|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Dillon related to Rachel?
2. Who is Arthur Lee Sizemore?
3. Where had Fred told Rachel he was going to go to marry her?
4. Who does Rachel refuse to marry?
5. Where do Dillon and Rachel make love for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
2. What reasons do Dillon and Fiona have for not wanting Rachel to go away to nursing school?
3. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
4. How do Carrie and Fiona differ in their opinions about a romantic relationship between Dillon and Rachel?
5. Who is Rachel Honaker and what are her feelings for Dillon?
6. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
7. Why does Rachel stay in her unhappy marriage with Tony?
8. How does Dillon's prison sentence negatively impact his relationship with Rachel?
9. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
10. Who is Tony Angelelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dillon and Tony. Both young men are trying to have a life with Rachel but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Dillon and Tony alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jackie's life. Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living? What work will she be doing? What will her thoughts about the world be at this time? Explain.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)