Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
2. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
3. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
4. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
5. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
2. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
3. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
4. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
5. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
6. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
7. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
8. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
9. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
10. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
Write an essay about the Hebrides and the role of the Vikings in their history.
Part 1. Where are the Hebrides? What is their geology like? Give an introduction to the Hebrides.
Part 2. Why might have the Hebrides been so aptly suited to Viking settlements? Explain the safety and accessibility of the Hebrides.
Part 3. When did Vikings first arrive on the Hebrides? How long did they stay? Give examples and cite particulars.
Part 4. What evidence remains, archeological and otherwise, of the Viking occupation of the Hebrides?
What are the Oseberg and Gokstad Ships? Why are they special?
Part 1. When and where were the Oseberg and Gokstad discovered?
Part 2. Why were they part of a burial? What else do we know about those burials?
Part 3. Describe the Oseberg and Gokstad ships. How do they differ from each other? What were their uses?
How did the Vikings compare as shipbuilders, seamen and explorers to their contemporaries?
Part 1. As explorers and sea voyagers, how did the vikings compare to others of their time?
Part 2. What kind of ships did the Vikings use? What were the advantages and disadvantages of these ships? How were they made?
Part 3. What influence did the Viking ships have on other nautical customs of the time? What legacy have they left behind?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)