|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which soldier does Bayard shoot at?
(a) The oldest.
(b) The first one he sees.
(c) The Colonel.
(d) The biggest and strongest.
2. Bayard remarks that, between he and Ringo, skin color and smarts didn't count anymore. What does count, in his eyes?
(a) Their age.
(b) Their ability.
(c) Their courage.
(d) What they'd seen or done.
3. When his father returns home, Bayard observes he has the "smell of ______."
(a) Union soldiers.
4. Bayard observes that although the war is tragic, he has never experiences such ______.
5. Why do many slaves decide to return to Jefferson with Granny?
(a) They want to steal her silver.
(b) They are frightened by the scene at the river.
(c) The Colonel orders them to.
(d) They will have food and shelter.
6. At the beginning of "Retreat," where is the Sartoris family fleeing?
7. Why do many slaves begin betraying their masters?
(a) They see an opportunity for payback.
(b) They get money for information.
(c) The Union promises them freedom for their help.
(d) Because they are fed up.
8. Drusilla compares the fighting Confederates and Union on the railroad to ______.
(a) Iron knights.
(b) Dogs and cats.
(c) Mythical gods.
(d) A train wreck.
9. Which Union regiment does Sartoris encounter with Ringo and Bayard?
(a) The one who stole their horses.
(b) The ruthless one they heard about.
(c) The one holding Sartoris hostage.
(d) The one who they shot at.
10. "Retreat" begins ______ after the conclusion of "Ambuscade."
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) A week.
(d) Two days.
11. What is Drusilla meant to represent?
(a) The effects of war.
(b) The fight to survive.
(c) The ruthlessness of humanity.
(d) The changing norm of women.
12. Why is Granny unable to pull herself out of the river?
(a) She's lazy.
(b) She's going down stream.
(c) She's fainted.
(d) She's weak
13. Where does Loosh sneak off to in the middle of the night?
14. While discussing Sartoris, Uncle Buck shouts loud ______.
15. What does the Sartoris family use for ink?
(a) Berry juice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ringo and Bayard are _____ years old in "Raid."
2. Ringo asks Bayard who he thinks Granny dreamed about. Bayard says ______.
3. Why does Colonel Dick leave Granny's house?
4. How does Bayard balance his gun?
5. How did Bayard's mother die?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)