|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thorvald die of?
(a) A serious illness.
(b) He is murdered by a shipmate.
(c) A fall onto rocks.
(d) A wound in his armpit.
2. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
(a) A Christian.
(c) A plague.
(d) Many boats of goods.
3. What do Thorvald and his men do with the natives they encounter?
(a) All of the above.
(d) Attempt to communicate.
4. How many men and ships return to Vinland with Thorvald?
(a) Thirty men in three ships.
(b) Sixty men in eight ships.
(c) Nine men in one ship.
(d) Thirty men in one ship.
5. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
(a) Icy, rocky, and worthless.
(b) Mountainous, steep, and forbidding.
(c) Dense forest with much lumber.
(d) Low hills covered in grass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What size crew does Leif Eiriksson take with him?
2. What does Leif do when he hears rumors about what happened in Vinland.
3. What does Freydis ask of one of the brothers?
4. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
5. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
2. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
3. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
4. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
5. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
6. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
7. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
8. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
9. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
10. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)