|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillon beg Rachel not to do?
2. Why does everyone in her seventh grade class hate Jackie?
3. Why is Rachel's father going to Norfolk?
4. What is the name of the coal camp where Carrie stays with Flora?
5. Who does Rachel marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
2. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
3. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
4. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
5. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
6. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
7. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
8. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
9. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
10. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Tom. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tom?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Jackie. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Jackie?
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)