|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the women of Jefferson rearrange the town?
(a) They expand downtown.
(b) They have strict single-sex housing.
(c) They separate blacks and whites.
(d) They build the houses in a more northern style.
2. How forthcoming is Buck to the stranger?
(a) He explains who they are looking for.
(b) He hints at their objective but doesn't say much.
(c) He makes up a story about a lost horse.
(d) He stay silent until the man leaves.
3. During the war, where was Benbow?
(a) Far south.
(c) In Jefferson.
(d) With the Union.
4. Where do Bayard and Ringo hear Ab has gone?
5. Where do Bayard, Ringo and Buck decide to search for Ab and Grumby?
(b) By the creek.
(d) Further south.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sartoris shoot in the town hall?
2. ]Why don't the Union soldiers take Granny's mules?
3. Why do the Sartoris' have reservations about Ab?
4. What has Granny been doing with much of her earnings from their scheme?
5. How does Louisa respond to Drusilla's return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the victors in "Skirmish at Sartoris"?
2. Are Drusilla and Sartoris' efforts admirable? Why or why not?
3. What was Granny's motive in stealing and selling mules?
4. Why does the Union army burn many plantation houses?
5. Do the old social rules of women and men in the south still apply in "The Unvanquished"? Why or why not?
6. What is the primary reason Bayard was forced to act as an adult in "Vendee"?
7. What is the purpose of the rainy weather in "Vendee"?
8. How does Bayard feel about killing Grumby? Why?
9. What does Bayard mean when he says that the men of Jefferson are enemies to the women?
10. Who is the most effective weapon against the Union army? How so?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)