|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the region where Rachel lives?
2. Rachel tells Dillon that they can't become romantically involved because _____________________.
3. Where had Fred told Rachel he was going to go to marry her?
4. How does Tommie die?
5. Rachel's boyfriend's family is from which Southern city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rachel stay in her unhappy marriage with Tony?
2. How do Carrie and Fiona differ in their opinions about a romantic relationship between Dillon and Rachel?
3. How does Dillon begin to act bolder when Rachel is grieving for her mother?
4. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
5. Why is Rachel conflicted in her feelings even though she has found a rich boy who wants to marry her?
6. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
7. Who is Rachel Honaker and what are her feelings for Dillon?
8. What makes Rachel ultimately surrender to her love for Dillon?
9. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
10. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Rachel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rachel?
Essay Topic 2
"The Unquiet Earth" is a classic story of the struggle to rise above circumstances. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Does Giardina end the story on a note of hope for Jackie or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)