|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Granny saving some money from the scheme for?
(a) To buy her slaves back.
(b) To make a new life after the war.
(c) To bail her cousin out of prison.
(d) To hire a hit man.
2. Bayard becomes concerned about his father's ______ visits to town.
3. What does Bayard do with Grumby's body?
(a) Hangs it in the middle of town.
(b) Buries it.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Places it on Granny's grave.
4. How is Bayard able to identify Grumby's house?
(a) His horse.
(b) The Union flag in the window.
(c) His clothes hanging outside.
(d) His wagon.
5. Why can't Buck continue on with the boys?
(a) He is too old and tired.
(b) He's banned from the next town.
(c) His wound is too infected.
(d) He has to take Ab back to town.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Buck receive the story of Bayard and Ringo's journey?
2. Before the war, Benbow was ______.
3. How did Aunt Louisa feel about Drusilla going to war?
4. Why do the Sartoris' have reservations about Ab?
5. What is Louisa's final task in setting Drusilla right?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Ab Snopes enlisted in the army?
2. What is the climax of "The Unvanquished"? Why?
3. Why doesn't Bayard kill Ab?
4. After the war, is there peace in the south?
5. Is Aunt Louisa's confrontation of Drusilla's masculinity humorous banter? Why or why not?
6. How does Granny represent the title of the novel?
7. Has the war changed Sartoris? How?
8. What is the primary reason Bayard was forced to act as an adult in "Vendee"?
9. What was Granny's motive in stealing and selling mules?
10. Do the old social rules of women and men in the south still apply in "The Unvanquished"? Why or why not?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)