|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has threatened to bring criminal charges against Tom if he doesn't shut down his VISTA activities?
(d) Arthur Lee.
2. Why do Hassel and Tom go to the Governor's Office in Charleston?
(a) To petition for a stay of execution.
(b) To get a bridge built in Justice.
(c) To offer campaign assistance.
(d) To invite him to their annual festival.
3. At the picket line, someone puts up a sign that says ____________________.
(a) End of the Road.
(b) Dead End.
(c) The South Will Rise Again.
(d) Poland, West Virginia.
4. What does the company in #134 plan to do in Homeplace?
(a) Reduce wages.
(b) Strip mine the area.
(c) Sell the mines.
(d) Close the mines.
5. Which company has bought out The American Coal Company?
(a) The Standard Oil Company.
(c) The International Oil Corp.
(d) International Business Machines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the organization run by the man in #101?
2. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do after the dam bursts?
3. Who becomes emotional when the graves are moved?
4. With whom does Brenda fall in love?
5. What topic does Dillon talk to Jackie about so that she will write an editorial?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
2. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
3. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
4. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
5. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
6. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
7. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
8. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
9. How does Dillon show his devotion to Rachel at her funeral?
10. What does Jackie study in college and what job does she take in Washington?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)