|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day Tony tells Jackie that _______________ is sick and in the hospital.
2. People on Trace Mountain make their livings tending apple orchards and __________________.
3. How is Dillon related to Rachel?
4. What animal does Dillon hit while driving home?
5. What part of her body is broken when Rachel falls into the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What possibilities does Arthur Lee consider doing when Rachel tells him that she loves Dillon?
2. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
3. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
4. Where does Jackie move to after the devastation of the flood, and who stays in contact with her?
5. How does Dillon show his devotion to Rachel at her funeral?
6. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
7. How does Hassel help Tom out when he learns that the bishop is coming for a visit?
8. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
9. Who is Tony Angelelli?
10. What is Jackie's role in the miners' strike as a member of the press?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dillon and Tony. Both young men are trying to have a life with Rachel but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Dillon and Tony alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Does Giardina end the story on a note of hope for Jackie or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,510 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)