|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the speaker of "The Beat the Girl out of my Boy...or so the Tried" say she felt about being a woman?
2. When did V-Day celebrate it's 10th anniversary?
3. What year was the first V-Day presentation held?
4. What does the author find a connection between in the comments before "I Was There in the Room"?
5. What does the author realize she forgot to discuss that is integral to understanding vaginas in some of the commentary of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the young woman from Juarez described in the monologues of the same title?
2. What does the author say about birth at the beginning of "I Was There In the Room"?
3. How does the author describe the reactions of her public performances of the Vagina Monologues in "Reclaiming cunt"?
4. What role did college campuses have in furthering the V-Day movement?
5. How does the author say she believed she was objectifying women in the comments after "The Woman who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy"?
6. Describe the speaker's dissection of the word cunt in the play.
7. How does the speaker in "The Little Coochi Snorcher that Could" describe her relationship with her vagina?
8. What does the Center for Reproductive Law and Policy tell us about genital mutilation?
9. Describe the plight the transgendered woman faced in "They Beat the Girl out of my Boy...or so they Tried".
10. How does a woman attempt to shame her husband in "Crooked Braid"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence against women is a leading theme in the author's overall message to the readers of the book. Part 1.) Why does the author argue that women are more subjected to violence than men? Part 2.) How does the author use visual imagery to raise awareness to the commonplace of female violence in the world? Part 3.) What efforts does the author make to try and bring an end to violence against women?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of the book's set-up, including analysis of the Introduction, Forward and Preface. What information are we able to learn from the commentary included in these sections of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role menstruation plays in the book. What place does menstruation have in the creation of the female identity, according to the monologue "When I was Twelve My Mother Slapped me"?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)