|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Jondalar spend the night with?
2. What thickens the stew that Tholie brought with her?
3. What do the Shamudoi hunt?
4. What did Jondalar make for Thonolan after he was gored?
5. What animal had injured Thonolan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What main reason did Serenio give Jondalar to not mate him?
2. How did Jondalar explain the word 'love' to Ayla?
3. What did the Clan consider as improper and why did Ayla question it? To what conclusion did Ayla come regarding this?
4. What did the old woman throw on the ground, and how did Jondalar react to it?
5. What things did Ayla need to survive the winter?
6. What was the hardest concept for Jondalar to comprehend regarding the flatheads?
7. How did Dolando view flatheads and why did this shock Jondalar?
8. What caused Ayla much laughter following the onager kill?
9. Why didn't Ayla get mad when Whinney ran and dumped all her things?
10. What puzzled Jondalar regarding Ayla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jondalar's gradual change in perception regarding the flatheads. What likely finished the transitional process between animals to humans in Jondalar's mind, and what outside source responsible for this shift? What does this change in perception foreshadow what will occur later on?
Essay Topic 2
Ayla struggles to find her place in life, plagued by multiple insecurities and misconceptions. How is this struggle similar to that of women everywhere? What kinds of things can women learn from Ayla?
Essay Topic 3
Consider Ayla's fears regarding the Others. Are her fears well founded? Why or why not? What is unlikely to happen to Ayla that the Clan often became the victims of?
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)