|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men trapped in the coal mine use to bang on the rocks to alert their rescuers?
(a) A shovel.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A miner's hat.
(d) A tin pan.
2. Why does Rachel's relationship with Fred end?
(a) He never contacts her.
(b) He is killed in the war.
(c) He decides he is not ready to get married.
(d) She is in love with someone else.
3. Why would Rachel's mother approve of Fred?
(a) He is ambitious.
(b) He is Catholic.
(c) He is rich.
(d) He is handsome.
4. What part of her body is broken when Rachel falls into the river?
(a) Her finger.
(b) Her ankle.
(c) Her leg.
(d) Her arm.
5. What form of transportation does Rachel use to travel around and care for the sick?
(a) A bike.
(b) A motorcycle.
(c) A jeep.
(d) A car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillon take Jackie up to Trace Mountain to see?
2. Why does Rachel scream at Tony when he comes home with Jackie?
3. Who does Rachel begin to date after her relationship with Fred ends?
4. What is Jackie's favorite book?
5. What is Rachel's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Rachel marry after Fred abandons her?
2. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
3. What does Jackie know about what Arthur Lee does to harm the people in the Number Thirteen community?
4. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
5. Who is Dillon Freeman and why does he idolize his dead father?
6. Who is Fred and how does he disappoint Rachel?
7. What possibilities does Arthur Lee consider doing when Rachel tells him that she loves Dillon?
8. After the war, why does Rachel fight her attraction to Dillon even though he is even more good-looking now?
9. In contrast to how Tony treats Jackie, how does Dillon treat her when she stays with him?
10. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)