|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the last person that had given Jondalar the same satisfaction?
2. What holds a part of Ayla's spirit?
3. What did Jondalar wish?
4. What had the lionesses brought down?
5. What did cave lions do during the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major problem in communication occurred in Chapter 23?
2. What two things had Ayla done that astounded Jondalar?
3. Why was Thonolan so stressed?
4. How did Dolando view flatheads and why did this shock Jondalar?
5. Why did Ayla's cave seem more lonely at this point than when she had first made it her home?
6. Why was Jondalar concerned that he might not bring Ayla Pleasure?
7. Why did Ayla leave Whinney?
8. What did Jondalar say about Ayla's donii?
9. What does Ayla explain about the cave lion totem?
10. What is the difference between Creb and the Zelandoni, and how did Ayla explain it to Jondalar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jondalar frequently pictures Ayla as a donii, or spirit of a Goddess. How does the spirituality of the people portrayed in the novel play a valid role in every day life for these people? Do you think humanity is better or worse off for the loss of this spirituality? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jondalar's inability to love. What was likely responsible for this? Do you believe in the concept of one true love for each person? Why or why not? What is the author's position on true love? How can the reader tell?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships between Clan and Others. How does each pursue the other? Provide reasons for this tension. How do people today still struggle with similar issues, and why?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)