|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackie tell Tom even though he is dead when she reaches him?
2. Who/what is Rachel looking at when she dies?
3. When Tom leaves, he tells Jackie that ______________________.
4. What happens when the dam begins to breach?
5. What part of his body does Dillon injure when he falls down a hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Giardina end the story on a note of hope for Jackie or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story, especially the mines. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)