|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ]Why don't the Union soldiers take Granny's mules?
(a) They's not worth taking.
(b) They feel bad for her.
(c) They got distracted.
(d) She already gave them to Ringo and Bayard.
2. Why does Granny agree to do business with Grumby?
(a) She doesn't think they're bad people.
(b) They are old friends.
(c) She's desperate.
(d) They will pay her well.
3. Why can't Buck continue on with the boys?
(a) His wound is too infected.
(b) He's banned from the next town.
(c) He has to take Ab back to town.
(d) He is too old and tired.
4. Where does Sartoris relocate the voting to?
(a) The next town.
(b) The old slave cabins.
(c) The post office.
(d) His house.
5. Why did the stranger kill the black man for the boys to find?
(a) As a sign.
(b) As a peace offering.
(c) As a warning.
(d) It was an accident.
6. What occupies Drusilla's time when she returns home from the war?
(a) Rebuilding Sartoris' house.
(b) Needlepoint and laundry.
(c) Making plans to overthrow the Union.
(d) Cleaning up the town.
7. Why is Granny disheartened by the conclusion of her scheme?
(a) She feels like she let Ab down.
(b) She doesn't like being a wanted woman.
(c) She hasn't saved enough money.
(d) She liked the excitement of crime.
8. Why do the Sartoris' have reservations about Ab?
(a) They've heard rumors.
(b) He's untrustworthy.
(c) He's a man.
(d) He acts suspicious.
9. In the scheme, Bayard and Granny are responsible for what?
(a) Counting the money.
(b) Presenting the letter to the troops.
(c) Writing the letters.
(d) Taking care of the mules.
10. How does Grumby try to disarm Bayard and Ringo?
(a) With pleasant words.
(b) By fighting them.
(c) With a gun.
(d) By distracting them.
11. What occupies all of Sartoris' time since returning from the war?
(a) Rebuilding his house.
(b) Finding his lost mules.
(c) Comforting his son.
(d) Seeing Drusilla.
12. How does Granny respond to the soldier's accusations about her scheme?
(a) She feigns ignorance.
(b) She accuses them back.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She starts to cry.
13. Who does Sartoris shoot in the town hall?
(a) A policeman.
(c) Two election officials.
14. What does Ab tell Granny he admires about her?
(a) Her good cooking.
(b) Her good looks.
(c) Her cunningness.
(d) Her business savviness.
15. What has Granny been doing with much of her earnings from their scheme?
(a) Giving it to needy neighbors.
(b) Buying liquor.
(c) Betting on the war.
(d) Hiding it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Burdens in Jefferson?
2. What do Bayard and Ringo request from Uncle Buck after Granny's funeral?
3. During the war, where was Benbow?
4. Why is Granny hesitant about the last scheme?
5. Why does Granny go to see Grumby alone?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)