|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
2. What size crew does Leif Eiriksson take with him?
3. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
4. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
5. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the woman that Gudrid sees and the discourse between them.
2. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
3. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
4. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
5. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
6. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
7. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
8. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
9. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
10. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Icelandic Sagas?
Part 1. What are the Icelandic Sagas? When were they written and by whom?
Part 2. Why are the Icelandic Sagas important historically? What do we know from them?
Part 3. Summarize and analyze the content of the Vinland sagas.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the runic alphabets.
Part 1. When were the runic alphabets used?
Part 2. What different runic alphabets are there? How do they differ from each other?
Part 3. What runic alphabet did the Vikings use? Give particulars of this alphabet.
Part 4. Give an example of how to translate something into runes.
Essay Topic 3
Eirik the Red is sentenced to outlawry by the Thorsness Assembly. Write an essay about the concept of outlawry.
Part 1. What does the legal sentence of outlawry mean?
Part 2. What places practiced the sentence of outlawry? When did they stop?
Part 3. What are the good and bad consequences of the practice of outlawry? Why do you think it is no longer practiced?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)