|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Ringo and Bayard spy on Loosh?
(a) They find his movements interesting.
(b) They are playing a game.
(c) They think he's stealing.
(d) They think he knows something.
2. Which soldier does Bayard shoot at?
(a) The biggest and strongest.
(b) The oldest.
(c) The Colonel.
(d) The first one he sees.
3. What does Drusilla tell Granny the Union troops are not letting the slaves do?
(a) Cross the river.
(b) Fight with them.
(c) Return home.
(d) Eat their food.
4. What is Drusilla meant to represent?
(a) The fight to survive.
(b) The ruthlessness of humanity.
(c) The effects of war.
(d) The changing norm of women.
5. How does Colonel Dick compensate Granny?
(a) He gives her more silver and mules.
(b) He hugs her.
(c) He helps her cross the river.
(d) He gives her advise.
6. Why does Granny read recipes to Ringo and Bayard?
(a) To distract them.
(b) To entertain them.
(c) To put them to sleep.
(d) To teach them.
7. While playing Civil War, who does Ringo want to play?
(a) The Confederate General.
(b) Colonel Dick.
(c) The Union General.
(d) Colonel Sartoris.
8. Why were the slave woman and her baby left behind?
(a) They were too noisy.
(b) They were too slow.
(c) They ate too much food.
(d) They didn't want to leave.
9. As the Union soldiers leave Sartoris' burning house, how does Granny respond?
(a) She curses them.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She cries.
(d) She shoots at them.
10. How do the slaves respond to Loosh explaining the Union is coming to free them?
(a) They hug and kiss him.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They kick him out.
(d) They get angry at Loosh.
11. How does Bayard balance his gun?
(a) On his arm.
(b) On a log.
(c) On Ringo's back.
(d) On his knee.
12. Why does Sartoris return home at the beginning of "The Unvanquished"?
(a) To oversee the livestock pen.
(b) He was expelled from his regiment.
(c) To bring a message.
(d) He's fallen ill.
13. Why is Granny unable to pull herself out of the river?
(a) She's weak
(b) She's lazy.
(c) She's going down stream.
(d) She's fainted.
14. Why is Ringo not concerned about leaving Granny alone?
(a) She can take care of herself.
(b) No one wants to hurt her.
(c) He has more important plans.
(d) He is inconsiderate.
15. How long do Ringo and Bayard wait on the road?
(a) A week.
(b) Ten hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Sartoris let both McCaslin brothers enlist?
2. After Bayard shoots, Ringo screams that who is coming after them?
3. Which Union regiment does Sartoris encounter with Ringo and Bayard?
4. While fleeing, why does Granny refuse to sleep in the farmhouse?
5. Drusilla views her new life as _______.
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)