|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Tyrkir described?
(a) Large, strong, and oafish.
(b) Puny, shifty eyed, and clever with his hands.
(c) Small, easily frightened, and learned.
(d) Sickly, clever, and traitorous.
2. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
(b) Planted crops.
(c) Ruins of great cities.
3. What does Leif do when he hears rumors about what happened in Vinland.
(a) Confront Freydis and demand the truth.
(b) Torture three of Freydis's men until he learns the truth.
(c) Ignore the rumors.
(d) Travel to Vinland to determine the truth.
4. What does Gudrid see that no one else sees?
(a) The ghost of her husband Thorstein.
(b) A vision into the future.
(c) More natives gathering in the distance.
(d) A chestnut haired woman in a close fitting tunic.
5. Which of the following best characterizes the natural resources and weather on the land that Leif and his men explore?
(a) Few and cold.
(b) Abundant and mild.
(c) Sufficient and tolerable.
(d) Sparse and changeable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aud have erected at Kross Hills?
2. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
3. What causes a fight between Eirik and Thorgest?
4. What happens to the brothers and their men?
5. Who gives the prophecy about Gudrid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of place to Karlsefni and his men settle in for their stay in Vinland?
2. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
3. Explain the encounter with the uniped.
4. Explain Sigrid's vision, including where she was when she had it and the three individuals in her vision she identifies.
5. What circumstances caused Eirik the Red to leave Iceland?
6. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
7. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
8. Explain why the small boat on Bjarni's ship would not sink while the large one was about to.
9. Explain the entire affair of Eirik and the bench-boards.
10. What does Eirik the Red do upon departing for Vinland that he suspects causes him to fall off his horse? What does he do to resolve it?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)