|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Grænlendinga Saga, Chapters 5 - 6, Thorvald Explores Vinland, Thorstein Eiriksson Dies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Thorstein wish to return to Vinland?
(a) To acquire a stock of lumber.
(b) To fetch Thorvald's body.
(c) None of the above.
(d) To make more wine from the grapes.
2. Why does Eirik name the land he discovered "Greenland"?
(a) To give homage to the god of crops.
(b) Because the rocks and glaciers have a greenish tint.
(c) To attract people there.
(d) Because there was lush green grass around the coast.
3. What does Thorvald decide they should do when spring arrives?
(a) Divide the group into exploration parties to head out in every direction.
(b) Sail west along the coast to explore.
(c) Return to Greenland to bring more people.
(d) Build another ship for cargo.
4. What does Eirik do when he finds Greenland?
(a) Returns immediately to Iceland.
(b) Decides to find land farther west.
(c) Declares the land uninhabitable.
(d) Explores it and name places for three years.
5. What was the land like that Thorvald and his men see to the west?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Attractive and forested.
(c) White sandy beaches and many islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Tyrkir?
2. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
3. How do Thorstein and his men spend the summer?
4. Who gives the prophecy about Gudrid?
5. Why does Bjarni worry about the trip to Greenland?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)