|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Dientje’s niece?
2. What did Mr. Hannink want Johan to do in Chapter 10?
3. What city was Johan going to in Chapter 11 to hide?
4. Where did Opoe get her brown braid?
5. Where did Johan let the girls go for some fresh air and sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Johan do at the bleachworks?
2. What news did Miss Kleinhoonte bring the girls when she visited in Chapter 8?
3. Why did Sini talk to Johan about money?
4. What did Les write Rachel?
5. What did Sini do when the soldiers came?
6. Who was Miss Kleinhoonte?
7. What did the German do when their informant was killed?
8. What did Sini say when Opoe asked if she snored?
9. Why did Dientje have to have her niece visit?
10. What did Dientje want to do for Annie before Annie went back home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie’s father wanted to leave Holland. Who agreed with Annie’s father that America would be a safer place? Why was it unsafe in Holland? Why didn’t Annie’s mother wish to leave? Why didn’t Father leave with the children and leave his wife behind? Did Sophie ever agree to leave? Why didn’t they go then?
Essay Topic 2
Annie and Opoe celebrated birthdays in the book. How were their birthdays similar? How were they different? How did Annie feel about celebrating her birthday the way she celebrated it? How did Opoe help Annie?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, danger threatened the girls and the Oostervelds. What dangers did they face? What were the Oostervelds risking by taking care of the girls? Why was it so important for the girls to be hidden?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)