|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would the speaker of "The Beat the Girl out of my Boy...or so the Tried" be described?
2. How would the speaker of "The Little Coochi Snorcher that Could" be described?
3. What does the author say that she realized lesbians did differently that she realized after "The Woman who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy"?
4. What profession does the speaker of "The Woman who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy" hold?
5. Who does the author discuss the birth of in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In monologues like "Reclaiming Cunt" and "The Little Coochie Snorcher that Could", it is clear that the author has exhibited the great power words can have. Part 1.) What argument might the author be making about words based on her use of such vulgar language in many parts of the book? Part 2.) What might the author want for readers to learn about the power words can have over others, based on her use of them in the book, and what might she be hoping for others to do with that power?
Essay Topic 2
Violence against women is a leading theme in the author's overall message to the readers of the book. Part 1.) Why does the author argue that women are more subjected to violence than men? Part 2.) How does the author use visual imagery to raise awareness to the commonplace of female violence in the world? Part 3.) What efforts does the author make to try and bring an end to violence against women?
Essay Topic 3
The author allows herself to become a character in the book by adding commentary throughout the play. What reason did the author have for inputting so much personal information into the context of the book, and did it help or hinder the text?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)