|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Uncle Procopio says the family would starve without what crop?
2. What had Francisco de Silva provided to the king of Dahomy?
(a) Rum, whiskey and brandy
(b) Rum, tobacco and guns
(c) Fine material, tobacco and precious gems
(d) Slaves, guns and fine material
3. Why does Mama Wewe choose azure cloth to wrap Cesario's body?
(a) It's the color of the sea
(b) It's the color of clouds
(c) It's the color of a robin's egg
(d) It's the colors Angels wear in Heaven
4. Why does Mama Wewe kiss Cesario while he's dying of cholera?
(a) She knows he's going to die and she wants to die as well
(b) She is telling him good-bye
(c) She hopes that it will comfort him
(d) She wants to take the disease from him
5. What deformity does Manuelzinho have?
(a) He is hare-lipped
(b) He limps
(c) He has one hand
(d) He wears a patch over one eye
6. What was sprinkled over Dom Francisco's bed?
(b) All the above
7. What does Francisco do when he finds a stray animal on his property?
(b) Kills it
(c) Changes the brand to match his own
(d) Returns it to its owner
8. When did Mama Wewe fall in love with the professor?
(a) In 1998
(b) She'd never loved him
(c) Exactly ninety-eight years ago
(d) When she was nineteen
9. Why do the other boys make fun of Cesario?
(a) Becuase of his name
(b) Because of his limp and crossed eyes
(c) Because of his dark curly hair and brown eyes
(d) Because of his blond hair and green eyes
10. What color does Francisco's wife always wear?
11. What does the young girl say is wrong with Mama Wewe?
(a) She's grieving for Francisco
(b) She won't eat
(c) She's been poisoned
(d) She's had a heart attack
12. How did Tupuitapera get its name?
(a) It's named for a small river
(b) It's named for a beautiful woman who died there
(c) It's named for a rock
(d) It's named for a tribe of Indians
13. Which of the following is the professor NOT wearing on the day Mama Wewe met him for the first time?
(a) A jacket with lots of pockets
(c) A veil
(d) A bowler hat
14. What does one family member say a cowrie shell was used for in the United States?
(c) Something to write on
15. What is the question the family wants answered before Mama Wewe dies?
(a) What is the secret to long life?
(b) Where did our family originate?
(c) Who is your father?
(d) Where are the papers?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do members of the family listen to the presidential speech that evening?
2. Which of the following was NOT one of the fates that befell the family?
3. Hhow many rooms are there in Francisco's childhood home?
4. What is the occupation of the man with whom Manuelzinho leaves Francisco after his mother's death?
5. What color are the shutters on Francisco's childhood home?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)