|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the land like that Bjarni sees first?
(a) Mountainous and icy.
(b) Desolate and bare.
(c) Heavily populated.
(d) Wooded with low hills.
2. What does Eirik do when he finds Greenland?
(a) Returns immediately to Iceland.
(b) Explores it and name places for three years.
(c) Decides to find land farther west.
(d) Declares the land uninhabitable.
3. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid settle for the remainder of their lives?
(a) In Norway.
(b) In Greenland.
(c) In Iceland.
(d) Back on Vinland.
4. What do Leif and his crew decide to do regarding their discovery of this land?
(a) Take samples of the resources and return to Greenland.
(b) Leave part of the crew to explore while the other part returns to Greenland to report.
(c) Build houses, spend the winter, and explore.
(d) Name it after Earl Eirik.
5. In what way does Freydis first break her word?
(a) In the number of men she takes on the trip.
(b) By directing them to take her places they do not expect.
(c) In what she pays the brothers.
(d) In her promises to share everything equally.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herjolf take with him when he emigrates to Greenland?
2. According to the prophecy, where will Gudrid go on pilgrimage?
3. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
4. What does Aud Do in Orkney after she hears of the death of Thorstein the Red?
5. Which of the following best describes Bjarni?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the land that Thorvald and his men reported seeing all up and down the coast.
2. Describe the descendants of Karlsefni and Gudrid.
3. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
4. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
5. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
6. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
7. How long does Thorvald spend in Vinland, and what are his primary activities while he is there? Give details.
8. Explain what happened to Aud's husband and son.
9. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
10. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid travel? What becomes of them?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)