|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Granny able to return home safely after visiting Colonel Dick?
(a) She takes a back road home.
(b) He writes her a letter for protection.
(c) The other Union troops are afraid of her.
(d) She has Bayard to protect her.
2. While fleeing, why does Granny refuse to sleep in the farmhouse?
(a) She doesn't trust the people inside.
(b) It's too dirty.
(c) She likes the open air.
(d) She wants to stay with the silver.
3. At the beginning of "Raid," where is the Sartoris family forced to live?
(a) In Granny's house.
(b) In an inn.
(c) In a tent.
(d) In the slave quarters.
4. After the encounter with the slave woman, what does Ringo predict?
(a) They will return home.
(b) They will help her safety.
(c) They may die.
(d) They will also leave her behind.
5. Why does Sartoris return home at the beginning of "The Unvanquished"?
(a) To oversee the livestock pen.
(b) To bring a message.
(c) He's fallen ill.
(d) He was expelled from his regiment.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the Union soldiers leave Sartoris' burning house, how does Granny respond?
2. In "Ambuscade" Bayard believes the front lines are in ______.
3. What is Rosa Miller's relation to Sartoris?
4. Why isn't Uncle Buck fighting in the army?
5. What does Drusilla tell Granny the Union troops are not letting the slaves do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are slaves able to be free in "Retreat"? Is it true freedom?
2. How is Sartoris a victim to both sides of the war?
3. Why isn't Uncle Buck fighting with the army?
4. Why does Colonel Dick leave Granny's house?
5. Why has Drusilla become more masculine?
6. Why does Loosh feel justified in taking the silver?
7. After the Union soldiers leave her house, what is Granny most concerned with?
8. How have roles been reversed or changed in "Raid"?
9. In "Raid," which is more important to people: freedom or personal sentiment? How and why?
10. Does Bayard glorify his father? How and why does he regard him the way he does?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)