|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was Opoe’s braid?
2. Where did Johan think he could borrow a book?
3. When did Germany march into Russia?
4. How old were Annie’s sisters at the beginning of the story?
5. What did Johan say was the only book in the Oosterveld house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the Gans’ son?
2. How did the principal at the school where Rachel taught react when he learned she had received a letter from the Germans firing her?
3. At the end of Chapter 4, why did Annie and Sini have to leave the Hannick’s?
4. In Chapter 2, what plan did Father come up with to leave?
5. Why did Annie’s bus stop on the way to Enschede?
6. How did Johan create a hiding place for the girls?
7. In Chapter 6, what was learned about the course of the war?
8. What were the sleeping arrangements at the Oosterveld’s?
9. How did Annie get permission to visit her mother in the hospital?
10. How was it arranged it so the girls could eat a birthday dinner with Opoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The longer Annie stayed housebound, the more physical and emotional changes she faced.
a. How did the long period of time indoors affect Annie physically?
b. How did it affect her emotionally?
c. What social skills did Annie have to relearn?
d. Was Annie’s health or emotional well-being affected most by the long time spent indoors?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Chapter 7, Annie didn’t fear looking out the window. What did Annie say to Sini when Sini warned her to stay away from the window? Did Annie understand what she was risking? What did Johan allow Annie to read? How did that make her realize the dangers she faced if she was caught?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, danger threatened the girls and the Oostervelds. What dangers did they face? What were the Oostervelds risking by taking care of the girls? Why was it so important for the girls to be hidden?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)