|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Drusilla views her new life as _______.
2. What is Drusilla's main goal?
(a) To own her own land.
(b) To free the slaves.
(c) To get married.
(d) Joining Sartoris' regiment.
3. How does Bayard feel about taking orders from this father?
4. How do the slaves respond to Loosh explaining the Union is coming to free them?
(a) They kick him out.
(b) They hug and kiss him.
(c) They get angry at Loosh.
(d) They ignore him.
5. Why does Granny read recipes to Ringo and Bayard?
(a) To teach them.
(b) To put them to sleep.
(c) To entertain them.
(d) To distract them.
6. Why is Granny able to return home safely after visiting Colonel Dick?
(a) She takes a back road home.
(b) He writes her a letter for protection.
(c) The other Union troops are afraid of her.
(d) She has Bayard to protect her.
7. When the Union soldiers arrive at Sartoris' house looking for him, he escapes by pretending to be a deaf _______.
(c) Union soldier.
8. Bayard observes that although the war is tragic, he has never experiences such ______.
9. What was Granny's disturbing dream at the beginning of "Retreat"?
(a) Someone takes Bayard.
(b) The Union wins the war.
(c) Someone finds their silver.
(d) Someone burns her house.
10. While discussing Sartoris, Uncle Buck shouts loud ______.
11. Drusilla compares the fighting Confederates and Union on the railroad to ______.
(a) Iron knights.
(b) A train wreck.
(c) Dogs and cats.
(d) Mythical gods.
12. What does Granny offer to Colonel Dick?
(d) A mule.
13. When the slaves are asked to carry the chest of silver up the stairs, they grumble and ______.
14. Where do Granny and Bayard end up living?
(a) A make-shift shack.
(b) An abandoned farmhouse.
(c) Joby's cabin.
(d) In the woods.
15. What does the Sartoris family hide their silver in?
(a) The stove.
(b) A bag of laundry.
(c) A trunk.
(d) The floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ringo is lass of a slave and more of a ______ to Bayard.
2. The last time Drusilla saw the railroad, she says it was ______.
3. At the beginning of "Retreat," where is the Sartoris family fleeing?
4. Why is Ringo not concerned about leaving Granny alone?
5. Why does Granny pray after the soldiers leave?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)