|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dillon gets to the hospital, Jackie tells him that Rachel is dying because ____________________.
2. What is at the core of Tom's problems?
3. At the picket line, someone puts up a sign that says ____________________.
4. What does Tom grab on to to keep from being washed away in the water?
5. When Tom leaves, he tells Jackie that ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
2. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
3. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
4. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
5. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
6. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
7. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
8. How does Dillon show his devotion to Rachel at her funeral?
9. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
10. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story, especially the mines. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Forbidden love is an important theme in "The Unquiet Earth". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)