|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During this phase, a child often tends to feel what?
2. At what age does this period begin?
3. Fairy tales also teach that one will be rewarded if one does not attempt to avoid what?
4. Myths tend to focus on which of the following?
(a) Everything scary.
(c) Supernatural powers.
5. Who is the first famous writer to be quoted in chapter one?
(d) Mother Goose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Germans call their version of myths?
2. Who believed that fairy tales led the listener to look for a higher sense of self?
3. Which two philosophers are referred to in "Fairy Tale Versus Myth?"
4. It was predicted that Oedipus would kill who?
5. Through fairy tales, children are led to believe that _____ will always come to their aid.
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Bettelheim refer to regarding the introduction of duality?
2. Historically speaking, what things most often formed a child's intellect?
3. Why are fairy tales important to the development of a child's mind?
4. Explain the difference of fairy tales in various cultures. Are they all considered to be fairy tales?
5. How is a supreme being or other force worked into fairy tales?
6. Why were these things used? What did they teach to children?
7. Who is Louis MacNeice and what does he say about fairy tales?
8. What is the difference between an adult that has no experience with fairy tales and a child who does?
9. How does Dickens' statement relate to the conflict of allowing children to experience fairy tales?
10. Why have some parents and educators outlawed fairy tales?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)