|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dillon promise to do if Jackie takes the job in #105?
(a) Quit smoking.
(b) Get married.
(c) Quit the labor strikes.
(d) Move to California.
2. Dillon vows to see Rachel ___________________.
(a) when she wakes up.
(b) in her dreams.
(c) in heaven.
(d) every day.
3. Jackie quits her job to start work at ___________________.
(a) the Cervantes Center.
(b) the Peace Corps.
(d) the Pentagon.
4. What does the company in #134 plan to do in Homeplace?
(a) Close the mines.
(b) Strip mine the area.
(c) Reduce wages.
(d) Sell the mines.
5. Who is Lech Walesa?
(a) Polish astronaut.
(b) Polish union leader.
(c) Polish Olympic skater.
(d) Polish band leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the machine moving the graves malfunctions?
2. When Dillon gets to the hospital, Jackie tells him that Rachel is dying because ____________________.
3. Why does the person in #151 advise Jackie to leave the area?
4. Who does Dillon see on a TV program broadcast from the Kennedy Center?
5. From what addiction does Tom suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
2. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
3. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
4. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
5. How does Hassel help Tom out when he learns that the bishop is coming for a visit?
6. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
7. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
8. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
9. What are the possible interpretations of Tom's telling Jackie that they are "not done" yet?
10. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)