|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is “busy humming it to itself” in the opening paragraphs?
(a) The nursery
(b) The baby
(c) The stove
(d) The robot maid
2. Who calls George and Lydia into the nursery?
(a) David McClean
(b) Max and Ruby
(c) Peter and Wendy
(d) The nursery calls them
3. What does the wife want the husband to take a look at?
(a) The stove
(b) The front door
(c) The nursery
(d) The furnace
4. From whose perspective is the story told?
(a) George Hadley’s
(b) Lydia Hadley’s
(c) Peter Hadley’s
(d) David McClean’s
5. When was The Veldt published?
6. What is found on the floor of the nursery?
(a) Wendy’s blankie
(c) Dirty dishes
(d) An old wallet of George’s
7. Who says the following: “But I thought that’s why we bought this house, so we wouldn’t have to do anything?”
8. What do George and Lydia hear while they are lying in bed?
(a) The front door opening and closing
(b) Lions roaring
(c) Two screams
(d) Their children whispering
9. What is the problem that Lydia is beginning to feel with the house?
(a) she and George are becoming unnecessary
(b) That it is too cold with all of the machines
(c) She feels that the house is too expensive
(d) That it no longer does what she expects it to
10. Who does George think is spoiled?
(a) Max and Ruby
(b) All of them, the entire family
(c) Peter and Wendy
11. What is a major theme of The Veldt?
(a) Technology replacing human connection
(b) Living in poverty
(c) War between two families
(d) Finding true love
12. What concerns George?
(a) George is concerned that Lydia doesn’t have enough to do in the house
(b) George is concerned that they don’t have enough money to pay their bills
(c) George is concerned that his children don’t come home for dinner
(d) George is concerned that the lions were killing and eating, which means that for this to happen his children had thought of death
13. Who initially suggests that the family take a vacation and “shut the house off”?
14. What happens when George and Lydia try to escape the nursery?
(a) Lydia trips and sprains her ankle
(b) George finds a bloody tie tied around the doorknob
(c) They cannot because the door is locked
(d) An alarms sounds
15. How far away are they when the nursery lights come on?
(a) Five feet
(b) They turn on at the threshold
(c) One foot
(d) Ten feet
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are the children?
2. What genre is The Veldt?
3. When George walks into the nursery with the children, what is there?
4. Why do the parents think the children have been acting funny?
5. What are their bedrooms called?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)