|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackie rescue of the scattered remains to give to Dillon?
2. What is at the core of Tom's problems?
3. Who does Dillon see on a TV program broadcast from the Kennedy Center?
4. Why do Hassel and Tom go to the Governor's Office in Charleston?
5. Why does the person in #151 advise Jackie to leave the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
2. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
3. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
4. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
5. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
6. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
7. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
8. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
9. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
10. What is Jackie's role in the miners' strike as a member of the press?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the conflict between the people who lived in the coal mining region of West Virginia and those involved in the government programs designed to provide aid.
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story, especially the mines. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Rachel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rachel?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)