|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Compson approach Drusilla when she returns home?
(a) She wants to tell her the gossip.
(b) She was asked to intervene.
(c) She wants to hear her stories.
(d) She wants to make sure she's not injured.
2. When Granny leaves, Bayard ______ himself for letting Granny go to see Grumby alone.
3. What has Granny been doing with much of her earnings from their scheme?
(a) Betting on the war.
(b) Hiding it.
(c) Giving it to needy neighbors.
(d) Buying liquor.
4. Why does Granny go to see Grumby alone?
(a) She will be less conspicuous.
(b) Ab requested only she go.
(c) She doesn't believe they would hurt her.
(d) She wants to look professional.
5. What first begins to concern Bayard about Ab's genuineness?
(a) He sees Ab sneaking off at night.
(b) Many of Ab's friends are known criminals.
(c) Granny has less money than Ab says.
(d) There is something suspicious about the way Ab looks at him.
6. What occupies all of Sartoris' time since returning from the war?
(a) Finding his lost mules.
(b) Comforting his son.
(c) Seeing Drusilla.
(d) Rebuilding his house.
7. What has changed since the boys went looking for Grumby and Ab?
(a) A new war has started.
(b) Jefferson has been destroyed.
(c) Drusilla and John are married.
(d) The war has ended.
8. What was Granny saving some money from the scheme for?
(a) To hire a hit man.
(b) To make a new life after the war.
(c) To buy her slaves back.
(d) To bail her cousin out of prison.
9. Where do Bayard, Ringo and Buck decide to search for Ab and Grumby?
(b) Further south.
(d) By the creek.
10. Ab tells Bayard that Granny has accumulated ________ from the scheme.
11. How does Grumby try to disarm Bayard and Ringo?
(a) By distracting them.
(b) By fighting them.
(c) With pleasant words.
(d) With a gun.
12. What does Bayard see in Ab's eyes when he talks to him?
13. Sartoris is running against Benbow to become _______.
(d) Town representative.
14. What does Aunt Louisa do when she arrives in Jefferson?
(a) Start building her own house.
(b) Goes to congratulate Bayard.
(c) Hugs and kisses Drusilla.
(d) Forces Drusilla to wear dresses.
15. Why are the Burdens in Jefferson?
(a) To organize former slaves for the Republican Party.
(b) To make a profit off the devastation.
(c) To keep an eye on Sartoris.
(d) To fix the election.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the search for Grumby and Ab take?
2. How does Louisa respond to Drusilla's return home?
3. Why is Ab the best available man in town?
4. Why can't Buck continue on with the boys?
5. How does Mrs. Compson know Louisa?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)