and otherwise, of the Viking occupation of the Hebrides?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)