|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who/what is Rachel looking at when she dies?
2. A guard at a picket line tells Jackie to get away even though _____________________.
3. Where is Rachel buried after her death?
4. Jackie is upset because _____________ has left the area.
5. What does the company in #134 plan to do in Homeplace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
2. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
3. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
4. What impact can Dillon see that the strike will have on the way of life he has known?
5. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
6. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
7. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
8. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
9. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
10. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giardina is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dillon and Tony. Both young men are trying to have a life with Rachel but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Dillon and Tony alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)