|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jondalar wish?
2. What did Jondalar think of naming the colt?
3. Who had come up the mountain to fetch Thonolan?
4. How did Ayla kill the bison?
5. What did Ayla use that wasn't a part of Jondalar's kit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What adaptive techniques allowed the chamois to cling to rocks?
2. What thought pattern lead to Ayla's riding of the huge cave lion?
3. What did Thonolan learn from Jetamio?
4. What is the difference between Creb and the Zelandoni, and how did Ayla explain it to Jondalar?
5. What was the hardest concept for Jondalar to comprehend regarding the flatheads?
6. Why did Ayla's cave seem more lonely at this point than when she had first made it her home?
7. Why did Ayla leave Whinney?
8. Why had Ayla been embarrassed?
9. What did Jondalar say about Ayla's donii?
10. What argument did Ayla make for the people of the Clan not being animals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the frequent innovation done by the characters throughout the novel. Was innovation likely to occur so fast? Why or why not? What kinds of situations would lead to innovative ways to solve a problem? How is Ayla's behavior indicative of this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the similarities in the relationships of Jondalar and Thonolan. In what ways were the relationships different? What does the reader believe will unfold for Jondalar and Ayla in the future? Do you think their relationship will continue to parallel Thonolan's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Hunting is a practice that both men and women can pursue without hindrance amongst the others, but with significant damage done to reputation in and amongst the Clan. Suggest possible reasons for this change in behavior between the two different kinds of people.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)