|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel name her baby?
2. Why does Rachel refuse to leave Tony?
3. What is the name of the region where Rachel lives?
4. What does Dillon want Rachel to do after they have declared their love for each other?
5. On which young man does Jackie have a crush?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
2. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
3. What are Dillon's feelings for Rachel and why does she try to keep him at a distance?
4. Who is Rachel Honaker and what are her feelings for Dillon?
5. In contrast to how Tony treats Jackie, how does Dillon treat her when she stays with him?
6. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
7. Who is Tony Angelelli?
8. What reasons do Dillon and Fiona have for not wanting Rachel to go away to nursing school?
9. How does Dillon begin to act bolder when Rachel is grieving for her mother?
10. Why does Rachel stay in her unhappy marriage with Tony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forbidden love is an important theme in "The Unquiet Earth". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Rachel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rachel?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)