|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the slaves respond to Loosh explaining the Union is coming to free them?
(a) They get angry at Loosh.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They hug and kiss him.
(d) They kick him out.
2. Why does Granny pray after the soldiers leave?
(a) To ask that they don't come back looking.
(b) To ask for forgiveness for the boys shooting.
(c) To ask for forgiveness for lying.
(d) To ask for the safe return of her son.
3. Why is Ringo not concerned about leaving Granny alone?
(a) He has more important plans.
(b) She can take care of herself.
(c) He is inconsiderate.
(d) No one wants to hurt her.
4. What does Drusilla tell Granny the Union troops are not letting the slaves do?
(a) Cross the river.
(b) Return home.
(c) Eat their food.
(d) Fight with them.
5. Which regiment was Sartoris voted out of?
(a) His second.
(b) None of them.
(c) His first.
(d) His pretend regiment.
6. As the Union soldiers leave Sartoris' burning house, how does Granny respond?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She shoots at them.
(c) She curses them.
(d) She cries.
7. Bayard remarks that, between he and Ringo, skin color and smarts didn't count anymore. What does count, in his eyes?
(a) Their courage.
(b) What they'd seen or done.
(c) Their ability.
(d) Their age.
8. When his father returns home, Bayard observes he has the "smell of ______."
(d) Union soldiers.
9. Why does Sartoris return home at the beginning of "The Unvanquished"?
(a) To oversee the livestock pen.
(b) He was expelled from his regiment.
(c) To bring a message.
(d) He's fallen ill.
10. After the encounter with the slave woman, what does Ringo predict?
(a) They will return home.
(b) They will help her safety.
(c) They will also leave her behind.
(d) They may die.
11. Why does Sartoris see himself as a victim to the Confederates?
(a) He doesn't have enough resources for his regiment.
(b) They take advantage of his family.
(c) He is betrayed by them.
(d) They set his slaves free.
12. After Granny returns home, where is the silver?
(a) With the Union soldiers.
(c) In the farmhouse.
(d) With the slaves.
13. Ringo and Bayard are _____ years old in "Raid."
14. What is Drusilla's main goal?
(a) To free the slaves.
(b) Joining Sartoris' regiment.
(c) To own her own land.
(d) To get married.
15. What was Granny's disturbing dream at the beginning of "Retreat"?
(a) The Union wins the war.
(b) Someone finds their silver.
(c) Someone takes Bayard.
(d) Someone burns her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Granny able to return home safely after visiting Colonel Dick?
2. After Bayard shoots, Ringo screams that who is coming after them?
3. While discussing Sartoris, Uncle Buck shouts loud ______.
4. Where do Granny and Bayard end up living?
5. Where does Granny hide Ringo and Bayard?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)