|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hassel pick up while at the Governor's Office?
2. Tom and Jackie make love before he goes to _________________.
3. What happens when the dam machinery is overworked?
4. From what addiction does Tom suffer?
5. Who becomes emotional when the graves are moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
2. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
3. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
4. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
5. What impact can Dillon see that the strike will have on the way of life he has known?
6. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
7. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
8. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
9. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
10. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the conflict between the people who lived in the coal mining region of West Virginia and those involved in the government programs designed to provide aid.
Essay Topic 2
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Giardina is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)