|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wood makes good boats?
2. What was the tree called that was adorned with offerings?
3. What is the phrase that people say?
4. What do the Shamudoi hunt?
5. What innovation allowed Ayla to move the deer and her newest acquisition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major difference did Ayla note in Jondalar's attitude towards the clan in Chapter 26?
2. What did Jondalar admire about Ayla, and what had it taken to show him?
3. What is the difference between Thonolan and Jondalar?
4. What did the old woman throw on the ground, and how did Jondalar react to it?
5. Why was Jondalar concerned that he might not bring Ayla Pleasure?
6. What had made Ayla finally glad of the presence of the hyenas?
7. What animal had used the cave before Ayla, and how did she know? How did she react to this knowledge?
8. What adaptive techniques allowed the chamois to cling to rocks?
9. Why were the gifts from others not really anonymous?
10. Why was Thonolan so stressed?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationships between Clan and Others. How does each pursue the other? Provide reasons for this tension. How do people today still struggle with similar issues, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jondalar's inability to love. What was likely responsible for this? Do you believe in the concept of one true love for each person? Why or why not? What is the author's position on true love? How can the reader tell?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ayla's preconceptions about the Others. Why did she fear meeting them, on some level? Why was she eager to meet them? What do the Other's represent to Ayla, on a deeper level?
This section contains 1,647 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)