|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the stranger shoot Buck?
(a) In the arm.
(b) In the stomach.
(c) In the foot.
(d) In the leg.
2. What makes it clear that Granny doesn't trust Ab?
(a) She counts her money several times a day.
(b) She never talks to him.
(c) She hides her money.
(d) She shivers when he enters the room.
3. Why does Bayard kill Grumby?
(a) Grumby spoke ill of Bayard's mother.
(b) Grumby killed Granny.
(c) Grumby will never stop stealing.
(d) Grumby tried to shoot him.
4. Why is Granny hesitant about the last scheme?
(a) The mules are not healthy.
(b) She's too tired to put up her act.
(c) The regiment is too close to another.
(d) She's sold to this troop before.
5. Why is the stranger willing to give up Grumby?
(a) Because Bayard offers him money.
(b) Because Grumby is a terrible travel partner.
(c) Because Grumby betrayed him.
(d) Because they are wanted men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bayard and Ringo hear Ab has gone?
2. How does Granny try to ensure not being caught by the Union in her scheme?
3. How is Ab when Bayard, Ringo and Buck find him?
4. "Reposte in Tertio" takes place ______ after the conclusion of "Raid."
5. How does Buck receive the story of Bayard and Ringo's journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Granny represent the title of the novel?
2. Why doesn't Bayard kill Ab?
3. Why does Bayard place Grumby on Granny's grave?
4. Are Drusilla and Sartoris' efforts admirable? Why or why not?
5. How do Bayard and Grumby approach killing differently?
6. After the war, is there peace in the south?
7. What is the climax of "The Unvanquished"? Why?
8. Why does the Union army burn many plantation houses?
9. Does John Sartoris want to marry Drusilla? Why or why not?
10. Do the old social rules of women and men in the south still apply in "The Unvanquished"? Why or why not?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)