|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the dimensions of the nursery?
(a) 40 feet across X 40 feet long X 30 feet high
(b) 40 feet across X 40 feet long X 10 feet high
(c) 10 feet across X 15 feet long X 12 feet high
(d) 20 feet across X 40 feet long X 30 feet high
2. What concerns George?
(a) George is concerned that they don’t have enough money to pay their bills
(b) George is concerned that the lions were killing and eating, which means that for this to happen his children had thought of death
(c) George is concerned that Lydia doesn’t have enough to do in the house
(d) George is concerned that his children don’t come home for dinner
3. What has happened to the parents at the end of the story?
(a) George and Lydia pack up their children and leave the house forever
(b) George and Lydia have been killed by lions by the will of their children
(c) Nothing happens, because despite Dr.McClean’s suggestions no changes are made
(d) The parents take the family on a vacation to Iowa
4. How do the children tell their parents that they won’t be home for dinner?
(a) They called on a cellular phone
(b) They just come home late
(c) They “televised” home to say they’d be late
(d) They transported an image of themselves
5. What form of writing is The Veldt?
(a) A poem
(b) A short story
(c) A novel
(d) A novella
6. What is David McClean?
(a) A machinist
(b) A psychologist
(c) A computer repairman
(d) A physician
7. How long has the African veldt been in the nursery?
(a) A little over a month
(b) One week
(c) About two weeks
(d) Just this morning
8. Dinner is being prepared for a family of ________.
9. Who initially believes that the nursery walls are too real?
10. What is supposed to help the children “work off their neuroses in a healthful way”?
(a) Their designated nap times
(b) Their robot friends
(c) The nursery
(d) Their special school
11. Who threatens George?
(d) The nursery
12. What doesn’t Dr. McClean think “feels good”?
(a) George’s emotions
(b) The carpet under his feet
(c) The emotion of the paint colors the Hadley’s chose
(d) The nursery
13. Who says: “My God we need a breath of fresh air”?
14. What does Dr. McClean suggest George and Lydia do to change the path they’re on?
(a) Nothing. Your life is a like a dream
(b) Turn everything off. Start new
(c) Burn the house down
(d) Nothing. You’re on the right path
15. What turns on and off as they walk through the house?
(a) The heat
(b) Television walls
(d) The lights
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr.McClean suggest George do to the nursery?
2. Who is the author of The Veldt?
3. What does Dr. McClean say children prefer?
4. Who comes home late smelling like ozone?
5. When George walks into the nursery with the children, what is there?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)