|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is deducted from the coalminers' pay each week?
(a) The cost of miner equipment.
(b) The cost of housing.
(c) The cost of insurance.
(d) The cost of food.
2. Where does Dillon get a job after his stint in the army?
(a) The mines.
(b) A newspaper office.
(c) A high school.
(d) An airplane plant.
3. Who is the first boy who Rachel kisses?
(a) Tony Angelelli.
(b) Sean Patterson.
(c) Jimmy Morton.
(d) Dillon Freeman.
4. What is the river that runs through the region where the story takes place?
(a) Kentucky River.
(b) Mississippi River.
(c) Ohio River.
(d) Blackberry River.
5. Why does Rachel scream at Tony when he comes home with Jackie?
(a) She can tell Jackie has had some beer.
(b) He spent all his paycheck before he got home.
(c) He had left all the windows open and it rained in the house.
(d) She has been trying to call him all night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is VISTA?
2. On which young man does Jackie have a crush?
3. What does Dillon NOT do when he sees Rachel after the war?
4. Why does Rachel refuse to leave Tony?
5. What does Rachel want to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Fred and how does he disappoint Rachel?
2. After the war, why does Rachel fight her attraction to Dillon even though he is even more good-looking now?
3. Why does Rachel stay in her unhappy marriage with Tony?
4. What secret does Rachel keep from Dillon that plays a large part in her decision to live with Arthur Lee?
5. Why does Dillon feel compelled to lead the strike in spite of the trouble between him and Rachel?
6. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
7. Who is Dillon Freeman and why does he idolize his dead father?
8. How does Dillon begin to act bolder when Rachel is grieving for her mother?
9. How do Dillon's disappointments by people he idolizes impact his behavior?
10. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)