|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Thonolan do before he can mate Jetamio?
2. What kind of wine did Jetamio specialize in making?
3. What innovation allowed Ayla to move the deer and her newest acquisition?
4. What does Jondalar wish the healer would let him do?
5. Why did Ayla hesitate at the invoking of the Clan spirits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the old woman throw on the ground, and how did Jondalar react to it?
2. Why did Jondalar panic in regard to the blood-soaked tunic?
3. What is the difference between Thonolan and Jondalar?
4. What kind of relationship did Jondalar and Jetamio start out with? What did it deepen into and how?
5. What struck Ayla as wrong, and how did she feel when she had figured it out?
6. Why were the gifts from others not really anonymous?
7. In what ways did Whinney help Ayla accomplish the reindeer hunt?
8. What things did Ayla need to survive the winter?
9. Why had Jondalar inadvertently hurt Radonio?
10. What things led Jondalar to believe the flatheads were closer to human than it had been rumored?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship between Ayla, Baby and Whinney. How is this similar to a multi-pet household? In what ways was Ayla's relationship different from anything that is around in present day? What specific traits are important to note regarding the domesticated animals?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the frequent innovation done by the characters throughout the novel. Was innovation likely to occur so fast? Why or why not? What kinds of situations would lead to innovative ways to solve a problem? How is Ayla's behavior indicative of this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships between Clan and Others. How does each pursue the other? Provide reasons for this tension. How do people today still struggle with similar issues, and why?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)