Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Great Mother River called today?
2. Who was the woman that Jondalar was seeing?
3. Who antagonizes the flatheads?
4. What was Ayla's fear regarding the Others?
5. What smell brought an instinctive fear to the horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things led Jondalar to believe the flatheads were closer to human than it had been rumored?
2. What thought pattern lead to Ayla's riding of the huge cave lion?
3. How did Ayla react to the valley?
4. What adaptive techniques allowed the chamois to cling to rocks?
5. Why was Darvo so happy when Thonolan had decided to mate Jetamio and stay?
6. Why did Jondalar panic in regard to the blood-soaked tunic?
7. What argument did Ayla make for the people of the Clan not being animals?
8. Why was Jondalar concerned that he might not bring Ayla Pleasure?
9. What did Thonolan learn from Jetamio?
10. What transformation did Jetamio undergo when she smiled, and what impression did Jondalar get from that smile?
Discuss the reasons why Ayla returned Whinney to a herd. Why was this important to Ayla? How did it mark the young woman's astounding maturity? Why would it have been harder for Ayla than for a person of today's age?
Discuss the frequent innovation done by the characters throughout the novel. Was innovation likely to occur so fast? Why or why not? What kinds of situations would lead to innovative ways to solve a problem? How is Ayla's behavior indicative of this?
Why wouldn't Serenio mate Jondalar? What were her reasons? Were they valid? Why or why not? What was Jondalar's reaction to her refusal?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)