|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Great Mother River called today?
2. Who was the woman that Jondalar was seeing?
3. Who antagonizes the flatheads?
4. What was Ayla's fear regarding the Others?
5. What smell brought an instinctive fear to the horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things led Jondalar to believe the flatheads were closer to human than it had been rumored?
2. What thought pattern lead to Ayla's riding of the huge cave lion?
3. How did Ayla react to the valley?
4. What adaptive techniques allowed the chamois to cling to rocks?
5. Why was Darvo so happy when Thonolan had decided to mate Jetamio and stay?
6. Why did Jondalar panic in regard to the blood-soaked tunic?
7. What argument did Ayla make for the people of the Clan not being animals?
8. Why was Jondalar concerned that he might not bring Ayla Pleasure?
9. What did Thonolan learn from Jetamio?
10. What transformation did Jetamio undergo when she smiled, and what impression did Jondalar get from that smile?
Essay Topic 1
Jondalar frequently pictures Ayla as a donii, or spirit of a Goddess. How does the spirituality of the people portrayed in the novel play a valid role in every day life for these people? Do you think humanity is better or worse off for the loss of this spirituality? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What was Ayla's motivation for keeping order in her cave? How might Ayla have fared if she didn't keep such order? How might Jondalar have fared? Who did she learn organization from, and why was it necessary?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jondalar's inability to love. What was likely responsible for this? Do you believe in the concept of one true love for each person? Why or why not? What is the author's position on true love? How can the reader tell?
This section contains 1,679 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)