|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do many slaves begin betraying their masters?
(a) The Union promises them freedom for their help.
(b) They see an opportunity for payback.
(c) Because they are fed up.
(d) They get money for information.
2. How does Bayard balance his gun?
(a) On Ringo's back.
(b) On a log.
(c) On his knee.
(d) On his arm.
3. How does Drusilla change her appearance after her fiancé and father die?
(a) She dresses like a man.
(b) She dresses more feminine.
(c) She dresses provocatively.
(d) She dresses all in black.
4. Why does Sartoris return home at the beginning of "The Unvanquished"?
(a) He was expelled from his regiment.
(b) To oversee the livestock pen.
(c) He's fallen ill.
(d) To bring a message.
5. Why were the slave woman and her baby left behind?
(a) They were too slow.
(b) They ate too much food.
(c) They were too noisy.
(d) They didn't want to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Ringo and Bayard wait on the road?
2. Why is Sartoris able to take the Union regiment prisoner so easily?
3. Which soldier does Bayard shoot at?
4. Before bed, with the silver in her room, what does Granny do for the first time ever?
5. When Ringo and Bayard find Granny back home, what does she have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Bayard understand the Civil War? How does he see it?
2. How empathetic is the Union army in "Raid"?
3. Why does Loosh feel justified in taking the silver?
4. Why does Bayard believe that "we are being set free"?
5. Why is the Sartoris family burying their silver?
6. Why is the Sartoris family fleeing their town?
7. How easy is it to gauge humor in "Retreat"? Why?
8. Does Bayard glorify his father? How and why does he regard him the way he does?
9. What are the fleeing slaves representing?
10. How have roles been reversed or changed in "Raid"?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)