|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the machine moving the graves malfunctions?
(a) The machine tumbles down a hill.
(b) Remains are scattered all over the ground.
(c) The machine cannot be repaired for quite awhile.
(d) The machine falls over.
2. Who is the minister when Brenda gets married?
(a) Doyle Ray.
3. What does Dillon do when the remains are scattered around?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He throws himself on the ground and sobs.
(c) He faints.
(d) He chokes Arthur Lee.
4. When Dillon gets to the hospital, Jackie tells him that Rachel is dying because ____________________.
(a) she has end-stage cancer.
(b) her lungs are filling with water.
(c) she has had a brain aneurysm.
(d) she has had a bad heart attack.
5. Jackie's last words to Tom are similar to _____________________.
(a) Dillon's last words to Rachel.
(b) a line from a movie.
(c) Rachel's last words to Dillon.
(d) a poem.
6. How many people agree to attend mass when the bishop comes?
7. What does Dillon promise to do if Jackie takes the job in #105?
(a) Get married.
(b) Quit the labor strikes.
(c) Quit smoking.
(d) Move to California.
8. Why is Tom disheartened by saying Mass every Sunday?
(a) No one contributes to the collection.
(b) He has a hard time getting converts.
(c) No one helps him build a church.
(d) No one ever attends.
9. What is the name of the newspaper where Jackie takes a job?
(a) Justice Clarion.
(b) Justice Dispatch.
(c) Justice Gazette.
(d) Justice Advocate.
10. Against which company do the coal miners wage a strike?
(a) Wheeling Mine Company.
(b) All American Coal Corp.
(c) The International Oil Corp.
(d) West Virginia Mining Corp.
11. What does Dillon do every year on the anniversary of the day he and Rachel first made love?
(a) He stays in bed.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He visits the cabin on Trace Mountain.
(d) He visits her grave.
12. What does Dillon still resist telling Jackie?
(a) That he may be her father.
(b) That he and her mother were secretly married.
(c) That he secretly paid for her college education.
(d) That he is going to be moving away.
13. Who does Jackie run into while in Washington, D.C.?
(a) Arthur Lee.
14. Why do Hassel and Tom go to the Governor's Office in Charleston?
(a) To offer campaign assistance.
(b) To invite him to their annual festival.
(c) To petition for a stay of execution.
(d) To get a bridge built in Justice.
15. Jackie is upset because _____________ has left the area.
(c) Arthur Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackie write editorials about during this period?
2. Dillon tells Jackie about a job opening for a/an __________________ back home.
3. Hassel tells Jackie that __________________ is coming to support the strike.
4. Where does Tom ask Jackie to meet him sometime?
5. A doctor from which town comes looking for Dillon?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)