|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the man with whom Manuelzinho leaves Francisco after his mother's death?
2. What does Herr Raabe want to train Cesario to be?
3. What condition is placed on the family holding the memorial event?
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the fates that befell the family?
5. What is the question the family wants answered before Mama Wewe dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the first "Brazilians" arriving in Ouidah and why do they expect the country to be welcoming?
2. What punishment does Francisco face when the King says that Francisco believes himself to be a white man?
3. What is the main thrust of the letters Francisco writes to Joaquim?
4. What does Mama Wewe remember about the professor as he is leaving headed into the forest?
5. What kinds of businesses does Joaquim have and how does he become a baron?
6. What is the goal of Francisco by the time a Portuguese ship arrives at the shore where Francisco is staying?
7. What is the new king's attitude toward killing?
8. Describe Jacinto and his personality.
9. What is the relationship between Rosemary da Silva and her husband, Ernest?
10. Describe Francisco's physical state just before his death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book doesn't focus a great deal on the slave trade though this activity is at the center of the story line. From the book, what is known about the slave trade? Compare that with what is historically accepted as fact about the trade. Do you believe there is a reason the author didn't go into deeper detail?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Francisco's childhood. What signs are there that he is deeply disturbed? What might be the reaction to his actions in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ouidah as it is seen from Francisco's eyes. What are the challenges he faces there? Describe how he tries to adapt to life there. Does he ever completely accept his life in Ouidah?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)