|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jackie is upset because _____________ has left the area.
2. A doctor from which town comes looking for Dillon?
3. What does Dillon finally admit to Jackie?
4. What does Dillon do every year on the anniversary of the day he and Rachel first made love?
5. Why does Rachel hire a cook and housekeeper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
2. How will Jackie's profession allow her to shed light on the poverty and suffering of people in her hometown?
3. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
4. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
5. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
6. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
7. What are the possible interpretations of Tom's telling Jackie that they are "not done" yet?
8. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
9. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
10. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Tom. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tom?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rachel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rachel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is, and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)