|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jondalar think of naming the colt?
2. Who had been killed in an earthquake?
3. How did the woman appear to Jondalar?
4. What did Jondalar realize Ayla was trying to ask of him?
5. How did Ayla kill the bison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jondalar's outburst regarding, and what was the reason for it?
2. What two things had Ayla done that astounded Jondalar?
3. What is the difference between Creb and the Zelandoni, and how did Ayla explain it to Jondalar?
4. What does Ayla explain about the cave lion totem?
5. What was the hardest concept for Jondalar to comprehend regarding the flatheads?
6. What innovation did Ayla make since Whinney had returned and what was the reason for this innovation?
7. What did the Clan consider as improper and why did Ayla question it? To what conclusion did Ayla come regarding this?
8. How did Dolando view flatheads and why did this shock Jondalar?
9. What puzzled Jondalar regarding Ayla?
10. What did Jondalar say about Ayla's donii?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why wouldn't Serenio mate Jondalar? What were her reasons? Were they valid? Why or why not? What was Jondalar's reaction to her refusal?
Essay Topic 2
Hunting is a practice that both men and women can pursue without hindrance amongst the others, but with significant damage done to reputation in and amongst the Clan. Suggest possible reasons for this change in behavior between the two different kinds of people.
Essay Topic 3
Jondalar frequently pictures Ayla as a donii, or spirit of a Goddess. How does the spirituality of the people portrayed in the novel play a valid role in every day life for these people? Do you think humanity is better or worse off for the loss of this spirituality? Why?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)