|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what church do Rachel and Jackie belong?
2. Who does Rachel marry?
3. What does Dillon take Jackie up to Trace Mountain to see?
4. Rachel admits to Tommie that she really cares for whom?
5. What is Rachel's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
2. Who is Fred and how does he disappoint Rachel?
3. After the war, why does Rachel fight her attraction to Dillon even though he is even more good-looking now?
4. Why does Rachel stay in her unhappy marriage with Tony?
5. What does Jackie know about what Arthur Lee does to harm the people in the Number Thirteen community?
6. In contrast to how Tony treats Jackie, how does Dillon treat her when she stays with him?
7. Who is Tony Angelelli?
8. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
9. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
10. What possibilities does Arthur Lee consider doing when Rachel tells him that she loves Dillon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Dillon. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dillon?
Essay Topic 2
"The Unquiet Earth" is a classic story of the struggle to rise above circumstances. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Giardina is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)