|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Eirik spend exploring Greenland?
(a) Six months.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three years.
2. What does Leif do when he hears rumors about what happened in Vinland.
(a) Ignore the rumors.
(b) Travel to Vinland to determine the truth.
(c) Confront Freydis and demand the truth.
(d) Torture three of Freydis's men until he learns the truth.
3. What is different about the trip Karlsefni makes to Vinland from the previous ones?
(a) He intends to make a permanent settlement.
(b) All of the above.
(c) He takes more men and five women who will all share profits.
(d) He takes livestock.
4. What does Aud do to the men that she brings to Iceland?
(a) Keep them the remainder of their lives as servants.
(b) Execute them.
(c) Send them to explore abroad.
(d) Gave them land.
5. What do the settlers end up trading to the natives?
(a) Metal knives.
(b) Woven blankets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What men come with Aud to Iceland?
2. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
3. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
4. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
5. How is Tyrkir described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
2. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
3. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
4. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
5. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
6. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
7. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
8. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
9. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
10. What does the saga of Gudrid's Ancestry tell us about Aud's faith and what she does to practice it?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)