|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies in Jackie's arms?
2. In what subject does Jackie earn a degree?
3. What does Tom grab on to to keep from being washed away in the water?
4. What happens when the machine moving the graves malfunctions?
5. Tom and Jackie make love before he goes to _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hassel help Tom out when he learns that the bishop is coming for a visit?
2. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
3. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
4. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
5. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
6. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
7. What is Jackie's role in the miners' strike as a member of the press?
8. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
9. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
10. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Giardina is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)