|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scares the natives the first time they appear?
(a) The weapons displayed by the men.
(b) The bellowing of the bull.
(c) The sight of a whale being butchered.
(d) The men shout and chase them.
2. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
(a) In Leif's houses.
(b) On their ship.
(c) In a house they build farther inland.
(d) All cramped inside the smallest of Leif's houses.
3. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
(a) Another large and bountiful island.
(b) An abandoned ship they manage to take home as well.
(c) A group of people stranded on a reef.
(d) A strong current that makes the trip fast and easy.
4. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
(b) Piles of sand hiding an ambush.
(c) Dead men.
(d) Upside down skin boats with men under them.
5. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
(b) A shrine to the ancient gods.
(c) A small cottage for her to live in.
(d) A statue of her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freydis ask of one of the brothers?
2. What does Tyrkir find?
3. Where do Thorstein and his men first land on their trip?
4. Who is Thorvald?
5. How is Leif Eiriksson described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
2. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
3. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
4. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
5. Explain the affair of the Christmas feast, and what secondary function the Christmas feast ended up serving.
6. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
7. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
8. What interaction do Gudrid and Thorbjorg have together?
9. Describe Thorbjorn's trip to Greenland. Include who he is with and what happens.
10. What happens to those that stay in Bjarni's ship and those that leave in the small boat?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)