|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Johan let the girls go for some fresh air and sun?
2. What did Opoe give Rachel for breakfast?
3. What did Opoe bring Miss Kleinhoonte and the girls to eat for dinner?
4. When did Sini and Annie start making up rhymes for everybody?
5. What last name was on Sini’s false papers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Germans get men to work for them?
2. What happened when Annie was in the bomb shelter with Dientje and Opoe?
3. What presents did Annie get for her eleventh birthday?
4. What did Dientje want to do for Annie before Annie went back home?
5. What happened when Johan let the girls go outside?
6. Why did Opoe get mad at Annie in Chapter 7?
7. What did Les write Rachel?
8. What postcard did Rachel show Sini and Annie?
9. Who was Miss Kleinhoonte?
10. Why did Dientje take the girls to the Hannicks’ underground shelter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Life became even lonelier for Annie when they moved to the new house in the country. Why did Annie feel lonely in town and in the country? How did Les help Annie find a companion? How did the dog help Annie adjust to her new life? What else helped ease Annie’s loneliness? Why didn’t Annie find comfort from loneliness in being with her parents or sisters?
Essay Topic 2
Once the Germans came to Holland, life changed for Annie’s family and other Jews. What elements of daily life changed for the Jews? What restrictions did Jews live under? Why did Annie and other children quit school? How did the restrictions get increasingly repressive?
Essay Topic 3
The Oostervelds and Annie and Sini became very close.
a. What type of relationship did they have at the beginning?
b. What bonded them together?
c. Why didn’t the girls go back home as soon as the war ended?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)