|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who antagonizes the flatheads?
2. What kind of wine did Jetamio specialize in making?
3. Why can't Jondalar mate Joplaya?
4. What animal did Jondalar see that he thought there would be no point to hunting?
5. What thickens the stew that Tholie brought with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ayla react to the valley?
2. Why were the gifts from others not really anonymous?
3. What animal had used the cave before Ayla, and how did she know? How did she react to this knowledge?
4. What things did Ayla need to survive the winter?
5. What was Jondalar so worried about regarding Thonolan's approach of the rhino?
6. What transformation did Jetamio undergo when she smiled, and what impression did Jondalar get from that smile?
7. Why did Ayla take in the baby horse?
8. What events led to Ayla making fire with flint and iron pyrite?
9. What idea struck Ayla?
10. What had Broud done, and how was it a sign of an immature leader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of herbal medicines throughout THE VALLEY OF HORSES. Why is herbalism important to Ayla's day to day life? What kinds of situations might never have come to pass if Ayla's skill was less than satisfactory? Why would this have been the case?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ayla's preconceptions about the Others. Why did she fear meeting them, on some level? Why was she eager to meet them? What do the Other's represent to Ayla, on a deeper level?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Jean M. Auel may have decided to kill Thonolan off. What purpose did this destruction of a character play upon the developing plot of the book? Was this death necessary for plot development? Why or why not?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)