|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Dillon get out of jail?
2. What does Rachel's boyfriend give her as a souvenir of the war?
(a) The skull of a Japanese soldier.
(b) His medals.
(c) His helmet.
(d) A hand grenade prototype.
3. To what church do Rachel and Jackie belong?
4. Rachel's boyfriend's family is from which Southern city?
(b) New Orleans.
5. What do the men trapped in the coal mine use to bang on the rocks to alert their rescuers?
(a) A tin pan.
(b) A miner's hat.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A shovel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Rachel's mother approve of Fred?
2. What does Rachel want to become?
3. What is the color of the coat that Rachel wears that bleeds out onto her white dress when it rained?
4. In what state does the story take place?
5. Rachel and Jackie's new house is near which mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
2. What does little Jackie recall about Dillon's visits to see her mother?
3. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
4. What secret does Rachel keep from Dillon that plays a large part in her decision to live with Arthur Lee?
5. Why does Jackie say that she can never return to her hometown
6. What threat does the dam pose and how do Dillon and Arthur Lee differ in how to manage the problem?
7. After the war, why does Rachel fight her attraction to Dillon even though he is even more good-looking now?
8. Who does Rachel marry after Fred abandons her?
9. What are Dillon's emotional reasons for telling Jackie that he is her father?
10. What do Dillon and Arthur Lee do to try to warn the town about the dam which has burst?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)