|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dillon and Rachel make love for the first time?
2. In what town is Dillon's house located?
3. Why does Rachel refuse to leave Tony?
4. Who is shot in the head and will live brain damaged for the rest of her/his life?
5. Rachel's boyfriend's family is from which Southern city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Rachel marry after Fred abandons her?
2. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
3. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
4. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
5. What is Jackie's role in the miners' strike as a member of the press?
6. Why does Rachel stay in her unhappy marriage with Tony?
7. Why does Dillon feel compelled to lead the strike in spite of the trouble between him and Rachel?
8. How will Jackie's profession allow her to shed light on the poverty and suffering of people in her hometown?
9. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
10. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rachel. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rachel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Giardina choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 1,510 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)