|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the other boys make fun of Cesario?
(a) Becuase of his name
(b) Because of his limp and crossed eyes
(c) Because of his blond hair and green eyes
(d) Because of his dark curly hair and brown eyes
2. What job is Francisco given at the Coutinhos' plantation?
(a) He's put in charge of procuring slaves
(b) He's put in charge of field workers
(c) He's put in charge of the kitchen
(d) He's put in charge of the stables
3. Why does Mama Wewe choose azure cloth to wrap Cesario's body?
(a) It's the color of a robin's egg
(b) It's the color of clouds
(c) It's the color of the sea
(d) It's the colors Angels wear in Heaven
4. What is the fate of the man who tends the family's cattle?
(a) He dies of thirst
(b) He is taken in by his daughter
(c) He is burned to death during a wildfire
(d) He dies of a heart attack
5. What game does the professor play with Mama Wewe's brother, Antonio?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items was not on the shelf in Dom Francisco's room?
2. What happens to the man who gets his hand caught in a press on the farm?
3. What is the occupation of the man with whom Manuelzinho leaves Francisco after his mother's death?
4. Which of the following is the professor NOT wearing on the day Mama Wewe met him for the first time?
5. What is the disease contracted by the professor's traveling partner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Francisco's life like after he leaves the priest?
2. What does Mama Wewe do in the first years after the professor leaves her behind?
3. What is the goal of Francisco by the time a Portuguese ship arrives at the shore where Francisco is staying?
4. What kind of young man does Isodoro turn out to be and what happens to him?
5. What kinds of businesses does Joaquim have and how does he become a baron?
6. What impact does Joaquim's mother have on Francisco's life?
7. Describe Francisco's wardrobe.
8. Describe the scene in which a photographer is about to take a family portrait.
9. Why is it that the king and Francisco clash over the king's cruelty to the slaves?
10. Describe a few key features in the house Francisco builds.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)