|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rachel's last name?
2. Rachel's boyfriend's family is from which Southern city?
3. Where do Dillon and Rachel make love for the first time?
4. On which young man does Jackie have a crush?
5. How does Tommie die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dillon feel compelled to lead the strike in spite of the trouble between him and Rachel?
2. How does Dillon's prison sentence negatively impact his relationship with Rachel?
3. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
4. What secret does Rachel keep from Dillon that plays a large part in her decision to live with Arthur Lee?
5. After the war, why does Rachel fight her attraction to Dillon even though he is even more good-looking now?
6. Who does Rachel marry after Fred abandons her?
7. What reasons do Dillon and Fiona have for not wanting Rachel to go away to nursing school?
8. Who is Rachel Honaker and what are her feelings for Dillon?
9. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
10. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Rachel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rachel?
Essay Topic 2
Giardina is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story, especially the mines. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)