|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Drusilla views her new life as _______.
2. At the beginning of "Ambuscade," what map is Bayard drawing?
3. Why does Sartoris return home at the beginning of "The Unvanquished"?
4. Ringo and Bayard have growing ______ to protect their town.
5. What do Ringo and Bayard steal after being ambushed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Sartoris family fleeing their town?
2. Why does Colonel Dick leave Granny's house?
3. Why do Bayard and Ringo hold Ab responsible for Granny's death?
4. Why does Loosh feel justified in taking the silver?
5. Are slaves able to be free in "Retreat"? Is it true freedom?
6. Why do the Bayard and Ringo keep an eye on Loosh?
7. Why is the Sartoris family burying their silver?
8. Does Bayard feel guilty about Granny's death? Should he?
9. What was Granny's motive in stealing and selling mules?
10. Why doesn't Bayard kill Ab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the big picture Faulkner is portraying through "The Unvanquished." Is he depicting the shortsighted picture or the long-term view of the war? What about the Civil War does Faulkner want to portray?
Essay Topic 2
The migration of the slaves to the river represents classical elements of the Civil War as well as Faulkner's personal portrait of the nature of humans and the time. Discuss the scene of the slaves' migration to the river in its themes and the statement Faulkner is making about the Civil War and the larger portrait of humanity.
Essay Topic 3
Loyalty becomes a dilemma in "The Unvanquished": Colonel Dick helps Confederates and slaves betray their masters. Discuss the nature of loyalty portrayed in "The Unvanquished": what is Faulkner's portrait of its nature?
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)