|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What size crew does Leif Eiriksson take with him?
2. What does Thorvald die of?
3. What does Aud Do in Orkney after she hears of the death of Thorstein the Red?
4. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
5. Who is Karlsefni?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the part Thorhall plays in the expedition to Vinland, including how it ends for both him and Karlsefni.
2. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
3. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
4. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
5. Explain what happens during Thorstein and Eirik's trip to Vinland, and what they do for the crew at the end of it.
6. What prophecy does Gudrid hear about her future? Who tells her this future?
7. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
8. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
9. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
10. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about many popular misconceptions about Vikings.
Part 1. What is the popular image of a Viking?
Part 2. What parts of the popular image of a Viking are wrong?
Part 3. Provide explanations or evidence that suggests that these popular misconceptions are not historical.
Part 4. What might historical Vikings have been like instead?
Essay Topic 2
The Vinland Sagas are about the Vikings. Write an essay about Vikings.
Part 1. Who were the Vikings? When and where did they live?
Part 2. What were the Vikings famous and feared for? What were they like as a people and how did they survive? What did they accomplish?
Part 3.What records do we have about the Vikings? Discuss both the sagas and the archeological record.
Part 4. How did the Vikings leave their mark on the world?
Essay Topic 3
What are the Oseberg and Gokstad Ships? Why are they special?
Part 1. When and where were the Oseberg and Gokstad discovered?
Part 2. Why were they part of a burial? What else do we know about those burials?
Part 3. Describe the Oseberg and Gokstad ships. How do they differ from each other? What were their uses?
This section contains 2,487 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)