|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bayard becomes concerned about his father's ______ visits to town.
2. Why do the Sartoris' have reservations about Ab?
(a) He acts suspicious.
(b) They've heard rumors.
(c) He's untrustworthy.
(d) He's a man.
3. ]Why don't the Union soldiers take Granny's mules?
(a) She already gave them to Ringo and Bayard.
(b) They got distracted.
(c) They's not worth taking.
(d) They feel bad for her.
4. Why does Bayard set Ab free?
(a) He will help Buck get home.
(b) He knows Ab won't come back.
(c) Ab needs medical attention.
(d) Ab promises him money.
5. Why does Granny go to see Grumby alone?
(a) She wants to look professional.
(b) She will be less conspicuous.
(c) She doesn't believe they would hurt her.
(d) Ab requested only she go.
6. What does Ab tell Granny he admires about her?
(a) Her good cooking.
(b) Her cunningness.
(c) Her good looks.
(d) Her business savviness.
7. What has Granny been doing with much of her earnings from their scheme?
(a) Hiding it.
(b) Betting on the war.
(c) Giving it to needy neighbors.
(d) Buying liquor.
8. What does Bayard do with Grumby's body?
(a) Places it on Granny's grave.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Hangs it in the middle of town.
(d) Buries it.
9. Why does Granny agree to do business with Grumby?
(a) She's desperate.
(b) They are old friends.
(c) She doesn't think they're bad people.
(d) They will pay her well.
10. Why did the stranger kill the black man for the boys to find?
(a) It was an accident.
(b) As a warning.
(c) As a peace offering.
(d) As a sign.
11. What is Louisa's final task in setting Drusilla right?
(a) Moving her to New York.
(b) Making her marry Sartoris.
(c) Teaching her to play piano.
(d) Getting her a wig.
12. When does Bayard see Drusilla after Louisa arrives?
(b) All day, every day.
(c) Only at mealtimes.
(d) Only when he's in town.
13. Why is the stranger willing to give up Grumby?
(a) Because Bayard offers him money.
(b) Because Grumby is a terrible travel partner.
(c) Because they are wanted men.
(d) Because Grumby betrayed him.
14. How does Granny respond to the soldier's accusations about her scheme?
(a) She accuses them back.
(b) She feigns ignorance.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She starts to cry.
15. How is Bayard able to identify Grumby's house?
(a) The Union flag in the window.
(b) His clothes hanging outside.
(c) His wagon.
(d) His horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Burdens in Jefferson?
2. How does Buck receive the story of Bayard and Ringo's journey?
3. Where do Bayard and Ringo hear Ab has gone?
4. Where do Bayard, Ringo and Buck decide to search for Ab and Grumby?
5. Why does Bayard kill Grumby?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)