|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Brenda fall in love?
2. When Tom leaves, he tells Jackie that ______________________.
3. Rachel is taken by helicopter to a cardiac unit of a hospital in which city?
4. Why is Dillon coming to Washington, D.C.?
5. What does Tom finally confess to Jackie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
2. What is Jackie's role in the miners' strike as a member of the press?
3. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
4. How does Hassel help Tom out when he learns that the bishop is coming for a visit?
5. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
6. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
7. How will Jackie's profession allow her to shed light on the poverty and suffering of people in her hometown?
8. What miracle has Hassel seen?
9. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
10. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forbidden love is an important theme in "The Unquiet Earth". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)