|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what subject does Jackie earn a degree?
2. What does Tom finally confess to Jackie?
3. Who unexpectedly returns to town?
4. What does Jackie write editorials about during this period?
5. Who does Dillon see on a TV program broadcast from the Kennedy Center?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact can Dillon see that the strike will have on the way of life he has known?
2. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
3. What is Jackie's role in the miners' strike as a member of the press?
4. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
5. How will Jackie's profession allow her to shed light on the poverty and suffering of people in her hometown?
6. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
7. What miracle has Hassel seen?
8. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
9. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
10. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Dillon. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dillon?
Essay Topic 2
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author present point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular style of presenting points of view from the main characters? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)