|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bayard see in Ab's eyes when he talks to him?
2. Ab tells Bayard that Granny has accumulated ________ from the scheme.
3. How does Buck receive the story of Bayard and Ringo's journey?
4. What is Grumby's group called?
5. The travel of findings Grumby and Ab is ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bayard place Grumby on Granny's grave?
2. What is the primary reason Bayard was forced to act as an adult in "Vendee"?
3. How do Bayard and Grumby approach killing differently?
4. Is Drusilla's relationship with Sartoris suspicious? What problem does this present?
5. Does Bayard feel guilty about Granny's death? Should he?
6. What is the climax of "The Unvanquished"? Why?
7. How does Bayard feel about killing Grumby? Why?
8. Why do Bayard and Ringo hold Ab responsible for Granny's death?
9. Why does the Union army burn many plantation houses?
10. Who is the most effective weapon against the Union army? How so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the tumultuous context of the Civil War, betrayal and revenge are common occurrences. Discuss the different instances of revenge and betrayal in "The Unvanquished" and how it relates to the book's portrait of humanity.
Essay Topic 2
Through Bayard's childhood perspective, Faulkner's humor, and Bayard's adult perspective, warfare is represented in several different lights: from glorified to demonized and violent to psychological. Discuss how Faulkner interprets warfare in "The Unvanquished", focusing on the various approaches he takes.
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner's serious story is full of humor and irony. Discuss how Faulkner uses humor, how his writing style affects these moments, their purpose, and affect.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)