|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ab when Bayard, Ringo and Buck find him?
2. While camping, a _______ stranger arrives.
3. Why does the stranger tell the group to look for Grumby in Alabama?
4. How much did Sartoris beat Benbow by in the election?
5. How does Ringo distract the troops who corner Granny?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has the war changed Sartoris? How?
2. What is the purpose of the rainy weather in "Vendee"?
3. What is the climax of "The Unvanquished"? Why?
4. What is the affect of "Vendee" picking up only days after "Reposte in Tertio"?
5. Does John Sartoris want to marry Drusilla? Why or why not?
6. Is Drusilla's relationship with Sartoris suspicious? What problem does this present?
7. Why doesn't Bayard kill Ab?
8. Is Aunt Louisa's confrontation of Drusilla's masculinity humorous banter? Why or why not?
9. Why do Bayard and Ringo hold Ab responsible for Granny's death?
10. How do Bayard and Grumby approach killing differently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from our protagonists, Faulkner utilizes several secondary characters. These characters represent alternate avenues to issues (Aunt Louisa to femininity, and Uncle Buck to slavery). Discuss the use of secondary characters in "The Unvanquished": what are they meant to represent? How do they round out the narrative? How do they aid to Faulkner's larger message with the book?
Essay Topic 2
Matriarchs and patriarchs in "The Unvanquished" are the clearest embodiments of the themes of the book. Discuss the role that the matriarchs and patriarchs play in the narrative, message, and themes.
Essay Topic 3
The Sartoris family's adventures are often portrayed in an exaggerated manner, painting aspects of this Civil War story like a tall tale. Discuss Faulkner's tall-tale style in "The Unvanquished." What spin does this place on events? Effect how you see characters? What is his purpose in doing this?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)