|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rachel hire a cook and housekeeper?
(a) She is too weak to do the work.
(b) She likes to employ local women.
(c) She wants to impress Dillon.
(d) She thinks it makes her look high class.
2. Against which company do the coal miners wage a strike?
(a) Wheeling Mine Company.
(b) West Virginia Mining Corp.
(c) All American Coal Corp.
(d) The International Oil Corp.
3. Hassel tells Jackie that __________________ is coming to support the strike.
(a) Jimmy Carter.
(b) Ralph Nader.
(c) George Bush.
(d) Lech Walesa.
4. What part of his body does Dillon injure when he falls down a hill?
(a) His arm.
(b) His shoulder.
(c) His leg.
(d) His back.
5. Tom and Jackie make love before he goes to _________________.
(b) Washington, D.C.
6. What does Dillon do when the remains are scattered around?
(a) He faints.
(b) He vomits.
(c) He throws himself on the ground and sobs.
(d) He chokes Arthur Lee.
7. When Dillon gets to the hospital, Jackie tells him that Rachel is dying because ____________________.
(a) she has had a brain aneurysm.
(b) her lungs are filling with water.
(c) she has end-stage cancer.
(d) she has had a bad heart attack.
8. What happens when the dam machinery is overworked?
(a) It explodes.
(b) It stops working.
(c) The dam overruns.
(d) It sounds an alarm.
9. Where is Rachel buried after her death?
10. Who/what is Rachel looking at when she dies?
(a) A floral arrangement.
(b) The sunset.
11. For what does Hassel pray when the bishop comes?
(a) That his wife will get well.
(b) That his son will find a good wife.
(c) That he can get a raise.
(d) That the Lord keep Tom safe.
12. Who becomes emotional when the graves are moved?
13. The way that the vine grows up the tree is in the shape of ____________________.
(a) a heart.
(b) Mickey Mouse.
(c) the face of Jesus.
(d) the United States.
14. Why does the person in #151 advise Jackie to leave the area?
(a) Because she loves the big city.
(b) Because it is dying.
(c) Because she needs a bigger career.
(d) Because he wants her to travel with him.
15. Who inspects the dam with Dillon?
(b) Arthur Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jackie is upset because _____________ has left the area.
2. What does Tom grab on to to keep from being washed away in the water?
3. Who dies in Jackie's arms?
4. What does Dillon finally admit to Jackie?
5. How many people agree to attend mass when the bishop comes?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)