|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do after the dam bursts?
2. Jackie talks to Dillon about her feelings regarding _________________.
3. What does Tom grab on to to keep from being washed away in the water?
4. Who is Sim's son who is missing in the flood?
5. Who/what is Rachel looking at when she dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
2. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
3. How does Dillon show his devotion to Rachel at her funeral?
4. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
5. How does Hassel help Tom out when he learns that the bishop is coming for a visit?
6. What is Jackie's role in the miners' strike as a member of the press?
7. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
8. What miracle has Hassel seen?
9. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
10. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giardina is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jackie's life. Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living? What work will she be doing? What will her thoughts about the world be at this time? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Giardina choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)