|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sartoris see himself as a victim to the Confederates?
(a) They take advantage of his family.
(b) He doesn't have enough resources for his regiment.
(c) They set his slaves free.
(d) He is betrayed by them.
2. Faulkner compares the slaves' migration like racing to:
(a) The finish line.
(b) The promised land.
(c) The gates of heaven.
3. How do the slaves respond to Loosh explaining the Union is coming to free them?
(a) They hug and kiss him.
(b) They get angry at Loosh.
(c) They kick him out.
(d) They ignore him.
4. Bayard observes that although the war is tragic, he has never experiences such ______.
5. How long do Ringo and Bayard wait on the road?
(a) A week.
(b) Ten hours.
(c) Two days.
(d) Four hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Loosh sneak off to in the middle of the night?
2. What does the Sartoris family use for ink?
3. Why does Granny pray after the soldiers leave?
4. Why is Granny able to return home safely after visiting Colonel Dick?
5. When his father returns home, Bayard observes he has the "smell of ______."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Granny particularly paranoid about the chest of silver in "Retreat"?
2. How is the reader's perception of the war in "Raid" different than in prior chapters?
3. Are slaves able to be free in "Retreat"? Is it true freedom?
4. How is Sartoris a victim to both sides of the war?
5. Is the war being waged violent in Mississippi in "Retreat"?
6. In "Raid," which is more important to people: freedom or personal sentiment? How and why?
7. Why does Colonel Dick leave Granny's house?
8. Why does Bayard believe that "we are being set free"?
9. Are people's loyalties in "Raid" predictable or unpredictable? How?
10. Why does Loosh feel justified in taking the silver?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)