|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Burdens in Jefferson?
(a) To organize former slaves for the Republican Party.
(b) To make a profit off the devastation.
(c) To keep an eye on Sartoris.
(d) To fix the election.
2. How do the women of Jefferson rearrange the town?
(a) They separate blacks and whites.
(b) They have strict single-sex housing.
(c) They build the houses in a more northern style.
(d) They expand downtown.
3. How does Louisa respond to Drusilla's return home?
(a) She wants Drusilla to go north.
(b) She is happy Drusilla is back.
(c) She feels Drusilla has shamed the family.
(d) She wishes Drusilla had been a better soldier.
4. What does Bayard do with Grumby's body?
(a) Places it on Granny's grave.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Buries it.
(d) Hangs it in the middle of town.
5. Who does Sartoris shoot in the town hall?
(c) A policeman.
(d) Two election officials.
6. How does Mrs. Compson know Louisa?
(a) She was Drusilla's nanny.
(b) She's a friend of Granny.
(c) She is her sister.
(d) She is from the same town.
7. Why do the Sartoris' have reservations about Ab?
(a) He's a man.
(b) They've heard rumors.
(c) He acts suspicious.
(d) He's untrustworthy.
8. Sartoris is running against Benbow to become _______.
(c) Town representative.
9. Why can't Buck continue on with the boys?
(a) His wound is too infected.
(b) He is too old and tired.
(c) He has to take Ab back to town.
(d) He's banned from the next town.
10. What does Bayard see in Ab's eyes when he talks to him?
11. Why does Granny agree to do business with Grumby?
(a) They will pay her well.
(b) She's desperate.
(c) She doesn't think they're bad people.
(d) They are old friends.
12. Where does the stranger shoot Buck?
(a) In the stomach.
(b) In the leg.
(c) In the arm.
(d) In the foot.
13. Why does Mrs. Compson approach Drusilla when she returns home?
(a) She wants to hear her stories.
(b) She wants to make sure she's not injured.
(c) She wants to tell her the gossip.
(d) She was asked to intervene.
14. How long does the search for Grumby and Ab take?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three days.
(c) One year.
(d) Three months.
15. What is Grumby's group called?
(a) The Renegades.
(b) The Independents.
(c) The Night Riders.
(d) The Anarchists.
Short Answer Questions
1. How forthcoming is Buck to the stranger?
2. Why is Ab the best available man in town?
3. Why is Granny disheartened by the conclusion of her scheme?
4. How does Grumby try to disarm Bayard and Ringo?
5. When Granny leaves, Bayard ______ himself for letting Granny go to see Grumby alone.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)