|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A TV crew wants to film a company donating _____________ to local schoolchildren.
2. Who is the first boy who Rachel kisses?
3. What game does Dillon play with Jackie?
4. Whose house is blown up during the strike?
5. Who is Rachel's wealthy boyfriend in Manila?
Short Essay Questions
1. In contrast to how Tony treats Jackie, how does Dillon treat her when she stays with him?
2. What makes Rachel ultimately surrender to her love for Dillon?
3. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
4. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
5. How do Carrie and Fiona differ in their opinions about a romantic relationship between Dillon and Rachel?
6. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
7. How does Dillon begin to act bolder when Rachel is grieving for her mother?
8. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
9. What are Dillon's feelings for Rachel and why does she try to keep him at a distance?
10. Who does Rachel marry after Fred abandons her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dillon and Tony. Both young men are trying to have a life with Rachel but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Dillon and Tony alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Rachel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rachel?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)