|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name is Helene da Silva better known as?
(a) Mama Benz
(b) Madam Benz
(c) Madam de Silva
(d) Mama de Silva
2. Which of the following was NOT one of the fates that befell the family?
(a) Damage from a tornado
(b) Loss of revenue from the slave trade
(c) A mudslide collapsing one wall of the compound
(d) Burning of several houses after a roasting nut caught on fire
3. What was sprinkled over Dom Francisco's bed?
(c) All the above
4. Why does Mama Wewe kiss Cesario while he's dying of cholera?
(a) She knows he's going to die and she wants to die as well
(b) She wants to take the disease from him
(c) She hopes that it will comfort him
(d) She is telling him good-bye
5. Who wins the game between the professor and Mama Wewe's brother, Antonio?
(a) The professor
(d) It's a tie
6. What spice is used on the pigs' heads served at the family feast?
7. What instrument does Mama Wewe play for the military man, Lieutenant Parisot?
(a) A guitar
(b) A flute
(c) A piano
(d) An organ
8. When did Mama Wewe fall in love with the professor?
(a) Exactly ninety-eight years ago
(b) She'd never loved him
(c) When she was nineteen
(d) In 1998
9. How long has Francisco Manoel da Silva been dead at the time of the gathering to honor his memory?
(a) Seventeen months
(b) Seventeen years
(c) Seventeen days
(d) One hundred and seventeen years
10. What scene was depicted on the rattan mat in the bar where Uncle Procopio stopped for a drink?
(a) Dogs in a desert landscape
(b) Giraffes in a Chinese landscape
(c) Horses in a river landscape
(d) Elephants in an African landscape
11. How many days pass during which the professor could not come to shore because of bad weather?
12. How do the boys figure out how to play billiards when they find a billiard table?
(a) They've been taught by pool sharks
(b) They don't
(c) They've watched it on television
(d) An uncle shows them
13. What color was the limewash Modeste and Pierre used to paint?
14. What color are the shutters on Francisco's childhood home?
(d) The book doesn't say
15. What Bible story is Cesario particularly fond of?
(a) David and Goliath
(b) Daniel in the lion's den
(c) Moses and Pharaoh
(d) Noah and the Ark
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Francisco during the drought?
2. What does the young girl say is wrong with Mama Wewe?
3. What color was Father Olimpio de Silva's cassock?
4. How did the family of Francisco Manoel da Silva plan to honor his memory?
5. How do members of the family listen to the presidential speech that evening?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)