|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While fleeing, why does Granny refuse to sleep in the farmhouse?
(a) She likes the open air.
(b) It's too dirty.
(c) She doesn't trust the people inside.
(d) She wants to stay with the silver.
2. What was Granny's disturbing dream at the beginning of "Retreat"?
(a) The Union wins the war.
(b) Someone burns her house.
(c) Someone takes Bayard.
(d) Someone finds their silver.
3. When the slaves are asked to carry the chest of silver up the stairs, they grumble and ______.
4. How do the slaves respond to Loosh explaining the Union is coming to free them?
(a) They kick him out.
(b) They hug and kiss him.
(c) They get angry at Loosh.
(d) They ignore him.
5. What is Drusilla's main goal?
(a) To own her own land.
(b) Joining Sartoris' regiment.
(c) To get married.
(d) To free the slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Sartoris stay with his mother-in-law?
2. Why is Philadelphy sobbing when Loosh and Granny confront each other?
3. What does the Sartoris family hide their silver in?
4. What does the Sartoris family use for ink?
5. What does Drusilla tell Granny the Union troops are not letting the slaves do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Bayard matured since "Ambuscade"? What is the cause of this?
2. Why is the Sartoris family fleeing their town?
3. How does "Raid" paint women?
4. How is the reader's perception of the war in "Raid" different than in prior chapters?
5. How empathetic is the Union army in "Raid"?
6. What is the affect of "Vendee" picking up only days after "Reposte in Tertio"?
7. Why is the Sartoris family burying their silver?
8. Why do Bayard and Ringo shoot at the Union soldiers?
9. After the war, is there peace in the south?
10. Is Aunt Louisa's confrontation of Drusilla's masculinity humorous banter? Why or why not?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)