|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who unexpectedly returns to town?
2. Where is Tom's body taken after he is injured?
(a) Charleston Hospital.
(b) The Red Cross station.
(c) Holiness Church.
(d) The mining office.
3. A guard at a picket line tells Jackie to get away even though _____________________.
(a) she is not causing any trouble.
(b) she is scheduled to speak.
(c) she is a member of the press.
(d) she is in no danger.
4. What topic does Dillon talk to Jackie about so that she will write an editorial?
(a) The availability of college scholarships.
(b) The dangerous situation with the dam.
(c) The abuse of drugs by young people.
(d) The lack of doctors coming to the area.
5. Who becomes emotional when the graves are moved?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Hassel and Tom go to the Governor's Office in Charleston?
2. Jackie's last words to Tom are similar to _____________________.
3. Which of the following is NOT something that Tom tells Jackie he has been lying about?
4. What does Dillon still resist telling Jackie?
5. Why is Tom worried about the bishop's upcoming visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
2. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
3. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
4. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
5. How does Hassel help Tom out when he learns that the bishop is coming for a visit?
6. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
7. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
8. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
9. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
10. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)