|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rachel think is the father of her baby?
2. What animal does Dillon hit while driving home?
3. What does Rachel name her baby?
4. What does Rachel's boyfriend give her as a souvenir of the war?
5. Why would Rachel's mother approve of Fred?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
2. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
3. What makes Rachel ultimately surrender to her love for Dillon?
4. What are Jackie's feelings about Dillon as the story ends?
5. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
6. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
7. How does Hassel help Tom out when he learns that the bishop is coming for a visit?
8. In contrast to how Tony treats Jackie, how does Dillon treat her when she stays with him?
9. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
10. Why does Rachel stay in her unhappy marriage with Tony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Unquiet Earth" is a classic story of the struggle to rise above circumstances. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Dillon. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dillon?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Tom. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tom?
This section contains 1,543 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)