|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rachel think is the father of her baby?
(b) She is not sure.
2. Where is Dillon stationed after he joins the army?
3. Why is Rachel's father going to Norfolk?
(a) To work in a shipyard.
(b) To visit relatives.
(c) To attend a funeral.
(d) To go back to school.
4. What does Dillon take Jackie up to Trace Mountain to see?
(a) His uncle's cabin.
(b) A cave.
(c) A moonshine still.
(d) The spectacular view.
5. What form of transportation does Rachel use to travel around and care for the sick?
(a) A bike.
(b) A jeep.
(c) A motorcycle.
(d) A car.
6. Rachel admits to Tommie that she really cares for whom?
7. In what city is Dillon serving time in a federal penitentiary?
(c) New York.
8. Why does Rachel scream at Tony when he comes home with Jackie?
(a) He had left all the windows open and it rained in the house.
(b) She can tell Jackie has had some beer.
(c) She has been trying to call him all night.
(d) He spent all his paycheck before he got home.
9. Why does Rachel's relationship with Fred end?
(a) He is killed in the war.
(b) He never contacts her.
(c) She is in love with someone else.
(d) He decides he is not ready to get married.
10. What is the river that runs through the region where the story takes place?
(a) Kentucky River.
(b) Mississippi River.
(c) Blackberry River.
(d) Ohio River.
11. What part of her body is broken when Rachel falls into the river?
(a) Her leg.
(b) Her ankle.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Her finger.
12. Rachel tells Dillon that they can't become romantically involved because _____________________.
(a) they come from different classes.
(b) they are first cousins.
(c) her parents forbid it.
(d) she is not interested in him.
13. Rachel's boyfriend's family is from which Southern city?
(b) New Orleans.
14. What was Dillon's father's job before he died?
(a) A construction worker.
(b) A mechanic.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A labor organizer.
15. About what topic does Dillon obsess?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Rachel's mother approve of Fred?
2. Who is Dillon's mother?
3. Which U.S. President does Rachel see on TV talking about poverty?
4. In what state does the story take place?
5. Who does Rachel marry?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)