|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid settle for the remainder of their lives?
2. What happens after the fight with Thorgest?
3. What is Aud's full title?
4. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
5. Where do Thorvald and his men moor the boat and wander on shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
2. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
3. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
4. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
5. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
6. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
7. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
8. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
9. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
10. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Norway
Part 1. Describe the location and geography of Norway.
Part 2. What is Norway currently like? Describe what it is today.
Part 3. Describe Norway during the Viking era. Who were some prominent people of the time and what did they do?
Part 4. What remnants of the Vikings still exist in Norway?
Essay Topic 3
What are the Oseberg and Gokstad Ships? Why are they special?
Part 1. When and where were the Oseberg and Gokstad discovered?
Part 2. Why were they part of a burial? What else do we know about those burials?
Part 3. Describe the Oseberg and Gokstad ships. How do they differ from each other? What were their uses?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)