|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Brenda fall in love?
2. What happens to Tom that produces a fatal injury?
3. What does the company in #134 plan to do in Homeplace?
4. What part of his body does Dillon injure when he falls down a hill?
5. Why does Rachel hire a cook and housekeeper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
2. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
3. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
4. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
5. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
6. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
7. How does Hassel help Tom out when he learns that the bishop is coming for a visit?
8. What are the possible interpretations of Tom's telling Jackie that they are "not done" yet?
9. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
10. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jackie's life. Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living? What work will she be doing? What will her thoughts about the world be at this time? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is, and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)