|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the memorial event almost canceled?
2. What is the prevalent smell during March at the home of Joaquim's family?
3. Why does Mama Wewe choose azure cloth to wrap Cesario's body?
4. What deformity does Manuelzinho have?
5. What color was the limewash Modeste and Pierre used to paint?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to have been the general train of thought being conveyed by the president during his radio broadcast playing at the family eats?
2. Why is it that the king and Francisco clash over the king's cruelty to the slaves?
3. How does Mama Wewe come to fall in love with the professor?
4. List at least three details about Simbodji.
5. Describe a few key features in the house Francisco builds.
6. What impact does Joaquim's mother have on Francisco's life?
7. It's noted that Francisco's mother is "filled with rage." Why is she battling this rage?
8. How does Francisco come to be called "the elephant?"
9. What steps does Mama Wewe take at the final moments of Cesario's life and after his death?
10. What are the duties of Yaya Adelina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two instances in which the characters of the book are faced with a disease. Compare the two situations, including the characters involved.
Essay Topic 2
Francisco expects public recognition for his work, but it never comes. Why? What does this indicate about his business partners?
Essay Topic 3
The first "Brazilians" who arrive in Ouidah as the slave trade is winding down are former slaves, the grandchildren of slaves who lived as free people in Ouidah. What do the slaves expect upon their arrival in Ouidah and what do they actually encounter? Why are what they expect and what they get not the same?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)