|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people agree to attend mass when the bishop comes?
2. Who is the first to arrive and the last to leave Rachel's funeral?
(b) Arthur Lee.
3. What is the name of the organization run by the man in #101?
(a) Shiloh Center.
(b) Yahweh Center.
(c) Agape Center.
(d) Cervantes Center.
4. What does Dillon do every year on the anniversary of the day he and Rachel first made love?
(a) He visits her grave.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He stays in bed.
(d) He visits the cabin on Trace Mountain.
5. What does Hassel pick up while at the Governor's Office?
(a) An autographed photo.
(b) New license plates.
(c) A book on West Virginia history.
(d) A decal for his windshield.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom finally confess to Jackie?
2. What does Dillon do when the remains are scattered around?
3. With whom does Brenda fall in love?
4. What question does Jackie ask Dillon that makes him clam up?
5. What does Dillon finally admit to Jackie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
2. What are the possible interpretations of Tom's telling Jackie that they are "not done" yet?
3. How will Jackie's profession allow her to shed light on the poverty and suffering of people in her hometown?
4. What miracle has Hassel seen?
5. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
6. Describe the poignancy of Dillon being present for Rachel's death in the hospital.
7. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
8. How has Tom's childhood plagued him and how is he conflicted about his life choices?
9. What comfort can Jackie take away from Tom's death?
10. What is Jackie's role in the miners' strike as a member of the press?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)