|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Bayard's mother die?
(a) A farming accident.
(b) In childbirth.
(c) It's still a mystery.
(d) In the war.
2. Faulkner compares the slaves' migration like racing to:
(a) The finish line.
(b) The gates of heaven.
(d) The promised land.
3. Why is the family hiding their silver?
(a) It's illegal.
(b) Bayard and Ringo play with it too much.
(c) They want to appear modest.
(d) The Union is coming.
4. Why is Drusilla relieved by the war?
(a) She can live the life she wants.
(b) She can make a profit.
(c) She always wanted an independent country.
(d) She can finally free her slaves.
5. Why is Ringo not concerned about leaving Granny alone?
(a) He is inconsiderate.
(b) No one wants to hurt her.
(c) She can take care of herself.
(d) He has more important plans.
6. In "Ambuscade" Bayard believes the front lines are in ______.
(a) New York.
7. The last time Drusilla saw the railroad, she says it was ______.
(a) A battle ground.
(b) In tact.
(c) Being rebuilt.
8. Why do many slaves begin betraying their masters?
(a) The Union promises them freedom for their help.
(b) Because they are fed up.
(c) They see an opportunity for payback.
(d) They get money for information.
9. What is Drusilla's main goal?
(a) To free the slaves.
(b) Joining Sartoris' regiment.
(c) To get married.
(d) To own her own land.
10. At the beginning of "Retreat," where is the Sartoris family fleeing?
11. Why were the slave woman and her baby left behind?
(a) They ate too much food.
(b) They were too slow.
(c) They didn't want to leave.
(d) They were too noisy.
12. After Bayard shoots, Ringo screams that who is coming after them?
(d) "The whole army."
13. Drusilla compares the fighting Confederates and Union on the railroad to ______.
(a) Dogs and cats.
(b) Mythical gods.
(c) A train wreck.
(d) Iron knights.
14. Why is Sartoris able to take the Union regiment prisoner so easily?
(a) The regiment is weak.
(b) He lures them away from their camp.
(c) He has more weapons.
(d) He pretends to have a larger regiment.
15. Why do Ringo and Bayard spy on Loosh?
(a) They are playing a game.
(b) They think he knows something.
(c) They think he's stealing.
(d) They find his movements interesting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Drusilla views her new life as _______.
2. Before bed, with the silver in her room, what does Granny do for the first time ever?
3. What is the main reason Granny profits from her meeting with Colonel Dick?
4. What does the Sartoris family hide their silver in?
5. Why does Sartoris see himself as a victim to the Confederates?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)