|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rachel think is the father of her baby?
(b) She is not sure.
2. What is the vocation of the young man in #77?
3. When Rachel's marriage begins to fall apart, why does she not leave?
(a) She wants to give it more time.
(b) She wants a child.
(c) It is against her religion.
(d) She thinks he will change.
4. Rachel's boyfriend's family is from which Southern city?
(d) New Orleans.
5. In what state does the story take place?
(a) North Carolina.
(d) West Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillon do with the skull given to her by Fred?
2. What is the name of the region where Rachel lives?
3. Which U.S. President does Rachel see on TV talking about poverty?
4. What is the name of the coal camp where Carrie stays with Flora?
5. With what disease is Rachel diagnosed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jackie say that she can never return to her hometown
2. Who is Tony Angelelli?
3. Who is Dillon Freeman and why does he idolize his dead father?
4. Who is Rachel Honaker and what are her feelings for Dillon?
5. What makes Rachel ultimately surrender to her love for Dillon?
6. Why is Dillon driven to tell Jackie that he is her father?
7. How does Lech Walesa's broken promise to come to support the coal miners' strike symbolize a lack of support for the region?
8. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
9. How does Dillon's prison sentence negatively impact his relationship with Rachel?
10. Where does Jackie find Tom the morning after the dam burst and what does she tell him even though he is already dead?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)