|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Thonolan miss?
2. What did Ayla like to wear for comfort?
3. What animal did Jondalar see that he thought there would be no point to hunting?
4. When did Ayla realize that Whinney had gone where Ayla wanted her to go?
5. What kind of berries did Ayla come across?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stroke of innovation allowed Ayla to bring down a horse on her own?
2. Who was Iza and what had she told Ayla on the night that she died?
3. Why did Jondalar take special attention in making sure young women were Pleasured in their First Rites?
4. What transformation did Jetamio undergo when she smiled, and what impression did Jondalar get from that smile?
5. Why was there always someone present when a young woman lost her virginity, or rather, had her First Rites?
6. What did the old woman throw on the ground, and how did Jondalar react to it?
7. What had Broud done, and how was it a sign of an immature leader?
8. Why did Ayla take in the baby horse?
9. What things did Ayla need to survive the winter?
10. In what ways did Whinney help Ayla accomplish the reindeer hunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Jean M. Auel may have decided to kill Thonolan off. What purpose did this destruction of a character play upon the developing plot of the book? Was this death necessary for plot development? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Thonolan's infatuation with Jetamio. Was their relationship a healthy one? Why or why not? In what ways might their relationship have been better for the both of them, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons why Ayla returned Whinney to a herd. Why was this important to Ayla? How did it mark the young woman's astounding maturity? Why would it have been harder for Ayla than for a person of today's age?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)