|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Granny's wagon is pushed into the river by a "_____" of slaves.
2. In "Ambuscade" Bayard believes the front lines are in ______.
(a) New York.
3. Why do many slaves begin betraying their masters?
(a) They see an opportunity for payback.
(b) The Union promises them freedom for their help.
(c) Because they are fed up.
(d) They get money for information.
4. What does the Sartoris family use for ink?
(a) Berry juice.
5. How does Granny gain Colonel Dick's sympathy?
(a) She pretends to be injured.
(b) She tells a story of her starving grandchildren.
(c) She tells him the story of her mules being stolen.
(d) She tells him a story about the abusive Confederates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which soldier does Bayard shoot at?
2. Why does Granny pray after the soldiers leave?
3. Why is Granny unable to pull herself out of the river?
4. Why is Ringo not concerned about leaving Granny alone?
5. Bayard remarks that, between he and Ringo, skin color and smarts didn't count anymore. What does count, in his eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Bayard glorify his father? How and why does he regard him the way he does?
2. Why has Drusilla become more masculine?
3. How empathetic is the Union army in "Raid"?
4. What does Bayard mean when he says that the men of Jefferson are enemies to the women?
5. How is Sartoris a victim to both sides of the war?
6. What does verbena symbolize for Bayard?
7. Is Bayard a full adult in "An Odor of Verbena"? Where is this shown?
8. Is Aunt Louisa's confrontation of Drusilla's masculinity humorous banter? Why or why not?
9. How easy is it to gauge humor in "Retreat"? Why?
10. Does Bayard feel guilty about Granny's death? Should he?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)