|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aud's full title?
(a) Aud the Deep Minded.
(b) Aud the Red.
(c) Aud the White.
(d) Aud the Beautiful.
2. What do Leif and his crew decide to do regarding their discovery of this land?
(a) Name it after Earl Eirik.
(b) Build houses, spend the winter, and explore.
(c) Take samples of the resources and return to Greenland.
(d) Leave part of the crew to explore while the other part returns to Greenland to report.
3. After her time in Orkney, where does Aud go?
4. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
(a) Occupied by enemies.
(c) A shipping port.
(d) Already well settled.
5. What does Freydis ask of one of the brothers?
(a) If he will trade ships so she can leave.
(b) To return to Greenland and bring Leif.
(c) To murder his brother.
(d) To supply her with extra food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Eirik and Thorvald leave Norway?
2. What nickname is Leif given upon his return to Greenland?
3. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
4. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
5. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Haki and Hekja come to be on the expedition to Vinland? Where are they from?
2. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
3. What is the relationship between Thorbjorn and Orm? How does it change with events?
4. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
5. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
6. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
7. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
8. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
9. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
10. What happens with the whale? Why do people refuse to eat it?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)