|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main reason Granny profits from her meeting with Colonel Dick?
2. What does the Sartoris family hide their silver in?
3. How do the slaves respond to Loosh explaining the Union is coming to free them?
4. What is Rosa Miller's relation to Sartoris?
5. What was Granny's disturbing dream at the beginning of "Retreat"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are people's loyalties in "Raid" predictable or unpredictable? How?
2. Does Bayard understand the Civil War? How does he see it?
3. Does Bayard glorify his father? How and why does he regard him the way he does?
4. How is the reader's perception of the war in "Raid" different than in prior chapters?
5. How does "Raid" paint women?
6. Is Ringo more than a slave boy? How is he an equal or still inferior?
7. Why does Colonel Dick leave Granny's house?
8. Is the war being waged violent in Mississippi in "Retreat"?
9. What are the fleeing slaves representing?
10. Why do Bayard and Ringo shoot at the Union soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner's serious story is full of humor and irony. Discuss how Faulkner uses humor, how his writing style affects these moments, their purpose, and affect.
Essay Topic 2
The Sartoris family's adventures are often portrayed in an exaggerated manner, painting aspects of this Civil War story like a tall tale. Discuss Faulkner's tall-tale style in "The Unvanquished." What spin does this place on events? Effect how you see characters? What is his purpose in doing this?
Essay Topic 3
The moments of good versus evil are the moments where Bayard's true maturity is forced and shown. The villains play a pivotal role in the progression of the narrative, characters and message. Discuss how the villains are significant and what their impact is on "The Unvanquished."
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)