|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eirik lend to Thorgest?
2. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
3. Who is Leif?
4. According to the prophecy, where will Gudrid go on pilgrimage?
5. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
2. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
3. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
4. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
5. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
6. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
7. What does the saga of Gudrid's Ancestry tell us about Aud's faith and what she does to practice it?
8. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
9. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
10. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the runic alphabets.
Part 1. When were the runic alphabets used?
Part 2. What different runic alphabets are there? How do they differ from each other?
Part 3. What runic alphabet did the Vikings use? Give particulars of this alphabet.
Part 4. Give an example of how to translate something into runes.
Essay Topic 2
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
Essay Topic 3
The historical novel "The Thrall's Tale" takes place during the sagas. Read the novel and then analyze the novel's connections to the sagas.
Part 1. Introduce and summarize the novel.
Part 2. During which saga does the action of the novel take place? What events happen in both?
Part 3. Which characters from the novel are also characters from the sagas? Are they consistent with their portrayal in the sagas? Does the fiction created surrounding the characters seem likely or plausible? Why or why not?
Part 4. According to you, how well did the author of "The Thrall's Tale" weave her fiction into the sagas? What did she do well and what could she have done better?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)