|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Great Mother River called today?
2. Who was the woman that Jondalar was seeing?
3. Who antagonizes the flatheads?
4. What was Ayla's fear regarding the Others?
5. What smell brought an instinctive fear to the horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things led Jondalar to believe the flatheads were closer to human than it had been rumored?
2. What thought pattern lead to Ayla's riding of the huge cave lion?
3. How did Ayla react to the valley?
4. What adaptive techniques allowed the chamois to cling to rocks?
5. Why was Darvo so happy when Thonolan had decided to mate Jetamio and stay?
6. Why did Jondalar panic in regard to the blood-soaked tunic?
7. What argument did Ayla make for the people of the Clan not being animals?
8. Why was Jondalar concerned that he might not bring Ayla Pleasure?
9. What did Thonolan learn from Jetamio?
10. What transformation did Jetamio undergo when she smiled, and what impression did Jondalar get from that smile?
Essay Topic 1
Ayla struggles to find her place in life, plagued by multiple insecurities and misconceptions. How is this struggle similar to that of women everywhere? What kinds of things can women learn from Ayla?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ayla's relationship with Whinney. How did this relationship likely bring her through some tough times? Is Ayla's emotional attachment understandable, considering her situation? How is Ayla's relationship with Whinney different from present day relationships with horses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jondalar's gradual change in perception regarding the flatheads. What likely finished the transitional process between animals to humans in Jondalar's mind, and what outside source responsible for this shift? What does this change in perception foreshadow what will occur later on?
This section contains 1,679 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)