|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is VISTA?
2. How does Tommie die?
3. What is the vocation of the young man in #77?
4. Where does Tony go when he leaves the house?
5. Who is shot in the head and will live brain damaged for the rest of her/his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
2. Who is Rachel Honaker and what are her feelings for Dillon?
3. Who does Rachel marry after Fred abandons her?
4. What makes Rachel ultimately surrender to her love for Dillon?
5. What are Dillon's feelings for Rachel and why does she try to keep him at a distance?
6. How do Carrie and Fiona differ in their opinions about a romantic relationship between Dillon and Rachel?
7. What does Jackie know about what Arthur Lee does to harm the people in the Number Thirteen community?
8. How does Dillon mirror his father's life regarding standing up for the coal miners?
9. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
10. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Dillon. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dillon?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is, and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author present point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular style of presenting points of view from the main characters? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)