|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George offer David McClean?
2. What form of writing is The Veldt?
3. What does Dr. McClean think that the room has become more important than?
4. When was The Veldt published?
5. Who says, “I don’t want to do anything but look and listen and smell; what else is there to do”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do they see when they all walk into the nursery together so that George can prove Africa is in there?
2. Why does George laugh at Lydia once she runs out of the nursery?
3. How does Dr. McClean say the nursery feels?
4. Why does Lydia say, “The house is wife and mother now, and nursemaid”?
5. How does Lydia propose to change her feelings of worthlessness?
6. How do Wendy and Peter tell their parents that they will be late for dinner?
7. Why does Lydia want George to look at the nursery?
8. How do the children react when George and David McClean shut the nursery off?
9. Why does Lydia want George to lock up the nursery?
10. Where are George and Lydia Hadley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel or story and why The Veldt is or is not successful based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful story should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 2
The Veldt belongs to the science fiction genre.
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the science fiction genre. What are commonalities between science fiction novels and stories? What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel or short story? What do you think is the difference between a science fiction and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
When Lydia first notices that something is not quite right about the nursery, she wants to call a psychologist. What function do psychologists have in this society?
Why does Lydia feel it is necessary to call a psychologist for the nursery? How are the profession and the machine connected? What will the psychologist analyze? What information can be gained? What is David McClean’s reaction to the nursery? How does he represent the voice of reason?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)