|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the squadron leader who meets Vicary at the RAF base outside Grimsby?
2. How close is Hoffman when he spots the running lights of the boat that Neumann is piloting?
3. When was Hoffman assigned to Abwehr headquarters in Berlin?
4. How long ago had Mary left Ireland?
5. What time does the bombing start in Chapter 45?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Neumann going to signal the U-boat?
2. Why had the U-509's movements been puzzling Braithwaite for weeks?
3. How does Martin Colville die?
4. When Catherine falls asleep in the van Neumann is driving, what does she dream about?
5. What is Vogel's theory regarding the information that Catherine Blake passed on?
6. What two explanations does Catherine think of when she notices Neumann following her?
7. What asset does Vogel have besides the money he has transferred out of the country?
8. In Chapter 43, why is Neumann troubled about the message he received from Vogel early that morning?
9. Why does Vicary want to coordinate the search from Grimsby?
10. What kind of shape is the van in that Neumann took from the Pope warehouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss how Jenny demonstrates courage in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how the author uses tension and other techniques to create suspense in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
While doing his job, Vicary wonders if he has been given a chance to redeem himself. Discuss why Vicary wants to redeem himself and why he thinks he is being given a chance to do that.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)