|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tom's body taken after he is injured?
2. Jackie's last words to Tom are similar to _____________________.
3. Who/what is Rachel looking at when she dies?
4. What does Dillon promise to do if Jackie takes the job in #105?
5. Why is Tom worried about the bishop's upcoming visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
2. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
3. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
4. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
5. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
6. What miracle has Hassel seen?
7. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
8. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
9. How will Jackie's profession allow her to shed light on the poverty and suffering of people in her hometown?
10. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Jackie. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Jackie?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Rachel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rachel?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)