|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the coal camp where Carrie stays with Flora?
2. Who does Rachel think is the father of her baby?
(b) She is not sure.
3. Who had lived in Rachel and Jackie's house before them?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A union organizer.
4. How is Dillon related to Rachel?
(a) They are second cousins.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are not related.
(d) They are siblings.
5. Who is Arthur Lee Sizemore?
(a) The local newspaper editor.
(b) The Baptist minister.
(c) The IGA manager.
(d) The manager of the local mines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the river that runs through the region where the story takes place?
2. Why does Jackie swear she will hate Tony forever?
3. Rachel's boyfriend's family is from which Southern city?
4. What does Dillon take Jackie up to Trace Mountain to see?
5. Where does Dillon get a job after his stint in the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
2. How do Carrie and Fiona differ in their opinions about a romantic relationship between Dillon and Rachel?
3. Why is Rachel conflicted in her feelings even though she has found a rich boy who wants to marry her?
4. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
5. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
6. What is Appalachia and what does Rachel surprisingly udiscover about it?
7. What are Dillon's feelings for Rachel and why does she try to keep him at a distance?
8. Who is Fred and how does he disappoint Rachel?
9. Who is Rachel Honaker and what are her feelings for Dillon?
10. Who does Rachel marry after Fred abandons her?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)