|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Aunt Louisa feel about Drusilla going to war?
2. What has changed since the boys went looking for Grumby and Ab?
3. Drusilla complains: "I went to war to hunt Yankees, not hunting ______."
4. How does Granny respond to the soldier's accusations about her scheme?
5. What first begins to concern Bayard about Ab's genuineness?
Essay Topic 1
Race is a significant and theme of "The Unvanquished": slaves are not all treated equally by characters and each character has a different agenda. Discuss the nature of race in the book and how the various dimensions are developed and the role they play.
Essay Topic 2
The migration of the slaves to the river represents classical elements of the Civil War as well as Faulkner's personal portrait of the nature of humans and the time. Discuss the scene of the slaves' migration to the river in its themes and the statement Faulkner is making about the Civil War and the larger portrait of humanity.
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner's serious story is full of humor and irony. Discuss how Faulkner uses humor, how his writing style affects these moments, their purpose, and affect.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)