|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city is Dillon serving time in a federal penitentiary?
2. What is the vocation of the young man in #77?
3. What animal does Dillon hit while driving home?
4. One day Tony tells Jackie that _______________ is sick and in the hospital.
5. Who leads a strike of hundreds of miners in a labor dispute?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Rachel ultimately surrender to her love for Dillon?
2. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
3. Who is Tony Angelelli?
4. How does Dillon's prison sentence negatively impact his relationship with Rachel?
5. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
6. Why is Rachel conflicted in her feelings even though she has found a rich boy who wants to marry her?
7. Why does Dillon feel compelled to lead the strike in spite of the trouble between him and Rachel?
8. How does Dillon mirror his father's life regarding standing up for the coal miners?
9. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
10. How do Carrie and Fiona differ in their opinions about a romantic relationship between Dillon and Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
Essay Topic 2
Forbidden love is an important theme in "The Unquiet Earth". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author present point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular style of presenting points of view from the main characters? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)