|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had the boat turned out to be?
2. What animal's tails adorned Jondalar and Thonolan's parkas?
3. What animal did Jondalar see that he thought there would be no point to hunting?
4. When did Ayla realize that Whinney had gone where Ayla wanted her to go?
5. What smell brought an instinctive fear to the horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stroke of innovation allowed Ayla to bring down a horse on her own?
2. Why was Darvo so happy when Thonolan had decided to mate Jetamio and stay?
3. What did the old woman throw on the ground, and how did Jondalar react to it?
4. Why did Thonolan want to give up?
5. What animal had used the cave before Ayla, and how did she know? How did she react to this knowledge?
6. What idea struck Ayla?
7. In what ways did Whinney help Ayla accomplish the reindeer hunt?
8. Why were the gifts from others not really anonymous?
9. What kind of relationship did Jondalar and Jetamio start out with? What did it deepen into and how?
10. Why didn't Ayla get mad when Whinney ran and dumped all her things?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference in status between women of the Clan and women of the Others. How are merits determined and rank established? What are some perks of high rank? How can an individual become a high ranking member in both societies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jondalar's gradual change in perception regarding the flatheads. What likely finished the transitional process between animals to humans in Jondalar's mind, and what outside source responsible for this shift? What does this change in perception foreshadow what will occur later on?
Essay Topic 3
Hunting is a practice that both men and women can pursue without hindrance amongst the others, but with significant damage done to reputation in and amongst the Clan. Suggest possible reasons for this change in behavior between the two different kinds of people.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)