|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
2. Why do the men wish to stop at this land?
3. Why does Eirik name the land he discovered "Greenland"?
4. What does Leif do when he hears rumors about what happened in Vinland.
5. Where do Thorvald and his men moor the boat and wander on shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
2. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
3. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
4. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
5. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
6. What does the saga of Gudrid's Ancestry tell us about Aud's faith and what she does to practice it?
7. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
8. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
9. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
10. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gudrid's father, Thorbjorn Vifilsson, is the son of a slave and is a respected well admired man, but is offended with another son of a slave proposes marriage to his daughter. Research and write an essay about the practice of slavery in Viking culture.
Part 1. How was the concept of slavery for the Vikings fundamentally different than the concept for slavery was for the United States? Which other cultures shared this practice?
Part 2. Where did the Vikings get their slaves?
Part 3. What were the likely and possible futures for a slave once taken by the Vikings?
Part 4. What were the social stigmas attached to slavery or having previously been a slave?
Essay Topic 2
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Hebrides and the role of the Vikings in their history.
Part 1. Where are the Hebrides? What is their geology like? Give an introduction to the Hebrides.
Part 2. Why might have the Hebrides been so aptly suited to Viking settlements? Explain the safety and accessibility of the Hebrides.
Part 3. When did Vikings first arrive on the Hebrides? How long did they stay? Give examples and cite particulars.
Part 4. What evidence remains, archeological and otherwise, of the Viking occupation of the Hebrides?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)