|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Whinney kicked Baby?
2. What did Jondalar call the lion with elongated canines?
3. What did Jondalar wish?
4. What offer does Ayla make regarding the colt?
5. What was the extent of the cub's injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the hardest concept for Jondalar to comprehend regarding the flatheads?
2. What main reason did Serenio give Jondalar to not mate him?
3. Why did Ayla become so upset?
4. What thought pattern lead to Ayla's riding of the huge cave lion?
5. What did Jondalar consider about Ayla, and what brought about this decision?
6. What two things had Ayla done that astounded Jondalar?
7. How did Dolando view flatheads and why did this shock Jondalar?
8. Why was Marthona so upset about Jondalar's decision to leave with Thonolan?
9. What did Thonolan learn from Jetamio?
10. What innovation did Ayla make since Whinney had returned and what was the reason for this innovation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the similarities in the relationships of Jondalar and Thonolan. In what ways were the relationships different? What does the reader believe will unfold for Jondalar and Ayla in the future? Do you think their relationship will continue to parallel Thonolan's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ayla struggles to find her place in life, plagued by multiple insecurities and misconceptions. How is this struggle similar to that of women everywhere? What kinds of things can women learn from Ayla?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of herbal medicines throughout THE VALLEY OF HORSES. Why is herbalism important to Ayla's day to day life? What kinds of situations might never have come to pass if Ayla's skill was less than satisfactory? Why would this have been the case?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)