|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rosa Miller's relation to Sartoris?
2. How does Drusilla change her appearance after her fiancé and father die?
3. The last time Drusilla saw the railroad, she says it was ______.
4. How does Bayard feel about taking orders from this father?
5. The Union prisoners escape but leave their _______ behind.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Colonel Dick leave Granny's house?
2. How is the reader's perception of the war in "Raid" different than in prior chapters?
3. Why does Bayard believe that "we are being set free"?
4. Are slaves able to be free in "Retreat"? Is it true freedom?
5. Is Ringo more than a slave boy? How is he an equal or still inferior?
6. How is Sartoris a victim to both sides of the war?
7. Why isn't Uncle Buck fighting with the army?
8. Why do the Bayard and Ringo keep an eye on Loosh?
9. How has Bayard matured since "Ambuscade"? What is the cause of this?
10. Why do Bayard and Ringo shoot at the Union soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through "The Unvanquished," the reader watches Bayard mature from his idyllic childhood to adulthood. This transition is instigated through both nature and experience. Discuss the affect Bayard's youthful and matured perspectives offer to the book and Faulkner's explanation of the natures of youth and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title "The Unvanquished" and why it is an appropriate or inappropriate title for the book. What meaning does this word hold for this story?
Essay Topic 3
Race is a significant and theme of "The Unvanquished": slaves are not all treated equally by characters and each character has a different agenda. Discuss the nature of race in the book and how the various dimensions are developed and the role they play.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)