|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ringo and Bayard have growing ______ to protect their town.
2. Why does Colonel Dick leave Granny's house?
3. What does the Sartoris family use for ink?
4. At the beginning of "Raid," where is the Sartoris family forced to live?
5. How do members of regiments expel their colonel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Granny become relieved at one point when the Union soldiers are searching her house?
2. What is the primary reason Bayard was forced to act as an adult in "Vendee"?
3. Why do Bayard and Ringo shoot at the Union soldiers?
4. Is Bayard a full adult in "An Odor of Verbena"? Where is this shown?
5. Does Bayard feel guilty about Granny's death? Should he?
6. What are the fleeing slaves representing?
7. Why is Granny particularly paranoid about the chest of silver in "Retreat"?
8. Do the old social rules of women and men in the south still apply in "The Unvanquished"? Why or why not?
9. Why does Loosh feel justified in taking the silver?
10. What is the purpose of the rainy weather in "Vendee"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title "The Unvanquished" and why it is an appropriate or inappropriate title for the book. What meaning does this word hold for this story?
Essay Topic 2
Colonel Sartoris is the epitome of traditional mid-nineteenth century South in certain aspects. Discuss how and what Sartoris portrays about this time and the significance of his actions in the larger context of the time and other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the big picture Faulkner is portraying through "The Unvanquished." Is he depicting the shortsighted picture or the long-term view of the war? What about the Civil War does Faulkner want to portray?
This section contains 1,644 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)