|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Eirik go after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) None of these.
(b) To look for land sighted to the west.
(c) To Dublin to appeal to his relatives for help.
(d) To Norway.
2. What does Freydis ask of one of the brothers?
(a) To murder his brother.
(b) To supply her with extra food.
(c) To return to Greenland and bring Leif.
(d) If he will trade ships so she can leave.
3. What does Thorvald die of?
(a) A fall onto rocks.
(b) He is murdered by a shipmate.
(c) A wound in his armpit.
(d) A serious illness.
4. What size crew does Leif Eiriksson take with him?
(a) Just himself and two close friends.
(b) Thirty five men.
(c) Four ships, abundantly manned.
(d) A barely sufficient skeleton crew.
5. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
(a) A statue of her son.
(b) A small cottage for her to live in.
(c) A shrine to the ancient gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thorvald and Eirik do because "of some killings" in Jaederen?
2. Who tries to join Leif Eiriksson in his journey but was injured at the last moment?
3. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
4. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
5. According to the prophecy, where will Gudrid go on pilgrimage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
2. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
3. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
4. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
5. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
6. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
7. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
8. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
9. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
10. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)