Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Ambuscade: Chapters 1-4 Abstract
* Loosh learns that the front lines are closer than the town thinks.
* Colonel Sartoris returns home.
Retreat: Chapters 1-2 Abstract
* Bayard and Sartoris build a livestock pen.
* Bayard wants his father to tell him of his adventures, but is sent to bed.
* Bayard overhears his father talking about Vicksburg falling and that...
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)