|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ayla's first observation regarding the wild cave lion cubs?
2. At what point in the year did Baby's absences become longer?
3. What hadn't Ayla done?
4. What did a donii with a likeness do?
5. What did the two stones on his shoulders display to Ayla?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jondalar's outburst regarding, and what was the reason for it?
2. What did Jondalar admire about Ayla, and what had it taken to show him?
3. What did the Clan consider as improper and why did Ayla question it? To what conclusion did Ayla come regarding this?
4. Why did Ayla's cave seem more lonely at this point than when she had first made it her home?
5. What did Jondalar say about Ayla's donii?
6. What major difference did Ayla note in Jondalar's attitude towards the clan in Chapter 26?
7. What language did Jondalar teach Ayla, and what was the problem with it?
8. What two things had Ayla done that astounded Jondalar?
9. Why wouldn't Jondalar stop loving Ayla?
10. Why did Ayla leave Whinney?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship between Ayla, Baby and Whinney. How is this similar to a multi-pet household? In what ways was Ayla's relationship different from anything that is around in present day? What specific traits are important to note regarding the domesticated animals?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jondalar's gradual change in perception regarding the flatheads. What likely finished the transitional process between animals to humans in Jondalar's mind, and what outside source responsible for this shift? What does this change in perception foreshadow what will occur later on?
Essay Topic 3
Jondalar frequently pictures Ayla as a donii, or spirit of a Goddess. How does the spirituality of the people portrayed in the novel play a valid role in every day life for these people? Do you think humanity is better or worse off for the loss of this spirituality? Why?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)