|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Jackie afflicted at the age of eight?
2. How old is Toejam Day?
3. What does Dillon want Rachel to do after they have declared their love for each other?
4. A man from which government agency shows up at Dillon's house to tell him that there is an injunction against the strike?
5. How is Dillon related to Rachel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Fred and how does he disappoint Rachel?
2. Why is Rachel conflicted in her feelings even though she has found a rich boy who wants to marry her?
3. What makes Rachel ultimately surrender to her love for Dillon?
4. What does Jackie know about what Arthur Lee does to harm the people in the Number Thirteen community?
5. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
6. How does Dillon mirror his father's life regarding standing up for the coal miners?
7. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
8. What possibilities does Arthur Lee consider doing when Rachel tells him that she loves Dillon?
9. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
10. Who is Tony Angelelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giardina is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
"The Unquiet Earth" is a classic story of the struggle to rise above circumstances. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story, especially the mines. Cite at least three examples of symbolism and support your answers.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)