|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Pleasure that Ayla got from Broud?
2. What was chamomile for?
3. How did Jondalar feel about Serenio?
4. What made Whinney nervous?
5. What were the sounds Ayla used made for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major difference did Ayla note in Jondalar's attitude towards the clan in Chapter 26?
2. What does Ayla explain about the cave lion totem?
3. What is the difference between Creb and the Zelandoni, and how did Ayla explain it to Jondalar?
4. What major problem in communication occurred in Chapter 23?
5. How did Dolando view flatheads and why did this shock Jondalar?
6. Why was Thonolan so stressed?
7. What two things had Ayla done that astounded Jondalar?
8. What did Jondalar say about Ayla's donii?
9. What innovation did Ayla make since Whinney had returned and what was the reason for this innovation?
10. What caused Ayla much laughter following the onager kill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jondalar's inability to love. What was likely responsible for this? Do you believe in the concept of one true love for each person? Why or why not? What is the author's position on true love? How can the reader tell?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why Ayla returned Whinney to a herd. Why was this important to Ayla? How did it mark the young woman's astounding maturity? Why would it have been harder for Ayla than for a person of today's age?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships between Clan and Others. How does each pursue the other? Provide reasons for this tension. How do people today still struggle with similar issues, and why?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)