|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do women think of the sounds of Swiss musical clocks?
2. What demands does Francisco make of the king?
3. How many passengers are on board the canoe that takes Francisco to shore?
4. Why did the Portuguese boat stop at Popos?
5. What group seems to be immune from the disease sweeping the region?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eugenia's dying thoughts are presented early in the book. At the end of the book, the author brings the story back to Eugenia. Is this an effective structure? Examine the structure and explain which methods work well and which are ineffective.
Essay Topic 2
How does Francisco come to be involved in the slave trade? What is it that forces his partners out of the trade?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Joaquim. What kind of person is he? What do his actions say about him?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)