|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dillon go to join the army?
2. What is the river that runs through the region where the story takes place?
(a) Kentucky River.
(b) Blackberry River.
(c) Ohio River.
(d) Mississippi River.
3. What is VISTA?
(a) A dance club.
(b) A federal agency to fight poverty.
(c) A software program.
(d) A travel agency.
4. What does Dillon make for Jackie for supper?
(a) Burgers and fries.
(b) Hot dogs and pork and beans.
(c) Macaroni and cheese.
5. Why does Rachel's relationship with Fred end?
(a) He is killed in the war.
(b) He never contacts her.
(c) He decides he is not ready to get married.
(d) She is in love with someone else.
6. Rachel admits to Tommie that she really cares for whom?
7. What is Dillon's last name?
8. To what church do Rachel and Jackie belong?
9. Whose house is blown up during the strike?
10. Why does everyone in her seventh grade class hate Jackie?
(a) She lives in a nice house.
(b) She gets good grades.
(c) She acts stuck up.
(d) Her father is in prison.
11. Why would Rachel's mother approve of Fred?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) He is rich.
(c) He is ambitious.
(d) He is Catholic.
12. Who is the first boy who Rachel kisses?
(a) Dillon Freeman.
(b) Tony Angelelli.
(c) Sean Patterson.
(d) Jimmy Morton.
13. Who is Rachel's roommate at nursing school?
14. Why does Rachel refuse to leave Tony?
(a) She is afraid of what people would think.
(b) She knows it is against her religion.
(c) She hopes their marriage can work.
(d) She knows he won't pay her support.
15. One day Tony tells Jackie that _______________ is sick and in the hospital.
(b) Mamaw Hudson.
(d) Mamaw Honaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tony go when he leaves the house?
2. Which U.S. President does Rachel see on TV talking about poverty?
3. Rachel's boyfriend's family is from which Southern city?
4. Who does Rachel refuse to marry?
5. Where is Dillon stationed after he joins the army?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)