Grænlendinga Saga, Chapters 1 - 2, Eirik Explores Greenland, Bjarni Sights Land to the West
• Thorvald and his son Eirik the Red leave Norway because of some killings and settle in Iceland.
• Thorvald dies, and Eirik is banished. Eirik takes his wife and son, Leif, to the south.
• There Eirik gets into another fight and is sentenced with outlawry.
• Eirik leaves Iceland to look for land rumored to exist in the west. He discovers and explores Greenland.
• Eirik returns to Iceland and gathers people to emigrate to Greenland.
• Twenty five boats leave for Greenland but only fourteen boats of people make the trip successfully.
• Many people take possession of land and Greenland is settled.
• Bjarni, son of Herjolf Bardarson, is a wealthy merchant who spends much time away from home.
• He is surprised to find when he returns that his father has emigrated to Greenland.
• He immediately heads to...
This section contains 3,449 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)