|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rachel think is the father of her baby?
(b) She is not sure.
2. What is the name of the coal camp where Carrie stays with Flora?
3. What does Dillon do with the skull given to her by Fred?
(a) He throws it in the river.
(b) He stores it in a box.
(c) He burns it.
(d) He buries it.
4. About what topic does Dillon obsess?
5. Why does Jackie swear she will hate Tony forever?
(a) He won't buy her the doll she wants.
(b) He shot her dog.
(c) He kills her pet spiders.
(d) He hits her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads a strike of hundreds of miners in a labor dispute?
2. What is Rachel's last name?
3. Where is Dillon stationed after he joins the army?
4. Who is the first boy who Rachel kisses?
5. What animal does Dillon hit while driving home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jackie like her mother in that she falls in love with a man she cannot have?
2. What possibilities does Arthur Lee consider doing when Rachel tells him that she loves Dillon?
3. Why does Dillon feel compelled to lead the strike in spite of the trouble between him and Rachel?
4. How does Tony treat Jackie when Rachel takes her very ill mother to the hospital?
5. What secret does Rachel keep from Dillon that plays a large part in her decision to live with Arthur Lee?
6. How does Dillon begin to act bolder when Rachel is grieving for her mother?
7. What are Dillon's feelings for Rachel and why does she try to keep him at a distance?
8. What reasons do Dillon and Fiona have for not wanting Rachel to go away to nursing school?
9. How does Dillon mirror his father's life regarding standing up for the coal miners?
10. Why does Rachel's mother not want Rachel to marry Dillon?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)