|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hassel tells Jackie that __________________ is coming to support the strike.
(a) Ralph Nader.
(b) Lech Walesa.
(c) George Bush.
(d) Jimmy Carter.
2. Why does Rachel hire a cook and housekeeper?
(a) She wants to impress Dillon.
(b) She is too weak to do the work.
(c) She likes to employ local women.
(d) She thinks it makes her look high class.
3. Why is Dillon coming to Washington, D.C.?
(a) Jackie's graduation.
(b) Jackie's wedding.
(c) A peace protest march.
(d) A black lung demonstration.
4. What does Dillon do every year on the anniversary of the day he and Rachel first made love?
(a) He visits her grave.
(b) He visits the cabin on Trace Mountain.
(c) He stays in bed.
(d) He gets drunk.
5. Jackie spends a year in which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. Jackie's last words to Tom are similar to _____________________.
2. What happens when the dam machinery is overworked?
3. When Dillon gets to the hospital, Jackie tells him that Rachel is dying because ____________________.
4. Whose remains are revealed when the machine malfunctions?
5. Who is Sim's son who is missing in the flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
2. What impact can Dillon see that the strike will have on the way of life he has known?
3. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
4. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
5. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
6. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
7. What miracle has Hassel seen?
8. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
9. How does Dillon show his devotion to Rachel at her funeral?
10. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)