|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who/what is Rachel looking at when she dies?
(a) A floral arrangement.
(d) The sunset.
2. What happens when the dam begins to breach?
(a) Arthur Lee is swept away.
(b) Arthur Lee sounds the alarm.
(c) Arthur Lee can't make it back to his car.
(d) Arthur Lee saves Dillon.
3. Who supervises the moving of the family graves in order to save them before they are dug up?
(b) Arthur Lee.
4. Why is Dillon coming to Washington, D.C.?
(a) A peace protest march.
(b) Jackie's graduation.
(c) Jackie's wedding.
(d) A black lung demonstration.
5. In what subject does Jackie earn a degree?
(b) Art History.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the person in #151 advise Jackie to leave the area?
2. With whom does Brenda fall in love?
3. Who is Lech Walesa?
4. What does Dillon do when the remains are scattered around?
5. What does Tom grab on to to keep from being washed away in the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
2. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
3. What are the possible interpretations of Tom's telling Jackie that they are "not done" yet?
4. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
5. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
6. What is Jackie's role in the miners' strike as a member of the press?
7. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
8. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
9. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
10. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)