|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the young, vivacious woman that Jondalar was interested in?
2. What color was the soil at the edge of the water?
3. When did Ayla realize that Whinney had gone where Ayla wanted her to go?
4. What was Creb's favorite food?
5. What were the traveling cakes made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jondalar panic in regard to the blood-soaked tunic?
2. What events led to Ayla making fire with flint and iron pyrite?
3. What did the old woman throw on the ground, and how did Jondalar react to it?
4. What things led Jondalar to believe the flatheads were closer to human than it had been rumored?
5. Why was Darvo so happy when Thonolan had decided to mate Jetamio and stay?
6. What advantages did Ayla have that other clan women did not?
7. What had Broud done, and how was it a sign of an immature leader?
8. What kind of relationship did Jondalar and Jetamio start out with? What did it deepen into and how?
9. What struck Ayla as wrong, and how did she feel when she had figured it out?
10. What things did Ayla need to survive the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ayla's relationship with Baby. How does it differ from her relationship to the horse? What was important about this relationship, and how did it serve Ayla later? What role does Baby play in the plot development?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Thonolan's infatuation with Jetamio. Was their relationship a healthy one? Why or why not? In what ways might their relationship have been better for the both of them, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the difference in status between women of the Clan and women of the Others. How are merits determined and rank established? What are some perks of high rank? How can an individual become a high ranking member in both societies?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)