|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname is used for Vicary and his partner, Harry Dalton?
2. When did Anna's mother die?
3. Where does Catherine have a scar she received during one of Vogel's silent killing classes.
4. What are the names of Vogel's daughters?
5. Where was Anna born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vogel burn his law books in 1933?
2. After the meeting with Hitler in Chapter 42, where does Vogel go?
3. Why does Catherine regret her decision to go to the Popes for help?
4. What does Vicary want to do now that they know that Catherine is a spy and has been getting information from Jordan?
5. Who is the Pelican?
6. Why is Peter Jordan living in a nice home rather than packed into a hotel or boardinghouse?
7. How did Beatrice's killer try to make Beatrice's death look accidental?
8. How does Catherine lose Blair, Reeves, and Roach when they follow her in Chapter 39?
9. Who joins the British Home Guard and what do they arm themselves with?
10. How will the information that Catherine collects from Jordan get to Germany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, characters use deduction to come to various conclusions. Discuss how characters solve problems and come to conclusions by using deduction.
Essay Topic 2
The novel is based on historical events. Select two or three fictional events in the novel and show how the author establishes the probability of these events happening.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why it is hard for Catherine to remember whose side she is on--German or English--and why she sometimes sympathizes with the British.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)