|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jackie talks to Dillon about her feelings regarding _________________.
2. When Dillon gets to the hospital, Jackie tells him that Rachel is dying because ____________________.
3. Jackie is upset because _____________ has left the area.
4. What does the company in #134 plan to do in Homeplace?
5. Where does Tom move to eventually?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
2. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
3. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
4. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
5. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
6. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
7. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
8. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
9. How does Dillon show his devotion to Rachel at her funeral?
10. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author present point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular style of presenting points of view from the main characters? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Tom. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tom?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Giardina choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)