|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lydia sits down in the chair, what does it do?
(a) Puts a blanket on her
(b) It rocks and comforts her
(c) It does nothing; it is a chair
(d) Offers her a cup of coffee
2. What is supposed to help the children “work off their neuroses in a healthful way”?
(a) Their robot friends
(b) Their designated nap times
(c) The nursery
(d) Their special school
3. How long has the African veldt been in the nursery?
(a) Just this morning
(b) A little over a month
(c) About two weeks
(d) One week
4. Who says the following: “But nothing’s too good for our children”?
5. Who comes home late smelling like ozone?
(b) George and Lydia
(c) Max and Ruby
(d) Peter and Wendy
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says: “My God we need a breath of fresh air”?
2. Who does the wife want the husband to call, and for what reason?
3. Where do George and Lydia believe Wendy and Peter are?
4. What does Dr.McClean say that George has become?
5. What is a major theme of The Veldt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the children react when George and David McClean shut the nursery off?
2. Describe the sensory experience of the nursery. What senses does the nursery appeal to? Use a description from the text as an example.
3. In the past, what has David McClean noticed about the nursery?
4. What does Lydia believe the lions have just been doing? How does she know this?
5. How does the nursery change once George and Lydia enter?
6. Explain how the nursery conjures the African veldt.
7. How does Peter threaten his father?
8. Why does Lydia say, “The house is wife and mother now, and nursemaid”?
9. What do they see when they all walk into the nursery together so that George can prove Africa is in there?
10. Why aren’t Wendy and Peter at dinner?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)