|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Union prisoners escape but leave their _______ behind.
2. At the beginning of "Raid," where is the Sartoris family forced to live?
(a) In Granny's house.
(b) In a tent.
(c) In an inn.
(d) In the slave quarters.
3. While playing Civil War, who does Ringo want to play?
(a) Colonel Dick.
(b) Colonel Sartoris.
(c) The Union General.
(d) The Confederate General.
4. How does Colonel Dick compensate Granny?
(a) He hugs her.
(b) He helps her cross the river.
(c) He gives her more silver and mules.
(d) He gives her advise.
5. Which soldier does Bayard shoot at?
(a) The Colonel.
(b) The biggest and strongest.
(c) The oldest.
(d) The first one he sees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Drusilla compares the fighting Confederates and Union on the railroad to ______.
2. How long do Ringo and Bayard wait on the road?
3. What was Granny's disturbing dream at the beginning of "Retreat"?
4. Why does Granny scold Ringo and Bayard?
5. When Ringo and Bayard find Granny back home, what does she have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Bayard and Ringo hold Ab responsible for Granny's death?
2. Does Bayard feel guilty about Granny's death? Should he?
3. Why does Bayard place Grumby on Granny's grave?
4. What are the fleeing slaves representing?
5. Why does Granny become relieved at one point when the Union soldiers are searching her house?
6. How do Bayard and Grumby approach killing differently?
7. Do the old social rules of women and men in the south still apply in "The Unvanquished"? Why or why not?
8. What is the purpose of the rainy weather in "Vendee"?
9. How have roles been reversed or changed in "Raid"?
10. How easy is it to gauge humor in "Retreat"? Why?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)