|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Broud done to hurt Ayla?
2. What smell brought an instinctive fear to the horses?
3. Where did Jondalar put one of the tunics?
4. What animal did Jondalar see that he thought there would be no point to hunting?
5. Who was the young woman Jondalar had been talking to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Darvo so happy when Thonolan had decided to mate Jetamio and stay?
2. What idea struck Ayla?
3. What was Jondalar so worried about regarding Thonolan's approach of the rhino?
4. What information did Creb give Ayla on signs from her totem?
5. What events led to Ayla making fire with flint and iron pyrite?
6. What had Broud done, and how was it a sign of an immature leader?
7. Why was there always someone present when a young woman lost her virginity, or rather, had her First Rites?
8. What had made Ayla finally glad of the presence of the hyenas?
9. How did Ayla react to the valley?
10. What is the Malaise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship between Ayla, Baby and Whinney. How is this similar to a multi-pet household? In what ways was Ayla's relationship different from anything that is around in present day? What specific traits are important to note regarding the domesticated animals?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why Ayla returned Whinney to a herd. Why was this important to Ayla? How did it mark the young woman's astounding maturity? Why would it have been harder for Ayla than for a person of today's age?
Essay Topic 3
Hunting is a practice that both men and women can pursue without hindrance amongst the others, but with significant damage done to reputation in and amongst the Clan. Suggest possible reasons for this change in behavior between the two different kinds of people.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)