|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has all the poverty money sent to him so that he can dole it out?
(c) Arthur Lee.
2. Whose remains are revealed when the machine malfunctions?
(b) Sim's father's.
(d) Dillon's father's.
3. What does Jackie rescue of the scattered remains to give to Dillon?
(a) A hand.
(b) A skull.
(c) A foot.
(d) An arm.
4. What happens to Tom that produces a fatal injury?
(a) He is hit in the head with flying rocks.
(b) He gets trapped in electrical wires.
(c) A large piece of wood lodges in his chest.
(d) His body is bashed against a stone building.
5. What is the type of vine that Hassel has seen growing up a tree?
(c) Poison ivy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillon promise to do if Jackie takes the job in #105?
2. Where is Tom's body taken after he is injured?
3. What does the company in #134 plan to do in Homeplace?
4. For what does Hassel pray when the bishop comes?
5. What happens when the machine moving the graves malfunctions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
2. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
3. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
4. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
5. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
6. What are the possible interpretations of Tom's telling Jackie that they are "not done" yet?
7. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
8. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
9. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
10. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)