|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Freydis tell people in Greenland happened to the brothers?
(a) They went exploring on their own.
(b) They angered the Gods.
(c) They died of disease.
(d) They stayed on in Vinland.
2. What reception does Karlsefni receive in Norway?
(a) All of the above.
(b) He had so much merchandise he was accused of being a pirate.
(c) People were amazed he was still alive.
(d) Karlsefni and Gudrid were well received by the nobles in Norway.
3. How do Thorstein and his men spend the summer?
(a) Lost at sea.
(b) Searching the coast for Thorvald.
(c) Cutting wood and grapes.
(d) Preparing to leave Greenland.
4. Who is Thorvald?
(a) The king.
(b) The brother of Eirik the Red.
(c) The discoverer of Greenland.
(d) The father of Eirik the Red.
5. What religious affiliation does Aud practice?
(a) She refused to practice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general consensus about Freydis after her trip to Vinland?
2. What is Eirik sentenced with by the Thorsness Assembly?
3. What do the lumps on the beach Thorvald sees turn out to be?
4. Where does Eirik go after the fight with Thorgest?
5. How is Tyrkir described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid.
2. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
3. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
4. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
5. What kind of person is Freydis? Give examples.
6. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
7. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
8. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
9. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
10. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)