|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about the trip Karlsefni makes to Vinland from the previous ones?
(a) He intends to make a permanent settlement.
(b) He takes livestock.
(c) He takes more men and five women who will all share profits.
(d) All of the above.
2. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
(a) Planted crops.
(d) Ruins of great cities.
3. According to the prophecy, where will Gudrid go on pilgrimage?
(d) Thorvald's grave.
4. Where does the search party find Tyrkir?
(a) In a lush undiscovered valley.
(b) On his way back, not far from the houses.
(c) Asleep after gorging on grapes.
(d) None of the above.
5. What happens to the brothers and their men?
(a) They fight amonst themselves and leave.
(b) Freydis has her husband Thorvard kill them.
(c) They skraelings kill them.
(d) They die from a disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general consensus about Freydis after her trip to Vinland?
2. What does Eirik do when he finds Greenland?
3. Why do Eirik and Thorvald leave Norway?
4. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
5. What does Thorvald decide they should do when spring arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
2. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
3. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
4. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
5. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
6. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
7. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
8. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
9. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
10. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)