Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sartoris see himself as a victim to the Union?
2. Why is Philadelphy sobbing when Loosh and Granny confront each other?
3. Drusilla compares the fighting Confederates and Union on the railroad to ______.
4. What happened at Vicksburg?
5. Ringo is lass of a slave and more of a ______ to Bayard.
Short Essay Questions
1. After the war, is there peace in the south?
2. Has the war changed Sartoris? How?
3. What is the primary reason Bayard was forced to act as an adult in "Vendee"?
4. Why is the Sartoris family burying their silver?
5. What are the fleeing slaves representing?
6. Why doesn't Bayard kill Ab?
7. What is the affect of "Vendee" picking up only days after "Reposte in Tertio"?
8. How empathetic is the Union army in "Raid"?
9. Why isn't Ab Snopes enlisted in the army?
10. Why do the Bayard and Ringo keep an eye on Loosh?
Essay Topic 1
Matriarchs and patriarchs in "The Unvanquished" are the clearest embodiments of the themes of the book. Discuss the role that the matriarchs and patriarchs play in the narrative, message, and themes.
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner's serious story is full of humor and irony. Discuss how Faulkner uses humor, how his writing style affects these moments, their purpose, and affect.
Essay Topic 3
The Sartoris family's adventures are often portrayed in an exaggerated manner, painting aspects of this Civil War story like a tall tale. Discuss Faulkner's tall-tale style in "The Unvanquished." What spin does this place on events? Effect how you see characters? What is his purpose in doing this?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)