|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dillon beg Rachel not to do?
(a) Drive too fast.
(b) Go away to school.
(c) Break up with him.
(d) Go to the dance with someone else.
2. Why does everyone in her seventh grade class hate Jackie?
(a) She lives in a nice house.
(b) She gets good grades.
(c) She acts stuck up.
(d) Her father is in prison.
3. Why is Rachel's father going to Norfolk?
(a) To visit relatives.
(b) To go back to school.
(c) To attend a funeral.
(d) To work in a shipyard.
4. What is the name of the coal camp where Carrie stays with Flora?
5. Who does Rachel marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Rachel's mule?
2. What is the river that runs through the region where the story takes place?
3. Who is Dillon's mother?
4. What does Rachel name her baby?
5. One day Tony tells Jackie that _______________ is sick and in the hospital.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom advise Jackie to do when he unexpectedly show up in town?
2. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
3. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
4. How does Tom's behavior show that he is still conflicted about being a priest in spite of the bishop's absolution?
5. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
6. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
7. What open job does Dillon tell Jackie about and what does he promise to do if she takes it?
8. What happens when the machine involved in moving the graves malfunctions?
9. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
10. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)