|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jondalar's voice frustrate Ayla?
2. How did Ayla kill the bison?
3. What did Jondalar notice in the back of the cave?
4. What does Ayla ask Jondalar if he would like to try?
5. How old was Thonolan at his matrimonial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jondalar's outburst regarding, and what was the reason for it?
2. What major difference did Ayla note in Jondalar's attitude towards the clan in Chapter 26?
3. Why was Thonolan so stressed?
4. Why had Ayla been embarrassed?
5. Why was Marthona so upset about Jondalar's decision to leave with Thonolan?
6. Why did Ayla leave Whinney?
7. What did Jondalar admire about Ayla, and what had it taken to show him?
8. What did Thonolan learn from Jetamio?
9. What adaptive techniques allowed the chamois to cling to rocks?
10. What was the hardest concept for Jondalar to comprehend regarding the flatheads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jondalar's inability to love. What was likely responsible for this? Do you believe in the concept of one true love for each person? Why or why not? What is the author's position on true love? How can the reader tell?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the similarities in the relationships of Jondalar and Thonolan. In what ways were the relationships different? What does the reader believe will unfold for Jondalar and Ayla in the future? Do you think their relationship will continue to parallel Thonolan's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jondalar's gradual change in perception regarding the flatheads. What likely finished the transitional process between animals to humans in Jondalar's mind, and what outside source responsible for this shift? What does this change in perception foreshadow what will occur later on?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)