|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Union prisoners escape but leave their _______ behind.
2. When the Union soldiers arrive at Sartoris' house looking for him, he escapes by pretending to be a deaf _______.
(c) Union soldier.
3. Ringo is lass of a slave and more of a ______ to Bayard.
4. While working, Bayard pretends to be who?
(a) A professional carpenter.
(b) One of his father's soldiers.
(c) His father.
(d) A Union soldier.
5. Bayard observes that although the war is tragic, he has never experiences such ______.
6. Faulkner compares the slaves' migration like racing to:
(a) The gates of heaven.
(b) The finish line.
(d) The promised land.
7. What is the main reason Granny profits from her meeting with Colonel Dick?
(a) Colonel Dick is loyal to the South.
(b) He believes she is on his side.
(c) She is sweet and innocent.
(d) He misheard her story.
8. How does Buck decide which slaves he sets free?
(a) He draws names from a hat.
(b) He sets the older ones free.
(c) Whoever does better work.
(d) He waits for signs from God.
9. Which soldier does Bayard shoot at?
(a) The Colonel.
(b) The oldest.
(c) The biggest and strongest.
(d) The first one he sees.
10. What does the Sartoris family use for ink?
(d) Berry juice.
11. Why does Colonel Dick leave Granny's house?
(a) He respects her resolve.
(b) He feels bad for intruding.
(c) He's tired of looking.
(d) He believes her story.
12. What does Drusilla tell Granny the Union troops are not letting the slaves do?
(a) Cross the river.
(b) Fight with them.
(c) Return home.
(d) Eat their food.
13. Granny's wagon is pushed into the river by a "_____" of slaves.
14. What was Granny's disturbing dream at the beginning of "Retreat"?
(a) The Union wins the war.
(b) Someone takes Bayard.
(c) Someone burns her house.
(d) Someone finds their silver.
15. What is Rosa Miller's relation to Sartoris?
(a) She is his mother-in-law.
(b) She is his mother.
(c) She is his employee.
(d) She is his sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Granny scold Ringo and Bayard?
2. Why were the slave woman and her baby left behind?
3. How does Bayard balance his gun?
4. Loosh argues that he is as just as _______.
5. At the beginning of "Ambuscade," what map is Bayard drawing?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)