|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What size crew does Leif Eiriksson take with him?
2. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
3. What is Aud's full title?
4. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
5. How is Tyrkir described?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
2. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
3. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
4. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
5. Describe the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid.
6. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
7. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
8. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
9. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
10. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Norway
Part 1. Describe the location and geography of Norway.
Part 2. What is Norway currently like? Describe what it is today.
Part 3. Describe Norway during the Viking era. Who were some prominent people of the time and what did they do?
Part 4. What remnants of the Vikings still exist in Norway?
Essay Topic 2
Gudrid (Gudridur Thorbjarnardottir) is possibly one of the best documented and traveled women of her era. Do further outside research and write an essay about Gudrid.
Part 1. Who was Gudrid? Who were her family?
Part 2. What kind of person was Gudrid? How did this affect her life?
Part 3. Where did Gudrid travel during her life? How and why did she travel so extensively?
Part 4. What other major events happened during Gudrid's life and how did she handle them?
Essay Topic 3
What are the Oseberg and Gokstad Ships? Why are they special?
Part 1. When and where were the Oseberg and Gokstad discovered?
Part 2. Why were they part of a burial? What else do we know about those burials?
Part 3. Describe the Oseberg and Gokstad ships. How do they differ from each other? What were their uses?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)