|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ayla decide she would gather that day?
2. What thickens the stew that Tholie brought with her?
3. What had become a foregone luxury?
4. What made the young horse come to Ayla?
5. Who did Jondalar spend the night with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Darvo so happy when Thonolan had decided to mate Jetamio and stay?
2. Why did Thonolan want to give up?
3. How did Ayla react to the valley?
4. What had made Ayla finally glad of the presence of the hyenas?
5. What stroke of innovation allowed Ayla to bring down a horse on her own?
6. Why had Jondalar inadvertently hurt Radonio?
7. What is the difference between Thonolan and Jondalar?
8. What advantages did Ayla have that other clan women did not?
9. In what ways did Whinney help Ayla accomplish the reindeer hunt?
10. What kind of relationship did Jondalar and Jetamio start out with? What did it deepen into and how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ayla struggles to find her place in life, plagued by multiple insecurities and misconceptions. How is this struggle similar to that of women everywhere? What kinds of things can women learn from Ayla?
Essay Topic 2
Consider Ayla's fears regarding the Others. Are her fears well founded? Why or why not? What is unlikely to happen to Ayla that the Clan often became the victims of?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of herbal medicines throughout THE VALLEY OF HORSES. Why is herbalism important to Ayla's day to day life? What kinds of situations might never have come to pass if Ayla's skill was less than satisfactory? Why would this have been the case?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)