|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the river that runs through the region where the story takes place?
(a) Kentucky River.
(b) Ohio River.
(c) Mississippi River.
(d) Blackberry River.
2. How does Tommie die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) In battle.
(d) In a plane crash.
3. Where do Rachel and Tommie work as army nurses?
(b) The Phillippines.
(c) Washington D.C.
4. What is the vocation of the young man in #77?
5. What is Jackie's favorite book?
(a) Charlotte's Web.
(b) Lord of the Rings.
(c) Harry Potter.
(d) Little Women.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Dillon related to Rachel?
2. Who does Rachel refuse to marry?
3. What does Dillon want Rachel to do after they have declared their love for each other?
4. What game does Dillon play with Jackie?
5. What event does Rachel's mother always listen to on the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jackie know about what Arthur Lee does to harm the people in the Number Thirteen community?
2. Who is Fred and how does he disappoint Rachel?
3. Who is Dillon Freeman and why does he idolize his dead father?
4. What secret does Rachel keep from Dillon that plays a large part in her decision to live with Arthur Lee?
5. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
6. How do Carrie and Fiona differ in their opinions about a romantic relationship between Dillon and Rachel?
7. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
8. How does Dillon mirror his father's life regarding standing up for the coal miners?
9. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
10. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)