|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of his body does Dillon injure when he falls down a hill?
(a) His leg.
(b) His back.
(c) His shoulder.
(d) His arm.
2. Who unexpectedly returns to town?
3. When Dillon gets to the hospital, Jackie tells him that Rachel is dying because ____________________.
(a) her lungs are filling with water.
(b) she has had a brain aneurysm.
(c) she has end-stage cancer.
(d) she has had a bad heart attack.
4. Why is Tom disheartened by saying Mass every Sunday?
(a) He has a hard time getting converts.
(b) No one contributes to the collection.
(c) No one helps him build a church.
(d) No one ever attends.
5. What happens to Tom that produces a fatal injury?
(a) He is hit in the head with flying rocks.
(b) A large piece of wood lodges in his chest.
(c) His body is bashed against a stone building.
(d) He gets trapped in electrical wires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom grab on to to keep from being washed away in the water?
2. What does Jackie rescue of the scattered remains to give to Dillon?
3. Who supervises the moving of the family graves in order to save them before they are dug up?
4. When Tom leaves, he tells Jackie that ______________________.
5. Jackie is upset because _____________ has left the area.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
2. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
3. How will Jackie's profession allow her to shed light on the poverty and suffering of people in her hometown?
4. What miracle has Hassel seen?
5. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
6. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
7. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
8. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
9. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
10. What is Jackie's role in the miners' strike as a member of the press?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)