|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Buck decide which slaves he sets free?
(a) He draws names from a hat.
(b) Whoever does better work.
(c) He sets the older ones free.
(d) He waits for signs from God.
2. While playing Civil War, who does Ringo want to play?
(a) The Union General.
(b) The Confederate General.
(c) Colonel Dick.
(d) Colonel Sartoris.
3. After the encounter with the slave woman, what does Ringo predict?
(a) They will return home.
(b) They will help her safety.
(c) They may die.
(d) They will also leave her behind.
4. At the beginning of "Ambuscade," what map is Bayard drawing?
(b) Mason-Dixon line.
5. What is Drusilla very accomplished in?
(d) Horse riding.
6. Why is Philadelphy sobbing when Loosh and Granny confront each other?
(a) Because she knows Loosh is wrong.
(b) Because Granny is sad.
(c) Because he doesn't want to leave the farm.
(d) Because she doesn't like confrontation.
7. Why didn't Sartoris let both McCaslin brothers enlist?
(a) They're not serious enough.
(b) They're too old.
(c) They are loyal to the Union.
(d) There are too many soldiers.
8. What does the Sartoris family hide their silver in?
(a) A bag of laundry.
(b) The stove.
(c) A trunk.
(d) The floor.
9. Why do many slaves decide to return to Jefferson with Granny?
(a) They want to steal her silver.
(b) They are frightened by the scene at the river.
(c) They will have food and shelter.
(d) The Colonel orders them to.
10. Why is Sartoris able to take the Union regiment prisoner so easily?
(a) The regiment is weak.
(b) He pretends to have a larger regiment.
(c) He lures them away from their camp.
(d) He has more weapons.
11. When the slaves are asked to carry the chest of silver up the stairs, they grumble and ______.
12. How do members of regiments expel their colonel?
(a) They can't.
(b) They vote.
(c) They stage a riot.
(d) They tie him up and leave him behind.
13. Why can't Sartoris stay with his mother-in-law?
(a) He can't stand her.
(b) There is a new battle.
(c) The Yankees are looking for him.
(d) She doesn't have food to feed them all.
14. How does Colonel Dick compensate Granny?
(a) He gives her more silver and mules.
(b) He helps her cross the river.
(c) He hugs her.
(d) He gives her advise.
15. Before bed, with the silver in her room, what does Granny do for the first time ever?
(a) Locks her door.
(b) Turns her light off.
(d) Tells Bayard a story.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of "Retreat," where is the Sartoris family fleeing?
2. When Ringo and Bayard find Granny back home, what does she have?
3. As the Union soldiers leave Sartoris' burning house, how does Granny respond?
4. At the beginning of "Raid," where is the Sartoris family forced to live?
5. How does Bayard feel about taking orders from this father?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)