|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mama Wewe kiss Cesario while he's dying of cholera?
(a) She hopes that it will comfort him
(b) She knows he's going to die and she wants to die as well
(c) She wants to take the disease from him
(d) She is telling him good-bye
2. How did Mama Benz make the trip from the memorial event?
(a) By carriage
(b) By foot
(c) By boat
(d) In a Mercedes
3. What is the question the family wants answered before Mama Wewe dies?
(a) What is the secret to long life?
(b) Who is your father?
(c) Where did our family originate?
(d) Where are the papers?
4. What is Francisco de Silva's Brazilian name?
(a) Don de Silva
(b) Dom Franklin
(c) Don Siverado
(d) Dom Francisco
5. What color is the cloth Mama Wewe eventually drapes all around her room?
6. How do members of the family listen to the presidential speech that evening?
(a) They go to the presidential palace
(b) On the radio
(c) On the television
(d) It's broadcast from vehicles traveling the streets
7. What does Mama Wewe put in Cesario's hand before he's buried?
(a) A silver ring
(b) A watch
(c) A gold coin
(d) A flashlight
8. What color does Francisco's wife always wear?
9. What do members of the family think about the president's speech?
(a) They believe he's on the right track
(b) They don't really listen
(c) They are angry and upset
(d) They are worried that their lives will soon change
10. What is the occupation of the man with whom Manuelzinho leaves Francisco after his mother's death?
(a) He's a dairy farmer
(b) He's a priest
(c) He's a ferryman
(d) He's a cattle rancher
11. What is the favorite topic of conversation for the family during the feast?
(a) The president's speech
(b) The recipes for the food being served
(c) The current situation in the family business
(d) The loss of Dom Francisco's fortune
12. Why do the other boys make fun of Cesario?
(a) Because of his blond hair and green eyes
(b) Because of his limp and crossed eyes
(c) Because of his dark curly hair and brown eyes
(d) Becuase of his name
13. Hhow many rooms are there in Francisco's childhood home?
14. What scene was depicted on the rattan mat in the bar where Uncle Procopio stopped for a drink?
(a) Giraffes in a Chinese landscape
(b) Elephants in an African landscape
(c) Horses in a river landscape
(d) Dogs in a desert landscape
15. What spice is used on the pigs' heads served at the family feast?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the cat Francisco's first wife is often seen with?
2. What color are the walls of the Coutinhos' plantation?
3. Why is the memorial event almost canceled?
4. What is significant about the trunks of the mango trees Mama Wewe passes as she walks with the professor?
5. What is the name of the man who tends cattle for Francisco's mother?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)