Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillon beg Rachel not to do?
2. Why does everyone in her seventh grade class hate Jackie?
3. Why is Rachel's father going to Norfolk?
4. What is the name of the coal camp where Carrie stays with Flora?
5. Who does Rachel marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
2. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
3. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
4. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
5. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
6. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
7. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
8. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
9. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
10. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
There is much symbolism in this story, especially the mines. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Giardina choose to use these places in the novel?
How does the author present point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular style of presenting points of view from the main characters? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)