|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way did Jondalar surprise Ayla, and enjoy the surprise he had given her?
2. Why had Whinney kicked Baby?
3. What interesting characteristic did Ayla note about Jondalar?
4. What did Jondalar call the lion with elongated canines?
5. What does Ayla ask Jondalar if he would like to try?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jondalar's outburst regarding, and what was the reason for it?
2. Why wouldn't Jondalar stop loving Ayla?
3. What did Jondalar say about Ayla's donii?
4. What two things had Ayla done that astounded Jondalar?
5. Why did Ayla leave Whinney?
6. What major problem in communication occurred in Chapter 23?
7. What thought pattern lead to Ayla's riding of the huge cave lion?
8. What argument did Ayla make for the people of the Clan not being animals?
9. Why was Marthona so upset about Jondalar's decision to leave with Thonolan?
10. What did Jondalar admire about Ayla, and what had it taken to show him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Jean M. Auel may have decided to kill Thonolan off. What purpose did this destruction of a character play upon the developing plot of the book? Was this death necessary for plot development? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why wouldn't Serenio mate Jondalar? What were her reasons? Were they valid? Why or why not? What was Jondalar's reaction to her refusal?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ayla's relationship with Baby. How does it differ from her relationship to the horse? What was important about this relationship, and how did it serve Ayla later? What role does Baby play in the plot development?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)