|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
(a) He starts building his own boat, despite prostestations.
(b) He and a crew still his father's ship and leave to explore.
(c) He is made a retainer at Earl Eiriks courst and ordered to explore.
(d) He visits Bjarni and buys his ship.
2. What happens to Tyrkir?
(a) He hears strange sounds and follows them.
(b) He gets separated from the other men.
(c) He gets lost.
(d) He gets into a fight with Leif and leaves by himself.
3. What is the general consensus about Freydis after her trip to Vinland?
(a) She earned the title of explorer.
(b) She can command ship like a man.
(c) No one thinks anything but ill of her and her family.
(d) She is plagued by misfortune.
4. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
(a) Eirik went to get them when they were not returned.
(b) A fight broke out.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Two of Thorgest's sons and several other men were killed.
5. How does Bjarni spend the rest of his days?
(a) Farming with his father in Greenland.
(b) As a pauper.
(c) Sailing the seas looking for that land.
(d) Sick in bed with the plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
2. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
3. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
4. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
5. What nickname is Leif given upon his return to Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the woman that Gudrid sees and the discourse between them.
2. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
3. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
4. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
5. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
6. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
7. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
8. What does the saga of Gudrid's Ancestry tell us about Aud's faith and what she does to practice it?
9. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
10. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)