|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bayard balance his gun?
(a) On his arm.
(b) On a log.
(c) On Ringo's back.
(d) On his knee.
2. What was Granny's disturbing dream at the beginning of "Retreat"?
(a) Someone burns her house.
(b) Someone takes Bayard.
(c) The Union wins the war.
(d) Someone finds their silver.
3. When the Union soldiers arrive at Sartoris' house looking for him, he escapes by pretending to be a deaf _______.
(d) Union soldier.
4. What is Drusilla's main goal?
(a) To free the slaves.
(b) Joining Sartoris' regiment.
(c) To own her own land.
(d) To get married.
5. Granny's wagon is pushed into the river by a "_____" of slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of "Raid," where is the Sartoris family forced to live?
2. Drusilla views her new life as _______.
3. What do Ringo and Bayard steal after being ambushed?
4. Ringo and Bayard are _____ years old in "Raid."
5. Bayard observes that although the war is tragic, he has never experiences such ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the fleeing slaves representing?
2. Why has Drusilla become more masculine?
3. Why is the Sartoris family fleeing their town?
4. Why does Bayard believe that "we are being set free"?
5. Why does Colonel Dick leave Granny's house?
6. Does Bayard understand the Civil War? How does he see it?
7. Why do the Bayard and Ringo keep an eye on Loosh?
8. How easy is it to gauge humor in "Retreat"? Why?
9. Does Bayard glorify his father? How and why does he regard him the way he does?
10. How is Sartoris a victim to both sides of the war?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)