|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Tyrkir?
2. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
3. What do Thorvald and his men do with the natives they encounter?
4. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid settle for the remainder of their lives?
5. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
2. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
3. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
4. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
5. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
6. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
7. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
8. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
9. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
10. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Vikings compare as shipbuilders, seamen and explorers to their contemporaries?
Part 1. As explorers and sea voyagers, how did the vikings compare to others of their time?
Part 2. What kind of ships did the Vikings use? What were the advantages and disadvantages of these ships? How were they made?
Part 3. What influence did the Viking ships have on other nautical customs of the time? What legacy have they left behind?
Essay Topic 2
Eirik the Red and his sons explored a considerable amount of new land. Write an essay about the family that may have been the first Europeans to discover America.
Part 1. What lands were Eirik the Red and his sons the first Europeans to discover and explore?
Part 2. Each of the four of the explorers had a different motivation for their exploration. What was the motivation of each and how did they differ from one another?
Part 3. There are descriptions of Eirik, Leif, Thorvald, and Thorstein in the sagas. What were they like? Is there evidence to suggest how they get along together?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about many popular misconceptions about Vikings.
Part 1. What is the popular image of a Viking?
Part 2. What parts of the popular image of a Viking are wrong?
Part 3. Provide explanations or evidence that suggests that these popular misconceptions are not historical.
Part 4. What might historical Vikings have been like instead?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)