|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Grænlendinga Saga, Chapters 5 - 6, Thorvald Explores Vinland, Thorstein Eiriksson Dies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Leif and his crew decide to do regarding their discovery of this land?
(a) Leave part of the crew to explore while the other part returns to Greenland to report.
(b) Build houses, spend the winter, and explore.
(c) Name it after Earl Eirik.
(d) Take samples of the resources and return to Greenland.
2. What do Leif and his men notice about the days on this new land compared to Greenland or Iceland?
(a) They are of more even length.
(b) The skies were clearer.
(c) They reached higher temperatures.
(d) They were louder with sounds of wildlife.
3. What does Thorvald die of?
(a) A wound in his armpit.
(b) He is murdered by a shipmate.
(c) A fall onto rocks.
(d) A serious illness.
4. Where does the search party find Tyrkir?
(a) On his way back, not far from the houses.
(b) Asleep after gorging on grapes.
(c) In a lush undiscovered valley.
(d) None of the above.
5. What is the land like that Bjarni sees first?
(a) Desolate and bare.
(b) Heavily populated.
(c) Mountainous and icy.
(d) Wooded with low hills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to further explore Vinland?
2. What is Iceland like when Eirik the Red arrives there?
3. Why do Eirik and Thorvald leave Norway?
4. What do Thorvald and his men see further up the fjord?
5. How many men and ships return to Vinland with Thorvald?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)