|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony do with Jackie when he takes her to the Moose Club?
2. In what town is Dillon's house located?
3. Which U.S. President does Rachel see on TV talking about poverty?
4. Why are Rachel and Tommie teased in their jobs?
5. What is the river that runs through the region where the story takes place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
2. Who is Dillon Freeman and why does he idolize his dead father?
3. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
4. Who is Rachel Honaker and what are her feelings for Dillon?
5. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
6. What makes Rachel ultimately surrender to her love for Dillon?
7. Who is Fred and how does he disappoint Rachel?
8. What does Jackie know about what Arthur Lee does to harm the people in the Number Thirteen community?
9. How does Dillon begin to act bolder when Rachel is grieving for her mother?
10. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giardina is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Dillon. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dillon?
Essay Topic 3
"The Unquiet Earth" is a classic story of the struggle to rise above circumstances. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)