|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillon beg Rachel not to do?
2. What type of business does Dillon plan to open with Sim Gore?
3. What does Dillon do with the skull given to her by Fred?
4. What is the name of the coal camp where Carrie stays with Flora?
5. Who does Rachel refuse to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the war, why does Rachel fight her attraction to Dillon even though he is even more good-looking now?
2. Who is Rachel Honaker and what are her feelings for Dillon?
3. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
4. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
5. What makes Rachel ultimately surrender to her love for Dillon?
6. What is ironic about the governor's approval of a new bridge?
7. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
8. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
9. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
10. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jackie's life. Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living? What work will she be doing? What will her thoughts about the world be at this time? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Does Giardina end the story on a note of hope for Jackie or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
"The Unquiet Earth" is a classic story of the struggle to rise above circumstances. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)