|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faulkner compares the slaves' migration like racing to:
(a) The finish line.
(c) The promised land.
(d) The gates of heaven.
2. Why is Sartoris able to take the Union regiment prisoner so easily?
(a) He has more weapons.
(b) He pretends to have a larger regiment.
(c) He lures them away from their camp.
(d) The regiment is weak.
3. Which Union regiment does Sartoris encounter with Ringo and Bayard?
(a) The one holding Sartoris hostage.
(b) The one who stole their horses.
(c) The ruthless one they heard about.
(d) The one who they shot at.
4. How do members of regiments expel their colonel?
(a) They can't.
(b) They tie him up and leave him behind.
(c) They stage a riot.
(d) They vote.
5. Ringo asks Bayard who he thinks Granny dreamed about. Bayard says ______.
(a) A stranger.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Granny hide Ringo and Bayard?
2. Why is Ringo not concerned about leaving Granny alone?
3. Why is Philadelphy sobbing when Loosh and Granny confront each other?
4. How does Colonel Dick compensate Granny?
5. At the beginning of "Retreat," where is the Sartoris family fleeing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Ringo more than a slave boy? How is he an equal or still inferior?
2. Why does Loosh feel justified in taking the silver?
3. Why does Colonel Dick leave Granny's house?
4. What are the fleeing slaves representing?
5. Why do Bayard and Ringo shoot at the Union soldiers?
6. Why is Granny particularly paranoid about the chest of silver in "Retreat"?
7. Does Bayard glorify his father? How and why does he regard him the way he does?
8. Are people's loyalties in "Raid" predictable or unpredictable? How?
9. How empathetic is the Union army in "Raid"?
10. Why does Granny become relieved at one point when the Union soldiers are searching her house?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)