Introduction & Chapter 1
• The introduction gives a brief history of the causes and progression of World War I.
• The author began the story in 1938, when she was six years old.
• Annie did not understand why her father and other adults were so upset, especially when they listened to the radio.
• All she knew was that Hitler was doing bad things.
• One night there was news about “Kristallnacht” on the radio.
• Friends and family gathered for a meeting after that news and, shortly after, Uncle Bram and his wife left for America.
• Annie had two sisters, at that time Sini was sixteen and Rachel was twenty-one.
• In the fall of 1939, Rachel received her teaching degree, and Sini began working on a farm.
• News came that the Germans had invaded Poland.
• Annie’s father desperately wanted to go to America, but his wife Sophie refused.
• He then began building a home...
This section contains 2,428 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)