|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillon make for Jackie for supper?
2. When Rachel's marriage begins to fall apart, why does she not leave?
3. Rachel admits to Tommie that she really cares for whom?
4. People on Trace Mountain make their livings tending apple orchards and __________________.
5. Rachel and Jackie's new house is near which mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
2. How does Dillon's prison sentence negatively impact his relationship with Rachel?
3. Who does Rachel marry after Fred abandons her?
4. What possibilities does Arthur Lee consider doing when Rachel tells him that she loves Dillon?
5. How does Dillon begin to act bolder when Rachel is grieving for her mother?
6. In contrast to how Tony treats Jackie, how does Dillon treat her when she stays with him?
7. Why does Rachel stay in her unhappy marriage with Tony?
8. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
9. What reasons do Dillon and Fiona have for not wanting Rachel to go away to nursing school?
10. What secret does Rachel keep from Dillon that plays a large part in her decision to live with Arthur Lee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giardina is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Tom. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tom?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)