|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bjarni travel to see "some time later" after sighting the land to the west?
2. What does Eirik lend to Thorgest?
3. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
4. How do Thorstein and much of his crew die?
5. Why does Bjarni worry about the trip to Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
2. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
3. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
4. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
5. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
6. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
7. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
8. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
9. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
10. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the Hebrides and the role of the Vikings in their history.
Part 1. Where are the Hebrides? What is their geology like? Give an introduction to the Hebrides.
Part 2. Why might have the Hebrides been so aptly suited to Viking settlements? Explain the safety and accessibility of the Hebrides.
Part 3. When did Vikings first arrive on the Hebrides? How long did they stay? Give examples and cite particulars.
Part 4. What evidence remains, archeological and otherwise, of the Viking occupation of the Hebrides?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Erik the Red.
Part 1. Who was Erik the Red? When and where did he live and die?
Part 2. How do we know about Erick the Red? What sources do we have regarding him?
Part 3. Write a brief biography about Erik the Red. Include what he did throughout his life and his reasons for doing those things. Who were his children?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Vikings compare as shipbuilders, seamen and explorers to their contemporaries?
Part 1. As explorers and sea voyagers, how did the vikings compare to others of their time?
Part 2. What kind of ships did the Vikings use? What were the advantages and disadvantages of these ships? How were they made?
Part 3. What influence did the Viking ships have on other nautical customs of the time? What legacy have they left behind?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)