|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military designation does the place have where Becker is imprisoned?
2. Where did Catherine shoot Rose Morely?
3. What is Catherine able to photograph the first night she stays at Jordan's house?
4. In Chapter 39, what time does Catherine photograph the Kettledrum material?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 12, how many German agents does MI5 suspect may be operating in Britain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vicary want to do now that they know that Catherine is a spy and has been getting information from Jordan?
2. Why does Catherine contact Vernon Pope?
3. On what type of food do the vast majority of British civilians survive the war?
4. Why is MI5 in a panic at the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. Who joins the British Home Guard and what do they arm themselves with?
6. How did Beatrice's killer try to make Beatrice's death look accidental?
7. Why did Vogel burn his law books in 1933?
8. How does Catherine lose Blair, Reeves, and Roach when they follow her in Chapter 39?
9. The first night that Catherine spends at Jordan's house, what is she able to accomplish?
10. After the meeting with Hitler in Chapter 42, where does Vogel go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is based on historical events. Select two or three fictional events in the novel and show how the author establishes the probability of these events happening.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Pelican and Hawke and their roles in the British war effort. Are their roles related?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, characters use deduction to come to various conclusions. Discuss how characters solve problems and come to conclusions by using deduction.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)