|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Thonolan's drive to keep moving tainted with?
2. What was Ayla's first effort to communicate, and what was the first thing she managed to communicate?
3. How did Ayla kill the bison?
4. On what did survival depend?
5. What made Whinney nervous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major difference did Ayla note in Jondalar's attitude towards the clan in Chapter 26?
2. Why had Ayla been embarrassed?
3. What language did Jondalar teach Ayla, and what was the problem with it?
4. What did Thonolan learn from Jetamio?
5. What caused Ayla much laughter following the onager kill?
6. What did Jondalar admire about Ayla, and what had it taken to show him?
7. What is the difference between Creb and the Zelandoni, and how did Ayla explain it to Jondalar?
8. What major problem in communication occurred in Chapter 23?
9. What did Jondalar consider about Ayla, and what brought about this decision?
10. What does Ayla explain about the cave lion totem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the similarities in the relationships of Jondalar and Thonolan. In what ways were the relationships different? What does the reader believe will unfold for Jondalar and Ayla in the future? Do you think their relationship will continue to parallel Thonolan's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference in status between women of the Clan and women of the Others. How are merits determined and rank established? What are some perks of high rank? How can an individual become a high ranking member in both societies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons why Ayla returned Whinney to a herd. Why was this important to Ayla? How did it mark the young woman's astounding maturity? Why would it have been harder for Ayla than for a person of today's age?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)