|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is said that fairy tales manage to give children which of the following?
(a) Sense of humanity.
(b) Sense of belonging.
(c) Inferiority complexes.
(d) A skewed view of life.
2. Which two philosophers are referred to in "Fairy Tale Versus Myth?"
(a) Kierkegaard and Sartre.
(b) Socrates and Aristotle
(c) Homer and Plato.
(d) Aristotle and Plato.
3. Some parents and teachers have not allowed children access to fairy tales because they are _________________.
(a) Violent and frivolous.
(b) Toxic and harmful.
(c) Confusing regarding values.
(d) Too realistic.
4. Children would have no need for fairy tales if their dreams were _________________.
5. What do the Germans call their version of myths?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that learning how to integrate personalities is ______ to a child.
2. What is the negative aspect related to the character(s)?
3. At what age does this phase begin to fade away?
4. In ancient times, stories were often fashioned from tales regarding _________________.
5. What is the first story referred to by the Brothers Grimm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two versions of Snow White's relationship with her parents?
2. Explain the difference of fairy tales in various cultures. Are they all considered to be fairy tales?
3. What story does Bettelheim refer to regarding the introduction of duality?
4. What did the birds know about the situation that the children did not?
5. Why does Bettelheim say that fairy tales are meant to be told, not read?
6. What is the main difference in Perrault's version?
7. What type of character is often seen as the representation of good versus evil?
8. Why have some parents and educators outlawed fairy tales?
9. What is ironic about outlawing fairy tales and the attitudes of the Victorian age?
10. Both stories use blood as a metaphor. Why? What is the metaphor?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)