|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Rachel and Tommie teased in their jobs?
(a) Because of their height.
(b) Because of their accents.
(c) Because of their personalities.
(d) Because of their hairstyles.
2. What does Dillon beg Rachel not to do?
(a) Go away to school.
(b) Drive too fast.
(c) Break up with him.
(d) Go to the dance with someone else.
3. What is the name of Rachel's mule?
4. What does Rachel want to become?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A singer.
(c) An actress.
(d) A nurse.
5. Where does Tony go when he leaves the house?
(a) His mother's house.
(b) His buddy's house.
(c) His office.
(d) A motel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Dillon play with Jackie?
2. Who is Rachel's roommate at nursing school?
3. What is Jackie's favorite book?
4. What event does Rachel's mother always listen to on the radio?
5. Why does Tony not come to help Rachel when her transportation breaks down in the mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Rachel Honaker and what are her feelings for Dillon?
2. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
3. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
4. How does Dillon begin to act bolder when Rachel is grieving for her mother?
5. What does Jackie know about what Arthur Lee does to harm the people in the Number Thirteen community?
6. Why does Dillon feel compelled to lead the strike in spite of the trouble between him and Rachel?
7. How does Dillon mirror his father's life regarding standing up for the coal miners?
8. What possibilities does Arthur Lee consider doing when Rachel tells him that she loves Dillon?
9. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
10. What are Dillon's feelings for Rachel and why does she try to keep him at a distance?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)