|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bayard observes that although the war is tragic, he has never experiences such ______.
2. Faulkner compares the slaves' migration like racing to:
(a) The gates of heaven.
(c) The promised land.
(d) The finish line.
3. Why is Sartoris able to take the Union regiment prisoner so easily?
(a) He lures them away from their camp.
(b) He has more weapons.
(c) The regiment is weak.
(d) He pretends to have a larger regiment.
4. What happened at Vicksburg?
(a) It was overthrown by the Confederates.
(b) It fell to the Union.
(c) Everyone evacuated.
(d) It formed its own nation.
5. Which regiment was Sartoris voted out of?
(a) His pretend regiment.
(b) His second.
(c) His first.
(d) None of them.
6. How does Bayard balance his gun?
(a) On his arm.
(b) On his knee.
(c) On Ringo's back.
(d) On a log.
7. While discussing Sartoris, Uncle Buck shouts loud ______.
8. Why is Granny able to return home safely after visiting Colonel Dick?
(a) She has Bayard to protect her.
(b) She takes a back road home.
(c) The other Union troops are afraid of her.
(d) He writes her a letter for protection.
9. Why does Granny read recipes to Ringo and Bayard?
(a) To put them to sleep.
(b) To teach them.
(c) To entertain them.
(d) To distract them.
10. How many regiments has Colonel Sartoris made?
11. What does the Sartoris family hide their silver in?
(a) The floor.
(b) The stove.
(c) A bag of laundry.
(d) A trunk.
12. As the Union soldiers leave Sartoris' burning house, how does Granny respond?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She shoots at them.
(c) She cries.
(d) She curses them.
13. How do the slaves respond to Loosh explaining the Union is coming to free them?
(a) They get angry at Loosh.
(b) They kick him out.
(c) They hug and kiss him.
(d) They ignore him.
14. How does Granny gain Colonel Dick's sympathy?
(a) She tells him a story about the abusive Confederates.
(b) She tells him the story of her mules being stolen.
(c) She pretends to be injured.
(d) She tells a story of her starving grandchildren.
15. Why is the family hiding their silver?
(a) Bayard and Ringo play with it too much.
(b) They want to appear modest.
(c) It's illegal.
(d) The Union is coming.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Granny returns home, where is the silver?
2. At the beginning of "Retreat," where is the Sartoris family fleeing?
3. How long do Ringo and Bayard wait on the road?
4. How did Bayard's mother die?
5. Why does Granny pray after the soldiers leave?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)