|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jackie is upset because _____________ has left the area.
2. What happens to Tom that produces a fatal injury?
3. In what year does "God's Bones" take place?
4. In what town does Jackie buy a house?
5. What is at the core of Tom's problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
2. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
3. What are the possible interpretations of Tom's telling Jackie that they are "not done" yet?
4. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
5. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
6. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
7. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
8. What miracle has Hassel seen?
9. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
10. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jackie's life. Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living? What work will she be doing? What will her thoughts about the world be at this time? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Jackie. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Jackie?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)