Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillon beg Rachel not to do?
2. Why does everyone in her seventh grade class hate Jackie?
3. Why is Rachel's father going to Norfolk?
4. What is the name of the coal camp where Carrie stays with Flora?
5. Who does Rachel marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
2. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
3. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
4. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
5. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
6. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
7. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
8. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
9. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
10. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
Essay Topic 1
Forbidden love is an important theme in "The Unquiet Earth". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author present point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular style of presenting points of view from the main characters? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
Essay Topic 3
"The Unquiet Earth" is a classic story of the struggle to rise above circumstances. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)