|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Hassel pray when the bishop comes?
(a) That he can get a raise.
(b) That his son will find a good wife.
(c) That his wife will get well.
(d) That the Lord keep Tom safe.
2. Jackie talks to Dillon about her feelings regarding _________________.
(a) her mother.
(b) her job.
(d) her father.
3. What does Dillon finally admit to Jackie?
(a) That she was adopted.
(b) That Tom wants to marry her.
(c) That he is her father.
(d) That he secretly married her mother.
4. Jackie's last words to Tom are similar to _____________________.
(a) a poem.
(b) Rachel's last words to Dillon.
(c) Dillon's last words to Rachel.
(d) a line from a movie.
5. What is carried in the doctor's container?
(b) Seed corn.
(c) A pair of black lungs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to arrive and the last to leave Rachel's funeral?
2. Who/what is Rachel looking at when she dies?
3. What does Jackie tell Tom even though he is dead when she reaches him?
4. Why does Rachel hire a cook and housekeeper?
5. What happens when the dam machinery is overworked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
2. What miracle has Hassel seen?
3. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
4. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
5. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
6. How will Jackie's profession allow her to shed light on the poverty and suffering of people in her hometown?
7. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
8. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
9. How has Rachel's illness impacted her life?
10. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)