|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many tears does Francisco say he sheds for his mother?
2. How long would Manuelzinho remain with Francisco and his mother before leaving?
3. What condition is placed on the family holding the memorial event?
4. What scene was depicted on the rattan mat in the bar where Uncle Procopio stopped for a drink?
5. Which of the following was NOT one of the fates that befell the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. List at least three details about Simbodji.
2. What are the duties of Yaya Adelina?
3. What plan is concocted to get the twins and their stepmother out of Ouidah and what happens to that plan?
4. What are some of the theories of what happened to Francisco's money?
5. What happens to the twins?
6. How is Mama Wewe related to the Da Silva family?
7. What is the state of the fort as Francisco finds it upon his arrival in Ouidah?
8. Why is it that the king and Francisco clash over the king's cruelty to the slaves?
9. What does Francisco recall about his life with his mother after the arrival of Manuelzinho?
10. What kinds of businesses does Joaquim have and how does he become a baron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the deaths of Francisco and Dona Luciana. What do the two mean to each other? Why does their relationship develop? What is the result of that relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Francisco expects public recognition for his work, but it never comes. Why? What does this indicate about his business partners?
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important theme of this book? Why is it the most important? Give at least two examples of this theme within the story.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)