|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the coal company which has negative intent for Homeplace?
2. What is the name of the organization run by the man in #101?
3. For what does Hassel pray when the bishop comes?
4. What part of his body does Dillon injure when he falls down a hill?
5. What happens to Tom that produces a fatal injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
2. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
3. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
4. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
5. What are the possible interpretations of Tom's telling Jackie that they are "not done" yet?
6. What miracle has Hassel seen?
7. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
8. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
9. How does Dillon show his devotion to Rachel at her funeral?
10. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Giardina choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Jackie. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Jackie?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)