|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the little foal more afraid of?
2. What wood makes good boats?
3. What did Ayla find on her way back?
4. What is the only thing Ayla lacked in the valley?
5. What did the hyena manage to make off with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things had Ayla done that astounded Jondalar?
2. What language did Jondalar teach Ayla, and what was the problem with it?
3. What had made Ayla finally glad of the presence of the hyenas?
4. Why did Ayla leave Whinney?
5. What is the difference between Creb and the Zelandoni, and how did Ayla explain it to Jondalar?
6. How did Jondalar explain the word 'love' to Ayla?
7. What did the Clan consider as improper and why did Ayla question it? To what conclusion did Ayla come regarding this?
8. What caused Ayla much laughter following the onager kill?
9. Why was Jondalar concerned that he might not bring Ayla Pleasure?
10. Why wouldn't Jondalar stop loving Ayla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ayla struggles to find her place in life, plagued by multiple insecurities and misconceptions. How is this struggle similar to that of women everywhere? What kinds of things can women learn from Ayla?
Essay Topic 2
Why wouldn't Serenio mate Jondalar? What were her reasons? Were they valid? Why or why not? What was Jondalar's reaction to her refusal?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ayla's relationship with Whinney. How did this relationship likely bring her through some tough times? Is Ayla's emotional attachment understandable, considering her situation? How is Ayla's relationship with Whinney different from present day relationships with horses?
This section contains 1,635 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)