|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the scheme, Bayard and Granny are responsible for what?
2. What do Bayard and Ringo request from Uncle Buck after Granny's funeral?
3. What occupies all of Sartoris' time since returning from the war?
4. How does Ringo distract the troops who corner Granny?
5. What does Bayard do when he sees Ab?
Essay Topic 1
Through "The Unvanquished," readers experiences unlikely empathetic actions on behalf of some and a severe lack in others. Colonel Dick is generous to Granny, while the slaves abandon their families to get to the river. Discuss Faulkner's exploration of empathy in "The Unvanquished" and how this impacts the portrait of humanity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the big picture Faulkner is portraying through "The Unvanquished." Is he depicting the shortsighted picture or the long-term view of the war? What about the Civil War does Faulkner want to portray?
Essay Topic 3
The Civil War in "The Unvanquished" represents one shift in American society on a larger scale. An aspect of this is the shift from tradition to progressiveness. This is seen primarily in the battle-of-the-sexes that occurs between the characters. Discuss the ways Faulkner, through details and individual cases, is displaying this pivotal time in the South.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)