|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tom worried about the bishop's upcoming visit?
(a) He wants to talk to him about leaving the priesthood.
(b) The house he lives in is shabby.
(c) There haven't been any converts to the faith.
(d) There is only one person who attends mass.
2. What does the company in #134 plan to do in Homeplace?
(a) Strip mine the area.
(b) Sell the mines.
(c) Close the mines.
(d) Reduce wages.
3. Where does Tom move to eventually?
(d) Costa Rica.
4. What does Hassel pick up while at the Governor's Office?
(a) A book on West Virginia history.
(b) A decal for his windshield.
(c) An autographed photo.
(d) New license plates.
5. What does Jackie rescue of the scattered remains to give to Dillon?
(a) An arm.
(b) A foot.
(c) A hand.
(d) A skull.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the dam begins to breach?
2. What part of his body does Dillon injure when he falls down a hill?
3. Dillon vows to see Rachel ___________________.
4. At the picket line, someone puts up a sign that says ____________________.
5. Who supervises the moving of the family graves in order to save them before they are dug up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
2. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
3. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
4. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
5. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
6. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
7. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
8. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
9. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
10. What impact can Dillon see that the strike will have on the way of life he has known?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)