|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Hassel and Tom go to the Governor's Office in Charleston?
2. What does the company in #134 plan to do in Homeplace?
3. What happens to Tom that produces a fatal injury?
4. A doctor from which town comes looking for Dillon?
5. When Tom leaves, he tells Jackie that ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
2. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
3. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
4. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
5. What impact can Dillon see that the strike will have on the way of life he has known?
6. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
7. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
8. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
9. What miracle has Hassel seen?
10. How does Dillon show his devotion to Rachel at her funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Dillon. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dillon?
Essay Topic 3
Giardina is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)