|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Arthur Lee Sizemore?
2. Who leads a strike of hundreds of miners in a labor dispute?
3. Why does Rachel scream at Tony when he comes home with Jackie?
4. What is the name of the region where Rachel lives?
5. Who is shot in the head and will live brain damaged for the rest of her/his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dillon's prison sentence negatively impact his relationship with Rachel?
2. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
3. What makes Rachel ultimately surrender to her love for Dillon?
4. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
5. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
6. Who is Tony Angelelli?
7. What does Jackie know about what Arthur Lee does to harm the people in the Number Thirteen community?
8. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
9. Who does Rachel marry after Fred abandons her?
10. Why is Rachel conflicted in her feelings even though she has found a rich boy who wants to marry her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Rachel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rachel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Giardina choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)