|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the cave lion to back into Ayla's lap?
2. What holds a part of Ayla's spirit?
3. Who was the last person that had given Jondalar the same satisfaction?
4. What does Jondalar want to do with Ayla?
5. How old was Thonolan at his matrimonial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Clan consider as improper and why did Ayla question it? To what conclusion did Ayla come regarding this?
2. What puzzled Jondalar regarding Ayla?
3. What argument did Ayla make for the people of the Clan not being animals?
4. What did Jondalar admire about Ayla, and what had it taken to show him?
5. What main reason did Serenio give Jondalar to not mate him?
6. What was the hardest concept for Jondalar to comprehend regarding the flatheads?
7. What did Jondalar consider about Ayla, and what brought about this decision?
8. What major problem in communication occurred in Chapter 23?
9. Why did Ayla become so upset?
10. What major difference did Ayla note in Jondalar's attitude towards the clan in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ayla's relationship with Whinney. How did this relationship likely bring her through some tough times? Is Ayla's emotional attachment understandable, considering her situation? How is Ayla's relationship with Whinney different from present day relationships with horses?
Essay Topic 2
Why wouldn't Serenio mate Jondalar? What were her reasons? Were they valid? Why or why not? What was Jondalar's reaction to her refusal?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons why Ayla returned Whinney to a herd. Why was this important to Ayla? How did it mark the young woman's astounding maturity? Why would it have been harder for Ayla than for a person of today's age?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)