|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herr Raabe want to train Cesario to be?
(a) A radio operator
(b) A bookkeeper
(c) A ship's mate
(d) A trader
2. What is the answer to one of Francisco's favorite riddles about "girls in a castle clothed in yellow?"
(c) A church
3. What is significant about the trunks of the mango trees Mama Wewe passes as she walks with the professor?
(a) They have names carved in them
(b) They've been sawed off
(c) They have handholds for climbing
(d) They've been whitewashed
4. What is the prevalent smell during March at the home of Joaquim's family?
5. What color was the limewash Modeste and Pierre used to paint?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items was not on the shelf in Dom Francisco's room?
2. Which of the following is the professor NOT wearing on the day Mama Wewe met him for the first time?
3. When did Mama Wewe fall in love with the professor?
4. What is the fate of the man who tends the family's cattle?
5. Hhow many rooms are there in Francisco's childhood home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the most valuable slaves originate and why is it a problem?
2. What plan is concocted to get the twins and their stepmother out of Ouidah and what happens to that plan?
3. Describe the scene in which a photographer is about to take a family portrait.
4. What are the duties of Yaya Adelina?
5. Describe the final conversation between Mama Wewe and the professor.
6. Describe the scene Francisco and Manuelzinho encounter as they leave their ranch headed toward the river and their reactions to the trip.
7. Briefly describe the ceremony that takes place before anyone else can eat.
8. What happens after Dr. Ferraez catches yellow fever?
9. What seems to have been the general train of thought being conveyed by the president during his radio broadcast playing at the family eats?
10. What is Francisco's life like after he's left with the priest?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)