|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rachel marry?
2. People on Trace Mountain make their livings tending apple orchards and __________________.
3. Who is Dillon's mother?
4. Where had Fred told Rachel he was going to go to marry her?
(b) New York.
(c) West Virginia.
5. What does Dillon take Jackie up to Trace Mountain to see?
(a) A cave.
(b) The spectacular view.
(c) A moonshine still.
(d) His uncle's cabin.
6. Why would Rachel's mother approve of Fred?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) He is ambitious.
(c) He is rich.
(d) He is Catholic.
7. In what state does the story take place?
(b) North Carolina.
(d) West Virginia.
8. What does Dillon NOT do when he sees Rachel after the war?
(a) Swings her around.
(b) Ignores her.
(c) Kisses her.
(d) Proclaims his love for her.
9. Why does Tony not come to help Rachel when her transportation breaks down in the mountains?
(a) He has to work late.
(b) He is going out to the Moose Club.
(c) His car has also broken down.
(d) He is not feeling well.
10. In what town is Dillon's house located?
11. Who had lived in Rachel and Jackie's house before them?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A union organizer.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A doctor.
12. What was Dillon's father's job before he died?
(a) A mechanic.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A construction worker.
(d) A labor organizer.
13. Which U.S. President is killed while Dillon is in prison?
(a) President Roosevelt.
(b) President Garfield.
(c) President Johnson.
(d) President Kennedy.
14. Whose house is blown up during the strike?
15. Who does Rachel think is the father of her baby?
(d) She is not sure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel's boyfriend give her as a souvenir of the war?
2. What is Rachel's last name?
3. What is the name of the coal camp where Carrie stays with Flora?
4. Who leads a strike of hundreds of miners in a labor dispute?
5. In what city is Dillon serving time in a federal penitentiary?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)