|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Thorstein and his men spend the summer?
2. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
3. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
4. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
5. How does Eirik find Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
2. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
3. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
4. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
5. What does the saga of Gudrid's Ancestry tell us about Aud's faith and what she does to practice it?
6. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
7. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
8. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
9. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
10. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Icelandic Sagas?
Part 1. What are the Icelandic Sagas? When were they written and by whom?
Part 2. Why are the Icelandic Sagas important historically? What do we know from them?
Part 3. Summarize and analyze the content of the Vinland sagas.
Essay Topic 2
Several times in the sagas we see a prophecy delivered and taken seriously. Write an essay about the Viking tradition of prophecy.
Part 1. Were the Vikings, in general, a superstitious people? Give examples. What, other than prophecies, did they believe in?
Part 2. How seriously did the Vikings take prophecies?
Part 3. What were some of the common ways for Vikings to receive prophecies?
Part 4. What evidence of prophecies is there in the Vinland Sagas?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Norway
Part 1. Describe the location and geography of Norway.
Part 2. What is Norway currently like? Describe what it is today.
Part 3. Describe Norway during the Viking era. Who were some prominent people of the time and what did they do?
Part 4. What remnants of the Vikings still exist in Norway?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)