Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Aunt Louisa feel about Drusilla going to war?
2. What has changed since the boys went looking for Grumby and Ab?
3. Drusilla complains: "I went to war to hunt Yankees, not hunting ______."
4. How does Granny respond to the soldier's accusations about her scheme?
5. What first begins to concern Bayard about Ab's genuineness?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title "The Unvanquished" and why it is an appropriate or inappropriate title for the book. What meaning does this word hold for this story?
Essay Topic 2
The Sartoris family's adventures are often portrayed in an exaggerated manner, painting aspects of this Civil War story like a tall tale. Discuss Faulkner's tall-tale style in "The Unvanquished." What spin does this place on events? Effect how you see characters? What is his purpose in doing this?
Essay Topic 3
Through Bayard's childhood perspective, Faulkner's humor, and Bayard's adult perspective, warfare is represented in several different lights: from glorified to demonized and violent to psychological. Discuss how Faulkner interprets warfare in "The Unvanquished", focusing on the various approaches he takes.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)