|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Union ambushes Granny, Ringo and Bayard, Granny fights them off with _______.
(a) Her mules.
(b) A gun.
(c) Her fists.
(d) An umbrella.
2. After Bayard shoots, Ringo screams that who is coming after them?
(d) "The whole army."
3. Granny's wagon is pushed into the river by a "_____" of slaves.
4. Where do Granny and Bayard end up living?
(a) Joby's cabin.
(b) An abandoned farmhouse.
(c) A make-shift shack.
(d) In the woods.
5. What is Rosa Miller's relation to Sartoris?
(a) She is his mother-in-law.
(b) She is his employee.
(c) She is his mother.
(d) She is his sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the encounter with the slave woman, what does Ringo predict?
2. Drusilla views her new life as _______.
3. Drusilla compares the fighting Confederates and Union on the railroad to ______.
4. Why do many slaves decide to return to Jefferson with Granny?
5. How does Buck decide which slaves he sets free?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are people's loyalties in "Raid" predictable or unpredictable? How?
2. How does "Raid" paint women?
3. In "Raid," which is more important to people: freedom or personal sentiment? How and why?
4. Are slaves able to be free in "Retreat"? Is it true freedom?
5. How easy is it to gauge humor in "Retreat"? Why?
6. Why is Granny particularly paranoid about the chest of silver in "Retreat"?
7. Why isn't Uncle Buck fighting with the army?
8. Why is the Sartoris family fleeing their town?
9. How has Bayard matured since "Ambuscade"? What is the cause of this?
10. Why do Bayard and Ringo shoot at the Union soldiers?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)