|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A plague.
(d) Many boats of goods.
2. What arrangement does Freydis have with the brothers Helgi and Finnbogi?
(a) They will command the ships of her expedition.
(b) She hires them to transport her goods.
(c) To travel together to Vinland and share equally in the profits.
(d) They will take her along on their travels if she can pay.
3. Why does Eirik name the land he discovered "Greenland"?
(a) Because there was lush green grass around the coast.
(b) Because the rocks and glaciers have a greenish tint.
(c) To give homage to the god of crops.
(d) To attract people there.
4. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
(a) Already well settled.
(c) Occupied by enemies.
(d) A shipping port.
5. What does Aud do to the men that she brings to Iceland?
(a) Gave them land.
(b) Execute them.
(c) Send them to explore abroad.
(d) Keep them the remainder of their lives as servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thorvald and his men do with the natives they encounter?
2. Who tries to join Leif Eiriksson in his journey but was injured at the last moment?
3. What was the land like that Thorvald and his men see to the west?
4. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
5. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
2. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
3. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
4. Describe the woman that Gudrid sees and the discourse between them.
5. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
6. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
7. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
8. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
9. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
10. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)