|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ringo not concerned about leaving Granny alone?
2. At the beginning of "Retreat," where is the Sartoris family fleeing?
3. The Union prisoners escape but leave their _______ behind.
4. How do the slaves respond to Loosh explaining the Union is coming to free them?
5. How does Buck decide which slaves he sets free?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are slaves able to be free in "Retreat"? Is it true freedom?
2. Does Bayard glorify his father? How and why does he regard him the way he does?
3. Are people's loyalties in "Raid" predictable or unpredictable? How?
4. How is Sartoris a victim to both sides of the war?
5. Why is the Sartoris family fleeing their town?
6. How does "Raid" paint women?
7. In "Raid," which is more important to people: freedom or personal sentiment? How and why?
8. Why do the Bayard and Ringo keep an eye on Loosh?
9. Why does Colonel Dick leave Granny's house?
10. Why do Bayard and Ringo shoot at the Union soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Sartoris family's adventures are often portrayed in an exaggerated manner, painting aspects of this Civil War story like a tall tale. Discuss Faulkner's tall-tale style in "The Unvanquished." What spin does this place on events? Effect how you see characters? What is his purpose in doing this?
Essay Topic 2
Colonel Sartoris is the epitome of traditional mid-nineteenth century South in certain aspects. Discuss how and what Sartoris portrays about this time and the significance of his actions in the larger context of the time and other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the big picture Faulkner is portraying through "The Unvanquished." Is he depicting the shortsighted picture or the long-term view of the war? What about the Civil War does Faulkner want to portray?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)