|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the person in #151 advise Jackie to leave the area?
(a) Because it is dying.
(b) Because she loves the big city.
(c) Because he wants her to travel with him.
(d) Because she needs a bigger career.
2. Who is Sim's son who is missing in the flood?
3. What does the company in #134 do regarding Homeplace?
(a) They sell Homeplace.
(b) They obtain rights to Homeplace.
(c) They film a TV documentary there.
(d) They withdraw funding for Homeplace.
4. What does Dillon do when the remains are scattered around?
(a) He throws himself on the ground and sobs.
(b) He chokes Arthur Lee.
(c) He faints.
(d) He vomits.
5. Who is the first to arrive and the last to leave Rachel's funeral?
(a) Arthur Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lech Walesa?
2. Where does Tom move to eventually?
3. What does Jackie tell Tom even though he is dead when she reaches him?
4. What question does Jackie ask Dillon that makes him clam up?
5. Whose remains are revealed when the machine malfunctions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the family graves need to be moved after the American Coal Company obtains rights to Homeplace?
2. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
3. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
4. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
5. How will Jackie's profession allow her to shed light on the poverty and suffering of people in her hometown?
6. Why is Dillon still so conflicted in his relationship with Jackie?
7. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
8. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
9. What impact can Dillon see that the strike will have on the way of life he has known?
10. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)