|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found on the floor of the nursery?
2. What has the room become a channel for?
3. What do George and Lydia notice about the screams?
4. Complete the sentence: “…the walls began to ________ and recede into __________distance…”?
5. When was The Veldt published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lydia hear that George does not – at least at first?
2. What do the vultures in the African veldt scene indicate?
3. Where are George and Lydia Hadley?
4. Why does George laugh at Lydia once she runs out of the nursery?
5. Why is George hesitant to lock up the nursery? What does he fear?
6. Explain the following quote: “And again George Hadley was filled with admiration for the mechanical genius who had conceived this room. A miracle of efficiency selling for an absurdly low price. Every home should have one.”
7. Describe the nursery. Why is it a special room? What are the dimensions?
8. When George is sitting at dinner, he begins to think about the African veldt in the nursery. What does he realize the children have been thinking of, and why does it make him uneasy?
9. Explain Dr.McClean’s comment that children prefer santas over scrooges.
10. What does George find of his in the corner where the lions where feeding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stories can be plot or character driven, or even both with a balance of the two.
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven or action driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character are developed to the same degree? Why or why not? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Which secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the final scene in The Veldt. David McClean walks into the nursery where the children are sitting having a picnic lunch watching the lions feed.
What are the lions eating? Why is their behavior disturbing? What is significant about Wendy offering Dr.McClean a cup of tea? What does their behavior suggest about this society, or future society?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)