|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jackie thinks the young man in #77 looks like ____________________.
(a) Paul McCartney.
(b) Peter Noone.
(c) Mick Jagger.
(d) John Lennon.
2. What is Jackie's favorite book?
(a) Lord of the Rings.
(b) Charlotte's Web.
(c) Little Women.
(d) Harry Potter.
3. A man from which government agency shows up at Dillon's house to tell him that there is an injunction against the strike?
(a) The A.T.F.
(b) The F.B.I.
(c) The Secret Service.
(d) The C.I.A.
4. In what city is Dillon serving time in a federal penitentiary?
(c) New York.
5. Why does everyone in her seventh grade class hate Jackie?
(a) Her father is in prison.
(b) She gets good grades.
(c) She acts stuck up.
(d) She lives in a nice house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is VISTA?
2. Where does Dillon get a job after his stint in the army?
3. Which U.S. President is killed while Dillon is in prison?
4. Which U.S. President does Rachel see on TV talking about poverty?
5. What part of her body is broken when Rachel falls into the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
2. In contrast to how Tony treats Jackie, how does Dillon treat her when she stays with him?
3. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
4. What reasons do Dillon and Fiona have for not wanting Rachel to go away to nursing school?
5. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
6. Who is Dillon Freeman and why does he idolize his dead father?
7. What are Dillon's feelings for Rachel and why does she try to keep him at a distance?
8. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
9. What significance do black lungs have for the story?
10. How does Dillon begin to act bolder when Rachel is grieving for her mother?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)