|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
(a) A group of people stranded on a reef.
(b) Another large and bountiful island.
(c) A strong current that makes the trip fast and easy.
(d) An abandoned ship they manage to take home as well.
2. Where does Eirik propose to go when he leaves Iceland?
(a) To explore land sighted to the west.
(b) He is set to sea with no guide or plan.
(c) Back to Norway.
(d) To take revenge.
3. Why does Eirik name the land he discovered "Greenland"?
(a) Because the rocks and glaciers have a greenish tint.
(b) Because there was lush green grass around the coast.
(c) To give homage to the god of crops.
(d) To attract people there.
4. Which of the following best describes Bjarni?
(a) All of the above.
(b) A merchant.
(c) A man of wealth and reputation.
(d) The son of Herjolf Bardarson
5. Who are the parents of Thorstein the Red?
(a) Eirik the Red and Thurid.
(b) Thurid and Olaf the White.
(c) Aud and Olaf the White.
(d) The Invisible People.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bjarni do when he hears Herjolf has moved to Greenland?
2. What arrangement does Karlsefni make with Leif regarding the houses in Vinland?
3. What does Thorvald decide they should do when spring arrives?
4. What does Freydis ask of one of the brothers?
5. Who decides to further explore Vinland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interactions the settlers have with the natives.
2. How does Leif become aware of Freydis' behavior on Vinland and what does he do about it?
3. What do we know about the emigration from Iceland to Greenland?
4. Who is Thorir and what happens to him?
5. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
6. How do Leif and his men find grapes? Describe the incident.
7. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
8. What does Eirik do when he reaches Greenland? How long?
9. Describe how Eirik the Red felt about the possibility of joining Leif's exploration crew and why he did not.
10. Describe the circumstances of Bjarni's discovery of new lands to the west.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)