|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Methodist preacher in town used to be a _______.
2. How does Mrs. Compson know Louisa?
3. What was Granny saving some money from the scheme for?
4. How is Bayard able to identify Grumby's house?
5. While camping, a _______ stranger arrives.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bayard feel about killing Grumby? Why?
2. What is the affect of "Vendee" picking up only days after "Reposte in Tertio"?
3. What does Bayard mean when he says that the men of Jefferson are enemies to the women?
4. Who are the victors in "Skirmish at Sartoris"?
5. How does Granny represent the title of the novel?
6. Why does Bayard place Grumby on Granny's grave?
7. Does John Sartoris want to marry Drusilla? Why or why not?
8. Why does the Union army burn many plantation houses?
9. Why isn't Ab Snopes enlisted in the army?
10. Has the war changed Sartoris? How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title "The Unvanquished" and why it is an appropriate or inappropriate title for the book. What meaning does this word hold for this story?
Essay Topic 2
Despite the fact that "The Unvanquished" takes place during wartime, the gravity of death is still felt by the reader. The reader only witness a few instances of death, keeping the reader from becoming desensitized to it and giving each a special significance to the characters and the larger picture of the narrative. Discuss the use of death in "The Unvanquished," the effect it has on the characters and how Faulkner wields these instances.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the big picture Faulkner is portraying through "The Unvanquished." Is he depicting the shortsighted picture or the long-term view of the war? What about the Civil War does Faulkner want to portray?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)