|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom grab on to to keep from being washed away in the water?
(a) A utility pole.
(b) A flag pole.
(c) A chimney.
(d) A tree.
2. What does Jackie rescue of the scattered remains to give to Dillon?
(a) An arm.
(b) A foot.
(c) A hand.
(d) A skull.
3. Who becomes emotional when the graves are moved?
4. Why do Hassel and Tom go to the Governor's Office in Charleston?
(a) To petition for a stay of execution.
(b) To invite him to their annual festival.
(c) To offer campaign assistance.
(d) To get a bridge built in Justice.
5. Hassel tells Jackie that __________________ is coming to support the strike.
(a) George Bush.
(b) Lech Walesa.
(c) Jimmy Carter.
(d) Ralph Nader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dillon coming to Washington, D.C.?
2. Jackie talks to Dillon about her feelings regarding _________________.
3. Who dies in Jackie's arms?
4. Jackie's last words to Tom are similar to _____________________.
5. Against which company do the coal miners wage a strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
2. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
3. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
4. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
5. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
6. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
7. What miracle has Hassel seen?
8. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
9. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
10. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)