|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ayla name the horse?
2. What was the burly man carrying on his back?
3. What was reminiscent of an earthquake to Ayla?
4. What was determined to be the real reason Jondalar was interested in boat making?
5. What animal did Jondalar see that he thought there would be no point to hunting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transformation did Jetamio undergo when she smiled, and what impression did Jondalar get from that smile?
2. What stroke of innovation allowed Ayla to bring down a horse on her own?
3. What information did Creb give Ayla on signs from her totem?
4. What struck Ayla as wrong, and how did she feel when she had figured it out?
5. What had Broud done, and how was it a sign of an immature leader?
6. Who was Iza and what had she told Ayla on the night that she died?
7. Why was Darvo so happy when Thonolan had decided to mate Jetamio and stay?
8. What events led to Ayla making fire with flint and iron pyrite?
9. Why did Jondalar panic in regard to the blood-soaked tunic?
10. What is the Malaise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ayla's preconceptions about the Others. Why did she fear meeting them, on some level? Why was she eager to meet them? What do the Other's represent to Ayla, on a deeper level?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ayla's relationship with Whinney. How did this relationship likely bring her through some tough times? Is Ayla's emotional attachment understandable, considering her situation? How is Ayla's relationship with Whinney different from present day relationships with horses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons why Ayla returned Whinney to a herd. Why was this important to Ayla? How did it mark the young woman's astounding maturity? Why would it have been harder for Ayla than for a person of today's age?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)