|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tommie die?
2. Who is Arthur Lee Sizemore?
3. Where had Fred told Rachel he was going to go to marry her?
4. Who does Rachel begin to date after her relationship with Fred ends?
5. About what topic does Dillon obsess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
2. Who is Rachel Honaker and what are her feelings for Dillon?
3. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
4. How do Carrie and Fiona differ in their opinions about a romantic relationship between Dillon and Rachel?
5. What possibilities does Arthur Lee consider doing when Rachel tells him that she loves Dillon?
6. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
7. What reasons do Dillon and Fiona have for not wanting Rachel to go away to nursing school?
8. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
9. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
10. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forbidden love is an important theme in "The Unquiet Earth". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)