|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
2. What does Aud Do in Orkney after she hears of the death of Thorstein the Red?
3. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid settle for the remainder of their lives?
4. How does Bjarni spend the rest of his days?
5. What happens to Tyrkir?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
2. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
3. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
4. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
5. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
6. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
7. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
8. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
9. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
10. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Vinland Sagas are part of the history of Iceland. Write an essay about Iceland.
Part 1. Describe Iceland physically - where is it and what is the nature like there?
Part 2. What role does Iceland play in the Vinland Sagas? Why are the Vinland Sagas important to Iceland?
Part 3. Cover the history of Iceland. Who discovered it? When? What has happened to Iceland since then?
Part 4. What is modern Iceland like? Who lives there? What kind of government do they have? What has happened to them recently?
Essay Topic 2
Eirik the Red and his sons explored a considerable amount of new land. Write an essay about the family that may have been the first Europeans to discover America.
Part 1. What lands were Eirik the Red and his sons the first Europeans to discover and explore?
Part 2. Each of the four of the explorers had a different motivation for their exploration. What was the motivation of each and how did they differ from one another?
Part 3. There are descriptions of Eirik, Leif, Thorvald, and Thorstein in the sagas. What were they like? Is there evidence to suggest how they get along together?
Essay Topic 3
Gudrid's father, Thorbjorn Vifilsson, is the son of a slave and is a respected well admired man, but is offended with another son of a slave proposes marriage to his daughter. Research and write an essay about the practice of slavery in Viking culture.
Part 1. How was the concept of slavery for the Vikings fundamentally different than the concept for slavery was for the United States? Which other cultures shared this practice?
Part 2. Where did the Vikings get their slaves?
Part 3. What were the likely and possible futures for a slave once taken by the Vikings?
Part 4. What were the social stigmas attached to slavery or having previously been a slave?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)