|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
(b) Five years of exploration service for the king.
2. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
(b) Already well settled.
(c) A shipping port.
(d) Occupied by enemies.
3. What do Leif and his crew do when their ship becomes grounded at low tide near the shore of a new land?
(a) Remove supplies and abandon the boat.
(b) Impatiently run ashore to explore.
(c) Dig a trench to float the boat.
(d) Observe the land from a distance until high tide returned.
4. How do Thorstein and his men spend the summer?
(a) Cutting wood and grapes.
(b) Searching the coast for Thorvald.
(c) Lost at sea.
(d) Preparing to leave Greenland.
5. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
(a) He visits Bjarni and buys his ship.
(b) He and a crew still his father's ship and leave to explore.
(c) He starts building his own boat, despite prostestations.
(d) He is made a retainer at Earl Eiriks courst and ordered to explore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the prophecy about Gudrid?
2. What is the general consensus about Freydis after her trip to Vinland?
3. What do Eirik's slaves do that caused problems?
4. Who decides to further explore Vinland?
5. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
2. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
3. Explain why the small boat on Bjarni's ship would not sink while the large one was about to.
4. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
5. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
6. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
7. What happens when a native finds an axe near one of the fallen Vikings?
8. Summarize the part Thorhall plays in the expedition to Vinland, including how it ends for both him and Karlsefni.
9. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
10. Describe the woman that Gudrid sees and the discourse between them.
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)