|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the nursery transform into as George and Lydia are inspecting it?
(a) A tropical jungle
(b) The Sahara Desert
(c) The Grand Canyon
(d) An African veldt
2. What is Lydia’s initial solution?
(a) To do nothing; the children will throw a fit
(b) To tear the room down
(c) To get rid of the machines
(d) To lock the nursery for a few days until her nerves are settled
3. What does George offer David McClean?
(a) The newspaper
(b) A ride back to his office
(c) A cup of tea
4. When George and David enter the nursery, what are the lions doing?
5. What happens when George and Lydia try to escape the nursery?
(a) Lydia trips and sprains her ankle
(b) An alarms sounds
(c) George finds a bloody tie tied around the doorknob
(d) They cannot because the door is locked
6. Who says, “There’s no Africa in the nursery”?
7. From whose perspective is the story told?
(a) Peter Hadley’s
(b) David McClean’s
(c) George Hadley’s
(d) Lydia Hadley’s
8. What is forgotten, and then quickly produced, at the dinner table?
(c) French fries
(d) Dinner plates
9. What is found on the floor of the nursery?
(a) Dirty dishes
(c) Wendy’s blankie
(d) An old wallet of George’s
10. What is supposed to help the children “work off their neuroses in a healthful way”?
(a) Their robot friends
(b) Their special school
(c) The nursery
(d) Their designated nap times
11. When Mr. and Mrs. Hadley scream, they realize why the screams they heard before sound familiar. Why is this?
(a) The screams sounded familiar because they heard them repeatedly
(b) They were hearing the screams of their children
(c) They were hearing their neighbor’s screams
(d) They were hearing their own screams
12. Who does the wife want the husband to call, and for what reason?
(a) A furnace repairman to fix the heat
(b) A plumber to look at the clogged bathtub
(c) A contractor to stop the leaking roof
(d) A psychologist to take a look at the nursery
13. Who is the author of The Veldt?
(a) Raymond Carver
(b) Vladimir Nabokov
(c) Ray Bradbury
(d) Daniel Quinn
14. Where are the lions going?
(a) To hunt
(b) To the watering hole
(c) To eat
(d) To bed down for night time
15. What concerns George?
(a) George is concerned that the lions were killing and eating, which means that for this to happen his children had thought of death
(b) George is concerned that Lydia doesn’t have enough to do in the house
(c) George is concerned that they don’t have enough money to pay their bills
(d) George is concerned that his children don’t come home for dinner
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George going to do with the nursery?
2. What has happened to the parents at the end of the story?
3. Who calls George and Lydia into the nursery?
4. When Lydia sits down in the chair, what does it do?
5. What do the beds “try” to do?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)