* In Suffolk England during November of 1938, an artist and spinster named Beatrice Pymm is murdered as she walks home after a day of painting by the river.
* She is murdered by a German spy who needs a cover to enter England unnoticed.
* The murderer beats Beatrice's face to make it unrecognizable and buries Beatrice in a shallow grave to facilitate discovery of Beatrice's body.
* Near the grave are scattered identification papers of a young Dutch woman, the cover the murderer used previously.
* The murderer takes the stolen van to a field and burns it, then takes off on a motorcycle.
* The murderer is positive that no one will connect the stolen van and the murder.
* Chapter 2 moves ahead to August of 1939 when the Lauterbach family gathers at their large estate in Oyster Bay, New York.
* During breakfast, the conversation focuses upon Hitler and his intentions in...
This section contains 5,989 words
(approx. 20 pages at 300 words per page)