|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Jondalar supposed to mate at the Summer Meeting?
2. Who had been the Clan's master toolmaker?
3. Who antagonizes the flatheads?
4. Who was the woman that Jondalar was seeing?
5. What was the little foal more afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jondalar take special attention in making sure young women were Pleasured in their First Rites?
2. In what ways did Whinney help Ayla accomplish the reindeer hunt?
3. How did Ayla react to the valley?
4. What was Jondalar so worried about regarding Thonolan's approach of the rhino?
5. What did the old woman throw on the ground, and how did Jondalar react to it?
6. Why did Thonolan want to give up?
7. What things led Jondalar to believe the flatheads were closer to human than it had been rumored?
8. What was the difference in the Shamudoi and the Ramudoi specialties when it came to hunting?
9. Why was there always someone present when a young woman lost her virginity, or rather, had her First Rites?
10. Why had Jondalar inadvertently hurt Radonio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ayla's relationship with Whinney. How did this relationship likely bring her through some tough times? Is Ayla's emotional attachment understandable, considering her situation? How is Ayla's relationship with Whinney different from present day relationships with horses?
Essay Topic 2
Why wouldn't Serenio mate Jondalar? What were her reasons? Were they valid? Why or why not? What was Jondalar's reaction to her refusal?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ayla's preconceptions about the Others. Why did she fear meeting them, on some level? Why was she eager to meet them? What do the Other's represent to Ayla, on a deeper level?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)