|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jondalar feel about Serenio?
2. What had the lionesses brought down?
3. What did a donii with a likeness do?
4. What does Ayla ask Jondalar if he would like to try?
5. What rule must never be forgotten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Ayla much laughter following the onager kill?
2. What innovation did Ayla make since Whinney had returned and what was the reason for this innovation?
3. What was Jondalar's outburst regarding, and what was the reason for it?
4. What main reason did Serenio give Jondalar to not mate him?
5. What major problem in communication occurred in Chapter 23?
6. What did Thonolan learn from Jetamio?
7. What did Jondalar admire about Ayla, and what had it taken to show him?
8. What argument did Ayla make for the people of the Clan not being animals?
9. Why wouldn't Jondalar stop loving Ayla?
10. What does Ayla explain about the cave lion totem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Thonolan's infatuation with Jetamio. Was their relationship a healthy one? Why or why not? In what ways might their relationship have been better for the both of them, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Jondalar frequently pictures Ayla as a donii, or spirit of a Goddess. How does the spirituality of the people portrayed in the novel play a valid role in every day life for these people? Do you think humanity is better or worse off for the loss of this spirituality? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the frequent innovation done by the characters throughout the novel. Was innovation likely to occur so fast? Why or why not? What kinds of situations would lead to innovative ways to solve a problem? How is Ayla's behavior indicative of this?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)