|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Eirik requests his possessions back from Thorgest?
(a) Two of Thorgest's sons and several other men were killed.
(b) Eirik went to get them when they were not returned.
(c) All of the above.
(d) A fight broke out.
2. What were the characteristics of the first land that Leif and his crew land on?
(a) Low hills covered in grass.
(b) Icy, rocky, and worthless.
(c) Mountainous, steep, and forbidding.
(d) Dense forest with much lumber.
3. Who tries to join Leif Eiriksson in his journey but was injured at the last moment?
(a) His wife.
(b) A Christian missionary.
(c) His father.
4. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
(a) A huge rock pointing upwards.
(b) The old keel of the boat.
(c) A peak towering overhead.
(d) None of the above.
5. What do Thorvald and his men do with the natives they encounter?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Attempt to communicate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Tyrkir?
2. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
3. What causes the Bjarni to lose his bearings at sea?
4. What does Leif Eiriksson do with the news of the land sighted to the west?
5. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
2. What happens between the natives and Thorvald and his crew? Describe the encounter.
3. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
4. What strategy do Leif and his men employ to explore the area around them on this new shore?
5. Describe the events surrounding Thorstein's death.
6. What happens to Thorstein and his crew when they set sail for Vinland? Where do they end up spending the winter?
7. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
8. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
9. Explain who Aud brings to Iceland with her, who they were, and what happened once they arrived in Iceland.
10. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)