|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Jenny Colville's eyes?
2. How many divisions do the Allies hope Hitler will keep in Scandinavia if they convince him that they will attack Norway?
3. What military rank does Vicary hold?
4. How many years did Catherine live in the United States when she was a girl?
5. Who is supposed to command the phantom army of a million men that the Allies want Hitler to believe they have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine contact Vernon Pope?
2. Describe the prison where Becker and other spies are held.
3. After the meeting with Hitler in Chapter 42, where does Vogel go?
4. In Chapter 15, where does Vicary believe that Vogel's agents are located?
5. On what type of food do the vast majority of British civilians survive the war?
6. How does Catherine lose Blair, Reeves, and Roach when they follow her in Chapter 39?
7. Why is it necessary to build an artificial harbor for the landing at Normandy?
8. How will the information that Catherine collects from Jordan get to Germany?
9. The first night that Catherine spends at Jordan's house, what is she able to accomplish?
10. Why does Catherine kill Rose Morley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why it is hard for Catherine to remember whose side she is on--German or English--and why she sometimes sympathizes with the British.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall mood of the novel and how the author uses mood throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss how the author uses tension and other techniques to create suspense in the novel.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)