|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what point in the year did Baby's absences become longer?
2. How did Ayla express gratitude for the awl?
3. What did Jondalar have to prove to himself before he would mate Serenio?
4. What did Ayla perceive as the greatest of the Cave Lion's gifts?
5. Why did Jondalar believe what Ayla said regarding the flatheads?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ayla leave Whinney?
2. What was Jondalar's outburst regarding, and what was the reason for it?
3. What caused Ayla much laughter following the onager kill?
4. Why had Ayla been embarrassed?
5. What major problem in communication occurred in Chapter 23?
6. What did Thonolan learn from Jetamio?
7. What major difference did Ayla note in Jondalar's attitude towards the clan in Chapter 26?
8. Why did Ayla's cave seem more lonely at this point than when she had first made it her home?
9. What language did Jondalar teach Ayla, and what was the problem with it?
10. Why was Thonolan so stressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Thonolan's infatuation with Jetamio. Was their relationship a healthy one? Why or why not? In what ways might their relationship have been better for the both of them, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jondalar's inability to love. What was likely responsible for this? Do you believe in the concept of one true love for each person? Why or why not? What is the author's position on true love? How can the reader tell?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships between Clan and Others. How does each pursue the other? Provide reasons for this tension. How do people today still struggle with similar issues, and why?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)