|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is supposed to help the children “work off their neuroses in a healthful way”?
(a) Their special school
(b) Their robot friends
(c) The nursery
(d) Their designated nap times
2. How long will it take to make “good children out of bad”?
(a) It is not necessary because Dr.McClean thinks that they are great as they are
(b) A year
(c) It is an impossible task
(d) Five years
3. What do George and Lydia hear while they are lying in bed?
(a) Lions roaring
(b) The front door opening and closing
(c) Two screams
(d) Their children whispering
4. When was The Veldt published?
5. What does Dr. McClean suggest George and Lydia do to change the path they’re on?
(a) Burn the house down
(b) Nothing. Your life is a like a dream
(c) Nothing. You’re on the right path
(d) Turn everything off. Start new
6. What does Peter admit to?
(a) Re-programming the house systems
(b) Secretly taking the trip to New York
(c) Conjuring up Africa
(d) Sneaking out of the house
7. When George walks into the nursery with the children, what is there?
(a) The African veldt
(b) Rima, and a lovely lush green forest
(c) The Grand Canyon
(d) Nothing; the walls are blank
8. What genre is The Veldt?
(b) Science fiction
(c) Chick lit
9. What does Dr.McClean say that George has become?
(a) A scrooge
(b) An angel
(c) A troll
(d) A santa
10. What does George try to conjure to get rid of the veldt?
(a) Aladdin and his lamp
(b) The prairie grasses of the Great Plains
(c) His favorite childhood fishing spot
(d) Rima and the jungle
11. Who are they going to have come look at Africa (the nursery) the following morning?
(a) David McLean
(b) Gloria Steinem
(c) Ray Bradbury
(d) George Hadley
12. What have Peter and Wendy had for dinner at the carnival?
(a) They have not had dinner yet
(b) Hot dogs and strawberry ice cream
(c) They have had protein smoothies
(d) Bread and butter
13. Who calls George and Lydia into the nursery?
(a) David McClean
(b) Max and Ruby
(c) Peter and Wendy
(d) The nursery calls them
14. What is the wife’s name?
15. Why does George laugh at Lydia?
(a) Because she makes a joke
(b) Because she trips on her way out of the nursery
(c) Because her skin is so far she is burned by the fake sun in the nursery
(d) Because she is afraid of the nursery
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are the children?
2. What does Dr. McClean say children prefer?
3. Who is the author of The Veldt?
4. Why do the parents think the children have been acting funny?
5. What has the room become a channel for?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)