|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom grab on to to keep from being washed away in the water?
(a) A utility pole.
(b) A flag pole.
(c) A tree.
(d) A chimney.
2. Who does Dillon see on a TV program broadcast from the Kennedy Center?
(a) James Taylor.
(b) Lech Walesa.
(c) George Bush.
(d) Frank Sinatra.
3. Why does Tom leave Honduras?
(a) He was transferred by the diocese.
(b) He was kicked out for a political reason.
(c) He gets malaria and needs a good hospital.
(d) He realizes that he needs to be near Jackie.
4. Why is Dillon coming to Washington, D.C.?
(a) A peace protest march.
(b) Jackie's graduation.
(c) Jackie's wedding.
(d) A black lung demonstration.
5. Tom and Jackie make love before he goes to _________________.
(a) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the dam machinery is overworked?
2. What happens when the machine moving the graves malfunctions?
3. Which company has bought out The American Coal Company?
4. Jackie is upset because _____________ has left the area.
5. Who has all the poverty money sent to him so that he can dole it out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Jackie and Tom's feelings for each other paralleled those shared by Dillon and Rachel?
2. How does Dillon exhibit his loyalty both in his personal and professional life?
3. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
4. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
5. What impact can Dillon see that the strike will have on the way of life he has known?
6. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
7. What is Jackie's role in the miners' strike as a member of the press?
8. Where does Jackie encounter Tom again and what are the circumstances that have them spending more time together?
9. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
10. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)