|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Against which company do the coal miners wage a strike?
2. Who has all the poverty money sent to him so that he can dole it out?
3. In what year does "God's Bones" take place?
4. Why is Tom disheartened by saying Mass every Sunday?
5. Dillon vows to see Rachel ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
2. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
3. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
4. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
5. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
6. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
7. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
8. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
9. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
10. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the conflict between the people who lived in the coal mining region of West Virginia and those involved in the government programs designed to provide aid.
Essay Topic 2
Giardina is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Dillon. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dillon?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)