|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are the shutters on Francisco's childhood home?
(a) The book doesn't say
2. What color are the shutters on the house where Mama Wewe is staying?
3. What object is under a glass dome on the mantle of Mama Wewe's home?
(a) A silver ring
(b) A clock
(c) A lock of Cesario's hair
(d) A bust of her father
4. Who wins the game between the professor and Mama Wewe's brother, Antonio?
(b) The professor
(c) It's a tie
5. What scene was depicted on the rattan mat in the bar where Uncle Procopio stopped for a drink?
(a) Elephants in an African landscape
(b) Horses in a river landscape
(c) Giraffes in a Chinese landscape
(d) Dogs in a desert landscape
6. How many tears does Francisco say he sheds for his mother?
(b) Only one
(c) About a million
(d) Too many to count
7. How did Mama Benz make the trip from the memorial event?
(a) In a Mercedes
(b) By carriage
(c) By foot
(d) By boat
8. What is one of Francisco's principal amusements during his time in Bahia?
(a) Following funeral processions
(b) Eating at the outdoor cafes
(c) Dancing with girls he meets in the marketplace
(d) Cooking at a friend's house
9. What is the disease contracted by the professor's traveling partner?
10. What do members of the family think about the president's speech?
(a) They believe he's on the right track
(b) They are angry and upset
(c) They are worried that their lives will soon change
(d) They don't really listen
11. What color was Father Olimpio de Silva's cassock?
12. What does the young girl say is wrong with Mama Wewe?
(a) She's grieving for Francisco
(b) She's had a heart attack
(c) She won't eat
(d) She's been poisoned
13. What color are the walls of the Coutinhos' plantation?
14. What deformity does Manuelzinho have?
(a) He wears a patch over one eye
(b) He is hare-lipped
(c) He limps
(d) He has one hand
15. What does Manuelzinho say happened to his horse's ear?
(a) Bugs ate it off
(b) Manuelzinho himself bit it off
(c) A dog bit it off
(d) The horse was born that way
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mama Wewe lying?
2. Which of the following was NOT one of the fates that befell the family?
3. What name is Helene da Silva better known as?
4. How long has Francisco Manoel da Silva been dead at the time of the gathering to honor his memory?
5. What instrument does Mama Wewe play for the military man, Lieutenant Parisot?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)