|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is flying overhead?
2. What do they see when they look to the sky?
3. How long has the African veldt been in the nursery?
4. What is the husband’s name?
5. What form of writing is The Veldt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nursery. Why is it a special room? What are the dimensions?
2. What does Dr. McClean suggest that George do to the nursery?
3. What does George’s reaction to Lydia’s fear signify?
4. Lydia says about the nursery: “It’s supposed to help them work off their neuroses in a healthful way.” What does this mean? Has it worked?
5. How do the children react when George and David McClean shut the nursery off?
6. Why is George hesitant to lock up the nursery? What does he fear?
7. How is dinner served to George and Lydia?
8. Explain the following quote: “And again George Hadley was filled with admiration for the mechanical genius who had conceived this room. A miracle of efficiency selling for an absurdly low price. Every home should have one.”
9. How does the nursery change once George and Lydia enter?
10. Why does George feel perspiration on his brown when he is in the nursery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Veldt, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel or story and why The Veldt is or is not successful based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful story should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 3
The Veldt is told from the third person point of view in George’s perspective. Characters are an important part of what makes The Veldt interesting.
Thoroughly discuss and analyze George. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)