|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the search party find Tyrkir?
2. What do Eirik's slaves do that caused problems?
3. Who is Karlsefni?
4. How do Thorstein and his men spend the summer?
5. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
2. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
3. Describe the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid.
4. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
5. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
6. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
7. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
8. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
9. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
10. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
Essay Topic 2
How did the Vikings compare as shipbuilders, seamen and explorers to their contemporaries?
Part 1. As explorers and sea voyagers, how did the vikings compare to others of their time?
Part 2. What kind of ships did the Vikings use? What were the advantages and disadvantages of these ships? How were they made?
Part 3. What influence did the Viking ships have on other nautical customs of the time? What legacy have they left behind?
Essay Topic 3
Do some outside research on the mystical creature referred to as a uniped, and write an essay about it.
Part 1. What is a uniped?
Part 2. Other than the Vinland Sagas, where are unipeds referred to them?
Part 3. What lore surrounds unipeds?
Part 4. Do you have an explanation about what unipeds might be? What other theories are out there about what this and other unipeds might be?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)