|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One day Tony tells Jackie that _______________ is sick and in the hospital.
(c) Mamaw Honaker.
(d) Mamaw Hudson.
2. What does Dillon do with the skull given to her by Fred?
(a) He buries it.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He throws it in the river.
(d) He stores it in a box.
3. How old is Toejam Day?
4. Why does Jackie swear she will hate Tony forever?
(a) He hits her mother.
(b) He kills her pet spiders.
(c) He won't buy her the doll she wants.
(d) He shot her dog.
5. Where do Rachel and Tommie work as army nurses?
(b) The Phillippines.
(c) Washington D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rachel's father going to Norfolk?
2. What is VISTA?
3. On which young man does Jackie have a crush?
4. What is the river that runs through the region where the story takes place?
5. Where does Dillon go to join the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the war, why does Rachel fight her attraction to Dillon even though he is even more good-looking now?
2. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
3. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
4. Who does Rachel marry after Fred abandons her?
5. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
6. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
7. What reasons do Dillon and Fiona have for not wanting Rachel to go away to nursing school?
8. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
9. How do Carrie and Fiona differ in their opinions about a romantic relationship between Dillon and Rachel?
10. How does Dillon mirror his father's life regarding standing up for the coal miners?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)