|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Peter Jordan go to college?
2. Who is the superintendent of the Pope murder case?
3. How do the police say that Vernon and his girlfriend died?
4. What bridge did Jordan build that made him Engineer of the Year in 1938?
5. When did a case give Harry Dalton his big break when he was on the police force?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beatrice's killer try to make Beatrice's death look accidental?
2. How does Catherine lose Blair, Reeves, and Roach when they follow her in Chapter 39?
3. Why is MI5 in a panic at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. What does Vicary want to do now that they know that Catherine is a spy and has been getting information from Jordan?
5. Why does Catherine contact Vernon Pope?
6. Why is it necessary to build an artificial harbor for the landing at Normandy?
7. Why does Catherine regret her decision to go to the Popes for help?
8. Why does Catherine kill Rose Morley?
9. Why does Catherine decide to kill Vernon Pope and his girlfriend?
10. What led to Vicary's shattered knee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is based on historical events. Select two or three fictional events in the novel and show how the author establishes the probability of these events happening.
Essay Topic 2
Canaris and Schellenberg are often at each other's throats. Discuss Canaris and Schellenberg and why the men do not get along with one another.
Essay Topic 3
Jenny frequently goes off to a special hiding place to get away from her problems. Discuss Jenny and her problems and how she tries to cope with them.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)