|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mama Wewe lying?
2. What is on Papa Agostinho's hat?
3. How do members of the family listen to the presidential speech that evening?
4. What does Manuelzinho say happened to his horse's ear?
5. What does Francisco do when he finds a stray animal on his property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Francisco's reaction when Kenkpe summons him soon after he achieves the throne?
2. Describe the final conversation between Mama Wewe and the professor.
3. Why is Candido da Silva chosen to be the head of the family and what's his fate?
4. Where do the most valuable slaves originate and why is it a problem?
5. How does Francisco's father die?
6. What does Jacinto do to ingratiate himself with the king and what is the result?
7. What is the main thrust of the letters Francisco writes to Joaquim?
8. What does Mama Wewe remember about the professor as he is leaving headed into the forest?
9. What does Francisco do with regards to the condition of the fort and why do the blacks find this so amazing?
10. What is Francisco's relationship with Joaquim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book doesn't focus a great deal on the slave trade though this activity is at the center of the story line. From the book, what is known about the slave trade? Compare that with what is historically accepted as fact about the trade. Do you believe there is a reason the author didn't go into deeper detail?
Essay Topic 2
Francisco expects public recognition for his work, but it never comes. Why? What does this indicate about his business partners?
Essay Topic 3
How does Francisco come to be involved in the slave trade? What is it that forces his partners out of the trade?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)