|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
(a) They are of more even length.
(b) They reached higher temperatures.
(c) They were louder with sounds of wildlife.
(d) The skies were clearer.
2. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
(a) To make more wine from the grapes.
(b) To acquire a stock of lumber.
(c) To fetch Thorvald's body.
(d) None of the above.
3. What size crew does Leif Eiriksson take with him?
(a) Four ships, abundantly manned.
(b) A barely sufficient skeleton crew.
(c) Thirty five men.
(d) Just himself and two close friends.
4. Where does Eirik go after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) To Dublin to appeal to his relatives for help.
(b) To look for land sighted to the west.
(c) None of these.
(d) To Norway.
5. What happens after the fight with Thorgest?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Thorgest scours the country looking for Eirik.
(c) Eirik is sentenced to outlawry.
(d) Eirik hides and then flees the island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
2. Why does Bjarni worry about the trip to Greenland?
3. What religious affiliation does Aud practice?
4. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
5. Who is Freydis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
2. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
3. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
4. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
5. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
6. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
7. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
8. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
9. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
10. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)