|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bayard remarks that, between he and Ringo, skin color and smarts didn't count anymore. What does count, in his eyes?
2. What happened at Vicksburg?
3. Why does Sartoris see himself as a victim to the Union?
4. Why is the family hiding their silver?
5. How did Bayard's mother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Granny become relieved at one point when the Union soldiers are searching her house?
2. After the Union soldiers leave her house, what is Granny most concerned with?
3. How does Uncle Buck manage his slaves? Is this unusual?
4. Is Ringo more than a slave boy? How is he an equal or still inferior?
5. How is Sartoris a victim to both sides of the war?
6. Why do the Bayard and Ringo keep an eye on Loosh?
7. Why is Granny particularly paranoid about the chest of silver in "Retreat"?
8. Why isn't Uncle Buck fighting with the army?
9. Does Bayard understand the Civil War? How does he see it?
10. Are people's loyalties in "Raid" predictable or unpredictable? How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Colonel Sartoris is the epitome of traditional mid-nineteenth century South in certain aspects. Discuss how and what Sartoris portrays about this time and the significance of his actions in the larger context of the time and other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title "The Unvanquished" and why it is an appropriate or inappropriate title for the book. What meaning does this word hold for this story?
Essay Topic 3
Matriarchs and patriarchs in "The Unvanquished" are the clearest embodiments of the themes of the book. Discuss the role that the matriarchs and patriarchs play in the narrative, message, and themes.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)