|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Iza?
2. What had Broud done to hurt Ayla?
3. What were plantain leaves good for?
4. Why can't Jondalar mate Joplaya?
5. What stone did every person in the Clan carry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had made Ayla finally glad of the presence of the hyenas?
2. Why did Jondalar take special attention in making sure young women were Pleasured in their First Rites?
3. What did the old woman throw on the ground, and how did Jondalar react to it?
4. Why did Ayla take in the baby horse?
5. What idea struck Ayla?
6. What things did Ayla need to survive the winter?
7. What was Jondalar so worried about regarding Thonolan's approach of the rhino?
8. What struck Ayla as wrong, and how did she feel when she had figured it out?
9. What advantages did Ayla have that other clan women did not?
10. Why were the gifts from others not really anonymous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jondalar's inability to love. What was likely responsible for this? Do you believe in the concept of one true love for each person? Why or why not? What is the author's position on true love? How can the reader tell?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jondalar's gradual change in perception regarding the flatheads. What likely finished the transitional process between animals to humans in Jondalar's mind, and what outside source responsible for this shift? What does this change in perception foreshadow what will occur later on?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ayla's relationship with Whinney. How did this relationship likely bring her through some tough times? Is Ayla's emotional attachment understandable, considering her situation? How is Ayla's relationship with Whinney different from present day relationships with horses?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)