|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Francisco's wife always wear?
2. What event did Mama Wewe celebrate in 1953?
3. Why does Mama Wewe kiss Cesario while he's dying of cholera?
4. What color are the walls of the Coutinhos' plantation?
5. What does one family member say a cowrie shell was used for in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it that the king and Francisco clash over the king's cruelty to the slaves?
2. What does Jacinto do to ingratiate himself with the king and what is the result?
3. Describe Jacinto and his personality.
4. How do the descendants of Dom Francisco arrive for the mass?
5. Describe a few key features in the house Francisco builds.
6. What demand is made by Lieutenant-Colonel Zossoungbo Patrice and how does the family appease this demand?
7. What is the state of the fort as Francisco finds it upon his arrival in Ouidah?
8. What is the goal of Francisco by the time a Portuguese ship arrives at the shore where Francisco is staying?
9. Who are Umbelina and Leocadia and what are their roles in the life of their father?
10. Where do the most valuable slaves originate and why is it a problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Francisco's childhood. What signs are there that he is deeply disturbed? What might be the reaction to his actions in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Francisco expects public recognition for his work, but it never comes. Why? What does this indicate about his business partners?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Joaquim. What kind of person is he? What do his actions say about him?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)