|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was reminiscent of an earthquake to Ayla?
2. What kind of wine did Jetamio specialize in making?
3. What was determined to be the real reason Jondalar was interested in boat making?
4. What landmark does Laduni tell Jondalar and Thonolan to look for?
5. What had caused Ayla to forget the intense cold of the steppes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship did Jondalar and Jetamio start out with? What did it deepen into and how?
2. What idea struck Ayla?
3. Why was Darvo so happy when Thonolan had decided to mate Jetamio and stay?
4. What is the Malaise?
5. Who was Iza and what had she told Ayla on the night that she died?
6. Why did Thonolan want to give up?
7. What had Broud done, and how was it a sign of an immature leader?
8. What had made Ayla finally glad of the presence of the hyenas?
9. What was Jondalar so worried about regarding Thonolan's approach of the rhino?
10. In what ways did Whinney help Ayla accomplish the reindeer hunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jondalar's inability to love. What was likely responsible for this? Do you believe in the concept of one true love for each person? Why or why not? What is the author's position on true love? How can the reader tell?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the similarities in the relationships of Jondalar and Thonolan. In what ways were the relationships different? What does the reader believe will unfold for Jondalar and Ayla in the future? Do you think their relationship will continue to parallel Thonolan's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What was Ayla's motivation for keeping order in her cave? How might Ayla have fared if she didn't keep such order? How might Jondalar have fared? Who did she learn organization from, and why was it necessary?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)