|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies in Jackie's arms?
2. Why do Hassel and Tom go to the Governor's Office in Charleston?
3. Between what years does "Death by Water" take place?
4. In what town does Jackie buy a house?
5. Why does Rachel hire a cook and housekeeper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
2. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
3. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
4. What are the possible interpretations of Tom's telling Jackie that they are "not done" yet?
5. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
6. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
7. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
8. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
9. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
10. How does Hassel help Tom out when he learns that the bishop is coming for a visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Tom. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tom?
Essay Topic 2
Forbidden love is an important theme in "The Unquiet Earth". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story, especially the mines. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)