|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rachel's father going to Norfolk?
2. Which U.S. President is killed while Dillon is in prison?
3. Who does Rachel marry?
4. Where do Rachel and Tommie work as army nurses?
5. With what disease is Rachel diagnosed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dillon begin to act bolder when Rachel is grieving for her mother?
2. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
3. How do Carrie and Fiona differ in their opinions about a romantic relationship between Dillon and Rachel?
4. What makes Rachel ultimately surrender to her love for Dillon?
5. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
6. After the war, why does Rachel fight her attraction to Dillon even though he is even more good-looking now?
7. How does Dillon's prison sentence negatively impact his relationship with Rachel?
8. Why is Rachel conflicted in her feelings even though she has found a rich boy who wants to marry her?
9. What secret does Rachel keep from Dillon that plays a large part in her decision to live with Arthur Lee?
10. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is, and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rachel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rachel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Jackie. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Jackie?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)