|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The way that the vine grows up the tree is in the shape of ____________________.
2. What does Tom finally confess to Jackie?
3. What is the type of vine that Hassel has seen growing up a tree?
4. Why is Dillon coming to Washington, D.C.?
5. Why do Hassel and Tom go to the Governor's Office in Charleston?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
2. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
3. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
4. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
5. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
6. How does Hassel help Tom out when he learns that the bishop is coming for a visit?
7. How does Dillon show his devotion to Rachel at her funeral?
8. What impact can Dillon see that the strike will have on the way of life he has known?
9. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
10. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Tom. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tom?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jackie's life. Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living? What work will she be doing? What will her thoughts about the world be at this time? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)