|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who initially believes that the nursery walls are too real?
2. Who calls George and Lydia into the nursery?
(a) Max and Ruby
(b) The nursery calls them
(c) Peter and Wendy
(d) David McClean
3. How long has the African veldt been in the nursery?
(a) About two weeks
(b) Just this morning
(c) A little over a month
(d) One week
4. When Mr. and Mrs. Hadley scream, they realize why the screams they heard before sound familiar. Why is this?
(a) They were hearing their neighbor’s screams
(b) They were hearing the screams of their children
(c) The screams sounded familiar because they heard them repeatedly
(d) They were hearing their own screams
5. What does Dr. McClean say children prefer?
6. What does Wendy offer Dr.McClean?
(a) A cup of tea
(b) A scone and jam
(c) A cup of coffee
(d) A ham and cheese sandwich
7. Why do the parents think the children have been acting funny?
(a) The children are angry with them for working so much
(b) They would not let the children take a rocket to New York
(c) The children no longer talk to them
(d) They have cut back on the children’s allowance
8. What is the husband’s name?
9. What point of view is The Veldt told from?
(a) Second person
(b) Third-person limited
(c) Third-person omniscient
(d) First person
10. Who does George think is spoiled?
(a) Max and Ruby
(c) All of them, the entire family
(d) Peter and Wendy
11. From whose perspective is the story told?
(a) David McClean’s
(b) Peter Hadley’s
(c) Lydia Hadley’s
(d) George Hadley’s
12. What is supposed to help the children “work off their neuroses in a healthful way”?
(a) Their robot friends
(b) Their designated nap times
(c) Their special school
(d) The nursery
13. What is the family’s surname?
14. What concerns George?
(a) George is concerned that Lydia doesn’t have enough to do in the house
(b) George is concerned that they don’t have enough money to pay their bills
(c) George is concerned that the lions were killing and eating, which means that for this to happen his children had thought of death
(d) George is concerned that his children don’t come home for dinner
15. When Lydia sits down in the chair, what does it do?
(a) Offers her a cup of coffee
(b) Puts a blanket on her
(c) It rocks and comforts her
(d) It does nothing; it is a chair
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem that Lydia is beginning to feel with the house?
2. What do George and Lydia notice about the screams?
3. What is Lydia’s initial solution?
4. Who says the following: “But I thought that’s why we bought this house, so we wouldn’t have to do anything?”
5. How long will it take to make “good children out of bad”?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)