|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thorvald decide they should do when spring arrives?
(a) Sail west along the coast to explore.
(b) Divide the group into exploration parties to head out in every direction.
(c) Build another ship for cargo.
(d) Return to Greenland to bring more people.
2. Who is Karlsefni?
(a) Gudrid's brother.
(b) A traveler from Norway who marries Gudrid.
(c) Thorstein's cousin who comes to support Gudrid.
(d) None of the above.
3. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
(a) Wide grasslands.
(b) The woods.
(d) A fresh water spring.
4. How is Leif Eiriksson described?
(a) Loyal, impulsive, and tempermental.
(b) Strong, impulsive, and violent.
(c) Intelligent, ambitious, and proud.
(d) Strong, shrewd, and moderate.
5. Where do Thorstein and his men first land on their trip?
(a) The island Markland.
(b) At Thorvald's grave.
(c) The houses that Leif built.
(d) Lysufjord on Greenland.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eirik find Greenland?
2. Which of the following best characterizes the natural resources and weather on the land that Leif and his men explore?
3. Where does Eirik go after the fight with Thorgest?
4. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
5. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
2. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
3. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
4. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
5. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
6. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
7. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
8. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
9. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
10. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)