Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillon beg Rachel not to do?
2. Why does everyone in her seventh grade class hate Jackie?
3. Why is Rachel's father going to Norfolk?
4. What is the name of the coal camp where Carrie stays with Flora?
5. Who does Rachel marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
2. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
3. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
4. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
5. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
6. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
7. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
8. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
9. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
10. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dillon and Tony. Both young men are trying to have a life with Rachel but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Dillon and Tony alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author present point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular style of presenting points of view from the main characters? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)