|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leif names the second land that he and his crew land on after a natural resource on it. What resource is this?
(b) Wide grasslands.
(c) The woods.
(d) A fresh water spring.
2. Who is Thorvald?
(a) The father of Eirik the Red.
(b) The king.
(c) The discoverer of Greenland.
(d) The brother of Eirik the Red.
3. In what way does Freydis first break her word?
(a) In what she pays the brothers.
(b) In the number of men she takes on the trip.
(c) In her promises to share everything equally.
(d) By directing them to take her places they do not expect.
4. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Two of Thorgest's sons and several other men were killed.
(c) A fight broke out.
(d) Eirik went to get them when they were not returned.
5. What is different about the trip Karlsefni makes to Vinland from the previous ones?
(a) He takes livestock.
(b) He takes more men and five women who will all share profits.
(c) He intends to make a permanent settlement.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What arrangement does Freydis have with the brothers Helgi and Finnbogi?
2. How is Tyrkir described?
3. Where do the brothers stay when they arrive in Vinland?
4. Who does Bjarni travel to see "some time later" after sighting the land to the west?
5. Where does the search party find Tyrkir?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
2. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
3. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
4. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
5. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
6. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
7. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
8. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
9. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
10. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)