|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
2. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
3. What was the land like that Thorvald and his men see to the west?
4. How does Eirik find Greenland?
5. According to the prophecy, where will Gudrid go on pilgrimage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
2. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
3. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
4. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
5. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
6. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
7. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
8. What does the saga of Gudrid's Ancestry tell us about Aud's faith and what she does to practice it?
9. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
10. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Newfoundland is quite possibly the site of the Viking Vinland. Write an essay about Newfoundland.
Part 1. Where is Newfoundland? What are the land and geography like?
Part 2. Who lived in Newfoundland during the time of the Vikings? What were they like?
Part 3. How does the information about Newfoundland mesh with the accounts from the Vinland sagas? Give examples to support your statement.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about women in Viking culture.
Part 1. How did the rights of viking women compare with the rights of women in other areas of Europe?
Part 2. What traditions surrounded the processes of marriage and divorce?
Part 3. What were the roles and responsibilities of women in a marriage and society?
Essay Topic 3
Eirik the Red and his sons explored a considerable amount of new land. Write an essay about the family that may have been the first Europeans to discover America.
Part 1. What lands were Eirik the Red and his sons the first Europeans to discover and explore?
Part 2. Each of the four of the explorers had a different motivation for their exploration. What was the motivation of each and how did they differ from one another?
Part 3. There are descriptions of Eirik, Leif, Thorvald, and Thorstein in the sagas. What were they like? Is there evidence to suggest how they get along together?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)