|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Leif and his men find on the return trip to Greenland?
(a) An abandoned ship they manage to take home as well.
(b) A group of people stranded on a reef.
(c) Another large and bountiful island.
(d) A strong current that makes the trip fast and easy.
2. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
(b) Planted crops.
(c) Ruins of great cities.
3. What does Thorvald use to mark the spot he named Kjalarness?
(a) A huge rock pointing upwards.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The old keel of the boat.
(d) A peak towering overhead.
4. How is Tyrkir described?
(a) Large, strong, and oafish.
(b) Small, easily frightened, and learned.
(c) Sickly, clever, and traitorous.
(d) Puny, shifty eyed, and clever with his hands.
5. What does Thorvald die of?
(a) A fall onto rocks.
(b) A serious illness.
(c) He is murdered by a shipmate.
(d) A wound in his armpit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Leif?
2. How do Thorstein and much of his crew die?
3. Where do Karlsefni and Gudrid settle for the remainder of their lives?
4. Who accompanies Thorstein and his men to Vinland?
5. How does Eirik find Greenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Eirik know to look for Greenland? What did he do when he found it?
2. Describe the first two encounters that Karlsefni and his men have with the natives.
3. What future does Thorbjorg predict for Gudrid?
4. What does the prophecy told to Gudrid tell her about her future?
5. Explain why Eirik chose the name Greenland.
6. Describe what happens as Leif and his crew try to approach the shore of the mainland.
7. When food runs scarce, Thorhall disappears for three days. How and where do Karlsefni and Bjarni find him? What does he say he was doing?
8. Summarize the part Thorhall plays in the expedition to Vinland, including how it ends for both him and Karlsefni.
9. How does a fight break out between Karlsefni's men and the natives? Describe the sequence of events leading up to Karlsefni and his men fleeing.
10. What response does Bjarni receive when he shares his sighting of the new land?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)