|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper where Jackie takes a job?
2. What does Dillon do when the remains are scattered around?
3. What does Tom grab on to to keep from being washed away in the water?
4. What does Jackie write editorials about during this period?
5. Why is Tom worried about the bishop's upcoming visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
2. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
3. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
4. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
5. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
6. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
7. How does Hassel help Tom out when he learns that the bishop is coming for a visit?
8. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
9. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
10. What are the possible interpretations of Tom's telling Jackie that they are "not done" yet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dillon and Tony. Both young men are trying to have a life with Rachel but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Dillon and Tony alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jackie's life. Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living? What work will she be doing? What will her thoughts about the world be at this time? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Rachel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rachel?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)