|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thorvald die of?
(a) A serious illness.
(b) A wound in his armpit.
(c) He is murdered by a shipmate.
(d) A fall onto rocks.
2. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
(a) To explore land sighted to the west.
(b) Back to Norway.
(c) He is set to sea with no guide or plan.
(d) To take revenge.
3. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
(a) Karlsefni buys the houses from Leif.
(b) Leif gives him the houses on the condition that the settlement is named after him.
(c) Leif is willing to lend Karlsefni the houses, but not give them.
(d) Karlsefni can use them until Leif arrives again.
4. Where do Thorvald and his men moor the boat and wander on shore?
(a) All of the above.
(b) A beautiful, heavily wooded area.
(c) A beautiful place Thorvald said he would like to make his home.
(d) On a promontory between two fjords.
5. What does Thorvald decide they should do when spring arrives?
(a) Sail west along the coast to explore.
(b) Divide the group into exploration parties to head out in every direction.
(c) Return to Greenland to bring more people.
(d) Build another ship for cargo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
2. How many men and ships return to Vinland with Thorvald?
3. What is different about the trip Karlsefni makes to Vinland from the previous ones?
4. What men come with Aud to Iceland?
5. Who is Freydis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
2. Describe the woman that Gudrid sees and the discourse between them.
3. What does the saga of Gudrid's Ancestry tell us about Aud's faith and what she does to practice it?
4. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
5. Describe the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid.
6. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
7. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
8. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
9. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
10. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)