|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall is Neumann?
2. How long have Helen and David been married?
3. Who dies when the Camilla capsizes?
4. When did Kapitanleutnant Hoffman receive a Knight's Cross?
5. What part of Martin Colville's body was broken when he fought Neumann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Neumann believe that Cambridge could represent trouble, but the police in villages and hamlets do not pose much of a threat?
2. What do Neumann and Catherine do after they shoot and kill police officers at a roadblock?
3. How did Roach get into intelligence work?
4. What does Vicary tell Jordan's son, Billy, in a letter?
5. Why is Commander Lowe inclined to believe Charlotte Endicott when she tells him a German spy signaled a U-boat?
6. What does Vicary say when Jordan asks him if he regrets not marrying?
7. In Chapter 43, why is Neumann troubled about the message he received from Vogel early that morning?
8. How does Jenny stop the Camilla?
9. When Catherine falls asleep in the van Neumann is driving, what does she dream about?
10. Why does Neumann decide he has to find Jenny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why it is hard for Catherine to remember whose side she is on--German or English--and why she sometimes sympathizes with the British.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, characters use deduction to come to various conclusions. Discuss how characters solve problems and come to conclusions by using deduction.
Essay Topic 3
Vicary is the Double Cross officer for the British intelligence agency. Discuss Vicary's job and how his Double Cross network plays a critical role in the war effort.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)