|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the land like that Bjarni sees first?
(a) Wooded with low hills.
(b) Desolate and bare.
(c) Mountainous and icy.
(d) Heavily populated.
2. What does Tyrkir find?
(a) A human settlement.
(b) Vines and grapes.
(c) Another boat anchored on upshore.
(d) A gold vein.
3. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
(a) A Christian.
(b) Many boats of goods.
(c) A plague.
4. What happens between Thorgest and Eirik when Eirik returns to Iceland?
(a) A reconciliation is reached.
(b) Thorgest and Eirik battle again.
(c) Eirik is deated.
(d) All of the above.
5. What do the settlers end up trading to the natives?
(b) Metal knives.
(c) Woven blankets.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Leif Eiriksson described?
2. What happens to Tyrkir?
3. What is different about the trip Karlsefni makes to Vinland from the previous ones?
4. Which of the following best describes Bjarni?
5. What does Gudrid see that no one else sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
2. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
3. Why is Bjarni away when his father emigrates to Greenland?
4. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
5. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
6. Why was Bjarni determined to reach Greenland? What did he do there when he did?
7. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
8. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
9. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
10. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)