|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the shutters on Francisco's childhood home?
2. What game does the professor play with Mama Wewe's brother, Antonio?
3. Which of the following was NOT one of the fates that befell the family?
4. What is on Papa Agostinho's hat?
5. What is the name of the man who tends cattle for Francisco's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the women Francisco has in the military.
2. Describe the final conversation between Mama Wewe and the professor.
3. What kinds of businesses does Joaquim have and how does he become a baron?
4. What does Mama Wewe remember about the professor as he is leaving headed into the forest?
5. List at least three details about Simbodji.
6. What is Francisco's life like after he's left with the priest?
7. What does Francisco do with regards to the condition of the fort and why do the blacks find this so amazing?
8. What is Francisco's relationship with Joaquim?
9. What are some of the theories of what happened to Francisco's money?
10. What does Mama Wewe do in the first years after the professor leaves her behind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the situation that arises in which one king is replaced with another. What is the role of Francisco in this situation?
Essay Topic 2
The first "Brazilians" who arrive in Ouidah as the slave trade is winding down are former slaves, the grandchildren of slaves who lived as free people in Ouidah. What do the slaves expect upon their arrival in Ouidah and what do they actually encounter? Why are what they expect and what they get not the same?
Essay Topic 3
Francisco is arrested on more than one occasion while in Ouidah. Describe how and why he is arrested. What is the result of these arrests?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)