|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the woman appear to Jondalar?
2. Why had Whinney kicked Baby?
3. What feelings did Ayla get while being unencumbered?
4. Why did Jondalar give away half the fish?
5. What animal does the chamois resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ayla leave Whinney?
2. What adaptive techniques allowed the chamois to cling to rocks?
3. What two things had Ayla done that astounded Jondalar?
4. What is the difference between Creb and the Zelandoni, and how did Ayla explain it to Jondalar?
5. What did the Clan consider as improper and why did Ayla question it? To what conclusion did Ayla come regarding this?
6. What caused Ayla much laughter following the onager kill?
7. What did Jondalar say about Ayla's donii?
8. What was Jondalar's outburst regarding, and what was the reason for it?
9. Why wouldn't Jondalar stop loving Ayla?
10. Why was Marthona so upset about Jondalar's decision to leave with Thonolan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jondalar frequently pictures Ayla as a donii, or spirit of a Goddess. How does the spirituality of the people portrayed in the novel play a valid role in every day life for these people? Do you think humanity is better or worse off for the loss of this spirituality? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Jean M. Auel may have decided to kill Thonolan off. What purpose did this destruction of a character play upon the developing plot of the book? Was this death necessary for plot development? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ayla's relationship with Whinney. How did this relationship likely bring her through some tough times? Is Ayla's emotional attachment understandable, considering her situation? How is Ayla's relationship with Whinney different from present day relationships with horses?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)