|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Sartoris family use for ink?
(b) Berry juice.
2. What was Granny's disturbing dream at the beginning of "Retreat"?
(a) Someone takes Bayard.
(b) Someone finds their silver.
(c) The Union wins the war.
(d) Someone burns her house.
3. Why does Sartoris see himself as a victim to the Confederates?
(a) He doesn't have enough resources for his regiment.
(b) They set his slaves free.
(c) He is betrayed by them.
(d) They take advantage of his family.
4. How long do Ringo and Bayard wait on the road?
(a) A week.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Two days.
(d) Ten hours.
5. How does Buck decide which slaves he sets free?
(a) He waits for signs from God.
(b) He sets the older ones free.
(c) Whoever does better work.
(d) He draws names from a hat.
6. How does Bayard feel about taking orders from this father?
7. The Union prisoners escape but leave their _______ behind.
8. How many regiments has Colonel Sartoris made?
9. Why is Philadelphy sobbing when Loosh and Granny confront each other?
(a) Because she knows Loosh is wrong.
(b) Because he doesn't want to leave the farm.
(c) Because she doesn't like confrontation.
(d) Because Granny is sad.
10. What is the main reason Granny profits from her meeting with Colonel Dick?
(a) He believes she is on his side.
(b) She is sweet and innocent.
(c) Colonel Dick is loyal to the South.
(d) He misheard her story.
11. As the Union soldiers leave Sartoris' burning house, how does Granny respond?
(a) She shoots at them.
(b) She curses them.
(c) She cries.
(d) She is indifferent.
12. How does Colonel Dick compensate Granny?
(a) He hugs her.
(b) He gives her more silver and mules.
(c) He helps her cross the river.
(d) He gives her advise.
13. Why didn't Sartoris let both McCaslin brothers enlist?
(a) They're too old.
(b) There are too many soldiers.
(c) They are loyal to the Union.
(d) They're not serious enough.
14. How did the Union discover the silver?
(a) Sartoris tells them.
(b) Loosh tells them.
(c) They have a sixth sense.
(d) They followed Granny home.
15. Why does Sartoris see himself as a victim to the Union?
(a) He can't protect his family.
(b) They took his silver.
(c) They bribe him to join them.
(d) They are winning the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sartoris able to take the Union regiment prisoner so easily?
2. Why do many slaves begin betraying their masters?
3. Why do the Confederate troops encourage Granny to go back home?
4. Ringo and Bayard have growing ______ to protect their town.
5. After Granny returns home, where is the silver?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)