|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ringo asks Bayard who he thinks Granny dreamed about. Bayard says ______.
(a) His father.
(d) A stranger.
2. What does Drusilla tell Granny the Union troops are not letting the slaves do?
(a) Return home.
(b) Cross the river.
(c) Eat their food.
(d) Fight with them.
3. After Bayard shoots, Ringo screams that who is coming after them?
(c) "The whole army."
4. How do the slaves respond to Loosh explaining the Union is coming to free them?
(a) They kick him out.
(b) They get angry at Loosh.
(c) They hug and kiss him.
(d) They ignore him.
5. When his father returns home, Bayard observes he has the "smell of ______."
(d) Union soldiers.
6. While playing Civil War, who does Ringo want to play?
(a) Colonel Dick.
(b) The Union General.
(c) Colonel Sartoris.
(d) The Confederate General.
7. How does Colonel Dick compensate Granny?
(a) He hugs her.
(b) He helps her cross the river.
(c) He gives her more silver and mules.
(d) He gives her advise.
8. Why does Granny scold Ringo and Bayard?
(a) For shooting.
(b) For cursing.
(c) For coming to her.
(d) For not bathing.
9. What is Rosa Miller's relation to Sartoris?
(a) She is his mother-in-law.
(b) She is his sister.
(c) She is his mother.
(d) She is his employee.
10. Which soldier does Bayard shoot at?
(a) The first one he sees.
(b) The Colonel.
(c) The biggest and strongest.
(d) The oldest.
11. Why isn't Uncle Buck fighting in the army?
(a) He broke his leg.
(b) He ran away.
(c) He lost a poker game.
(d) He was found to be a traitor.
12. When Ringo and Bayard find Granny back home, what does she have?
(a) Three slaves.
(b) Two new horses.
(c) Union prisoners.
(d) More silver.
13. Why does Granny read recipes to Ringo and Bayard?
(a) To teach them.
(b) To put them to sleep.
(c) To distract them.
(d) To entertain them.
14. What was Granny's disturbing dream at the beginning of "Retreat"?
(a) Someone burns her house.
(b) Someone takes Bayard.
(c) The Union wins the war.
(d) Someone finds their silver.
15. Why is Ringo not concerned about leaving Granny alone?
(a) No one wants to hurt her.
(b) He has more important plans.
(c) She can take care of herself.
(d) He is inconsiderate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Drusilla very accomplished in?
2. Why do many slaves begin betraying their masters?
3. Bayard observes that although the war is tragic, he has never experiences such ______.
4. Why do many slaves decide to return to Jefferson with Granny?
5. Bayard remarks that, between he and Ringo, skin color and smarts didn't count anymore. What does count, in his eyes?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)