|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dillon go to join the army?
2. What is the vocation of the young man in #77?
3. What is deducted from the coalminers' pay each week?
(a) The cost of food.
(b) The cost of miner equipment.
(c) The cost of housing.
(d) The cost of insurance.
4. Why is Rachel's father going to Norfolk?
(a) To work in a shipyard.
(b) To visit relatives.
(c) To attend a funeral.
(d) To go back to school.
5. A man from which government agency shows up at Dillon's house to tell him that there is an injunction against the strike?
(a) The Secret Service.
(b) The A.T.F.
(c) The C.I.A.
(d) The F.B.I.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business does Dillon plan to open with Sim Gore?
2. With what disease is Rachel diagnosed?
3. What form of transportation does Rachel use to travel around and care for the sick?
4. Rachel and Jackie's new house is near which mine?
5. Rachel tells Dillon that they can't become romantically involved because _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the father of Rachel's baby and why does she refrain from making her love for Dillon public?
2. In contrast to how Tony treats Jackie, how does Dillon treat her when she stays with him?
3. What reasons do Dillon and Fiona have for not wanting Rachel to go away to nursing school?
4. What is Fiona's interest in the Kentucky Derby?
5. How do Carrie and Fiona differ in their opinions about a romantic relationship between Dillon and Rachel?
6. Who is Fred and how does he disappoint Rachel?
7. Who is Tony Angelelli?
8. Why does Dillon feel compelled to lead the strike in spite of the trouble between him and Rachel?
9. How does Dillon begin to act bolder when Rachel is grieving for her mother?
10. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)