Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
(a) Many boats of goods.
(c) A Christian.
(d) A plague.
2. How do Thorstein and his men spend the summer?
(a) Searching the coast for Thorvald.
(b) Cutting wood and grapes.
(c) Preparing to leave Greenland.
(d) Lost at sea.
3. Which of the following best describes the sentiment between Freydis and the brothers in Vinland?
(a) Distrust and fear.
(b) Business and formality.
(d) General ill will.
4. In what way does Freydis first break her word?
(a) In the number of men she takes on the trip.
(b) By directing them to take her places they do not expect.
(c) In her promises to share everything equally.
(d) In what she pays the brothers.
5. What does Eirik lend to Thorgest?
(c) A ship.
(d) His sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to join Leif Eiriksson in his journey but was injured at the last moment?
2. What was the land like that Thorvald and his men see to the west?
3. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
4. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
5. Where do Thorstein and his men first land on their trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first impressions that Karlsefni and Eirik the Red make on each other? How do they do this?
2. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
3. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
4. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
5. How and why does Einar pursue Gudrid in marriage?
6. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
7. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
8. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
9. How do the two native boys describe the land that is across from their own land? Where might this be?
10. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)