|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town is Dillon's house located?
2. What is deducted from the coalminers' pay each week?
3. Why are Rachel and Tommie teased in their jobs?
4. What does Dillon do with the skull given to her by Fred?
5. In what state does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tony Angelelli?
2. In contrast to how Tony treats Jackie, how does Dillon treat her when she stays with him?
3. What does Jackie know about what Arthur Lee does to harm the people in the Number Thirteen community?
4. What secret does Rachel keep from Dillon that plays a large part in her decision to live with Arthur Lee?
5. Who is Fred and how does he disappoint Rachel?
6. After the war, why does Rachel fight her attraction to Dillon even though he is even more good-looking now?
7. What reasons do Dillon and Fiona have for not wanting Rachel to go away to nursing school?
8. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
9. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
10. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Giardina end the story on a note of hope for Jackie or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jackie's life. Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living? What work will she be doing? What will her thoughts about the world be at this time? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Dillon. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dillon?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)