|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Against which company do the coal miners wage a strike?
2. Why is Tom disheartened by saying Mass every Sunday?
3. Who inspects the dam with Dillon?
4. What is the name of the organization run by the man in #101?
5. The way that the vine grows up the tree is in the shape of ____________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the conflict between the people who lived in the coal mining region of West Virginia and those involved in the government programs designed to provide aid.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author present point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular style of presenting points of view from the main characters? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)