|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
(a) Eirik went to get them when they were not returned.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Two of Thorgest's sons and several other men were killed.
(d) A fight broke out.
2. Who is Karlsefni?
(a) A traveler from Norway who marries Gudrid.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Gudrid's brother.
(d) Thorstein's cousin who comes to support Gudrid.
3. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
(a) Icy, rocky, and worthless.
(b) Low hills covered in grass.
(c) Mountainous, steep, and forbidding.
(d) Dense forest with much lumber.
4. What does Freydis ask of one of the brothers?
(a) If he will trade ships so she can leave.
(b) To supply her with extra food.
(c) To murder his brother.
(d) To return to Greenland and bring Leif.
5. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
(a) Damaged instruments.
(c) Heavy fog and northerly winds.
(d) An inexperienced crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the fight with Thorgest?
2. How is Leif Eiriksson described?
3. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
4. How long does Eirik spend exploring Greenland?
5. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
2. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
3. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
4. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
5. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
6. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
7. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
8. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
9. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
10. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)