|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr.McClean suggest George do to the nursery?
(a) Have the room torn down
(b) Pre-program it
(c) Lock it up
(d) He does not suggest he do anything with the nursery
2. What are the dimensions of the nursery?
(a) 20 feet across X 40 feet long X 30 feet high
(b) 10 feet across X 15 feet long X 12 feet high
(c) 40 feet across X 40 feet long X 10 feet high
(d) 40 feet across X 40 feet long X 30 feet high
3. Who comes home late smelling like ozone?
(b) Peter and Wendy
(c) Max and Ruby
(d) George and Lydia
4. Who is the author of The Veldt?
(a) Vladimir Nabokov
(b) Raymond Carver
(c) Daniel Quinn
(d) Ray Bradbury
5. Who calls George and Lydia into the nursery?
(a) Peter and Wendy
(b) The nursery calls them
(c) David McClean
(d) Max and Ruby
6. What is the wife’s name?
7. When Mr. and Mrs. Hadley scream, they realize why the screams they heard before sound familiar. Why is this?
(a) They were hearing the screams of their children
(b) They were hearing their own screams
(c) They were hearing their neighbor’s screams
(d) The screams sounded familiar because they heard them repeatedly
8. What do George and Lydia hear while they are lying in bed?
(a) Their children whispering
(b) The front door opening and closing
(c) Lions roaring
(d) Two screams
9. What happens when George and Lydia try to escape the nursery?
(a) George finds a bloody tie tied around the doorknob
(b) An alarms sounds
(c) Lydia trips and sprains her ankle
(d) They cannot because the door is locked
10. Who threatens George?
(b) The nursery
11. Who initially suggests that the family take a vacation and “shut the house off”?
12. What do the beds “try” to do?
(a) Rock Lydia and George to sleep
(b) Nothing; they are just beds
(c) Tell them that they didn’t hear anything
(d) Wake them up
13. What does the wife want the husband to take a look at?
(a) The furnace
(b) The nursery
(c) The stove
(d) The front door
14. This is an example of what type of figurative language: “…and the yellow of them was in your eyes like the yellow of an exquisite French tapestry…”?
(b) A simile
(c) A metaphor
15. How far away are they when the nursery lights come on?
(a) Five feet
(b) Ten feet
(c) One foot
(d) They turn on at the threshold
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family plan on going for vacation?
2. What is flying overhead?
3. The following morning, what does Peter ask his father?
4. What has just been eating in the nursery?
5. What does George try to conjure to get rid of the veldt?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)