|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign(s) did Ayla find from her totem?
2. What did Jondalar do with the other tunic?
3. What did Jondalar give Noria?
4. Who had been the Clan's master toolmaker?
5. What stone, when combined with flint, produced a spark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Ayla get mad when Whinney ran and dumped all her things?
2. What events led to Ayla making fire with flint and iron pyrite?
3. What idea struck Ayla?
4. Why did Thonolan want to give up?
5. What did the old woman throw on the ground, and how did Jondalar react to it?
6. What had Broud done, and how was it a sign of an immature leader?
7. How did Ayla react to the valley?
8. Why were the gifts from others not really anonymous?
9. What information did Creb give Ayla on signs from her totem?
10. Why was Darvo so happy when Thonolan had decided to mate Jetamio and stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ayla's preconceptions about the Others. Why did she fear meeting them, on some level? Why was she eager to meet them? What do the Other's represent to Ayla, on a deeper level?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Jean M. Auel may have decided to kill Thonolan off. What purpose did this destruction of a character play upon the developing plot of the book? Was this death necessary for plot development? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ayla struggles to find her place in life, plagued by multiple insecurities and misconceptions. How is this struggle similar to that of women everywhere? What kinds of things can women learn from Ayla?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)