|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which company has bought out The American Coal Company?
2. What does Tom grab on to to keep from being washed away in the water?
3. How many people agree to attend mass when the bishop comes?
4. What does Dillon do every year on the anniversary of the day he and Rachel first made love?
5. Against which company do the coal miners wage a strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
2. What are the possible interpretations of Tom's telling Jackie that they are "not done" yet?
3. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
4. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
5. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
6. How does Dillon show his devotion to Rachel at her funeral?
7. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
8. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
9. How will Jackie's profession allow her to shed light on the poverty and suffering of people in her hometown?
10. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is, and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Dillon. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dillon?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)