|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rachel refuse to leave Tony?
2. Where do Rachel and Tommie work as army nurses?
3. Why does Jackie swear she will hate Tony forever?
4. What is the name of the region where Rachel lives?
5. What is the name of the coal camp where Carrie stays with Flora?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rachel conflicted in her feelings even though she has found a rich boy who wants to marry her?
2. How does Dillon's prison sentence negatively impact his relationship with Rachel?
3. Why does Rachel stay in her unhappy marriage with Tony?
4. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
5. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
6. Who is Tony Angelelli?
7. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
8. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
9. Who does Rachel marry after Fred abandons her?
10. What are Dillon's feelings for Rachel and why does she try to keep him at a distance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Giardina end the story on a note of hope for Jackie or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Giardina choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jackie's life. Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living? What work will she be doing? What will her thoughts about the world be at this time? Explain.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)