|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jackie swear she will hate Tony forever?
2. In what town is Dillon's house located?
3. What animal does Dillon hit while driving home?
4. Who is shot in the head and will live brain damaged for the rest of her/his life?
5. What does Dillon beg Rachel not to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
2. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
3. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
4. Why does Dillon feel compelled to lead the strike in spite of the trouble between him and Rachel?
5. What secret does Rachel keep from Dillon that plays a large part in her decision to live with Arthur Lee?
6. Why does Rachel stay in her unhappy marriage with Tony?
7. Who is Tony Angelelli?
8. How does Dillon's prison sentence negatively impact his relationship with Rachel?
9. In contrast to how Tony treats Jackie, how does Dillon treat her when she stays with him?
10. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Giardina choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
"The Unquiet Earth" is a classic story of the struggle to rise above circumstances. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)