|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ayla like to wear for comfort?
2. What did the hyena manage to make off with?
3. What was the tree called that was adorned with offerings?
4. What had become a habit for Ayla in the mornings?
5. What were the traveling cakes made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Malaise?
2. Why did Jondalar panic in regard to the blood-soaked tunic?
3. In what ways did Whinney help Ayla accomplish the reindeer hunt?
4. Why did Jondalar take special attention in making sure young women were Pleasured in their First Rites?
5. What was Jondalar so worried about regarding Thonolan's approach of the rhino?
6. How did Ayla react to the valley?
7. What kind of relationship did Jondalar and Jetamio start out with? What did it deepen into and how?
8. What animal had used the cave before Ayla, and how did she know? How did she react to this knowledge?
9. What had made Ayla finally glad of the presence of the hyenas?
10. Why had Jondalar inadvertently hurt Radonio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why wouldn't Serenio mate Jondalar? What were her reasons? Were they valid? Why or why not? What was Jondalar's reaction to her refusal?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference in status between women of the Clan and women of the Others. How are merits determined and rank established? What are some perks of high rank? How can an individual become a high ranking member in both societies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jondalar's inability to love. What was likely responsible for this? Do you believe in the concept of one true love for each person? Why or why not? What is the author's position on true love? How can the reader tell?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)