|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jondalar wish the healer would let him do?
2. What had happened between Thonolan and Jetamio?
3. What thickens the stew that Tholie brought with her?
4. In what direction was the rhino nearly blind?
5. How many flatheads surrounded Jondalar and Thonolan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ayla react to the valley?
2. What stroke of innovation allowed Ayla to bring down a horse on her own?
3. What had made Ayla finally glad of the presence of the hyenas?
4. Why did Ayla take in the baby horse?
5. What was the difference in the Shamudoi and the Ramudoi specialties when it came to hunting?
6. Why did Jondalar panic in regard to the blood-soaked tunic?
7. Why had Jondalar inadvertently hurt Radonio?
8. Why didn't Ayla get mad when Whinney ran and dumped all her things?
9. What was Jondalar so worried about regarding Thonolan's approach of the rhino?
10. What advantages did Ayla have that other clan women did not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hunting is a practice that both men and women can pursue without hindrance amongst the others, but with significant damage done to reputation in and amongst the Clan. Suggest possible reasons for this change in behavior between the two different kinds of people.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Ayla's fears regarding the Others. Are her fears well founded? Why or why not? What is unlikely to happen to Ayla that the Clan often became the victims of?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jondalar's inability to love. What was likely responsible for this? Do you believe in the concept of one true love for each person? Why or why not? What is the author's position on true love? How can the reader tell?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)