|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After her time in Orkney, where does Aud go?
2. What does Freydis tell people in Greenland happened to the brothers?
(a) They angered the Gods.
(b) They stayed on in Vinland.
(c) They died of disease.
(d) They went exploring on their own.
3. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
(a) Prepares a mass emigration to follow.
(b) Takes men to bring him back to Iceland.
(c) Assumes his rank and position in Iceland.
(d) Immediately sets off there in his ship.
4. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
(a) Mountainous, steep, and forbidding.
(b) Icy, rocky, and worthless.
(c) Low hills covered in grass.
(d) Dense forest with much lumber.
5. What nickname is Leif given upon his return to Greenland?
(a) Leif the Lucky.
(b) Leif the Explorer.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Leif the Leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bjarni worry about the trip to Greenland?
2. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
3. What drives Thorvald and his men to shore the second summer?
4. What is the land like that Bjarni sees first?
5. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
2. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
3. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
4. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
5. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
6. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
7. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
8. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
9. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
10. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)