|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. McClean state as one of the original uses of the nursery?
2. What does the wife want the husband to take a look at?
3. What are the children doing when Dr. McClean arrives?
4. What is supposed to help the children “work off their neuroses in a healthful way”?
5. What are the children’s names?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the sensory experience of the nursery. What senses does the nursery appeal to? Use a description from the text as an example.
2. What does Lydia hear that George does not – at least at first?
3. Why does George laugh at Lydia once she runs out of the nursery?
4. What do they see when they all walk into the nursery together so that George can prove Africa is in there?
5. What does Lydia think is wrong with her life?
6. What is odd about the children when Dr.McClean arrives?
7. Why does George feel perspiration on his brown when he is in the nursery?
8. How does Peter accidentally confess that they have, in fact, been conjuring Africa?
9. What do the vultures in the African veldt scene indicate?
10. How is dinner served to George and Lydia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bradbury’s work often makes a political statement about the future of our society.
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Ray Bradbury. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Bradbury's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Bradbury's probable agenda concerning that idea.
Essay Topic 2
George reflects on the magnificence and cost of the nursery. What is the nursery’s purpose?
What does the title of nursery for this room suggest? How accurate is its title? What has it replaced in this home?
Essay Topic 3
The story begins with Lydia’s concern regarding the nursery due to the African veldt, the lions and the reoccurring screams. The nursery reflects the children’s psyche.
What seems to be the problem with the nursery? Why is it concerning to George and Lydia? What does it suggest that the children are thinking about?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)