|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who unexpectedly returns to town?
2. What does Jackie tell Tom even though he is dead when she reaches him?
3. Jackie talks to Dillon about her feelings regarding _________________.
4. Who dies in Jackie's arms?
5. Who becomes emotional when the graves are moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
2. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
3. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
4. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
5. How will Jackie's profession allow her to shed light on the poverty and suffering of people in her hometown?
6. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
7. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
8. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
9. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
10. How does Dillon show his devotion to Rachel at her funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story, especially the mines. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Dillon. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dillon?
Essay Topic 3
Forbidden love is an important theme in "The Unquiet Earth". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)